Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 03-23-2008   #1
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 381485 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What if Roger Staubach got this gig?

Quote:
Caleb Campbell will graduate from West Point this spring, but if he’s lucky he’ll be drafted, an unusual goal for a newly-minted alum.

Campbell, a strong safety for the Cadets, will be “excused from his five-year service commitment” if he lands on an NFL roster.

Sports Illustrated reports that his military responsibilities would be to “serve as a recruiter for the Army during and after the NFL season, speaking to young people and working at the local recruiting office wherever he plays.

Naval Academy graduates Roger Staubach and David Robinson, to name two, put their pro careers on hold to serve. For Staubach, that included a year in Vietnam.
Link

Staubach is my favorite QB of all time. Always wondered what would have happened if he had not been in the service (wonderful he did and wonderful the Cowboys, as much as folks love to hate on them, drafted and waited on him).
Old 03-23-2008   #2
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What if Roger Staubach got this gig?

I've always thought that having good sports team at the military schools was a good way to go. I'm sure the requirement to serve after graduation is a real hindrance to them when it comes to recruiting top talent. I would still require the students to serve in some capacity either during or after their playing days are over. Exactly how much the player served would be open to debate.

Just think how good it would sound when a well known football player scores a TD if the announcer says "remember folk, this young man is a West Pointer so he'll be defending our country when his playing career is over".

David Robinson was a great representative for the Academy after he got out. What if there was a few more guys like David in football, basketball and baseball (do they have a baseball team?).

Not to mention, it might make the Army vs. Navy game interesting again.

Last edited by Hagar; 03-23-2008 at 10:35 AM.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008   #3
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Link

Staubach is my favorite QB of all time. Always wondered what would have happened if he had not been in the service (wonderful he did and wonderful the Cowboys, as much as folks love to hate on them, drafted and waited on him).
Yup, I have always admired Roger for doing his duty and for the Cowboys for waiting for him. Of course that was when the Cowboys were a team worthy of admiration and respect.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008   #4
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 381485 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
Of course that was when the Cowboys were a team worthy of admiration and respect.
Think about what both sides of that equation did. The Cowboys spent a draft pick on someone they knew would not play for years. Roger spent his leave to go to training camp each year. The real mystery in the equation was after all that Landry had analysis paralysis in an otherwise fantastic coaching career over starting Roger.
Old 03-23-2008   #5
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 199341 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Think about what both sides of that equation did. The Cowboys spent a draft pick on someone they knew would not play for years. Roger spent his leave to go to training camp each year. The real mystery in the equation was after all that Landry had analysis paralysis in an otherwise fantastic coaching career over starting Roger.
Footballs equal to Ted Williams .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008   #6
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Chad Henning was in the Air Force and the Cowboys waited on him as well...
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008   #7
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 139057 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Another hated team, but a guy I had respect for was Rocky Blier who played in the NFL for a season, then shipped off to Viet Nam where he was injured by shrapnel - received a Purple Heart and Bronze Star before returning to the NFL.
Old 03-24-2008   #8
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
Yup, I have always admired Roger for doing his duty and for the Cowboys for waiting for him. Of course that was when the Cowboys were a team worthy of admiration and respect.
I love Roger. Of course being a Boys fan, one of my faves as a kid. I will say your last sentence kind of makes me laugh though because they still had guys like Hollywood Henderson and others that were just as bad as the Irvin's out there. All teams did. Just like the old Boys had Roger, Dorsett, Cliff Harris, Charlie Waters...the new ones had Aikman, Moose, Emmitt and others. When you have a team of 53 there are always bad apples.
Old 03-24-2008   #9
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12220 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
I've always thought that having good sports team at the military schools was a good way to go. I'm sure the requirement to serve after graduation is a real hindrance to them when it comes to recruiting top talent. I would still require the students to serve in some capacity either during or after their playing days are over. Exactly how much the player served would be open to debate.

Just think how good it would sound when a well known football player scores a TD if the announcer says "remember folk, this young man is a West Pointer so he'll be defending our country when his playing career is over".

David Robinson was a great representative for the Academy after he got out. What if there was a few more guys like David in football, basketball and baseball (do they have a baseball team?).

Not to mention, it might make the Army vs. Navy game interesting again.

Abner Doubleday graduated from West Point in 1842. Not sure if you've heard of him, but he created our beloved game while he was a cadet. So, logically, the Black Knights play on Doubleday Field. Not a huge facility, but is very well kept.

I'm kind of torn on this issue, but I somewhat agree with Hagar that a cadet should still be requried to serve in some capacity if given the opportunity to persue a professional atheletic career. I think it could provide for greater visability to the academy that they are representing and might encourage some to apply that migh not.

GO ARMY BEAT NAVY! Hooah!

This got me to digging around and I found out that in 2005, an alternative service option was created allowing for two years active duty and six years in the reserves. Second Lieutenant Nicholas Hill was signed by the Mariners to a minor league contract and will go to OCS (Officer Candidate School) at Ft. Benning in the off-season. Hill will be stationed where ever the team moves him too and serve as a recruiter/public affairs officer.

Last edited by hookinreds; 03-24-2008 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Added more info
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read