Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2008   #101
Polo

Default Re: Sage for Vikes 3rd rumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
for example.....
You call it greedy.

I call it smart.

To each his own.
Old 02-28-2008   #102
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
After last season, from all signs to date, Kubiak does not seem to be sure if, with this offer, the Texans may be contemplating trading away their backup or their starter quarterback. Like it or not, there IS a quarterback controvery in Houston.

riiiiiiiight.. except those little tell-tale signs of them saying 'matt is our starting qb' or kubiak saying at the end of last year 'sage can/wants (not sure which) be a starter somewhere in this league'= not a ringing endorsement
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #103
Polo

There is no QB controversy, but if Matt sucks and Sage doesn't, Sage will start.

The same goes for everyone else.
Old 02-28-2008   #104
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

Last season Sage was at least as valuable to us as Schaub was, and we don't have enough evidence on Schaub yet to tell if that trend will continue (durability?). I wouldn't even contemplate trading Rosenfels for less than a 2nd, with the caveat that I'd have to have a good alternative available before I'd trade him period.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #105
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Sage for a 3rd rounder, you definitely have to consider it.

I understand the run on QBs and injuries. But to make a playoff run, you generally need a QB to play the entire year. Your kind of sunk anyway if your starting QB goes down. I understand the insurance policy concept and the run on QBs, but it's too steep of a premium considering where the Texans are in personnel. Certain insurance policies are needed all the time or are just over insurance.

Which brings me to my next point. It is still a stretch for the Texans to make the playoffs next year at this time. They need impact starters at multiple positions. If they trade Rosenfels for a 3rd round pick and they have a couple players they have scouted that could start immediately and make an impact, you really have to consider this deal if it's out there.

Keeping 2 QBs and not have a 2nd round pick for two years is tough to swallow and make the playoffs in 2008 give the state of affairs of the Texans. Which is the reason why I was very skeptical of Schaub deal from the beginning. Good QB prospect, but the timing just wasn't right. Too much risk and bad timing.

What I am saying is, you have to be at the right place, at the right time, to make big things happen.

Texans need impact players, having one of those guys riding the pine because they both can't start at the same time, doesn't seem prudent if you can get value from one of them in a starting player that plays immediately with impact.

You have to consider the trade...
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #106
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30856 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

So after next year, when we don't make the playoffs again, and Sage leaves via Free Agency, I think that we will all miss what could have been another starter somewhere else on the team.

Last edited by Errant Hothy; 02-28-2008 at 08:44 PM.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #107
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
So after next year, when we don't make the playoffs again, and Sage leaves via Free Agency, I think that we will all miss what could have been another starter somewhere else on the team.
thats the spirit

wake me up in 12 months
Sponsored links
Old 02-28-2008   #108
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30856 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
thats the spirit

wake me up in 12 months
Just being realilistic.

We are in the toughest division in the NFL, we went 1-5 in our division last year, and the teams are the top of the AFC South (Indy and Jax) are not likely to fall off that much.

Even if we do make the playoffs next year, Sage is still likely to leave, and we will still be missing what could have been a possible starter at another position.

Last edited by Errant Hothy; 02-28-2008 at 08:56 PM.
Old 02-28-2008   #109
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

As per rotoworld, trade talks have fallen through. The Vikings will not budge from their third round offer.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Hea...=NFL&hl=113279

I guess I'm happy.
Old 02-28-2008   #110
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Just being realilistic.

We are in the toughest division in the NFL, we went 1-7 in our division last year, and the teams are the top of the AFC South (Indy and Jax) are not likely to fall off that much.

Even if we do make the playoffs next year, Sage is still likely to leave, and we will still be missing what could have been a possible starter at another position.
or matt could get injured again and sage carries us into the playoffs.... or we trade sage and the 3rd rder is a bust

if its and buts....
Old 02-28-2008   #111
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Just being realilistic.

We are in the toughest division in the NFL, we went 1-7 in our division last year, and the teams are the top of the AFC South (Indy and Jax) are not likely to fall off that much.

The AFC South isn't the toughest division in 2008 because no games have been played. Also, we went 1-5, and you never know who will fall off that much.

Sage can't leave until after the 2009 season, so you probably don't have to worry about it anyway broheezy.
Old 02-28-2008   #112
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
or matt could get injured again and sage carries us into the playoffs.... or we trade sage and the 3rd rder is a bust

if its and buts....
Matt got injured this year and did Sage carry us anwhere?

Guys, this is just an opinion debate. I would value the 10th pick in the 3rd round more then a back-up QB. Espically if I was a fan of a young team.

Now if we had made the playoffs last year and were not only looking to get back but challenge for a title, Sage would certainly be worth more then the draft pick. But that is not the case.
Old 02-28-2008   #113
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Execellent point, players are gonna move around, you can't keep them forever if some one wants them.

Besides, look at the teams that are compete for the playoffs every year. They don't have a quality back ups to rely upon. This whole concept seems to be a false sense of security because it really doesn't help to make the playoffs when you look at the odds.

It's nice to have 2 starter QBs, but just enjoy it while it lasts and be prepared to move on if you can get good value. Isn't that how we ended up with Schuab in the first place?
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #114
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
As per rotoworld, trade talks have fallen through. The Vikings will not budge from their third round offer.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Hea...=NFL&hl=113279

I guess I'm happy.
Houston Titans???? AHHHH!!
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #115
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Absolutely NOT

Sage is a Texan and a Great Back up who should be starting. We should have left Schaub with the dirty birds but now we have two great QB's. Mrs. Schaub gets hit in the pinky and we need Sage more than any pick so NO WAY.

I sure am glad all you Boneheads who say do the deal are just that, Boneheads
Old 02-28-2008   #116
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post
Sage for a 3rd rounder, you definitely have to consider it.

I understand the run on QBs and injuries. But to make a playoff run, you generally need a QB to play the entire year. Your kind of sunk anyway if your starting QB goes down. I understand the insurance policy concept and the run on QBs, but it's too steep of a premium considering where the Texans are in personnel. Certain insurance policies are needed all the time or are just over insurance.

Which brings me to my next point. It is still a stretch for the Texans to make the playoffs next year at this time. They need impact starters at multiple positions. If they trade Rosenfels for a 3rd round pick and they have a couple players they have scouted that could start immediately and make an impact, you really have to consider this deal if it's out there.

Keeping 2 QBs and not have a 2nd round pick for two years is tough to swallow and make the playoffs in 2008 give the state of affairs of the Texans. Which is the reason why I was very skeptical of Schaub deal from the beginning. Good QB prospect, but the timing just wasn't right. Too much risk and bad timing.

What I am saying is, you have to be at the right place, at the right time, to make big things happen.

Texans need impact players, having one of those guys riding the pine because they both can't start at the same time, doesn't seem prudent if you can get value from one of them in a starting player that plays immediately with impact.

You have to consider the trade...
I hear you and we do have to consider it and we need more impact players, but Sage proved his worth last year, if we let him go we still have another hole to fill. Like I said robbing Peter to pay Sage.

I would rather keep Sage (for the third round offer) and address existing needs.

As far as the Texans not making the playoffs next year, I totally disagree. The Giants went 8-8 and then won the superbowl, why shouldnt we expect playoffs. We should always expect playoffs. And the Steelers went on a tear a couple of years back in the AFC and won the SB.

I agree about good timing to make big things happen, but I am not ready to say the Schaub deal was any of that. I think he flash some potential, he struggled some his first year starting and got banged up along the way. I think he will have a much better year and get hit a lot less often with an effective running game orchestrated by Gibb's ZBS.
Old 02-28-2008   #117
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Texan View Post
Absolutely NOT

Sage is a Texan and a Great Back up who should be starting. We should have left Schaub with the dirty birds but now we have two great QB's. Mrs. Schaub gets hit in the pinky and we need Sage more than any pick so NO WAY.

I sure am glad all you Boneheads who say do the deal are just that, Boneheads
I'm sure that all you guys who say you're 45 sure act like it...oh...wait...nevermid.
Old 02-28-2008   #118
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post
It's nice to have 2 starter QBs, but just enjoy it while it lasts and be prepared to move on if you can get good value. Isn't that how we ended up with Schuab in the first place?
It is, but Sage still has 2, count 'em 2, seasons left on his contract buddies. So he could still stay here, start a few more times at the end of the season, get some more value (Cause he seriously shot himself in the foot that last game vs Jacksonville, he was pretty bad), and then we could get picks for him.

The point is, he's not leaving after next season as a UFA, because he's still under contract at that point.
Old 02-28-2008   #119
Polo

Gary Kubiak and Rick Smith don't have the luxury to wait for next year. Of course they need to keep their expectations tempered, but at the same time each and every year their goal needs to--and should be-- to win as many games as possible.

I see your Sage leaving after next year scenario and raise you this one:

Lets suppose Schaub gets hurt, we have no capable back-up and as a result we go something stupid like 5-11 or even worse, the rest of the team is playing on a play-off level and we come up short of the post seson because of our back up QB.

Nobody's happy about that, Not me, not Bob McNair, nor any other fan of the Houston Texans. Not even a hypothetical third rd. starter would be able to make that nasty taste go away.

But enough of the rambling...My point is that even with tempered expectations you need to give your team it's best chance to win as many games as possible year in and year out.

I could very easily see a scenario where Schaub gets hurt and Sage is still able to have us in the play-off hunt vs. not having Sage, Schaub getting hurt and the losses start to pile up only further making it harder to shake the stigma of being a loser exspansion team.

I'm comfortable with the decison to make our team as good as it can be next year and not make decisons based on what may or may not happen two seasons from now. We may not be "superbowl contenders" in reality, but don't underestimate the effect WINNING has on a teams psyche.

That's all.

Last edited by Polo; 02-28-2008 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-28-2008   #120
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 55500 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
It is, but Sage still has 2, count 'em 2, seasons left on his contract buddies. So he could still stay here, start a few more times at the end of the season, get some more value (Cause he seriously shot himself in the foot that last game vs Jacksonville, he was pretty bad), and then we could get picks for him.

The point is, he's not leaving after next season as a UFA, because he's still under contract at that point.

Also, Sage's contract is up the same year that we have a decision on whether or not to extend Schaub for 3 years. It makes sense to hold on to him until that time... Also, if he leaves us via free agency we will likely get some decent compensation via compensatory draft picks.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read