Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2008   #361
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sage for Vikes 3rd rumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
To be honest we are playing with 2 career backup QB's. Shaub has more talent than Sage but injuries are an issue for Matt so to make it easy I think we should draft another QB maybe in the 4th or 5th if we trade Sage for maybe a 2nd or 3rd rd. pick.
Good post. I agree with it. We have two backups trying to solidify a starting position. Sage has just been at it longer.

Two second rounders is now looking to be a pretty steep price we paid for Schaub. I wish we could have packaged a player/cash/etc. and ONE second round pick when we made that deal.
Old 03-02-2008   #362
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 8295 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
GP have you convienently forgotten his stints in D.C. and Miami? Or the greater # of INTS in more playing time?

No one here is busting your chops on your opinion about Sage. But at the same time i hear the Chris Chandler comparisons people should also be willing to say Cody Carlson.

Funny I don't see two back up Qbs. I see a starter and a backup. I don't see a Rich Gannon, Matt Hasselbeck, or heck even a Derek Anderson in Sage Rosenfels.
I have to come to GP's defense here. I agree that we have 2 BACKUP QB's and everyone who insists that Schaub is the starter because ..... why? ..... some anaylst somewhere says he has potential? ........

I also don't see Rich Gannon, Matt Hasselbeck or Derek Anderson, or even Tavarius Jackson in Matt Schaub.

The point GP and I are making is that there should be open and fair competition for the QB spot because neither has stepped up and earned it. Schaub was annointed the starter and looked good at times and not so good at times. Sage came in and performed well in Schaub's absence but, also had some rough times.

NEITHER HAS EARNED THE RIGHT TO BE ORDAINED THE STARTER FOR THIS TEAM OR ANY OTHER TEAM IN THE LEAGUE AND THEREFORE THEY SHOULD HAVE TO COMPETE FOR THE POSITION.

That's all .... it's simple.
:music:
maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008   #363
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 8295 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=Hoth-Boy;855605]Please stop acting like there is no difference between a career, journeyman back-up and a young back-up who has potential to be a starter.

QUOTE]

They are BOTH career backups and there's not THAT much difference in their age .... as far as QB's go.
Old 03-02-2008   #364
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub earned the job when he worked his ass off in the offseason. That's the thing you look for in a QB. Carr never lifted a finger until he had to in mini-camp.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008   #365
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogmrb View Post

I also don't see Rich Gannon, Matt Hasselbeck or Derek Anderson, or even Tavarius Jackson in Matt Schaub.

:
Neither do I, Schaub would be the starter over Jackson, easily.
The whole debate if Schaub is a starter is yours and GP's opinion. Neither side is going to change any minds here. I think we need to agree to disagree and move on.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008   #366
maddogmrb
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
Schaub earned the job when he worked his ass off in the offseason. That's the thing you look for in a QB. Carr never lifted a finger until he had to in mini-camp.

Schaub didn't EARN it, he was ANNOINTED the starter on the day of the trade by Kubes. But yes, you are right, Schaub does have a good work ethic.
Old 03-02-2008   #367
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Tiger View Post
Think about this. Minnesota has NINE picks this year. They are well under the cap. And they have a star-quality, two-headed running game. Yet all they offered was a #3 pick. Minnesota offering one of their TWO rd 3 picks seems more like them tossing us a bone than them making a legit, good-faith offer. They could have done much better. In my mind, they were trying to play us.

And some of you would have gone for it.
That, to me, is the saddest part of this thread.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-02-2008   #368
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Schaub didn't EARN it, he was ANNOINTED the starter on the day of the trade by Kubes. But yes, you are right, Schaub does have a good work ethic.
Because they run the team, know QBs and know Sage is a career backup. If you trust the staff and Kubes, a guy who worked with top QBs all his life..and he says Schaub is the guy...then Schaub is the guy right now.
Old 03-02-2008   #369
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 119055 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I have to come to GP's defense here. I agree that we have 2 BACKUP QB's and everyone who insists that Schaub is the starter because ..... why? ..... some anaylst somewhere says he has potential? ........
Sounds more credible to me than some guy on a message board!
ChampionTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008   #370
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'd say credibility left the building with this sentence.

Rich Gannon LOL. Schaub completed 66.4 % his first year as a starter (and not by playing Carr short plays only)--something Gannon didn't do until his 14th season. He did it at 7.8 ypa--something Gannon didn't do until his, ooops, never in his 16 seasons. Straight out of the box he had a QB rating of 87.2, something Gannon did not achieve until his 8th season and did not repeat until his 12th.

Last edited by infantrycak; 03-02-2008 at 05:11 PM.
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008   #371
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Our QBs are almost the same player . Tall guys with average arms , above average smarts , and not much in the running department .

The thing that seperates them is a contract and two 2nd rd. picks ... Schaub is also a couple of years younger .

I think in a perfect season ( no injuries ) last year Schaub could have led us to 10-6 . I think you no what you get in Sage ( better than average QB ) while the jury is still out on Schaub .

Round Dan

Last edited by Honoring Earl 34; 03-02-2008 at 01:37 PM.
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008   #372
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I'd say credibility left the building with this sentence.
Was'nt this guy a diehard Carr supporter ? If that's true then I'm not reading anymore .

Round Dan
Old 03-02-2008   #373
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The point GP and I are making is that there should be open and fair competition for the QB spot because neither has stepped up and earned it. Schaub was annointed the starter and looked good at times and not so good at times. Sage came in and performed well in Schaub's absence but, also had some rough times.

NEITHER HAS EARNED THE RIGHT TO BE ORDAINED THE STARTER FOR THIS TEAM OR ANY OTHER TEAM IN THE LEAGUE AND THEREFORE THEY SHOULD HAVE TO COMPETE FOR THE POSITION.

That's all .... it's simple.
:music:
Actually it is not because you say it or I say it or that some analyst says itt, hell it is not even because some stupid news guy says it. he is the starter because the freakin head coach of the team says it. what a novel concept in listening to the head coach of the freakin team, some might call it thinking outside the box but it seems to work for me.

Maybe you need to tell Kubiak that neither has earned the right to start because the last time I checked he is paid to make this decision and neither you or GP or David Carr can do a damn thing about it.
Old 03-02-2008   #374
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually it is not because you say it or I say it or that some analyst says itt, hell it is not even because some stupid news guy says it. he is the starter because the freakin head coach of the team says it. what a novel concept in listening to the head coach of the freakin team, some might call it thinking outside the box but it seems to work for me.

Maybe you need to tell Kubiak that neither has earned the right to start because the last time I checked he is paid to make this decision and neither you or GP or David Carr can do a damn thing about it.
QB is one of a few positions that we really don't have to worry about . If Schaub played like or made Brady or Manning money then we would have Jim Sorgi but for now we have Sage .

Round Dan
Old 03-02-2008   #375
brickman
Rookie

Rep Power: 10 brickman was voted MVPbrickman was voted MVPbrickman was voted MVP

It's really quite simple. Keep them both. The teams that succeed are the teams that have 2 QBs that they can trust in game situations. Plain and simple the Pats & Giants made it to the Super Bowl because both of their QBs stayed healthy. If Eli or Brady were hurt they were done. Both of their backups suck! We are in a good position. They should leave it as is. Getting a 3rd round pick that may or may not pan out is not an option.
brickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008   #376
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 119055 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickman View Post
It's really quite simple. Keep them both. The teams that succeed are the teams that have 2 QBs that they can trust in game situations. Plain and simple the Pats & Giants made it to the Super Bowl because both of their QBs stayed healthy. If Eli or Brady were hurt they were done. Both of their backups suck! We are in a good position. They should leave it as is. Getting a 3rd round pick that may or may not pan out is not an option.
The teams that succeed are the teams that have 2 QB's - except this years SB teams? I'm in 100% agreement with your first sentence. After that, you kind of appear to have driven off a cliff.
ChampionTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008   #377
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 59912 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Can we just this damn thread already?
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008   #378
maddogmrb
All Pro

Man, I hope you folks don't vote the same way you give Kubes and Smith carte blanche on everything they do. These boards are for us to express our opinions and ideas and, if they are sometimes contrary to the coach and GM, that should be okay.

After last season, I'm more optomistic about what the coach and GM have done but, I refuse to give them a carte blanche stamp of approval just because "they say so".

Old 03-02-2008   #379
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Man, I hope you folks don't vote the same way you give Kubes and Smith carte blanche on everything they do. These boards are for us to express our opinions and ideas and, if they are sometimes contrary to the coach and GM, that should be okay.

After last season, I'm more optomistic about what the coach and GM have done but, I refuse to give them a carte blanche stamp of approval just because "they say so".

Last year the team was desperate for a QB who would come in take the bull by the horns and at the same time give the fans some hope .

Sage and a rookie QB would'nt have changed our loser culture as much as Schaub and Sage did . From that standpoint alone Schaub has been a success .

Round Dan
Old 03-02-2008   #380
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Was'nt this guy a diehard Carr supporter ? If that's true then I'm not reading anymore .
GP, Yes and this isn't his first Sage go around.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read