Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-25-2008   #1
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans sign safety Nick Ferguson

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5646876.html

Quote:
The Texans are bringing in free agent safety Nick Ferguson for a visit today.

Ferguson, 33, started seven games for the Denver Broncos last season.

The Texans are looking to add another veteran safety to go with C.C. Brown, Will Demps and Glenn Earl.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008   #2
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 31996 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans to look at safety Nick Ferguson

another former bronco...
Old 03-25-2008   #3
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaayteetx View Post
another former bronco...
Exactly, consider him signed.
Old 03-25-2008   #4
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
another former bronco...
Personally, I don't care where he's from. If we can get above-average safety play with some depth by hiring nothing but rodeo clowns I'm all for it.

Additionally if we can get some decent safety depth and then target other areas in the draft I'm all for that, too.
Old 03-25-2008   #5
TigerV1
All Pro

Rep Power: 91 TigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Smokescreen for the draft?
Old 03-25-2008   #6
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
another former bronco...
and another STRONG safety...

in all seriousness though, I don't think it can hurt. We do have CC Brown and Glenn Earl that I think are more than sufficient at SS. I'm fine with bringing in Ferguson is he's paid to be the backup he will be.

I'm interested to see how some of the young guys like Brandon Harrisson are developing. I havn't really seen him play (practice or at Stanford). For those that have, will he be in the SS mix or is he a viable option as a FS for us down the road?
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008   #7
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I could see this signing happening with opening day roster of CC Brown & Harrison @ SS Demps & Ferguson @ FS.

Glenn Earl is an unrestricted free agent next season, think his status is on shaky ground, not sure how much dead money or cap savings if released outright?

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-25-2008   #8
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Ferguson's play showed a down turn in 2007 after having suffered an 2006 season ending knee injury which required surgery. The Broncos have taken the direction of essentially youthening their safety position. It's interesting to note that he was nicknamed "train wreck" while in NFLE when he mowed over one of his own team mates on his way to a tackle................sort of gives me flash backs of Spencer........
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008   #9
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
and another STRONG safety...
I think we all need to reevluate the safety position for this team.

I'm not sold on the fact that Kubiak and Co. feel the need for one safety to be the designated in the box guy and the other to be the centerfielder type. I think they are looking for a pair of safeties capable of playing both roles equally well.

Now is this the right idea? I have no idea, but from looking over the past signings and draftings of safeties I'm starting to think that we the fans do not have the good of a grasp on what the coaches want from the SS and the FS.

Last edited by Errant Hothy; 03-25-2008 at 03:47 PM.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008   #10
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 6461 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post

I'm not sold on the fact that Kubiak and Co. fell the need for one safety to be the designated in the box guy and the other to be the centerfielder type. I think they are looking for a pair of safeties capable of playing both roles equally well.

Now is this the right idea? I have no idea, but from looking over the past signings and draftings of safeties I'm starting to think that we the fans do not have the good of a grasp on what the coaches want from the SS and the FS.
You are right for the most part. There are a handful on this sight that understand that the Texans are running a combo safety package where effectively the safties play both positions. So there isnt neccesarily a designation of FS or SS in this system that is why Brandon Harrison was a smart pick since that is the system he ran in college. And also why there is no chance(IMO) the Texans take Kenny Philips in the draft.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008   #11
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'm not sold on the fact that Kubiak and Co. fell the need for one safety to be the designated in the box guy and the other to be the centerfielder type. I think they are looking for a pair of safeties capable of playing both roles equally well.

Up to last year, our safety play has been relatively poor, especially the free safety play. There has not seemed to have been a priority to fixing that position ( we had so many other holes ). But if you look at how Smithiak is approaching things, they're always looking for 2-fers............ie., versatility.
I see this as no exception, if they are out there to be gotten.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008   #12
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Interesting theory and reason number 459 why I love this board: Intelligent people with intelligent thought processes.
Old 03-25-2008   #13
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Up to last year, our safety play has been relatively poor, especially the free safety play. There has not seemed to have been a priority to fixing that position ( we had so many other holes ). But if you look at how Smithiak is approaching things, they're always looking for 2-fers............ie., versatility.
I see this as no exception, if they are out there to be gotten.
Anyone ever get the feeling that our D Coord. sucks?
Old 03-25-2008   #14
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 6461 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipTraxx View Post
Anyone ever get the feeling that our D Coord. sucks?
Apparently you do. What did that have to do with the post you quoted. This is not the first time you have popped a 1 liner in a tread like this. Sub par safety play thru the first part of last season and the previous 5 had alot more to do with talent level than it did the DC employed by this franchise.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008   #15
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'll definitely agree with pretty much all of this-nice post. I'm still wanting a ballhawking FS that can either deflect the ball in the air or intercept it instead of what we have now, but am slowly realizing that's not going to happen. Demps, imo has been a big improvement. I constantly saw him get to the WR as the guy was catching the ball. It'd be a catch if Demps didn't hit him... but i'm still wanting a guy that can get there before the WR even touches it- outlook is doubtful.

I was big on LaRon Landry last year over Reggie Nelson for the fact Landry was excellent in run support and tackling, where I was not fond of Nelson. This is when I thought the staff really valued the tackling issue over pure ballskills- in both safety and corner play. Moot point since Landry was selected before us and we got Amobi This is also why I think Mike Jenkins would not be a good fit for our team- he's one of the worst tackling CB's in the draft (or at least of the 1st round talent).

I also think that the coaching staff doesn't place a lot of value in the safety play. By that I mean investing a high draft pick in one. I think Phillips actually fits into what this staff likes in a safety. I think Phillips would probably have better cover skills than most on our team. Supposedly he's suited more for SS on most teams but for a team like ours he could be on the field because of the guys we're trying to go for. I'm not trying to say I want Phillips to be the pick at #18, but just saying he ties more into the kind of safety we're actually looking for than a pure cover safety, imo.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008   #16
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

This means Jason Simmons is not coming back? I liked J.Simmons, he could play multiple positions.
Old 03-25-2008   #17
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
This means Jason Simmons is not coming back? I liked J.Simmons, he could play multiple positions.
So did I. Same with Hutchins which is why i wondered why they let him go. But Rick knows what he's doin....
Old 03-25-2008   #18
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipTraxx View Post
So did I. Same with Hutchins which is why i wondered why they let him go. But Rick knows what he's doin....
I think guys like Simmons and Hutchins are nice for a building team; far as versatility is concerned.

Moving forward I expect to see less of guys like that around.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008   #19
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Anyone interested in this guy in round 4 if we end up with a 2nd round? Note that as a CB he is also projected as FS/KR as alternate position. Has size and speed. With LT, RB and CB in rounds 1,2 & 3 I can lean towards T.B. as a backup FS and CB.http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...php?pyid=32938
Old 03-25-2008   #20
Polo

Maybe I understood wrong, but I disagree with our defensive scheme being built around our safeties being interchangeable...

Maybe the type of guys they want in those positions is not what most fans envision, but I think our FS and SS have defined roles...

Anything less would be uncivilized.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read