Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-29-2008   #201
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sage for Vikes 3rd rumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
In my book this is the first season where you can honestly say Boom or Bust. There is no slap on the butt, "good job for 8-8" again.
I agree with your assertion, but not your analysis. This season is about contending, and that trumps building for the future. Acquiring an extra 3rd round pick who may or may not help this season is about the future. In a season where 1 game can be the difference between a playoff berth or staying home, a veteran backup QB like Sage can make more of an impact.
Old 02-29-2008   #202
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I agree with your assertion, but not your analysis. This season is about contending, and that trumps building for the future. Acquiring an extra 3rd round pick who may or may not help this season is about the future. In a season where 1 game can be the difference between a playoff berth or staying home, a veteran backup QB like Sage can make more of an impact.
We were 2+ games out of a playoff spot (Cleveland went 10-6 and failed to get in...I think), and we only won one game in out division...I think the playoffs are still a year or two out. We still have several holes to plug.

I'd be happy if we went 8-8 again, but with a better record against the AFC South. Could this team be one of those 8-8 teams one year, AFC contenders the next...sure; but I think another year of building for the future would be more prudent in establishing a team capable of winning franchise over the long run.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #203
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Understood but you could easily sign a Veteren who is capable, like Volek or Holcomb and get picks.
Old 02-29-2008   #204
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Understood but you could easily sign a Veteren who is capable, like Volek or Holcomb and get picks.
There's a reason Volek & Holcomb are sitting by their phones, while Rick Smith is getting inquiries about Rosenfels. In any other year, I would agree with making the deal. Just not this season.
Old 02-29-2008   #205
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Your point is well taken but that assumes that other vets out there wouldn't be able to do the same job. Sage put up great numbers...he also combined them with bad numbers. He won some but he also showed many problem spots. There is no guarantee that he does the same this season. I think if you can get a 3rd rounder and find a competent backup who can do what Carr did 2 seasons ago...hand off and stay out of the way, it can keep us in games just the same. It isn't like we haven't won those games. It just shouldn't be the norm. If you get a guy who can do more, it is a plus. I think you can have the best of both worlds.
Old 02-29-2008   #206
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
Your point is well taken but that assumes that other vets out there wouldn't be able to do the same job. Sage put up great numbers...he also combined them with bad numbers. He won some but he also showed many problem spots. There is no guarantee that he does the same this season. I think if you can get a 3rd rounder and find a competent backup who can do what Carr did 2 seasons ago...hand off and stay out of the way, it can keep us in games just the same. It isn't like we haven't won those games. It just shouldn't be the norm. If you get a guy who can do more, it is a plus. I think you can have the best of both worlds.

There are a few other factors not being mentioned that make Sage valuable:

1. He knows the system very well and has won in it.
2. He has the total trust/faith of the team
3. He's signed at a bargain rate for two more seasons
4. He has a good relationship with Schaub.
5. His contract is up the same year that the staff must decide whether to extend Schaub.

Anyone we pick off the street will have question marks in each of those areas, expect possibly #3.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #207
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Sage's value (in a trade) might be increasing.

With collins is saying in DC, Chris Redmond is returning to Atlanta, and Cleo Lemon just signed with the Jags; the options for Minnesota are declining.

Sources:
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-29-2008   #208
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I say sit on Sage for now and see what happens between now and draft. For once we are in driver's seat as we don't have to trade.
Old 02-29-2008   #209
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
Sage's value (in a trade) might be increasing.

With collins is saying in DC, Chris Redmond is returning to Atlanta, and Cleo Lemon just signed with the Jags; the options for Minnesota are declining.

Sources:
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl
If it moves to a #2 we better jump

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
There are a few other factors not being mentioned that make Sage valuable:

1. He knows the system very well and has won in it.
2. He has the total trust/faith of the team
3. He's signed at a bargain rate for two more seasons
4. He has a good relationship with Schaub.
5. His contract is up the same year that the staff must decide whether to extend Schaub.

Anyone we pick off the street will have question marks in each of those areas, expect possibly #3.
I'm sure their relationship is fine but I'm also sure that Sage doesn't like sitting on the bench after last season.
Old 02-29-2008   #210
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
I haven't negative reped anyone in a while...you were close.

My Team Roll the dice with the rookies in '09. Dixon @ 5th round...Josh Johnson in the seventh.
Josh Johnson wont be there in the 7th. He wont make it out of the 3rd.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #211
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 282778 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Teams know that we are willing to trade Sage now. And with the FA market being extremely weak for QBs, I think we are sitting pretty for someone to give up more than just a 3rd. I believe Sage's trade value will increase as we get closer to the draft. JMO
Old 02-29-2008   #212
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Teams know that we are willing to trade Sage now. And with the FA market being extremely weak for QBs, I think we are sitting pretty for someone to give up more than just a 3rd. I believe Sage's trade value will increase as we get closer to the draft. JMO
If we got a 2nd and used first three picks on an LT, RB and CB (regardless of the order) Colt Brennan may be there in 4th, would he be a suitable replacement for Sage?
Old 02-29-2008   #213
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Could be a draft day deal even. Looks like we will have a few storylines to follow on a potential move up into the second round. As it stands we only have one "first day" pick this season since rd3 is no longer a "first day" pick. Kinda takes the fun out of the first day of the draft when you only get one pick.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #214
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 104376 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Dude, if you DVR games, it's an offseason savior. I love watching games over and over. Plus you're able to evaluate players.
I just bought a 1TB HDD especially for recording this upcoming season. Oh it's going to be SHAweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #215
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 104376 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

ouldn't we just call up Vinny T.? He is better than than our previous face of the franchise QB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #216
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 49476 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Could be a draft day deal even. Looks like we will have a few storylines to follow on a potential move up into the second round. As it stands we only have one "first day" pick this season since rd3 is no longer a "first day" pick. Kinda takes the fun out of the first day of the draft when you only get one pick.
its tough, really tough the way this organization past & present have traded away or mis-judged 2nd rd. value, with the notable exception of two picks, Pitts & DeMeco. I'm willing to bite the bullet one last time to resolve our QB situation post Carr. it would be a mistake to trade away the protection we currently enjoy for Schaub in the event of historical injury reports. at the same time fair value for Sage is no higher than a low 2nd, which would certainly return a rookie starter

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #217
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
I just bought a 1TB HDD especially for recording this upcoming season. Oh it's going to be SHAweet!
Man, it's great. Every time I begin Jonesing for some football, I fire up a game within seconds.
Old 02-29-2008   #218
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
its tough, really tough the way this organization past & present have traded away or mis-judged 2nd rd. value, with the notable exception of two picks, Pitts & DeMeco.
Look at what you said, and know that Rick Smith has nothing to do with Casserly. He has done better with his two past 2nd round picks. I am sure he will do the right thing with a 2nd this year. However, I believe Sage should stay.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #219
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Josh Johnson wont be there in the 7th. He wont make it out of the 3rd.
bet you a coke he makes beyond the sixth round. All he is right now is a lump of fast clay.
Old 02-29-2008   #220
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 49476 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Look at what you said, and know that Rick Smith has nothing to do with Casserly. He has done better with his two past 2nd round picks. I am sure he will do the right thing with a 2nd this year. However, I believe Sage should stay.
Smith traded away the 2nd rd. pick last year & this year. look at what you said thats a big goose egg 0 only one 2nd rd. pick (DeMeco, which he was given credit for) in three years.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read