Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2008   #141
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sage for Vikes 3rd rumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
You realize that only one of those players has seen significant action, and I think Winston's value vs. Sage's value is very much debatable.

The other two are pretty much balls of potential.

I don't get how that helps your case.
What do they have in common, they were/is stars in the making, for JJ and CS before injury. Solid starters with high ceilings.

He was one of 4 starting rookies, how did the other rookies turned out? Well, you already know the answer to that. and he was going down that road too. He had a very high ceiling, and very highly thought off by Kubs & Sherman.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #142
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

nm.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #143
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
What do they have in common, they were/is stars in the making, for JJ and CS before injury. Solid starters with high ceilings.

He was one of 4 starting rookies, how did the other rookies turned out? Well, you already know the answer to that. and he was going down that road too. He had a very high ceiling, and very highly thought off by Kubs & Sherman.
One of four starting rookies on a team filled with sub-par talent.

What-an-accomplishment./sarcasm In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king.

Getting too far off course. Those guys haven't proven to be more valuable than Sage.

A possible third rounder may or may not be more help than Sage. We know we have a guy that can win us games at the QB position. That's a pretty valuable asset to trade away based on what we may or may not get in return from a third rounder. I have faith in the Texans' scouting dept. too, but unless it's headed by Jesus Christ himslelf I'm not gonna assume that everything they lay their hands on is guranteed to be a sure fire success.

Last edited by Polo; 02-28-2008 at 09:46 PM.
Old 02-28-2008   #144
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

My, my, my...

So many "We need him" posts. "Don't do anything for less than a 2nd rounder!!!!" You guys would have sold him for a 5th before this past season.

Why so many posters so cautious about this deal? Because you know Schaub is always one hit away from looking like a pile of fallen Jenga blocks. Again.

Sage looked great. Schaub looked great...on the bench, shaking the cobwebs off and wearing a cap. Forget the stats. Sage was on his feet, smiling and waving at the fans after wins. Schaub was hobbling and unable to continue. But I know, I know...spare me the hate mail...Schaub was hit "worse" and in just the right spots to be seriously hurt. And I'm a turrd for saying so. I got it.

(Man, it feels good to post on this topic again)
Old 02-28-2008   #145
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 54609 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
My, my, my...

So many "We need him" posts. "Don't do anything for less than a 2nd rounder!!!!" You guys would have sold him for a 5th before this past season.

Why so many posters so cautious about this deal? Because you know Schaub is always one hit away from looking like a pile of fallen Jenga blocks. Again.

Sage looked great. Schaub looked great...on the bench, shaking the cobwebs off and wearing a cap. Forget the stats. Sage was on his feet, smiling and waving at the fans after wins. Schaub was hobbling and unable to continue. But I know, I know...spare me the hate mail...Schaub was hit "worse" and in just the right spots to be seriously hurt. And I'm a turrd for saying so. I got it.

There is a reason you are in the witness protection program.
Old 02-28-2008   #146
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
So you knew the Gianst were legit Super Bowl contenders all along ? Because of the late rd. talent they had drafted?

I'm pretty sure you just knew the Pats would fall short because of stockpiling on WR's via free agency instead of through the draft.

riiiight.

I'm glad you simplified the game of football down to such an exact science. Draft late, trade high. Someone get on the phone with Texan management and coaching staff pronto!!!

I don't get these set rules when it comes to football. I think every situation needs to be evaluated by it self.
Your are totally missing the point.

When you look at the Giants roster that played in the Super Bowl, you will see that their later round draft picks over the past several year made serious impacts in that game. The Giants GM looks like a genius now.

Keeping Sage or trading Sage isn't going to make the Texans a playoff team. Hopefully we can agree on that.

How the Texans draft in the later rounds make the team. It's the same for every team in the NFL.

If the biggest roster decision for the Texans is keeping or trading Sage, that means the roster has some serious holes.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #147
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183543 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
riiiiiiiight.. except those little tell-tale signs of them saying 'matt is our starting qb' or kubiak saying at the end of last year 'sage can/wants (not sure which) be a starter somewhere in this league'= not a ringing endorsement
Chronicle Feb 23
Quote:
Despite the difference in pay, [Rick] Smith said the team won't hesitate to start Rosenfels if he outplays Schaub this season.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-28-2008   #148
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 246968 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

For a 2nd round pick I make this deal. It's admittedly a leap of faith but then sometimes you need to do that in order to climb the ladder in this league. Sage also would very much like to be an NFL starter and so I'm sure he's interested in a deal like this.

It's one of those deals where you're going to either be a genius or a scapegoat when it's over. The Texans have hitched their cart to Schaub and I can understand if they decide to move Sage while he's got value.
Old 02-28-2008   #149
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 246968 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
Indeed. I wouldn't have seen his post if you hadn't quoted him. This subject is the whole reason why I have GP on my ignore list (along with a few others).
Old 02-28-2008   #150
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 82785 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
My, my, my...

I just have a hard time saying either one of them played great. Sage played ok. Schaub played ok. Sage did it with Andre and against bad teams. Schaub did it without Andre (well that's not true.. Schaub convinced us we had answered the 2nd/3rd WR questions by making Davis look like a star). Sage also had an entire year in this offense. Schaub didn't. Depth in this league is a luxury, no doubt. But I for one would rather have the Luxury of having a better OL or DB or OL or RB STARTING than the luxury of having a top 5 backup. Maybe if our OL was a little better we wouldn't have seen so much of Sage.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #151
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 82785 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

double post

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #152
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Chronicle Feb 23

Quote:
Despite the difference in pay, [Rick] Smith said the team won't hesitate to start Rosenfels if he outplays Schaub this season.

and thats a clear signs they have doubts in schaub? sounds more like typical GM speak
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #153
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183543 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post

and thats a clear signs they have doubts in schaub? sounds more like typical GM speak
Quote:
My shoulder's fine, I'll be out there starting by the time the season begins
Tony Boselli
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #154
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Tony Boselli
indeed..

tony bosselli saying that is all the proof i need that rick smith is just playing reverse psychology on the sage/schaub situation
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #155
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

I say do in a heartbeat and draft a guy like Dennis Dixon or John D. Booty in the 5th Round to develop.
Old 02-28-2008   #156
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2029 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
I say do in a heartbeat and draft a guy like Dennis Dixon or John D. Booty in the 5th Round to develop.
I wouldn't mind either of them at all.
Old 02-28-2008   #157
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected

Well according to this site, via Pro Football Talk, the deal between the Vikings and the Texans is dead for now.

http://www.dailynorseman.com/story/2008/2/28/214813/572

Pro Football Talk is reporting that the trade talks between the Beloved Purple and the Houston Texans involving QB Sage Rosenfels are officially off. Houston wanted a second round pick in exchange for Rosenfels, and the Vikings wanted to give up a third. Neither team would budge, so there's no deal as of now.

Last edited by Texans Pride; 02-28-2008 at 11:26 PM.
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #158
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
LOL.

I still cannot figure out why people won't let go of Schaub. He's slow getting away from the center, slow to react to pressure, and is fragile. It was a nice attempt to upgrade the QB position. I liked it when it went down in the offseason, but the herd is once again refusing to see the obvious: The anointed QB has no clothes.

All I know is that Sage is still standing, still smiling, and he did it with an even MORE banged up oline than what Schaub had. The depths that people have gone to, to save face for the Schaub deal and maintain that "all is well," is amazing. I don't know that Sage is THE starter...but he's the same QB as Schaub, except he somehow stays upright more often. Advantage: Sage. Look, this is less about how much you guys think i looooover Sage. And it's more about how much I think Schaub is NOT our starting QB for much longer (mostly due to his enormous injured-to-playing QB ratio). Sage outside of Kubiaks system (in Minnesota, for example) probably flounders BIG TIME.

Schaub looks awesome when everything is perfect. He reads a defense better, he has a stronger arm and better placement. But I defy you to show me where the NFL provides QBs with a sterile and safe environment for the majority of QBs (not named Brady or Manning). People need to dis-associate themselves for a second and recognize that Schaub DOES have some faults that have hurt him. It really is true, guys. Just sayin'....
Old 02-28-2008   #159
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

I believe we're scheduled to play the Vikings this year on the road so if a deal for Sage were to happen that could prove to be an interesting matchup. That being said I wouldn't trade Sage for a 3rd rounder. Didn't AJ Feeley go for more than that? If the Vikings were to offer a 2nd round pick then I'd be more open to the idea.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #160
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

This was rather interesting...

I think all things equal, trade Sage for a 3rd rounder would be great. However, unfortunately things really aren't that great in Houston currently.

1. Matt Schaub has been injured- he has the potential and shows us flashes of being a great great QB in this league but unfortunately got injured twice last season, had shoulder surgery during the offseason and he is somewhat of an unknown (only plus was it was his non-throwing shoulder).

2. On top of that, Houston doesn't have a formidable Offensive Line yet. I'd feel more comfortable putting all our eggs in the Schaub basket if our offensive line was already solid but it's far from it.

3. Then throw in the fact that we really don't know what our RB situation is and don't have a reliable running back the consistently hand the ball off to. We really don't even know who our RBs are gonna be next season.

Because of our current situation, I don't see how we can gamble that much in trading Sage away. I think Smith did a smart thing. If our OL was solid and we had a solid RB to hand the ball off to, I'd do it for a 3rd... but we don't.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read