Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-27-2008   #101
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx
Default Re: Texans sign safety Nick Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I was hot on STewart until toe surgery but all I read says he should miss at most two games. He did run 4.4 at combine with that injury. I really want Williams LT if he slides but I would not put $ on that. Recent mocks have Stewart going to Dallas. If Williams not there #18 and no earth shattering trade is offered, I am leaning again towards Stewart. Forte my alternate will be gone by our third imo. If we had a 2nd to get Forte that would really open of the draft.
Dont get me wrong i think stewart is the truth. Just with all our needs, the new ZBS system and the fact that the Oline has holes in it i just dont feel its likely. I'd love the pic too.

Williams will prolly be gone. Leaving CB's that are worthy of the 18 pick. Talib from Kansas, Justin King Penn State, Brandon Flowers Vtech, MAYBE Cason or Mike Smith may fall but i doubt it. If we go with a corner i like Talib. Seems like a slighty more polished ( and slightly bigger) Bennett.
Old 03-27-2008   #102
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 140377 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipTraxx View Post
Dont get me wrong i think stewart is the truth. Just with all our needs, the new ZBS system and the fact that the Oline has holes in it i just dont feel its likely. I'd love the pic too.

Williams will prolly be gone. Leaving CB's that are worthy of the 18 pick. Talib from Kansas, Justin King Penn State, Brandon Flowers Vtech, MAYBE Cason or Mike Smith may fall but i doubt it. If we go with a corner i like Talib. Seems like a slighty more polished ( and slightly bigger) Bennett.
All the CBs you list are a reach at #18 for me. Talib lower and King is moving up but I project him very low first to high second. Kid has killer speed though. I could see a scenario in which the team drafts three corners.
Old 03-27-2008   #103
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
All the CBs you list are a reach at #18 for me. Talib lower and King is moving up but I project him very low first to high second. Kid has killer speed though. I could see a scenario in which the team drafts three corners.
well in that case give me Cason. Interesting secenario...which ones would we pick in that case?
Old 03-27-2008   #104
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Quote:
When you say it is a reach are you talking about more than 5 slots? Because I think when you look at a board sometimes you may reach just a bit on a player because of the position.
Old 03-27-2008   #105
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I was hot on STewart until toe surgery but all I read says he should miss at most two games. He did run 4.4 at combine with that injury. I really want Williams LT if he slides but I would not put $ on that. Recent mocks have Stewart going to Dallas. If Williams not there #18 and no earth shattering trade is offered, I am leaning again towards Stewart. Forte my alternate will be gone by our third imo. If we had a 2nd to get Forte that would really open of the draft.
Something tells me this is who we want and who we really are going to try and get. I'm not sure if he goes in the 2nd, I think he falls because of the national attention guys like Felix Jones, Allen Patrick, Steve Slayton have.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008   #106
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

I could see us taking 2 corners in the draft(one high, one low) but not 3, maybe a udfa pickup later, but it's not like we have no corners. we added another vetran safety, but I think we will be adding a 2nd day saftety also to groom.I really have a sneaking suspicion that RB, LB and DE could be higher on Smith/Kubiak's board than we think though.
Old 03-27-2008   #107
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_Gamer View Post
I could see us taking 2 corners in the draft(one high, one low) but not 3, maybe a udfa pickup later, but it's not like we have no corners. we added another vetran safety, but I think we will be adding a 2nd day saftety also to groom.I really have a sneaking suspicion that RB, LB and DE could be higher on Smith/Kubiak's board than we think though.
Yeah they're some nice LB's. Keith Rivers is good...like Patrick Willis good but he'll be gone.IMO
Old 03-27-2008   #108
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

The draft never goes how I expect it to. I think we should go BPA in the first of CB, LT, RB, S, DE, OLB, or whatever. I have faith in our staff.

Edit: This is hilarious, I clicked "last page" and I totally forgot what thread I was in because it was all about draft talk. The offseason has many different exciting aspects about it. It's too easy to be sidetracked this time of the year.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008   #109
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstars View Post
The draft never goes how I expect it to. I think we should go BPA in the first of CB, LT, RB, S, DE, OLB, or whatever. I have faith in our staff.

Edit: This is hilarious, I clicked "last page" and I totally forgot what thread I was in because it was all about draft talk. The offseason has many different exciting aspects about it. It's too easy to be sidetracked this time of the year.
Very true. I didnt see us picking Amobi. I love the pick but i was leaning towards Willis considering he went right after to SF.
Old 03-27-2008   #110
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
When you say it is a reach are you talking about more than 5 slots? Because I think when you look at a board sometimes you may reach just a bit on a player because of the position.
Especially when you don't have a 2nd rounder to utilize...it's a loooong time before we get our second pick, so you gotta' see what's there and say "We need this position, and there's not a guy who'll be available in the third who can do what we need to be done...."

Reaching is not bad, as long as you know the guy fits your system. I never felt comfy with what Capers and Casserly were consistently trying to build. One of the worst "reaches" was Jason Babin, but I can see a lot of improvement with our drafting and free agency acquisitions (especially in terms of the contracts) with Kubiak and Smith.

Drafting 10th last year was cool because you knew we'd land a Top 10 player, but waiting to see what we'll do further down in the first round is going to be very interesting! Might be more fun than when Amobi's name was called.
Old 03-27-2008   #111
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Especially when you don't have a 2nd rounder to utilize...it's a loooong time before we get our second pick, so you gotta' see what's there and say "We need this position, and there's not a guy who'll be available in the third who can do what we need to be done...."

Reaching is not bad, as long as you know the guy fits your system. I never felt comfy with what Capers and Casserly were consistently trying to build. One of the worst "reaches" was Jason Babin, but I can see a lot of improvement with our drafting and free agency acquisitions (especially in terms of the contracts) with Kubiak and Smith.

Drafting 10th last year was cool because you knew we'd land a Top 10 player, but waiting to see what we'll do further down in the first round is going to be very interesting! Might be more fun than when Amobi's name was called.

Im either way when it comes to reaching. I do have a question though...with the talk of reaching. If we had not picked Mario #1 do you think he would've fallen 5 slots?
Old 03-27-2008   #112
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 140377 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
well in that case give me Cason. Interesting secenario...which ones would we pick in that case?
Ok, Williams and Stewart are gone and the only other player that interests me at #18 that might slip is Mendenhall is gone also.

I'd trade down desperately hoping I could do a deal for Atlanta's twos.

2a Sam Baker or Anthony Collins for your LT
b Forte for your RB who will prolly be gone by our pick in 3rd.Jamaal Charles if there would get some consideration.

c My gut says we do get this for Sage and I go with Justin King or Tracy Porter Cb/FS/KR http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...php?pyid=33075

3rd: Charles Godfrey Cb/FS http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...php?pyid=33090

or Chevis Jackson Cb/KR http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...php?pyid=33164

4th: Tyvon Branch Cb/FS/KR with kick butt speed. http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...php?pyid=32938

5th: part of trade down for Atlanta's twos
6th: Chris Myers trade
7th:BPA and hope Smith can do a Zach DIles again.

This gives you very solid players & probable starters in second round. Very possible CB starter in 3rd regardless of which you draft and in 4th a very strong back up in 4th. This could shake up defense and really strengthen DBs and yet address needs at LT and RB. I do not see any other "need spot" to be filled this season.
Old 03-27-2008   #113
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
I would not select a player at #18 that would prolly be there at 23 if that answers your question. With maybe an exception like Stewart.
Old 03-27-2008   #114
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Quote:
I would not select a player at #18 that would prolly be there at 23 if that answers your question. With maybe an exception like Stewart.
You think mario would've fallen 5 slots?
Old 03-27-2008   #115
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Something tells me this is who we want and who we really are going to try and get. I'm not sure if he goes in the 2nd, I think he falls because of the national attention guys like Felix Jones, Allen Patrick, Steve Slayton have.
From what LZ said Forte has climbed from 3rd to 2nd potentially. Jones may go in first but Patrick and Slayton are different type runners. Hoever Jamaal Charles reall intrigues me if there in 2nd for the ZBS. I think he'd be great in that scheme.
Old 03-27-2008   #116
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
You mean five additional spots? He was not expected to fall to us.

NOTE** I must apologise, In my hurry to respond to different posts I read Okoye and just realized you said Mario. Not sure on Mario, but I doubt 5 spots.

Last edited by badboy; 03-27-2008 at 03:30 PM.
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008   #117
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Slotting is not nearly as precise as you are making it out to be.

Quote:
No, but maybe. The first reports after the draft were 7 teams had Mario at #1 on their boards and the remainder had him at #2. There was one conflicting report later that New Orleans would have taken AJ Hawk.
Old 03-27-2008   #118
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_Gamer View Post
We have one for sure starter at Cb in Bennett. It is quite possible Dunte may never play Cb again. Reeves will compete but many have labeled him as a back up. I want two solid starters even if one is rookie like F.B. was last season. At least one solid Cb that could step up to start if required and could play nickle. Faggins & Fletcher were often ridiculed last year. Note in my post above most Cb's could play FS. We have plenty of SS an Brandon Mitchell and Brandon Harrison can play SS.
Old 03-27-2008   #119
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That is just your draft board, that is why every team has a different one. But 5 slots to me is not a reach at all .. That is why you see a guy Like Chris Williams going anywhere from 11 to 20. Every year there is one player that drops and it is a shock to everyone.
Old 03-27-2008   #120
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Slotting is not nearly as precise as you are making it out to be.

No, but maybe. The first reports after the draft were 7 teams had Mario at #1 on their boards and the remainder had him at #2. There was one conflicting report later that New Orleans would have taken AJ Hawk.
I have no idea what you are talking about?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read