Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-25-2008   #21
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 21318 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Steve McKinney released

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesmanTexanfan View Post
Bye Steve!!
I'm not sold on it being bye yet, Steve could very well be back. Just at a much more cap friendly number.

Now this is definitly bye-bye to the starting line-up for Steve.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008   #22
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23128 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

I think the line is getting younger which is good. Versitilty is key. You need backups to play multiple spots. If spencer comes back, salaam is the swing tackle, mckinney can backup guard/center, 1 more guy should be guard/tackle backup. U need 8 olinemen, maybe 9 max.

I think the texans should be commended for giving the guy a chance to look around and come back. You can never have to many good football players.
leebigeztx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008   #23
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think this is completely it for Steve. If he doesn't go anywhere else and is healthy by training camp, I can see us signing him for less (back up money). But then again none of us really know what's going to happen with Gibbs manning the OL- which is a great thing. I think Steve could be a solid back up and I like his versatility between G and C. One thing is that we've had so many injuries, it'd be great to have as many versatile players as we can, like McKinney and Myers. But whatever gibbs wants to do- I will support. He may just say he wants all new young players to coach up and start from scratch.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008   #24
YellerLotYeller
nice marmot

Rep Power: 187 YellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybey the G-Men will give him a deal. That way he can be reunited with his buddy as back qb and center.

More than likely he'll be back for less money thouhg.
YellerLotYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008   #25
Goldensilence
Is this Sparta?

Rep Power: 9088 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
I think the line is getting younger which is good. Versitilty is key. You need backups to play multiple spots. If spencer comes back, salaam is the swing tackle, mckinney can backup guard/center, 1 more guy should be guard/tackle backup. U need 8 olinemen, maybe 9 max.

I think the texans should be commended for giving the guy a chance to look around and come back. You can never have to many good football players.
Until I see him out on the field with pads on I am not counting on Charles Spencer cracking the rotation. Would be nice to see that happen though...real nice.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008   #26
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 2837 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Old is good, if you have the right mix with the young.
Easy for you to say...
Old 03-25-2008   #27
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
Just at a much more cap friendly number.
How are you going to get a much more cap friendly number?

Rounding things off, Steve was due a salary of $1.35 mil this year and plus a pro-rated bonus amount of $1 mil per year (2 years remaining) for a total cap hit of $2.35 mil.

Non-June 1st cut, the $2 mil in dead money appears on this year's cap. Re-sign Steve at vet minimum of about $850k and he takes up a total of $2.85 mil or more than he was set to count.

June 1st cut (and teams can now cut people before June 1st and still designate two players as June 1st cuts)--then you have $1 mil of dead money in 2008 and another in 2009. Re-sign him and you are at $1.85 mil this year. Not a whole lot of cap savings there.
Old 03-25-2008   #28
Lucky

Rep Power: 103975 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellerLotYeller View Post
Maybey the G-Men will give him a deal. That way he can be reunited with his buddy as back qb and center.
I think McKinney's more likely to go back to Indy, with his good buddy Peyton.
Old 03-25-2008   #29
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

This is a move by Smith and Kubes to allow a player to have time to land with another team. I thought McKinney would be a valuable back up but more is known than by me. Maybe Spencer is thought to be ready to go by game one as a guard. Or some of the others. I just do not see value to cap by releasing him and ICak pointed out why. Move caught me by surprise, but I see it as a positive that we can be stronger without S.M.
Old 03-25-2008   #30
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Check it out about releasing McKinney.

PFT (scroll down)

Florio needs a kleenex.
Old 03-25-2008   #31
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Does anyone know for sure if Myers is going to be the Center. We have quite a few centers and very few guards. Would it be real bad if Eslinger was the center and Myers played guard?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008   #32
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 15293 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Does anyone know for sure if Myers is going to be the Center. We have quite a few centers and very few guards. Would it be real bad if Eslinger was the center and Myers played guard?
I'm pretty sure Myers will be our starting center from game one.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008   #33
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I wonder how this effects our 1st round pick.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008   #34
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Quote:
I wonder how this effects our 1st round pick.
Little to none i would think. We're likely going w/ a CB or LT in the 1st round
Old 03-25-2008   #35
Polo

eh...

I like White, Eslinger and Meyers...
Old 03-25-2008   #36
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2029 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

Quote:
I believe Meyers will be our starting center, but chemistry with Schaub could affect a lot.
Old 03-25-2008   #37
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 44196 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13 View Post
Check it out about releasing McKinney.

PFT (scroll down)

Florio needs a kleenex.
Here is the wording of the press release:

Quote:
TEXANS RE-SIGN P TURK; RELEASE McKINNEY

HOUSTON – The Houston Texans re-signed free agent P Matt Turk and released C Steve McKinney, the team announced today.

Turk (6-5, 247) played in all 16 games last season, his first with the Texans. He averaged 41.7 yards per punt with a net average of 37.4. 24 of his 55 punts (43.6 percent) were downed inside the opponents’ 20-yard line, while only three resulted in touchbacks.

Turk’s 41.7-yard gross average and 37.9-yard net average were both Texans team records, as were the 151 total punt return yards allowed to Texans opponents. His 44.5-yard net average in Week 16 at Indianapolis (12/23) also set the club single-game record. In 12 NFL seasons, Turk has averaged 42.4 yards per punt with a net average of 37.4 yards per attempt. Only 354 of his 917 career punts (38.6 percent) have been returned.

Turk becomes the sixth free agent from last year’s roster to re-sign with the Texans. He joins WR André Davis (2/29), SS Glenn Earl (3/7), TE Mark Bruener (3/10), FS Will Demps (3/20) and N.D. Kalu (3/20).

McKinney (6-4, 305) played in 83 games as a Texan, starting 73 at both guard and center. The former Texas A&M product was signed by the Texans on March 6, 2002 as the team’s first unrestricted free agent.

This is what Florio said:

Quote:
He was the first unrestricted free agent signed by the Texans franchise, and he played in 83 games during his six seasons in Houston. In our view, the team’s release announcing the transaction doesn’t begin to do justice to his contributions to the expansion franchise
All I have to say is...

Steve McKinney is a great American.

One of the few people on the early Texans team who was able to show his personality to the world.

Best wishes to Steve.
Old 03-25-2008   #38
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19489 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Good luck to you Steve and thanks for being a Houston Texan.

I wouldn't mind to see him back as good depth, guess it all depends how that injury is coming, Gibbs and Kubes know what's best. This is an exciting time....I can't wait for OTA's and to see how the roster starts to take shape.
Old 03-25-2008   #39
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Does anyone know for sure if Myers is going to be the Center.
Suffice it to say, its clearly his job to lose.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008   #40
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 17967 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Like TC said, Steve McKinney is a great American. Ain't nobody gonna bareknuckle 'im.

Best of luck to him.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read