Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-29-2008   #261
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sage for Vikes 3rd rumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Great post.

I am sick and tired of the "The hits Schaub took would take ANY Qb out...it's not fair to say Schaub is fragile..." arguments are weak.

Sage knows how to slide around in the pocket, step up just enough to get the pass off, or just t o let the darn thing go PERIOD. Schaub is killing himself, he's trying too hard too early. He's looking like a guy who is pushing too much and he's paying a HUGE price for it.

We DO have a QB controversy. People need to stop pretending this is a one QB team. That ended when David Carr got cut.
No we don't. I thought people had finally talked some sense into people after the last couple of games. Sage is not a starter and won't be our starter unless there is an ijury...period.
Old 02-29-2008   #262
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 80379 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
No we don't. I thought people had finally talked some sense into people after the last couple of games. Sage is not a starter and won't be our starter unless there is an ijury...period.
"Whichever QB throws the most INT's in one season wins. Readysetgo!"

I mean, if we're going to have a made up QB controversey, might as well take it to the most ludicrous extreme we can.
Old 02-29-2008   #263
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Dec. 27, 2007, 11:50PM
Though the Texans have faith in backup Sage Rosenfels, there's no doubt Matt Schaub is the starter when healthy
Let's recap: No QB quandary

By DALE ROBERTSON
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

Further, Schaub's backup, Sage Rosenfels, created a measure of dissonance by emerging as a player to be taken seriously in debates about who should start next season.

Statistically, Rosenfels has delivered a better year, throwing for 14 touchdown passes to Schaub's nine despite significantly less playing time. Schaub's turnovers — nine interceptions plus three fumbles are a source of concern, too.

"He's got to protect the ball better," coach Gary Kubiak said.

Matt's still the man
Nonetheless, Kubiak and Schaub's teammates seem to be in full agreement that Schaub has done nothing to lose his grip on the team's reins because his body hasn't been overly protected, either. Matt's still the man, they say.

"Everybody knows Matt Schaub is our starting quarterback," guard Chester Pitts said. "We know Sage is the real deal, too. Any doubts anybody might have had about him are gone."

Star receiver Andre Johnson insisted: "There's no (quarterback) controversy here. Everyone gets on real well, including Matt and Sage with each other. We don't have any cliques. Everyone is on the same page."

Kubiak said he is only disappointed in Schaub's season becoming abbreviated, not in what the former Atlanta Falcon showed when he was healthy.

"I expected a lot from Matt," he said. "Just from being with him early in training camp I thought he would play well, which he did. And he continued to play well with injuries around him. We just have to get him out there for 16 weeks."
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/5407815.html

Article I found from awhile back...
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #264
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 219123 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/5407815.html

Article I found from awhile back...
................And what would you expect them to say publicly??
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008   #265
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 80379 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
................And what would you expect them to say publicly??
"Whomever plays the best in preseason and training camp will be our day 1 starter, book it."

Seriously, it's grasping at straws when you're trying to convince people that what they say is not what they mean. If Sage plays his way into the starting role then great, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Schaub hasn't shown enough negatives to lose the starting job, and Sage hasn't shown enough positives to win it.
Old 03-01-2008   #266
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Of course, there are examples that support 2 qbs:

NYGiants in 91- Simms, Hostetler
Pittsburgh- Kordell and ODonnell, Batch and Rothlisburger
KC- Trent Green and what's his name
Phillie- McNabb and Feeley, Detmer
St Louis- Warner and Green

that's off the top of my head. I also think there may still be some long term doubt as to how Schaub will pan out. And, both contracts are up in '09... So, I think they'll be careful about losing Sage under they are sure of Schaub's durability. Sage did after all go 4-1 in 5 starts, not to mention what he almost did in the Tennessee game. He's a great bargain for us.
Montanna and Young.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008   #267
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

It's Schaub's job to lose... end of story.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-01-2008   #268
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Of course, there are examples that support 2 qbs:

NYGiants in 91- Simms, Hostetler
Pittsburgh- Kordell and ODonnell, Batch and Rothlisburger
KC- Trent Green and what's his name
Phillie- McNabb and Feeley, Detmer
St Louis- Warner and Green

that's off the top of my head.
The first one that came to my mind was the Dolphin's perfect season and the second was the year the Ravens won with Dilfer and Banks starting.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008   #269
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 241723 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Big Ben says that experience isnt the only thing that matters.
Oooh don't go there.

"Big Ben" was the beneficiary of a stout running game and a strong defense.
We're working on the strong defense but we're quite a bit away from a "stout running game".
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008   #270
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 241723 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
If we could trade Sage for a 3rd & used it to pick up Lito Sheppard how would the board feel about this?

I think I would breathe hard & make the trade.
Verrrry interesting....
IF we had absolute confirmation from the Iggles that they'd do the Lito Sheppard for our 3rd round pick deal, I might have to think about that for a bit....
Old 03-01-2008   #271
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 93773 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Montanna and Young.
that is PRE-CAP era. The game has changed now. There is always the chance that you have a star lurking on your bench. Bledsoe-brady is the best example but your chances decrease significantly. Its not like Sage is going to become Manning next week. Wow.

I'm always amazed at how people I usually hold in high regard completely throw logic out the window. THERE ARE EXCEPTIONS TO THE RULE. That doesn't mean that you should try to be the exception and think that gives you the best shot at winning.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008   #272
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8871 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected

Do you think anybody would make the deal we made to get Schaub now??
Could we get (2) 2nds and move up in the first round if we traded Schaub now? Would you do this? I would in a heartbeat, but I know there is no one out there that would do this. Why did we??? I think we could have gotten him for a lot less. Would you trade Schaub for (2) 2nds and a better position in the 1st round??
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008   #273
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Verrrry interesting....
IF we had absolute confirmation from the Iggles that they'd do the Lito Sheppard for our 3rd round pick deal, I might have to think about that for a bit....
I would do that in a heartbeat Sage is mediocre and played good in a back up role and that's all he is a back up so get something while his stock is up.
Old 03-01-2008   #274
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafftop View Post
Could we get (2) 2nds and move up in the first round if we traded Schaub now? Would you do this? I would in a heartbeat, but I know there is no one out there that would do this. Why did we??? I think we could have gotten him for a lot less. Would you trade Schaub for (2) 2nds and a better position in the 1st round??
Hmmmm, had we not made that deal in early 07, Schaub would have played out the year in Atlanta since Vick spent the season on suspension. And given that Vick is still a current resident of Hotel Fed, I doubt Schaub would even be available. God <<shudder>> we might be the ones stuck with Joey Harrington.

Why did we? that's a rhetorical question, right?

Would you trade Schaub for (2) 2nds and a better position in the 1st round?? Would I do it today? No. I know what I have in Schaub and I like it. And if we do that deal today, we have no starter (or quality back-up assuming Rosenfels starts) so we'd have to turn around and give up what we just dealt for to get an equal value replacement. IMHO, there are no stud QBs in this draft. Hell, I'd argue there really weren't any in last year's draft (and no, I'm not sold on Brady Quinn). If you make that deal today, you've weakened the team, not made it better.
Old 03-01-2008   #275
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 7744 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
It's Schaub's job to lose... end of story.
IMO, that's the problem. He was ANNOINTED the starter upon the trade without any real history to warrant it. Sage had better stats and better wins last year but, Schaub is still the starter? Shouldn't the coaches, team, and fans want the QB out there who gives them the best chance to win .... whichever one that is?
maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008   #276
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
Yes we do.

Of the two QBs we have right now, we don't have a definitive starter.

We have two backups who are on the verge of being a starter. Schaub was not a starting QB with years of starting experience when we traded for him. People are PRETENDING that we acquired a starter in Matt Schaub. We didn't.

We speculated that he could start. A lot of Falcons fans tried to tell us he wouldn't be mobile enough...and we sorta' laughed them off. I see a guy who played the first game and looked sharp getting away from center--crisp steps, good footwork--and then he just began to slow down and the pass rush was on him wayyyy to quickly over the next few games.

Seeing Sage come in and rescue a season that was lloking to be flushed down the drain...well, it was a relief. The whole offense seemed to pick it up a step; there was a confidence in the huddle and on the field. Granted, Sage knows the offense and the players a lot better.

If anything makes me laugh, it's the "games" we play--and the games coaches play--when the proverbial "We don't have a QB controversy" comments start rolling out. As soon as THOSE comments start rolling out, then you absolutely 100% know you have a competition going on. You don't hear the words "QB controversy" in Indy or New England...it's not even in the dictionary in those two places.

When you have to openly "deny" that there's a QB controversy...there IS one. Period.

Geesh, I'd think that Texans fans wouldn't care WHO started as long as it was the MAN who deserved to have the gig. After 5 years of David Carr, we kinda' need to let go of this pipe dream of being able to pencil in a starter and defend him to no end. You guys do realize that you're doing the same thing with Schaub that a lot of us (including ME) did with David?

Sitting around trashing people like me who just want SOMEONE to win the job and do it consistently, and therefore defending a backup QB like Schaub as if he's been a starter for years, is puzzling.

I am a Texans fan. Not a Sage fan. Not a Schaub fan. I think they shold battle it out. And I think there's a lot of truth to what the Titans' Haynesworth said when he said "I bet Sage would have liked to have seen some of that starting money!" We rolled the dice on Schaub, and I supported it when it happened, but I'm retreating on it...I don't think Schaub is the guy for the long term. I just don't. Out of the two backup QBs we have, I'd say they're pretty even in the race for the starting job right now.

8-8 is a lot better than 2-14. Kubiak and Smith are doing a great job. I'm glad we have Sage-Schaub to argue about...and not who our next HC shold be and why our GM is such a moron. Thank God THOSE days are gone.
Old 03-01-2008   #277
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 7744 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafftop View Post
I think ObsiWan missed the point. I don't believe there is another team in the league that would give us 2-2nd round picks and change places in the 1st round for Schaub now, and I don't think anyone else would've done it when we made the trade ...... we were just desperate. Okay, name me one other #2 QB in the league right now that you would give up what we did for Schaub.
Old 03-01-2008   #278
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogmrb View Post
IMO, that's the problem. He was ANNOINTED the starter upon the trade without any real history to warrant it. Sage had better stats and better wins last year but, Schaub is still the starter? Shouldn't the coaches, team, and fans want the QB out there who gives them the best chance to win .... whichever one that is?
Careful now. You're approaching reason and logic. Back away now unless you want to be painted as a moron and put on ignore lists.

I agree with your post. And found it funny that you were posting this at the same time. You said what I said, but in less words. Nicely done.
Old 03-01-2008   #279
maddogmrb
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Careful now. You're approaching reason and logic. Back away now unless you want to be painted as a moron and put on ignore lists.

I agree with your post. And found it funny that you were posting this at the same time. You said what I said, but in less words. Nicely done.
GP, I was "painted" last year when I opposed the trade and said we gave up too much and when I said (as I am this year) that to be a "complete" team we need to be more aggressive in free agency - which it appears, even with more cap space, we are once again taking a passive approach.
Old 03-01-2008   #280
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 219123 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

GP, I tried give you rep but must spread.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read