Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-25-2008   #1
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default ESPN "Insider" ranks AJ #4 among NFL WRs

4. Andre Johnson
Houston Texans
Johnson is big (6-3, 219), physical, runs solid routes and makes plays. In terms of physical tools, he is every bit as good as the three guys in front of him. He may have been overlooked in the past because of poor quarterback play (see David Carr 2003-06) but should improve as he works more with Matt Schaub. Johnson's numbers last season (60 catches, 851 yards) would have been more impressive if he had not missed seven games with an injury.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insid...3fid%3d3309135
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008   #2
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx
Default Re: ESPN "Insider" ranks AJ #4 among NFL WRs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
4. Andre Johnson
Houston Texans
Johnson is big (6-3, 219), physical, runs solid routes and makes plays. In terms of physical tools, he is every bit as good as the three guys in front of him. He may have been overlooked in the past because of poor quarterback play (see David Carr 2003-06) but should improve as he works more with Matt Schaub. Johnson's numbers last season (60 catches, 851 yards) would have been more impressive if he had not missed seven games with an injury.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insid...3fid%3d3309135
No big surprise. One on one you cant cover the guy.
Old 03-25-2008   #3
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Doesn't surprise me but I'm really glad he's getting recognized. I've always thought he's one of the best. If you're looking at a WR to have on your team though, I think he's #1 because of no only what he brings but his age. He's younger than Moss and Owens so from our franchise standpoint he'll play for us much longer AND bring just as much if not more. Plus he's a high character person.

Here's the rest:
1. Randy Moss
2. Terrell Owens
3. Steve Smith
4. Andre Johnson
5. Reggie Wayne
6. Larry Fitzgerald
7. Braylon Edwards
8. Chad Johnson
9. Plaxico Burress
10. Torry Holt
11. Anquan Boldin
12. Roy Williams
13. Marvin Harrisson
14. Brandon Marshall
15. Marques Colston
16. TJ Houshyourmomma
17. Greg Jennings
18. Hines Ward
19. Santonio Holmes
20. Lee Evans

forget it..i was gonna stop at 10 but thought it went through 15. Boy was I wrong- there's 64.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008   #4
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Doesn't surprise me but I'm really glad he's getting recognized. I've always thought he's one of the best. If you're looking at a WR to have on your team though, I think he's #1 because of no only what he brings but his age. He's younger than Moss and Owens so from our franchise standpoint he'll play for us much longer AND bring just as much if not more. Plus he's a high character person.

Here's the rest:
1. Randy Moss
2. Terrell Owens
3. Steve Smith
4. Andre Johnson
5. Reggie Wayne
6. Larry Fitzgerald
7. Braylon Edwards
8. Chad Johnson
9. Plaxico Burress
10. Torry Holt
11. Anquan Boldin
12. Roy Williams
13. Marvin Harrisson
14. Brandon Marshall
15. Marques Colston
16. TJ Houshyourmomma
17. Greg Jennings
18. Hines Ward
19. Santonio Holmes
20. Lee Evans

forget it..i was gonna stop at 10 but thought it went through 15. Boy was I wrong- there's 64.

I think he is better than TO, physically very close but equally as good plus a little younger. If AJ can catch the ball better with his hands he gets past T.O. easily. And he doesn't have the attitude.

Steve Smith, that's hard to argue, he is so freaking explosive so I can live with him ranked above AJ, although AJ can get past him with a great '08 - stat wise.

As far as Moss goes, he deserves to be number one, his talent is off the charts. Hands, speed, and high pointing the ball, it's poetry in motion.

I am so glad we have AJ, I love his demeanor, his work ethic, and his physical ability, he can play just as good as the ones ranked above him.

Last edited by Hardcore Texan; 03-26-2008 at 09:41 AM.
Hardcore Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008   #5
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 30021 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
I think he is better than TO, physically very close but equally as good plus a little younger. If AJ get catch the ball better with his hands he gets passed T.O. easily. And he doesn't have the attitude.

Steve Smith, that's hard to argue, he is so freaking explosive so I can live with him ranked above AJ, although AJ can get passed in with a great '08 - stat wise.

As far as Moss goes, he deserves to be number one, his talent is off the charts. Hands, speed, and high pointing the ball, it's poetry in motion.

I am so glad we have AJ, I love his demeanor, his work ethic, and his physical ability, he can play just as good as the ones ranked above him.
A little younger? AJ is 8 years younger. AJ produces as well as TO is now, so AJ is only going to get better has he gets older.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008   #6
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I was really surprised to see Fitzgerald so low. He's a lot like AJ. Terrell is more show than go anymore.
Old 03-25-2008   #7
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
A little younger? AJ is 8 years younger. AJ produces as well as TO is now, so AJ is only going to get better has he gets older.
I agree he will get better, that's why I said he easily beats out TO. I think AJ is better than TO now, age aside. Sorry I wasn't more specific with "a little younger", I thought it was a tad less, but WR can have a pretty long shelf life.
Old 03-25-2008   #8
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 23832 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

seems about right. I also believe he's better than TO as well though.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008   #9
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

I think AJ is 3rd also. I think his overall skill is better than Steve Smith, but he is nowhere near as explosive. Smith beats the press better than anyone I've ever seen. He can make most corners look silly at times. I think AJ has better size and presence, and at least as good route running and hands. The bad part is you can't really "teach" quickness or explosiveness, it's pretty much inherent.
Old 03-25-2008   #10
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 80379 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Oh some of these comments left on here are just the best:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Moron on ESPN
Hooperstown (8 hours ago) Report Violation | Ignore User Reggie Reggie Reggie!!! Are you serious after Andre Johnson and Steve Smith! I guess Smith is understandable but come on, Reggie carried the COLTS receiving core this past year and I might add was a starting receiver in the PRO BOWL! ANDRE JOHNSON??????? I might also add that just because Harrison had a knee injury does not put him below Roy EFFIN Williams on any day, that is just ridiculous.
Pages and pages of this. GOD I LOVE ESPN.
Old 03-25-2008   #11
YellerLotYeller
nice marmot

Rep Power: 188 YellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
dcs1737 (33 minutes ago) Report Violation | Ignore User
How is Jabar Gaffney not in the top 64 Wide Receivers in the league?
Oh my god....
YellerLotYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008   #12
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90044 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I was really surprised to see Fitzgerald so low. He's a lot like AJ. Terrell is more show than go anymore.
Some people just hate TO. I wouldn't say he is my favorite player either.

But the last two years he has been 1st & 3rd in the NFL in receiving TDs.

I would say he still has some game left.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008   #13
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
But he's now officially injury-prone
Old 03-26-2008   #14
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I remember a ton of fans dogging AJ when Carr was here as they made excuses for the gloved one...you know who you are.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008   #15
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 130706 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't like these numbered lists.

After you reach a certain level, its not about better but better fit.

It's like trying to number supermodels. There is no better, just different.

Who would you rather have on your team, Moss, Owens, or AJ?
Old 03-26-2008   #16
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Terrell Owens' TD stats for career:

All the single-digit years since 1999 are incomplete years for TO. I am no TO fan, like everyone else, because of his attitude. With that attitude, he robbed himself and his teams of probably even more production by missing time. If there is one stat that matters in football, it's scoring, and TO has scoreboard in that category. With 131 total career TDs, he ranks pretty highly all-time. Ignore the stats, and he still gives his football team a much greater chance to win than when he isn't there.

Gah ..... I feel dirty for defending TO now. Yuk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
AJ!!
Old 03-26-2008   #17
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
I don't like these numbered lists.

After you reach a certain level, its not about better but better fit.

It's like trying to number supermodels. There is no better, just different.

Hands down, I would rather have AJ.
Old 03-26-2008   #18
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8759 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Some people just hate TO. I wouldn't say he is my favorite player either.

But the last two years he has been 1st & 3rd in the NFL in receiving TDs.

I would say he still has some game left.
Dre would have been there if he hadnt missed 7 games. If Im building a team, Dre would be the 1st WR I would take, even over Moss. He does drop pass he should catch, but he also makes catches that should be dropped.
Old 03-26-2008   #19
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 357040 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Gah ..... I feel dirty for defending TO now. Yuk.
True, but I think this ranking reflects recognition that when AJ got a real QB his real potential was demonstrated. Playing just half a year he got a new high of 8 TD's plus was leading the league in yards per game.
Old 03-26-2008   #20
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

TO also drops passes he should make. Didn't he lead the league in dopped passes in '06? I'm not sure about last year- but he's notorious for dropping the easy ones.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read