Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 03-21-2008   #1
JayCee
Veteran

Rep Power: 14 JayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden cover
Default Restricted Free Agents

I was trying to figure out the rules behind restricted free agents, but I'm confused on one point.

If a player doesn't receive a 'qualifying offer' from his current club (and no offers from other teams) then does the player just receive his 4th year salary in his original contract?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restricted_free_agent
Quote:
In the National Football League, a restricted free agent (RFA) is one with three accrued seasons of service, who has received a "qualifying" offer (a salary level predetermined by the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the league and its players) from his current club. He can negotiate with any club through a certain date. If the restricted free agent accepts an offer sheet from a new club, his old club has "right of first refusal," a seven-day period in which it may match the offer and retain him, or choose not to match the offer, in which case it may receive one or more draft picks for the upcoming draft from the player's new club. If an offer sheet is not executed, the player's rights revert to his old club the day after negotiations must end.
JayCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008   #2
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Restricted Free Agents

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCee View Post
I was trying to figure out the rules behind restricted free agents, but I'm confused on one point.

If a player doesn't receive a 'qualifying offer' from his current club (and no offers from other teams) then does the player just receive his 4th year salary in his original contract?
RFA is kind of like the Holy Hand Grenade--thou shalt proceedeth to 3, not 4, and 5 is right out.

Your scenario assumes the player has a contract in excess of three years. A RFA is a player who has three (exactly) accrued seasons and is not under contract. So a player on year three of a four year contract is not a RFA and never will be one. At the end of his contract he will be UFA.
Old 03-22-2008   #3
JayCee
Veteran

Rep Power: 14 JayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden cover
Default Re: Restricted Free Agents

well there you go, after your explanation it makes perfect sense.
i though they were still under contract, which is why i was confused.

thanks.
JayCee is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read