Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 03-20-2008   #1
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88
Default So Long Michael Boulware . . .

He signed with Minnesota for an undisclosed amount

Quote:
The Minnesota Vikings have signed safety Michael Boulware and defensive tackle Kenderick Allen. Both are veterans with starting experience and each will enter their fifth NFL season in 2008.

Boulware is a former second- round pick by Seattle in 2004 where he started 28 regular season games and earned consensus All-Rookie honors in 2004. He started in Super Bowl XL where he had an interception off Ben Roethlisberger and has 13 career picks, including playoffs. He was traded from Seattle to Houston prior to the start of the 2007 season and he saw time in all 16 games for the Texans.
Old 03-20-2008   #2
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: So Long Michael Boulware . . .

I didn't even know he was a free agent

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008   #3
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

A special tear in my eye as the Babin deal finally has some closure. I'm going to miss his occasional special teams tackle and him trailing a wide open receiver. Oh the memories.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008   #4
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 13034 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

... ... ... I hope we get Babin back ....
Brandon420tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008   #5
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

The only play I remember him from this season is blocking either a FG or an extra point. He did get close a few other times. I guess that's the only thing I'll miss about him.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008   #6
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 26409 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

What's a Babin?
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008   #7
Giant Tiger
Hall of Fame

Location: Smiths Falls, Heart of the Rideau Canal-UNESCO World Heritage Site
Rep Power: 9888 Giant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respected
Thumbs down Re: So Long Michael Boulware . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
I didn't even know he was a free agent
Neither did I. So what did we give up to pick Babin? Was it two picks? So we end up with nothing.
Giant Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-21-2008   #8
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I'm going to miss his occasional special teams tackle and him trailing a wide open receiver. Oh the memories.
I'm hoping he won't be asked to cover any tight ends like Dallas Clark in the NFC North.

Oh, wait, Greg Olsen is up there....
Old 03-21-2008   #9
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

A Babin is a tweener-type, too small to play DE, too slow to play LB, player that your bone-headed GM spends too many picks (or whatever) to trade up to get, presumably because your bone-headed HC told him, "I want this 'Babin' at all costs."

PS-A Babin is still better than a Carr or a Boselli.

PS2-This team needs more Ryans, Daniels, Jones, etc. than Babins, Carrs, and Bosellis. That's why we got Smibiac.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008   #10
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 7197 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Boulware gone...signs w/ Minny

Decent ST player, but I didn't see him do anything for Texans defense...guess our net for the Babin trade is a big zero.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

VIKES ADD TWO
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 20, 2008, 6:51 p.m.

The Minnesota Vikings today added two defensive free agents, signing safety Michael Boulware.

Decent ST player, but didn't see if do anything for the defense.

“I had a great meeting with the coaches and liked the direction that the organization is going,” Boulware told the Minneapolis Star-Tribune. “I think this gives me a great opportunity to come here and get better as a player.”

Boulware is expected to back up starting safeties Darren Sharper and Madieu Williams, and he should be a solid addition to the special teams. Boulware spent three seasons with the Seahawks and at one point looked like one of the league’s more promising young safeties, but he lost his starting job in Seattle in 2006 and spent 2007 as a backup in Houston.

Mods pls move to NFL...I thought this was borderline.

Texan, back in Texas!
Texan in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008   #11
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Boulware gone...signs w/ Minny

Tbd

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008   #12
Xetuoh1836
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 Xetuoh1836 is a Pro BowlerXetuoh1836 is a Pro Bowler

Here's a link:

http://ww3.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=1466

The further we get away from DCX2 and CC "the terrible", the better! We didn't even try to sign him for depth, even with our ??? in our secondary.
Xetuoh1836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

really bone headed player, who failed to salvage anything from that blown draft pick(s)

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008   #14
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Assigning blame for the Babin deal and I don't see Vic Fangio's name even mentioned? What is wrong with this country? I think Boulware is still looking for Dallas Clark.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008   #15
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 87001 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected
Thumbs up Re: So Long Michael Boulware . . .

IIRC, Boulware was the one who was called for a holding penalty in the last JAX game when AD recovered the fumble. The fact he couldn't play his way onto a greatly depleted Texans secondary speaks volumes. May the remnants of dumb Casserly moves continue to be exorcised from the team.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008   #16
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30856 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan in Japan View Post
Decent ST player, but I didn't see him do anything for Texans defense...guess our net for the Babin trade is a big zero.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

VIKES ADD TWO
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 20, 2008, 6:51 p.m.

The Minnesota Vikings today added two defensive free agents, signing safety Michael Boulware.

Decent ST player, but didn't see if do anything for the defense.

“I had a great meeting with the coaches and liked the direction that the organization is going,” Boulware told the Minneapolis Star-Tribune. “I think this gives me a great opportunity to come here and get better as a player.”

Boulware is expected to back up starting safeties Darren Sharper and Madieu Williams, and he should be a solid addition to the special teams. Boulware spent three seasons with the Seahawks and at one point looked like one of the league’s more promising young safeties, but he lost his starting job in Seattle in 2006 and spent 2007 as a backup in Houston.

Mods pls move to NFL...I thought this was borderline.
I think it was a net 0 for both teams, as Seattle got nothing out of Babin last year as well.

Babin will never live up the hype given to him be Capers.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008   #17
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Jason Babin was just a first round pick that never panned out.

Just like Reggie Bush and Vince Young were both first round picks that won't pan out.

But now Mario, he's definately one that will pan out.

Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008   #18
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
I think it was a net 0 for both teams, as Seattle got nothing out of Babin last year as well.

Babin will never live up the hype given to him be Capers.
I am hesistant to say that. In a world where the 2002 Texans could cut a player like Greg White (because you know, we're just made of depth and we can throw away draft picks like cheap hookers can go through coke) and then the same guy can come back in 2007 for the Tampa Bay Bucs and rack up 8 sacks I'm not counting anybody out until they're way, waaaay out.
Old 03-21-2008   #19
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30856 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I am hesistant to say that. In a world where the 2002 Texans could cut a player like Greg White (because you know, we're just made of depth and we can throw away draft picks like cheap hookers can go through coke) and then the same guy can come back in 2007 for the Tampa Bay Bucs and rack up 8 sacks I'm not counting anybody out until they're way, waaaay out.
Maybe but I think Babin exploding for a huge seaon ala White is about as likely as Boulware having a double digit INT year.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008   #20
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I guess you're right. Everything associated with the trade to get Babin and the ensuing years of waiting for Babin to step up followed by the trade of Babin is just hard for me to look at. That we end up with absolutely nothing to show for all of it just seems somehow fitting doesn't it?

In hindsight I think that my own disillusionment with the Texans (version 1.0) really did begin with the trade up to secure Babin. I remember thinking "WTF?" during that draft when it was announced that we'd done that. It didn't last for very long but I was like "I have a doubt...." right there at that moment. The next year when they watched them trade down and ignore Jammal Brown and Derrick Johnson (among other notable players still on the board) to settle for Travis "The Slug" Johnson I was hit with another creepy "Oh man this ain't good" moment. 2005 of course was the year that it all came undone and we were finally free.

In both of those seasons in particular Casserly did some inexplicable crap and cost the team dearly. That's one man I think deserves to be repeatedly kicked in the nuts for all the damage he did to the early years of this team. Worst general manager I've ever seen work in my life by a long shot.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read