Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-24-2008   #161
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: QB Quinn Gray to visit the Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
But that would mean the acquisition of Gray would certainly be no smokescreen if they deal SR after signing Gray.
No, but saying you are keeping three when it goes against philosophy is analogous to this

Old 03-24-2008   #162
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Pure smokescreen on keeping 3 QBs in my opinion as Sage or Gray will be gone before training camp.
I'm wondering now if there is another team in play for Sage? Green Bay still needs a backup. If the Bills trade Losman, they'll need one too. Oakland seems serious about contending next season, and Russell doesn't have a vet backup.

The Vikings still seem to be the most logical team, because their HC Brad Childress might have starting QB Tarvaris Jackson on a short leash. And they have that extra 3rd round pick. As far as the other teams mentioned, the Pack has an extra 2nd round pick acquired from the Browns. That may make them willing to trade their 3rd. Oakland and Buffalo do not have any additional selections in the 1st 3 rounds.

Peyote in Buffalo Bayou? Looks too toxic for me to investigate 1st hand, so I'll just take your word for it.
Old 03-24-2008   #163
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
The Vikings still seem to be the most logical team, because their HC Brad Childress might have starting QB Tarvaris Jackson on a short leash. And they have that extra 3rd round pick.
not buying Tarvars Jackson on a short leash, love his upside will suffer bumps along the road as he develops. don't see Sage playing similar style.

Quote:
As far as the other teams mentioned, the Pack has an extra 2nd round pick acquired from the Browns. That may make them willing to trade their 3rd.
best fit for Sage, so that would be the Packers 2nd not the Browns 2nd right?

nevermind just checked & not much difference #56 vs #60

Quote:
Oakland and Buffalo do not have any additional selections in the 1st 3 rounds.
Gray would be a better fit in Oakland, probably smart however & doesn't like the direction of the franchise. Buffalo too darn cold & far north.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008   #164
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
not buying Tarvars Jackson on a short leash, love his upside will suffer bumps along the road as he develops. don't see Sage playing similar style.
I'm thinking that a QB who threw 9 TDs to 12 INTs with a 70 QB rating might be on a short leash. But that's just me. And the Vikings run a WCO, similar to the one Sage has played in the past 2 seasons.

Even if Childress is sold on Jackson, he still may covet Rosenfels. The Vikings were 1-5 in games Tarvaris missed, or couldn't finish, due to injury. That cost the Vikings a playoff spot.
Old 03-24-2008   #165
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm thinking that a QB who threw 9 TDs to 12 INTs with a 70 QB rating might be on a short leash. But that's just me. And the Vikings run a WCO, similar to the one Sage has played in the past 2 seasons.

Even if Childress is sold on Jackson, he still may covet Rosenfels. The Vikings were 1-5 in games Tarvaris missed, or couldn't finish, due to injury. That cost the Vikings a playoff spot.
this is also why they have addressed the WR position in FA & I have them taking DeSean Jackson in the 1st rd. that should help improve those numbers

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008   #166
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24423 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm wondering now if there is another team in play for Sage? Green Bay still needs a backup. If the Bills trade Losman, they'll need one too. Oakland seems serious about contending next season, and Russell doesn't have a vet backup.

The Vikings still seem to be the most logical team, because their HC Brad Childress might have starting QB Tarvaris Jackson on a short leash. And they have that extra 3rd round pick. As far as the other teams mentioned, the Pack has an extra 2nd round pick acquired from the Browns. That may make them willing to trade their 3rd. Oakland and Buffalo do not have any additional selections in the 1st 3 rounds.

Peyote in Buffalo Bayou? Looks too toxic for me to investigate 1st hand, so I'll just take your word for it.
Atlanta's QB situation is still up in the air. Even if they take one of the top QB's, do they really want to have their entire season depending upon his success, or lack thereof? Bringing in a veteran like Sage to allow them to groom his replacement might be just what the doctor ordered.

For what it's worth, they've got three 2nds & their 3rd (#68) is a lot higher than Minnesota's (#82).

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008   #167
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
finally, some logic.

At the end of 2006 we were stuck having to play Carr in Nov/Dec because Sage got hurt during a special teams play. Anyone recall who Sage's backup was? Anyone?

In 2007 we got pushed into desperation mode when Matt when down and Sage became the #1 and we basically had no real #2 guy who had any experience with our system.

Rick is buying some insurance. If Matt or Sage goes down we'll at least have someone who's been on board since training camp and is familiar with our offense.

Just because we have three on the roster doesn't mean we suit up three QBs every week.

And if Quinn Gray shows promise, then we extend his contract and trade Sage NEXT year.
Then explain Boyd already being on the roster and he was here last year. Why would you need to pick up another 3rd string QB. Maybe Kubiak agrees with Casserly about never having too many QBs.

Or this could mean Boyd can be packaged now?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-24-2008   #168
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm just saying that signing Gray makes it a real possiblity that Smith/Kubiak pull the deal on a Sage trade, an option that most people felt was highly unlikely before they picked up the now former Jaqs QB. Lets face it, Kubiak might have thought he was watching the black John Elway in the game last year aginst the Texans. He was real impressive, and they gave up a ton for another QB who they saw nothing of in person like they did Gray.
Who knows what kind of deal they might be considering, and as somebody said there could be other, may multiple interested parties besides the Vikes ?
There could even be a another player involved, say another teams OLineman or DB ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008   #169
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I think Tavaris is on a short leash. My concern with Jackson is later in the season teams weren't afraid to stack the box for the running game and try to make Jackson throw to win the game. He didn't make the best of decisions on throwing then.Has upside but is still really raw and leaves me to wonder if he's a LOT more raw then Childress originally thought going into TC and Pre-season last year.

I do think they need to bring someone in behind him that has experience and could possibly teach him a bit. Is Sage that guy? Seems that is who the Vikings want. With Gray onboard now I think things have gotten very interesting in this trade rumor.

There have been FA Qb's come and gone yet the Vikings haven't seemed to take much interest. Both sides seem willing to deal now.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008   #170
da Bull
Rookie

Who is Rosenfels' agent and does he have any connection to Drew Rosenhaus (Gray's Agent)? They might both be trying hard to shop Sage, as both will benefit. Especially since the Texans let Carr go without demanding a pick, as he was a good soldier. Sage has also been a good soldier....and played better also.
da Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008   #171
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Something really bothers me about Quinn Gray.

The Jacksonville Jaguars signed Quinn Gray.

The Jacksonville Jaguars are apparently in the draft market for a QB. This is pure assumption on my part but they DID send their QB coach to Delaware's pro day. It kind of tells me that they're looking for a QB. Now I did notice the dates and am not sure what they mean. I don't know when they signed Lemon or anything like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFFL
Jaguars | Shula attended Delaware's Pro Day
Sun, 23 Mar 2008 23:46:22 -0700
Gil Brandt, of NFL.com, reports Jacksonville Jaguars quarterbacks coach Mike Shula attended the University of Delaware's Pro Day March 7.
Quinn Gray has a career day in the final game and is promply shown to the door by the Jaguars.

I don't know... I'm not exactly having warm fuzzy feelings in my stomach about Gray. I'm definitely on the 'sell Sage while his value is high' bandwagon but would have no qualms keeping him either.

It doesn't matter. Quinn Gray is going to get a ton of garbage playing time. See, Schaub is going to play all 16 games and he's going to singlehandedly show the Patriots how perfection is done.
Old 03-24-2008   #172
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 124742 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe Sage himself has expressed his thoughts on wanting a starting position. Everyone's saying what the Texans should/shouldn't do. What if it's Sage pushing the issue upon the Texans? He has stated before he wanted to be a starter, so maybe he thinks now is his best chance.

Who knows? It's just something else to toss around.
Old 03-24-2008   #173
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Maybe Sage himself has expressed his thoughts on wanting a starting position. Everyone's saying what the Texans should/shouldn't do. What if it's Sage pushing the issue upon the Texans? He has stated before he wanted to be a starter, so maybe he thinks now is his best chance.

Who knows? It's just something else to toss around.
I agree. No matter what is said, all of these guys have some sort of ego and want to be "the man." Unless you are a Jason Garrett type who is just uses as a nice backup. All in all I love these moves. I'd like to get a 2nd rounder somewhere...3rd if it is Gray even. I think you are right about Sage though and he might think that this is one last push to parlay last year into starting somewhere.
Old 03-24-2008   #174
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Pure smokescreen on keeping 3 QBs in my opinion as Sage or Gray will be gone before training camp.

Kubiak gets the most out of his 52 and Gibbs and Rhodes are going to want bodies due to the injuires their units have endured over the years and the question marks that remain.

We ain't keeping three QBs, unless Kubiak was wondering out in Buffalo Bayou and had a peyote inspired vision quest of Doug Flutie, Clint Longley and Frank Reich.
Exactly. Couple this with the way Gray played last year when filling in for Garrard. He didn't look like a #3 to me, he looked a lot like Sage, definite solid #2 who could start when your #1 goes down with very little drop off. There is no way we can carry these 3 QB's.

Think about it, Sage is in demand right now, we can trade him for real value. We bring in Gray to replace Sage, they are both solid QB's and are great back-ups. Here's the head scratching part, why didn't Minnesota make a play for Mr. Gray instead of giving up the hypothethical 3rd Rounder.....or there is another suitor for Sage, either way great move by Rick, yet again.
Old 03-24-2008   #175
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24423 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's a wild idea that has no basis or thought process what so ever. If Minnesota wants Sage so badly & we need a LT so badly, why not trade Sage for the troubled Bryant McKinnie? I realize it's not a fair swap, but if we could work out the particulars, would you consider it? Is he salvageable? According to this article, his cap hit wouldn't be that bad for a starting LT & Sage's $1.85 million cap hit would offset 25% of it. I'm not sure how bonus money would be transferred, but that could possibly further reduce the cost. Not likely to even be discussed, but it's food for thought.

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci...nclick_check=1

One of the deterrents for clubs to release high-priced veterans is the salary cap. But if the Vikings cut or trade McKinnie, their salary-cap implications would be minimal. Not only is the club approximately $17.5 million under the cap, McKinnie's current cap number is $7.4 million. Releasing or trading him would cost the club only an additional $1.4 million.

If the Vikings are serious about moving him, they probably would have several suitors. Although he could face a suspension because of this incident — NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has the authority to punish players, even without guilty pleas — McKinnie plays a high-demand position, he's 28, he's extremely durable (87 consecutive starts), and he's relatively cheap (his base salary is less than $5 million through 2011). In fact, there has been speculation that the Vikings have discussed a trade with the Carolina Panthers. Among the players rumored to be discussed: defensive end Julius Peppers and offensive tackle Jordan Gross. The offensive tackle class also is considered fairly strong in the NFL draft.

The Texans Bull Rush
Old 03-24-2008   #176
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by da Bull View Post
Who is Rosenfels' agent and does he have any connection to Drew Rosenhaus (Gray's Agent)?
Don't know Sage's agent. Rosenfels is not listed as a Rosenhaus client.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
Quinn Gray has a career day in the final game and is promply shown to the door by the Jaguars.
I think that Gray moving on may have been a mutual decision. Five seasons is a long time to spend in an organization, and not become a starter. Plus, Cleo Lemon is a similar QB to Jags starter David Garrad. The Jags won't have to put in separate game plans when the backup comes into the game.
Old 03-24-2008   #177
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
Exactly. Couple this with the way Gray played last year when filling in for Garrard. He didn't look like a #3 to me, he looked a lot like Sage, definite solid #2 who could start when your #1 goes down with very little drop off. There is no way we can carry these 3 QB's.

Think about it, Sage is in demand right now, we can trade him for real value. We bring in Gray to replace Sage, they are both solid QB's and are great back-ups. Here's the head scratching part, why didn't Minnesota make a play for Mr. Gray instead of giving up the hypothethical 3rd Rounder.....or there is another suitor for Sage, either way great move by Rick, yet again.
I think someone else pointed out that maybe Gray didn't have a huge interest in playing for a cold weather team. I also think With Favre Retiring Greenbay is in need for a solid backup behind Rodgers. ATL now has 3 second rounders and to my knowledge no one they are really comfortable with starting. A mere one second for someone who might have a shot at soldifying the position while they groom someone long term might be a steal in that position. I think there could now be multiple offers for Sage hence signing Gray. We could very well get a second which we could use.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008   #178
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Hehe, playing the devil's advocate, wouldn't it be a total shocker if it's Schaub that's being shopped?

The Texans Bull Rush
Old 03-24-2008   #179
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

this is no doubt a weird move. everyone has there speculation knob turned to 11. the thing that really makes this a head scratcher is need. of all the teams in the league that needed a quarterback we're near the bottom of the list. of everyone's scenarios, there are two that seem to be realistic.

A. a deal for sage is already lined up and the gray signing is with the understanding that the sage deal happens.

B. it was gray's choice. for whatever reason (call it the weather) it was a personal choice that he wanted to be here in houston.

other than those two scenarios, it's hard to find any logic behind any of it.

either way, i can't wait until the draft is over so the speculation nation can subside.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008   #180
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie View Post
Hehe, playing the devil's advocate, wouldn't it be a total shocker if it's Schaub that's being shopped?
I'll take Atlanta's 2nd rounders and a swap of our firsts if they want.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read