Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-06-2004   #21
Lucky

Rep Power: 213963 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

What's the 1st tiebreaker in the NFL in determining playoff seeds? Head to Head results.

Look, I'm not defending the BCS. It's a joke. But so are the polls. There's no such thing as a NCAA Division I-A football championship, there's no real college football champion. Until they take the conference champions and put them in a playoff, who cares?
Old 12-08-2004   #22
MikeMc
All Pro

Last year (K-State winning B12 conf) UT did not get screwed. The system played out. KSU beat OU.....OU went to nat'l championship, UT left out. The way it should have gone was USC & LSU for 'ship...OU & KSU would still have gotten BCS Bowls, UT still out. The system worked (to some degree).

So don't be bitter if UT always gets "screwed". Here is an idea, maybe UT should play their schedule..beat the teams on it...and shut up! It seems to work for OU, USC, LSU,etc. over the years. It sucks that OU is UT's daddy!

As for the BCS. Since its inception....there have been two (three maybe this year) split NC-ships. From 1978 to 1996, there were two! Seems like the old system worked better! Automatic Bowl tie-ins, inter-conf rivalries....and a better NCAA football experience. Oh well, I'll just stick to watching C-USA's championship game (starting next year) and call it a season!

Funny thing...if you go to BCS's website, it actually has all the conferences in D-1A (and Notre Dame)..... now that is funny! Sure they include all conferences. What a freakin joke!!
Old 12-08-2004   #23
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

if the big 12 weren't split up and no big 12 "championship" Ut would have gotten the nod given their head to head record against K-state..

If the queen had balls she'd be king. I guess

the whole thing is stupid.. the focus shouldn't be that Texas got in and Cal didn't , should be PITT got in and CAL didn't ...but I do understand the contracts and the whole this conference has to have one in the BCs also
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004   #24
MikeMc
All Pro

Well, when the BCS was formed, Miami & VaTech were in the Big East. I think the tweaking the BCS will do next is to get the Big East tie-in out. That way they have one more "At-Large" bid, that could go to a more deserving school, thus helping any other possible "non-BCS" schools. At least that is how they will spin it. Of course this year it would have gone to CAL....then most people would be happy.

In the end, it is the BCS system that people are mad at...not UT, PITT, or CAL.

But stop whinning (Mack Brown), let your coaching & play do the talk..not you.

You can Talk the Talk, but can you Walk the Walk? (not last year in Holiday Bowl vs. WAZZU!)
Old 12-08-2004   #25
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
What's the 1st tiebreaker in the NFL in determining playoff seeds? Head to Head results.
That is true but this isn't the NFL. How many times have the NCAA underscored that fact?

Remember a few years ago when Florida State went to the BCS Championship Game even though they lost to Miami, another 1 loss team? And Miami had lost to Oregon, another one loss team? Should Oregon have been in the championship game because they beat Miami and Miami beat Florida State? I don't think so. Head to head results are important but not omnipotent.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004   #26
MikeMc
All Pro

ANyone ever hear of the "Slippery Rock" theory?? Small DII school that should have been the NCAA National Champ based on the team x beat team y, who beat team z....etc.

Go to their website....it is interesting.
Old 12-08-2004   #27
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

yeah I did that theory once when I was a teenager. It was the last time I bet on a superbowl... it was when S.F beat the Dolphins and my theory was that Pittsburgh beat S.F in the regular season.. Dolphins beat Pitt in the playoffs ,so the Dolphins should be S.F. in the Super Bowl.. didn't quite workout for me

That is a dollar I never got to see again
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-08-2004   #28
Lucky

Rep Power: 213963 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
Remember a few years ago when Florida State went to the BCS Championship Game even though they lost to Miami, another 1 loss team? And Miami had lost to Oregon, another one loss team?
It was Washington, not Oregon. And yeah, I remember. What you posted just proves how absurd the polls and the BCS selection process are. You're trying to find logic in an illogical college football world. We should have had a playoff series rather than guessing who should be invited.

It's either playoffs or nothing as far as I'm concerned. Here's how it should break down:

Week 1
Fiesta Bowl - USC #1 (Pac -10) vs. Pitt #8 (Big East)
Holiday Bowl - Utah #4 (Mid Major #1) vs. Michigan #5 (Big 10)
Cotton Bowl - Oklahoma #2 (Big 12) vs. Louisville #7 (Mid Major #2)
Gator Bowl - Auburn #3 (SEC) vs. Va. Tech #6 (ACC)

Week 2
Rose Bowl - Highest remaining seed vs. Lowest remaining seed
Sugar Bowl - Remaining 2 winners

Week 3
Orange Bowl - Rose Bowl Champ vs. Sugar Bowl Champ

Only conference winners should have the right to play for the national championship. Winners play winners. And the NCAA should set aside 1/4 of the playoff field to mid-major schools or independents. It's a system that's fair and would generate fan interest.
Old 12-08-2004   #29
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Oh I had forgotten, Washington beat Miami. Oregon had beaten Washington and had one loss until they finished the regular season by losing to Oregon State. The BCS is a joke. We need a playoff system of some sort.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004   #30
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Didn't Michigan get thumped by Ohio State this year???

Actually I think Auburn should be ranked above both USC and Oklahoma. They look like a better team to me than either one of those teams.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004   #31
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 402769 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Thumbs down

Two words that mean cheese as far as college football is concerned to me:

dual championship

Just the idea is dumb. How can there be two number ones?!?

I just can't take it seriously until they get a legit playoff system for determining the champion.
Old 12-08-2004   #32
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38657 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected

I hear Cal fans are blaming UT for being out of the BcS. Memo to Cal fans if you had beat USC you would be ranked #3 and out of The Big Game.OU would be playing Auburn and Cal would be in the Rose Bowl playing UT.It is the BcS system that should be attacked not UT!
axman40 is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read