Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-27-2008   #121
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans sign safety Nick Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
That is just your draft board, that is why every team has a different one. But 5 slots to me is not a reach at all .. That is why you see a guy Like Chris Williams going anywhere from 11 to 20. Every year there is one player that drops and it is a shock to everyone.
Notre Dame fan can attest to that with Brady Quinn....

Had to Spec...
Old 03-27-2008   #122
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 119055 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
You mean five additional spots? He was not expected to fall to us.

Huh?
ChampionTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008   #123
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That is just your draft board, that is why every team has a different one. But 5 slots to me is not a reach at all .. That is why you see a guy Like Chris Williams going anywhere from 11 to 20. Every year there is one player that drops and it is a shock to everyone.
You seem to be twisting my words. I did not say a player could not move up or down the board but I would not use #18 for a player that I thought would be available 5 spots lower. Does that clarify? Example, you need a corner and on your board you have Cason at #23. All CBs you rated higher are gone. You might reach for Cason but I probably would not. I would try to trade down to 21 or 22 or 23. If you think you can't do that and you absolutely have to have your guy and there is no satisfactory player in later round that can approach your guy, then pull the trigger. IMO that is not the case with RB, LT or CB this draft.
Old 03-27-2008   #124
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Huh?
See my edit on post #116.
Old 03-27-2008   #125
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipTraxx View Post
Im either way when it comes to reaching. I do have a question though...with the talk of reaching. If we had not picked Mario #1 do you think he would've fallen 5 slots?
I think the guys who go Top 10 are not going to slide much--I think the mock boards get it pretty right in terms of who's going Top 10. You might have a Brady Quinn or Leinart who just plummets...but then again, that's the media analysts who had those types of guys (usually QBs) rated wayyyy to highly IMO.

To answer your question: I don't think Mario would have slid any further than the 3rd, or possibly 4th pick. New Orleans went BPA and, well...ya' know the rest. Either they really loved Reggie Bush, or they faked it really well. I don't think they wanted Mario as badly as they wanted Reggie Bush. And THAT'S a BPA mentality if there ever was one.

Let me ask a question of everyone: Would we have picked up Travis Johnson in the first round if we had possessed a fairly good defensive line at the time? He seems like a 2nd, maybe even a 3rd rounder now that you look back on it. TJ was a BIG reach, and I think it was due to needing more beef on the line. Our guys were aging (Gary Walker/Seth Payne) and getting injured (Gary Walker and Seth Payne) or gassed; we needed new blood on the line. TJ was what they thought they needed.
Old 03-27-2008   #126
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I think the guys who go Top 10 are not going to slide much--I think the mock boards get it pretty right in terms of who's going Top 10. You might have a Brady Quinn or Leinart who just plummets...but then again, that's the media analysts who had those types of guys (usually QBs) rated wayyyy to highly IMO.

To answer your question: I don't think Mario would have slid any further than the 3rd, or possibly 4th pick. New Orleans went BPA and, well...ya' know the rest. Either they really loved Reggie Bush, or they faked it really well. I don't think they wanted Mario as badly as they wanted Reggie Bush. And THAT'S a BPA mentality if there ever was one.

Let me ask a question of everyone: Would we have picked up Travis Johnson in the first round if we had possessed a fairly good defensive line at the time? He seems like a 2nd, maybe even a 3rd rounder now that you look back on it. TJ was a BIG reach, and I think it was due to needing more beef on the line. Our guys were aging (Gary Walker/Seth Payne) and getting injured (Gary Walker and Seth Payne) or gassed; we needed new blood on the line. TJ was what they thought they needed.
To this minute I do not know why we picked TJ. I just include him in my bedtime prayers that he keeps getting better.
Old 03-27-2008   #127
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Notre Dame fan can attest to that with Brady Quinn....

Had to Spec...
What was the running back who sat in the green room until the second round? You know the one from A&M.

EDIT: Leeland McElroy
Sponsored links
Old 03-27-2008   #128
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
To this minute I do not know why we picked TJ. I just include him in my bedtime prayers that he keeps getting better.
I felt it was out of the idea that FSU defensive players were still the cream of the crop. You can remember the days when WRs came out of Miami and DBs and LBs/DLs came out of FSU...they had a crazy defense back in the day.

I think Capers saw a big guy in a program that had trended toward producing great defensive players, players with grit, and it "looked" good.

Drafting in the middle of the first round is so iffy, IMO. You got guys that are probably not Top 10'ers...but then they might also really be late 1st or early 2nd rounders. You might be really over paying in the mid-1st round (see Travis Johnson, for an example). I'd rather draft Top 10 or at the end of the 1st round. Just seems you have a lot more clarity than right in the middle of the 1st round. But that's just my feelings on it.

That's why I am amazed that we have spotted DeMeco, Winston, Spencer and grabbed them where we did. I actually think that we had those guys eyeballed...and we knew that other teams would pass on them, but that we could spend higher picks and STILL get guys like DeMeco/Spencer/Winston.

Like I said: It will be very interesting to see what we fish for at 18. I'm beginning to be more of a fan of the drama of the draft than anything else...until preseason starts, and then I'm transformed out of the cocoon and into a butterfly.

NFL is the best sport to follow: They operate like a great TV show (24, for example) that keeps you hanging on at all the right spots and for just the right amount of time during each phase of the year!
Old 03-27-2008   #129
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You seem to be twisting my words. I did not say a player could not move up or down the board but I would not use #18 for a player that I thought would be available 5 spots lower. Does that clarify? Example, you need a corner and on your board you have Cason at #23. All CBs you rated higher are gone. You might reach for Cason but I probably would not. I would try to trade down to 21 or 22 or 23. If you think you can't do that and you absolutely have to have your guy and there is no satisfactory player in later round that can approach your guy, then pull the trigger. IMO that is not the case with RB, LT or CB this draft.
That is the thing I am saying, 5 spots is not that much, but your not drafting 5 spots lower you drafting now, so you would just say screw it and not take a guy over 5 spots? That does not make anysense to me at all.
Old 03-27-2008   #130
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What was the running back who sat in the green room until the second round? You know the one from A&M.

EDIT: Leeland McElroy
Leeland McElroy was one of my favorite college players growing up! It seemed like every time he caught a punt or kick off he returned it for a touchdown. Where did he end up playing? I thought he may have been with the Cardinals but not sure how long he made it in the NFL.

Nevermind- this is way off course of the subject: safety nick ferguson... I'll just look it up later.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008   #131
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
That is the thing I am saying, 5 spots is not that much, but your not drafting 5 spots lower you drafting now, so you would just say screw it and not take a guy over 5 spots? That does not make anysense to me at all.
Sorry. I just don't think I can splain my self any better.
Old 03-27-2008   #132
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Quote:
Sorry. I just don't think I can splain my self any better.
I understand what you are saying and I just do not agree.
Old 03-27-2008   #133
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Let me ask a question of everyone: Would we have picked up Travis Johnson in the first round if we had possessed a fairly good defensive line at the time? He seems like a 2nd, maybe even a 3rd rounder now that you look back on it. TJ was a BIG reach, and I think it was due to needing more beef on the line.
TJ was the top ranked DT in his class and was expected to go in the 1st round.
Old 03-27-2008   #134
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we saw this coming.

http://texanstalk.com/forums/showpos...22&postcount=3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaayteetx
another former bronco...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan
Exactly, consider him signed.
Old 03-27-2008   #135
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
TJ was the top ranked DT in his class and was expected to go in the 1st round.
Looking at the first two rounds, it was a very weak draft for defensive tackles. 64 picks in rounds 1 & 2...and 5 of the 64 picks were DTs, with TJ being the first DT taken at slot 16 in the first round.

TJ might have been the top ranked DT, but that's not saying much. It's not as if there was overwhelming DT talent laying around.

Maybe TJ turns the corner. I'm indifferent at this stage. He caught a bad break by coming into the great 2-14 season, and yet it's not like he's nailing down his spot or really solidifying himself.

Kinda' funny that we traded down with New Orleans to their No. 16 in the first round, and they jumped up to our original spot at No. 13 and picked up Jammal Brown (later becoming a Pro Bowl offensive tackle).

It's always easy to say "Look what we missed...why'd we do that?" but that's the way it goes!
Old 03-27-2008   #136
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Looking at the first two rounds, it was a very weak draft for defensive tackles. 64 picks in rounds 1 & 2...and 5 of the 64 picks were DTs, with TJ being the first DT taken at slot 16 in the first round.

TJ might have been the top ranked DT, but that's not saying much. It's not as if there was overwhelming DT talent laying around.
And that is why he was taken where he was rather than top 10 like a lot of the top rated DT's have been taken. You want to see a bad DT year, look at 1998--none taken until the 4th round.

Quote:
Kinda' funny that we traded down with New Orleans to their No. 16 in the first round, and they jumped up to our original spot at No. 13 and picked up Jammal Brown (later becoming a Pro Bowl offensive tackle).

It's always easy to say "Look what we missed...why'd we do that?" but that's the way it goes!
The lesson I get from that one is to tune out 90% of what draftniks say since 90% of them said Brown would have to be a RT in the NFL.
Old 03-27-2008   #137
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 24956 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

what ever happened to frank okam?
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008   #138
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2030 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Leeland McElroy was one of my favorite college players growing up! It seemed like every time he caught a punt or kick off he returned it for a touchdown. Where did he end up playing? I thought he may have been with the Cardinals but not sure how long he made it in the NFL.

Nevermind- this is way off course of the subject: safety nick ferguson... I'll just look it up later.
As player:
1996-1997
1999 Arizona Cardinals
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Denver Broncos
Indianapolis Colts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
I don't really know what to look for in a DT prospect, but his 40 time seems a bit low, like 5.3, and scouts say he's inconsistent. He "often looks disinterested at times." Meh. :o I don't really know where he'll go.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...php?pyid=33733
___

But on the topic of Nick Ferguson, welcome to Houston!
Old 03-27-2008   #139
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
He's a big boy, but he doesn't move that fast. He's expected to be a tree stump in the NFL and probably go in the 3rd or 4th round. I'd say that there are plenty of DT's ranked ahead of him including Red Bryant from TAMU.

EDIT: When I told my buddies that we were picking up a fairly old safety from Denver, everybody said "Lynch?"

I don't know how I would feel about that, probably okay.
Old 03-28-2008   #140
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

contract numbers...

Quote:
As expected, the Texans signed free agent safety Nick Ferguson on Thursday.

Ferguson, 33, received one-year deal for the $730,000 minimum for a player entering his ninth season. Ferguson, 5-11, 201, played the last five seasons for Denver.
Link

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read