Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-20-2008   #1
camron1269
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 camron1269 was voted MVPcamron1269 was voted MVPcamron1269 was voted MVP
Default Reggie Smith CB/S Oklahoma

I seriously think we should draft this kid. I watched a few sooners games and Smith is a beast. We definitely need cornerback help and when dunta comes back we could even use him at safety if and when one of our 3 safeties (ccbrown, demps, earl) gets injured. we need corner and safety, this guy will take care of both pretty much. also, i have some insider news (not sure if it has been announced or anything) that he ran a 4.3 yesterday. that's impressive considering he is rehabbing from a foot injury. heck, its impressive anyways. he is ranked fairly low among corners most places (around 6-8) because they don't know about his speed, but with this report, he should be going up lists. As a safety, I haven't seen him lower than 2 behind phillips.
I say we seriously consider Reggie Smith even if there are players like Phillips, King, Flowers, Bennett, Porter, Jenkins, and maybe even Talib are available because of his versatility in the defensive backfield. thoughts?
camron1269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008   #2
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88
Default Re: Reggie Smith CB/S Oklahoma

Reggie Smith didn't work out yesterday, he's holding a private workout on April 9th. He didn't work out at the combine either which is making me wonder why not. I wouldn't mind drafting him but I want to see what kind of numbers he puts up first.
Old 03-20-2008   #3
camron1269
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 camron1269 was voted MVPcamron1269 was voted MVPcamron1269 was voted MVP

he didnt work out at the combine because he was rehabbing his foot injury. he says he couldve done a 4.4 at the time but knew he could run better so he waited and now he ran a 4.3
Old 03-20-2008   #4
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by camron1269 View Post
he didnt work out at the combine because he was rehabbing his foot injury. he says he couldve done a 4.4 at the time but knew he could run better so he waited and now he ran a 4.3
Are you sure he worked out? The official OU website and NFL.com are both saying he didn't work out.
Old 03-20-2008   #5
camron1269
Rookie

i dont know if it was an official workout for a team or OU or anything but i just know for a fact he ran in the 4.3s in the past couple of days. maybe it was just with his trainer
Old 03-20-2008   #6
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

reggie smith is one of those sleeper players like merling that not many (including me) have seen much or know that much about but could easily end up being texans
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008   #7
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

hard to miss Smith if you watch much Sooner ball, he's a ballhawk. think his natural position is FS, excellent in run support, can blitz & does have some ball/return skills. but yeah its easy to forget some players I know, would be ideal if the Texans traded out of the 1st rd. & picked him up early 2nd

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-09-2008   #8
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story;jsess...o&confirm=true

Clocked a 4.65 and a 4.61, now you know why I never really beleive anything until it's official.
Old 04-09-2008   #9
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
hard to miss Smith if you watch much Sooner ball, he's a ballhawk. think his natural position is FS, excellent in run support, can blitz & does have some ball/return skills. but yeah its easy to forget some players I know, would be ideal if the Texans traded out of the 1st rd. & picked him up early 2nd
Well considering some of the times posted , I'm wondering if he has the tallent to be coached up enough to get by at Cb for ten games or so..When the dust settled you'd have some interesting problems if he does have the feet and hips to make the transition.
Old 04-09-2008   #10
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Well considering some of the times posted , I'm wondering if he has the tallent to be coached up enough to get by at Cb for ten games or so..When the dust settled you'd have some interesting problems if he does have the feet and hips to make the transition.
guess I just don't weight forty posted times as that significant. so what he has'nt been running since before end of season, I can't understand why anyone would expect him to burn up the track today & Oklahoma Sooners 2nd Pro-Day workout.

DB Reggie Smith (6-0 1/8, 192): Ran the 40 in 4.65 and 4.61, had a 39 -inch vertical jump, 10-foot, 9-inch long jump, 4.03 short shuttle, 6.70 cone drill, ran position drills

what catches my eye is his VJ/BJ that shows me expolosion & the quickness to react faster than the man he's locked up with, any little mistake in the route or ball deleivery & can capitalize. he is also excellent in run support, & can fill the lanes like a linebacker, similar to Flowers, maybe cover two (here we go again) regardless is a solid db with skills to play in the league for years.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008   #11
Polo

4.6 ?

Thats rather slow...
Old 04-09-2008   #12
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd take him in the 2nd or 3rd as a FS easily. Not sure if he is worth our first round pick though. When it is all said and done, he will probably be selected at the end of the first, beginning of the second.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008   #13
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
4.6 ?

Thats rather slow...
It's not that slow, espically if he were to play FS in the NFL.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008   #14
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
It's not that slow, espically if he were to play FS in the NFL.
IMO 4.61 and 4.65 are rather slow times for any DB.
Old 04-09-2008   #15
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Those times probably cost him a round and he goes mid to late 2nd round as a projected FS instead of a late 1st Round CB. He is a good player though and any team will be fortunate to get him so late. Its all about speed in pads anyway. track times are just a barometer and not what really matters, plus his other measurables were pretty solid.
Old 04-09-2008   #16
Polo

I don't put much stock in 40 times...Just opinioning that it's kinda slow...
Old 04-09-2008   #17
camron1269
Rookie

damn that is slow. sorry for the misleading. ill have to ask what the hell was going on. i know he ran below a 4.4. malcolm kelly was complaining about surface could it make that big of a difference. over .2 seconds?
well this probably takes him out of contention for being the texans pick unless we trade down. id still love to have him on the team especially if we can get him somewhere in the second with a trade or something because i think he is going to be really good and should be a top 20 pick.
Old 04-10-2008   #18
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
Those times probably cost him a round and he goes mid to late 2nd round as a projected FS instead of a late 1st Round CB. He is a good player though and any team will be fortunate to get him so late. Its all about speed in pads anyway. track times are just a barometer and not what really matters, plus his other measurables were pretty solid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by camron1269 View Post
damn that is slow. sorry for the misleading. ill have to ask what the hell was going on. i know he ran below a 4.4. malcolm kelly was complaining about surface could it make that big of a difference. over .2 seconds?
well this probably takes him out of contention for being the texans pick unless we trade down. id still love to have him on the team especially if we can get him somewhere in the second with a trade or something because i think he is going to be really good and should be a top 20 pick.

ed reed ran high 4.6's/4.7... jason allen ran 4.3.. which one would you want starting at safety for you? just saying

4.6 is plenty fast coming off an injury and if he plays big and fast on game tape
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008   #19
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post

ed reed ran high 4.6's/4.7... jason allen ran 4.3.. which one would you want starting at safety for you? just saying

4.6 is plenty fast coming off an injury and if he plays big and fast on game tape

I don't think anyone said that, because his time wasn't particularly fast he was going to be a bad player...Atleast I didn't...

(I don't think Reed was that slow)
Old 04-10-2008   #20
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post

Ed Reed ran a 4.52 during his time getting ready for the draft . . .

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read