Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2008   #121
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Age: 44
Posts: 3,021
Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sage for Vikes 3rd rumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
It is, but Sage still has 2, count 'em 2, seasons left on his contract buddies. So he could still stay here, start a few more times at the end of the season, get some more value (Cause he seriously shot himself in the foot that last game vs Jacksonville, he was pretty bad), and then we could get picks for him.

The point is, he's not leaving after next season as a UFA, because he's still under contract at that point.
Yeah, and his trade value is higher because it's less risk for a team that acquires him because they have two years to evaluate his progress at a cheap price.

Besides, Schaub could go down again, Sage bombs and then there is no value.

Making the right decision at the right time is how you succeed.

I am not saying to do the Sage trade, but you have to seriously consider it to fill a need at another position with an immediate impact player.

Having both Sage and Schaub together doesn't make us the Texans a playoff team considering the current roster and draft picks available because they play in the AFC South.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #122
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Age: 44
Posts: 3,021
Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sage for Vikes 3rd rumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
As far as the Texans not making the playoffs next year, I totally disagree. The Giants went 8-8 and then won the superbowl, why shouldnt we expect playoffs. We should always expect playoffs. And the Steelers went on a tear a couple of years back in the AFC and won the SB.
I disagree with comparing the Texans roster/situation with the Giants and Steelers that won recent Super Bowls.

I hope I am wrong, but I just don't see it.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #123
Polo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Sage for Vikes 3rd rumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post
I am not saying to do the Sage trade, but you have to seriously consider it to fill a need at another position with an immediate impact player.
How do you know we aren't trading away a good back-up QB for a third rd. bust, or a Bennie Jopru who can't stay healthy ?

We pretty much know what we have in Sage...

Why assume that this hypothetical 3rd rounder is "an immediate impact player" ?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #124
J-Russ
Hall of Fame
 
J-Russ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,655
Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sage for Vikes 3rd rumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Texan View Post
Absolutely NOT

Sage is a Texan and a Great Back up who should be starting. We should have left Schaub with the dirty birds but now we have two great QB's. Mrs. Schaub gets hit in the pinky and we need Sage more than any pick so NO WAY.

I sure am glad all you Boneheads who say do the deal are just that, Boneheads
You think Sage, and Kubiak doesn't know that?

He going to leave us cause he wants a starting job. Because hes capable of starting, he knows it, we know it, and he going to leave us when he becomes a FA.

Boneheads? A boneheaded move is not getting anything from him before it happens. Guess what Sage isn't going to start if Schaub is healthy, NEVER. Kubiak hand-picked Schaub, and that's his QB.

Even though Sage isn't going to say anything about it, you know he wants to start. This is the NFL, who in the league doesn't want to start? Look at it from his POV.

Btw, you sound like a Schaub hater, and a ROF (Rosenfels only fan(sorry been on clutchfans alot lately)).
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #125
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Age: 44
Posts: 3,021
Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sage for Vikes 3rd rumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
How do you know we aren't trading away a good back-up QB for a third rd. bust, or a Bennie Jopru who can't stay healthy ?

We pretty much know what we have in Sage...

Why assume that this hypothetical 3rd rounder is "an immediate impact player" ?
The reason you have a scouting department is to find those impact players in the later rounds at great value.

Any player can hurt at any time in the NFL, unless it is Brett Favre...
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #126
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame
 
Silver Oak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: The Woodlands
Section: way up the ramp
Age: 51
Posts: 3,620
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sage for Vikes 3rd rumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Texan View Post
Absolutely NOT

Mrs. Schaub gets hit in the pinky and we need Sage more than any pick so NO WAY.
That's pretty harsh don't you think?

Schaub took two hits last season that any qb in the league would have been injured from. To imply that he is injury prone is unfair.

I know one thing for sure...if I had taken the hit under the helmet in SD like he did, I would still be in a coma or perhaps just recalling my name and address.
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #127
Polo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Sage for Vikes 3rd rumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post
The reason you have a scouting department is to find those impact players in the later rounds at great value.

Any player can hurt at any time in the NFL, unless it is Brett Favre...
That didn't really answer my question.

Seems like a lot of people are subsribing to the "the grass is always greener on the other side" logic.

Nothing wrong with that, cuz sometimes....it is actally greener...

Still not guaranteed tho'...

But besides that:

Gary Kubiak and Rick Smith don't have the luxury to wait for next year. Of course they need to keep their expectations tempered, but at the same time each and every year their goal needs to--and should be-- to win as many games as possible.

I see your Sage leaving after next year scenario and raise you this one:

Lets suppose Schaub gets hurt, we have no capable back-up and as a result we go something stupid like 5-11 or even worse, the rest of the team is playing on a play-off level and we come up short of the post seson because of our back up QB.

Nobody's happy about that, Not me, not Bob McNair, nor any other fan of the Houston Texans. Not even a hypothetical third rd. starter would be able to make that nasty taste go away.

But enough of the rambling...My point is that even with tempered expectations you need to give your team it's best chance to win as many games as possible year in and year out. I'm thinking Sage gives us a better chance to do that than a possible 3rd rd. starter...key word being possible...

I could very easily see a scenario where Schaub gets hurt and Sage is still able to have us in the play-off hunt vs. not having Sage, Schaub getting hurt and the losses start to pile up only further making it harder to shake the stigma of being a loser exspansion team.

I'm comfortable with the decison to make our team as good as it can be next year and not make decisons based on what may or may not happen two seasons from now. We may not be "superbowl contenders" in reality, but don't underestimate the effect WINNING has on a teams psyche.

That's all.

Last edited by Polo; 02-28-2008 at 09:18 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-28-2008   #128
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame
 
Texans Horror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Age: 40
Posts: 2,303
Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer
Default Re: Sage for Vikes 3rd rumor

I sleep better at night knowing that Sage and Ron will be there to take the hits late in the season once Matt and Ahman get injured.

At the same time, those tackles the Texans took makes me think there could be a lot gained from that extra third round/second round pick...

Guess I'll have to sleep on it.
__________________
"It is what it is."
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #129
Insideop
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: In the "Control Room"
Age: 59
Posts: 1,718
Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sage for Vikes 3rd rumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
Houston Titans???? AHHHH!!
I quess we're just going to have to win a few Superbowls before these idiots can get our team's name correct and we get some respect!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #130
b0ng
Ooops
 
b0ng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 33
Posts: 7,658
Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sage for Vikes 3rd rumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post
Yeah, and his trade value is higher because it's less risk for a team that acquires him because they have two years to evaluate his progress at a cheap price.

Besides, Schaub could go down again, Sage bombs and then there is no value.

Making the right decision at the right time is how you succeed.

I am not saying to do the Sage trade, but you have to seriously consider it to fill a need at another position with an immediate impact player.

Having both Sage and Schaub together doesn't make us the Texans a playoff team considering the current roster and draft picks available because they play in the AFC South.
The guy could set the league on fire for two games and warrant a team giving us a 1st rounder next year, so then what?

I don't get how people on this forum know that because Sage and Schaub are on the roster we aren't going to the playoffs. Where do you guys come up with this stuff?

Also 3rd rounders are not drafted to be immediate "impact" players. If they become one that's great, but if you're in the 3rd round looking for that "guy" that will take you over the top, then you are Matt Millen.
__________________
\_(ツ)_/
http://www.thedrawplay.com/?p=88
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #131
dtran04
Hall of Fame
 
dtran04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Age: 28
Posts: 1,583
Rep Power: 2409 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sage for Vikes 3rd rumor

Would I trade Sage for last year's 3rd round pick Jacoby? Nope.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #132
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Age: 44
Posts: 3,021
Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sage for Vikes 3rd rumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
That didn't really answer my question.
It really did answer your question.

Look at the teams that win and get deep in the playoffs.

They draft well, and they draft impact starters in the later rounds.

Giants are a perfect example of that.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #133
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame
 
Carr Bombed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wherever the US govt. sends me
Posts: 13,726
Rep Power: 81208 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sage for Vikes 3rd rumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran04 View Post
Would I trade Sage for last year's 3rd round pick Jacoby? Nope.
How about the year before's third round pick. Eric Winston? or that year's 4th round pick Owen Daniels? or even last year's 4th round pick Fred Bennett? Yep.

I think our FO has shown they can find gems in the mid rounds.
Carr Bombed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #134
Polo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Sage for Vikes 3rd rumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post
It really did answer your question.

Look at the teams that win and get deep in the playoffs.

They draft well, and they draft impact starters in the later rounds.

Giants are a perfect example of that.
Why assume that this hypothetical 3rd rounder is "an immediate impact player" ?

That was my question.

I still haven't gotten a good reason besides it's the scouting departments job. Good picks in later rds. make teams good.

mmmmmk.....

Does that really answer the question ?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #135
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Age: 44
Posts: 3,021
Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sage for Vikes 3rd rumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
The guy could set the league on fire for two games and warrant a team giving us a 1st rounder next year, so then what?

I don't get how people on this forum know that because Sage and Schaub are on the roster we aren't going to the playoffs. Where do you guys come up with this stuff?

Also 3rd rounders are not drafted to be immediate "impact" players. If they become one that's great, but if you're in the 3rd round looking for that "guy" that will take you over the top, then you are Matt Millen.
I hear ya, but knowing when to get and get out is what makes a successful person.

It's the old business concept of buy low, sell high.

Look, at the teams that win consistently and the Super Bowl winners. They don't carry 2 starting QBs on their roster.

It's nice thing to have and you work to get it. But, it isn't going to last forever. Enjoy it while you have it and move on to get value.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #136
J-Russ
Hall of Fame
 
J-Russ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,655
Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sage for Vikes 3rd rumor

Texan's 3rd round picks:

06' - Charles Spencer & Eric Winston

07' - Jacoby Jones

What do they have in common, they were/is stars in the making, for JJ and CS before injury. Solid starters with high ceilings.

Sage? Well, you're looking at his best right now, a BACK-UP. I honestly think if he goes somewhere else, he'll return to his Pre-Texans form, which was a nobody.

I'll take that 3rd for him. In fact I bet Vikings still want this guy. They're just bluffing, to try and get Texans to lower their asking price.

Or maybe I'm delusional, who knows.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #137
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Age: 44
Posts: 3,021
Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sage for Vikes 3rd rumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
Why assume that this hypothetical 3rd rounder is "an immediate impact player" ?

That was my question.

I still haven't gotten a good reason besides it's the scouting departments job. Good picks in later rds. make teams good.

mmmmmk.....

Does that really answer the question ?
I don't know how else to put this.

Look at any Super Bowl winner and comb through their roster. See how they acquired some key players. Most of those key players come from drafting, and drafting in the later rounds.

If an NFL team cannot draft in the later rounds, they are going to have serious problems competing. Example, the Texans...

There is a 53 man roster and 22 starters on offense and defense.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #138
Polo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Sage for Vikes 3rd rumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
Texan's 3rd round picks:

06' - Charles Spencer & Eric Winston

07' - Jacoby Jones

You realize that only one of those players has seen significant action, and I think Winston's value vs. Sage's value is very much debatable.

The other two are pretty much balls of potential. Spencer is barely that. He's a hope and a prayer.

I don't get how that helps your case.

Last edited by Polo; 02-28-2008 at 09:34 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #139
ArlingtonTexan
Moderator
 
ArlingtonTexan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 47
Posts: 6,032
Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sage for Vikes 3rd rumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post
I hear ya, but knowing when to get and get out is what makes a successful person.

It's the old business concept of buy low, sell high.

Look, at the teams that win consistently and the Super Bowl winners. They don't carry 2 starting QBs on their roster.

It's nice thing to have and you work to get it. But, it isn't going to last forever. Enjoy it while you have it and move on to get value.
I would argue that Sage for a 3rd rounder is selling fair versus selling high.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #140
Polo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Sage for Vikes 3rd rumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post
I don't know how else to put this.

Look at any Super Bowl winner and comb through their roster. See how they acquired some key players. Most of those key players come from drafting, and drafting in the later rounds.

If an NFL team cannot draft in the later rounds, they are going to have serious problems competing. Example, the Texans...

There is a 53 man roster and 22 starters on offense and defense.
So you knew the Gianst were legit Super Bowl contenders all along ? Because of the late rd. talent they had drafted?

I'm pretty sure you just knew the Pats would fall short because of stockpiling on WR's via free agency instead of through the draft.

riiiight.

I'm glad you simplified the game of football down to such an exact science. Draft late, trade high. Someone get on the phone with Texan management and coaching staff pronto!!!

I don't get these set rules when it comes to football. I think every situation needs to be evaluated by it self.

Last edited by Polo; 02-28-2008 at 09:44 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger