Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-25-2008   #61
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Steve McKinney released

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
I had a lengthy back and forth email exchange with a writer from a Sporting News recently who was passing along offensive line myths in one of his recent articles. He was shocked to learn that McKinney, Pitts, and Weary were in the starting lineup in the Texans first game ever. Yeah, two were rooks but he now sees the light a little more clearly.
Keep fighting the hard fights.
Old 03-25-2008   #62
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
It's a shame Corey Bradford didn't play a bigger role in us winning that game.

It's kind of funny (not really) that it took us (me and the majority of fans) to realize how many of the sacks really were on DC. I truthfully didn't realize the extent of it until Schaub lined up behind center.

I looked at the play-by-play from game 1 against dallas. And i was just kind of saddened when looking at our passing plays. It basically went like this: Carr incomplet pass....inc. pass...inc. pass....inc. pass... touchdown to bradford...inc. pass..inc pass,...inc pass...inc pass...touchdown to bradford...inc. pass....-3 yards to running back....inc. pass...5 yd pass to running back, etc.

yikes.
I was a big time kool aid drinker in regards to Carr....
Old 03-25-2008   #63
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

Surprising thing about him was that he turned out to be good buddies with Carr after a lot of speculation that he didn't like him.

He was a good guy, but one thing I won't miss is hearing him talking about eating samwiches in the bathroom.
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008   #64
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, I for one was a little surprised at McKinney's release. It has been my thought (as well as others) that Steve would come into TC and battle it out with Myers and others for the starting position. I figured, worst case scenario, that Steve would be the backup Center/Guard, and I guess he still could be if he comes back for less money. But now it looks like this is Myers job (Center) to lose. I just wonder how much the money really had to do with this like they say, or maybe this is a Gibbs move to start getting his kind of players in position.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008   #65
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

I was a little surprised as well because of the cap implications (could have held onto him through training camp) and his versatility and experience (with all the younglings at guard), but Smith and co.'s record suggests that older guys that end the season on IR don't come back. The fact that it was an ACL and he wasn't a great run blocker to begin with when they ran zone in the Capers era could have factored in as well.
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008   #66
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

if he doesn't come back, farewell to steve, who gave his all for the texans, for very little appreciation. I respect and admire your service to the team, and wish you the best.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008   #67
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
With all the new names popping up more on the roster on the interior I thought this was only a matter of time. I'm not so sure things look good for Weary either at this point. The door is open for both but i wouldn't count on either being up for a starting position.

I didn't mind Steve at guard but being trotted out as a center did it for me. I'm glad we went and made the move for Myers. Thanks Steve you did your best and that's really all I can really ask from a player.
I don't see what you're saying. I mean you have a right to an oppinion but I would say the opposite as far as who we had available. Flanigan looked absolutely terrible at center, our running game didnt even get going until mckinney took over. I'm not saying the guy was a pro-bowler or anything but besides the injuries, I don't think he was a bad center at all.
Old 03-25-2008   #68
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

I'm a little sad to see Steve go, but with the signing of Myers this outcome wasn't unexpected. If he does find a job with another team then I wish him the best of luck, but if he doesn't I hope he'll consider coming back to the Texans in some capacity.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008   #69
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

He was a great part of the team, I hope he returns as a Guard.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008   #70
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_Gamer View Post
I don't see what you're saying. I mean you have a right to an oppinion but I would say the opposite as far as who we had available. Flanigan looked absolutely terrible at center, our running game didnt even get going until mckinney took over. I'm not saying the guy was a pro-bowler or anything but besides the injuries, I don't think he was a bad center at all.
Part of the problem indeed was who was available. I never liked the idea of Steve going to center but the injury bug combined with how bad Flannigan looked pushed him there. He was adequate, at best, playing center and to be honest just because he is an original texan being cut shouldn't gloss that over.

Barring a great offer from another team I'm fairly sure he'll resign. I'll be glad to welcome him back as a backup guard.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008   #71
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21314 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

the thing i always liked about him was that he seemed like a true fan of this team. an employee yes, but a fan of the texans as well. i too wish him the best and hope he returns in any capacity.

i am a huge chris white fan and i hope he's given a shot to compete with meyers.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008   #72
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Part of the problem indeed was who was available. I never liked the idea of Steve going to center but the injury bug combined with how bad Flannigan looked pushed him there. He was adequate, at best, playing center and to be honest just because he is an original texan being cut shouldn't gloss that over.

Barring a great offer from another team I'm fairly sure he'll resign. I'll be glad to welcome him back as a backup guard.
What are you talking about? McKinney was a hell of alot better at C than at G. You have it completely backwards. Go look up the Off-production in games he played Center compared to the games he played Guard and tell me there isnt a noticeable difference.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008   #73
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Great interview happening on 1560 the Game with McKinney. Right now.

I'm sure they are going to podcast it.

Good info, and really really funny in places.
Old 03-26-2008   #74
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Great interview happening on 1560 the Game with McKinney. Right now.

I'm sure they are going to podcast it.

Good info, and really really funny in places.
Please provide a recap when it is over.
Old 03-26-2008   #75
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Please provide a recap when it is over.
Only caught part of it. It's ongoing and there is a lot of funny irrelevant stuff too. (Raymond showed up).

The key information is that the Texans were uncomfortable going into OTAs and camps with no healthy center. Ergo Myers. McKinney wishes the timing of this was a little different. Yeah, teams are probably not that interested in olinemen with messed knee, but he wishes that teams knew that he might be an option. But he doesn't really crush them for it, because he understands.

I missed the beginning so I am waiting for the podcast.
Old 03-26-2008   #76
Lucky

Rep Power: 180779 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Rounding things off, Steve was due a salary of $1.35 mil this year and plus a pro-rated bonus amount of $1 mil per year (2 years remaining) for a total cap hit of $2.35 mil.

June 1st cut (and teams can now cut people before June 1st and still designate two players as June 1st cuts)--then you have $1 mil of dead money in 2008 and another in 2009. Re-sign him and you are at $1.85 mil this year. Not a whole lot of cap savings there.
That's why I don't think the Texans will re-sign McKinney. Unless they incur an injury on the O-line in the preseason, and McKinney is still available. This was more about the Texans wanting to go with guys like White, Studdard, and Frye as backups than it was about the money. McKinney isn't getting any better, the young guys could.
Old 03-26-2008   #77
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17026 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Faggins has cost us many many big plays agansit us ..... i cringe
Old 03-26-2008   #78
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 178253 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Never, but never use the word resign, rather use re-sign. Or you will be chastised as was I by the language gods! Beware! Beware, I say!
Old 03-26-2008   #79
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 50323 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Heresay, but I homie of mine in Houston said he heard on 610 that the Cowboys may be looking to pick him up.
OzzO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008   #80
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 178253 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzO View Post
Heresay, but I homie of mine in Houston said he heard on 610 that the Cowboys may be looking to pick him up.
Maybe Dallas could become to Texans what Texans are to Denver?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read