Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-29-2008   #241
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 395 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sage for Vikes 3rd rumor

I will trust Smith and Kubiak to do what's best for the team. I would be interested in them trading Sage for the pick out of self-interest to make draft day a little more interesting.
Old 02-29-2008   #242
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
You use the 2nd you get for Sage to draft a solid LT like Collins are Sam Baker and use the 1st round on Mendenhall or Stewart. Both moves help the QB as does the ZBS under Gibbs. A Colt Brennan can be had in third. Sage is probably not going to lead the team deep in playoffs nor would Brennan. If Schaub is injured a veteran QB could be found if Brennan was no thought to be ready. You would be getting a starting LT for a back up QB. I'd go for that.
What he said.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #243
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 14907 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
I'm glad it fell through at that price. The old saying a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush comes to mind. It's not like our starter has proven to have the durability of a David Carr. We don't know yet if we have another Chris Chandelier on our hands, or if last year was a fluke.
Fixed that for ya.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #244
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 82785 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Like I said earlier. If Sage is at the helm, we're not making the playoffs. This is, as it stands, a 9 or 10 win team at best. We need to have another great draft with rookies contributing to really consider ourselves playoff ready. Maybe that year is this year, I don't know. But I like our chances alot better if we are able to patch up our LT or OLB or CB problem in the third round than I do if we are almost hoping Schaub goes down just to prove that Sage WAS worth turning down that offer. Oh and if you want to make the playoffs.. you sure as heck better have a QB who has the durability of a Manning, Brady etc. Teams over the last 10 years that have their QB miss more than 2 games in a season have a terrible track record of making the playoffs. Sure he can get hurt in week 13 or something and miss a game or two but you better not have him missing all kinds of time.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #245
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30855 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Volek is staying in San Diego

Linkage:
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

And the options for the Vikings decreases by one...again.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #246
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 52681 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
Like I said earlier. If Sage is at the helm, we're not making the playoffs. This is, as it stands, a 9 or 10 win team at best. We need to have another great draft with rookies contributing to really consider ourselves playoff ready. Maybe that year is this year, I don't know. But I like our chances alot better if we are able to patch up our LT or OLB or CB problem in the third round than I do if we are almost hoping Schaub goes down just to prove that Sage WAS worth turning down that offer. Oh and if you want to make the playoffs.. you sure as heck better have a QB who has the durability of a Manning, Brady etc. Teams over the last 10 years that have their QB miss more than 2 games in a season have a terrible track record of making the playoffs. Sure he can get hurt in week 13 or something and miss a game or two but you better not have him missing all kinds of time.

Mike
Of course, there are examples that support 2 qbs:

NYGiants in 91- Simms, Hostetler
Pittsburgh- Kordell and ODonnell, Batch and Rothlisburger
KC- Trent Green and what's his name
Phillie- McNabb and Feeley, Detmer
St Louis- Warner and Green

that's off the top of my head. I also think there may still be some long term doubt as to how Schaub will pan out. And, both contracts are up in '09... So, I think they'll be careful about losing Sage under they are sure of Schaub's durability. Sage did after all go 4-1 in 5 starts, not to mention what he almost did in the Tennessee game. He's a great bargain for us.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #247
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

leinart-warner
garcia-mcnabb
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-29-2008   #248
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

my 2 cents... If we've made up our minds, that Schaub is our starter, then it makes sense to let Sage go. It's fair to him, and it would remove any inkling of a QB controversy.

We could use the second, and if another team would give us a high second, then that's definitely worth a QB with Sage's resume.

We know Sage can put together a few wins, if need be. Our team feels comfortable, and confident when he is on the field.

He's worth a second to us, and we shouldn't give him away for anything less.
Old 02-29-2008   #249
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 82785 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Of course, there are examples that support 2 qbs:

NYGiants in 91- Simms, Hostetler
Pittsburgh- Kordell and ODonnell, Batch and Rothlisburger
KC- Trent Green and what's his name
Phillie- McNabb and Feeley, Detmer
St Louis- Warner and Green

that's off the top of my head. I also think there may still be some long term doubt as to how Schaub will pan out. And, both contracts are up in '09... So, I think they'll be careful about losing Sage under they are sure of Schaub's durability. Sage did after all go 4-1 in 5 starts, not to mention what he almost did in the Tennessee game. He's a great bargain for us.
Going back to 91 you can come up with 6 examples. I'll do the numbers again (I did them but they were lost when the board switched over). It was pretty convincing. Also you have to limit to about the last 10 years because free agency has changed the game so much.

Mike

Old 02-29-2008   #250
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I say sit on Sage for now and see what happens between now and draft. For once we are in driver's seat as we don't have to trade.
The Jerome Mathis play ? Roenfelds is gone in two yers .Nothing will stop it.

Look the talks have broken off as they should at this point. We owe the Vikes nothing. The three is very low from our prespective. They need the competent QB2 to miss going top ten in '09. They sweeten the pot with mulipul picks... strike while the iron is hot. Execute the move.
Old 02-29-2008   #251
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 182645 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So.. are you for or against a trade or not?

Unquestionably against the trade.............until proven otherwise, I feel that Sage still has the potential to end up the Texans' best long term starter. He was on a roll the second half of last season.......let him prove that he is only a "flash in the pan".........if he outplays Schaub in preseason, give him the chance to prove that he can sustain the performance we are looking for out of our QB.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #252
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Unquestionably against the trade.............until proven otherwise, I feel that Sage still has the potential to end up the Texans' best long term starter. He was on a roll the second half of last season.......let him prove that he is only a "flash in the pan".........if he outplays Schaub in preseason, give him the chance to prove that he can sustain the performance we are looking for out of our QB.
Then the Schaub trade was pointless.

It's amazing the investment and effort the Texans have made for the QB position with very little return.

If your concerns about Schaub are right, Rosenfels as the backup QB or starter, it really doesn't matter. The Texans are still the doormat of the AFC South...

There are just too many holes on this team and without a quality/durable QB to make a difference.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #253
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30855 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Hasn't his career already proven that he is a "flash in the pan"?

The Chargers had Brees and Rivers, what did they end with when Brees left?

The Titans got a 6th or 7th, I can't recall, for Volek; who was considered one of the better back-ups at the time.

Garcia has been a better back-up and starter then Sage, and yet I don't think any team has every received a draft pick when he left.

To the Texans, I would have to believe a third pick in the Top 100 woud benefit the team more then Sage.
Old 02-29-2008   #254
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Like I said earlier. If Sage is at the helm, we're not making the playoffs.
Quote:
To the Texans, I would have to believe a third pick in the Top 100 woud benefit the team more then Sage.
22 Minutes Ago 09:04 PM
Quote:
If your concerns about Schaub are right, Rosenfels as the backup QB or starter, it really doesn't matter. The Texans are still the doormat of the AFC South...
Sounds like you guys just want to be heard

Sage is too valuable to let go for a 3, even a late 2

He is a back up that can jump right in and start for any team. If a team has a hole then they will pony up a 1st to get at Sage.
Vikes just trying to get over on us and i do believe our front office is too smart to bite on that puny worm like the above quoted people did
Old 02-29-2008   #255
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Texan View Post
Absolutely NOT

Sage is a Texan and a Great Back up who should be starting. We should have left Schaub with the dirty birds but now we have two great QB's. Mrs. Schaub gets hit in the pinky and we need Sage more than any pick so NO WAY.

I sure am glad all you Boneheads who say do the deal are just that, Boneheads
Great post.

I am sick and tired of the "The hits Schaub took would take ANY Qb out...it's not fair to say Schaub is fragile..." arguments are weak.

Sage knows how to slide around in the pocket, step up just enough to get the pass off, or just t o let the darn thing go PERIOD. Schaub is killing himself, he's trying too hard too early. He's looking like a guy who is pushing too much and he's paying a HUGE price for it.

We DO have a QB controversy. People need to stop pretending this is a one QB team. That ended when David Carr got cut.
Old 02-29-2008   #256
was385
Rookie

The Texans are going to have to make a gamble on this one. Sure, trading Sage leaves us in a lot more valuable position without that great backup behind Schaub, but at the same time, with one of them starting and one of them on the bench, this team isn't going forward. If we can snag a second rounder for Sage, you gotta do it. That pick allows the Texans to fill another big hole on this team, whether it be in the backfield, on the line, or in the secondary, and then you just gotta pray that Schaub stays healthy. This team has too many holes to sit on a valuable QB like this and have him riding the bench.
was385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #257
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Texan View Post
Sounds like you guys just want to be heard

Sage is too valuable to let go for a 3, even a late 2

He is a back up that can jump right in and start for any team. If a team has a hole then they will pony up a 1st to get at Sage.
Vikes just trying to get over on us and i do believe our front office is too smart to bite on that puny worm like the above quoted people did
Joe give me a break. I just want to be heard? I'm as passionate about this as anyone, and to be quite honest... I just have an opinion . I don't think Sage is good enough to get us to the playoffs. If GK or RS thought he was the we probably wouldn't have done the Schaub deal in the first place. Schaub and Sage are very similar right now if you ask me. The difference though, is that Schaub hasn't his his ceiling yet... I don't think he's come close to it. Sage has. If we wind up with the same QB play this year that we got last year then we won't make the playoffs. Sage is going to be the same. Hopefully Matt shows some improvement. Now if the front office is doing this to get more value out of Sage, then hell yes, I'm all for it. But if I get my choice between a guy who might see the field next year as a starter, and a guy who might wind up on the bench all season.... well you know what I'm going to say.

Mike

Old 02-29-2008   #258
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

If we could trade Sage for a 3rd & used it to pick up Lito Sheppard how would the board feel about this?

I think I would breathe hard & make the trade.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #259
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

What do D. Anderson, B. Roethlisberger, T. Brady, P. Manning, E. Manning, T. Romo, B. Favre, M. Hasselback, and P. Rivers all have in common?

Well beside leading their teams to better recods then the Texans finished with, none of them missed a game due to injury.

Of the 12 playoff QBs, only 3 miseed playing time to an injury. Todd Collins was the onlu back-up to actual play in the playoffs.

So whats the moral of this post, playoff caliber teams do not rely on their back-up QBs to get them to the playoffs. So if y'all think the Texans are ready to challenge for a playoff spot, then why would the need to rely on Sage to get them their.

And Joe, if anybody on this board loves to read their own words more then you...I have not come across them yet.
Old 02-29-2008   #260
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
What do D. Anderson, B. Roethlisberger, T. Brady, P. Manning, E. Manning, T. Romo, B. Favre, M. Hasselback, and P. Rivers all have in common?

Well beside leading their teams to better recods then the Texans finished with, none of them missed a game due to injury.

Of the 12 playoff QBs, only 3 miseed playing time to an injury. Todd Collins was the onlu back-up to actual play in the playoffs.

So whats the moral of this post, playoff caliber teams do not rely on their back-up QBs to get them to the playoffs. So if y'all think the Texans are ready to challenge for a playoff spot, then why would the need to rely on Sage to get them their.

And Joe, if anybody on this board loves to read their own words more then you...I have not come across them yet.

I did a thing with the numbers for the last 10 years (prior to this season) and it was astonishing the number of QB's that missed fewer than 2 games to make the playoffs vs those that started 14 or fewer. I'll look and see if I can find it... or I'll do it again.

Mike

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read