Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-23-2008   #141
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 249951 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: QB Quinn Gray to visit the Texans

Personally, it makes no sense to me. I can't believe no one offered Gray much more than we did. I can't believe he'd want to come here and be a 3.

There's got to be more in the works. I'm with Hoth-boy. I think a shoe is hovering out there and it's going to be interesting when it falls. Maybe more than a single shoe.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008   #142
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 210087 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostock101 View Post
Schaub is the QB of the future. I believe that the FO wants to carry 3 QB's because of the rash of QB injuries. Trading Rosenfels would be a huge mistake.
finally, some logic.

At the end of 2006 we were stuck having to play Carr in Nov/Dec because Sage got hurt during a special teams play. Anyone recall who Sage's backup was? Anyone?

In 2007 we got pushed into desperation mode when Matt when down and Sage became the #1 and we basically had no real #2 guy who had any experience with our system.

Rick is buying some insurance. If Matt or Sage goes down we'll at least have someone who's been on board since training camp and is familiar with our offense.

Just because we have three on the roster doesn't mean we suit up three QBs every week.

And if Quinn Gray shows promise, then we extend his contract and trade Sage NEXT year.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008   #143
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Gray is coming here to compete for the #2 position, improve his skills under Kubiak & show the league he's a team player with talent to start given the opportunity. either way the Texans win & so will Quinn Gray- welcome to Houston

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008   #144
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
finally, some logic.

At the end of 2006 we were stuck having to play Carr in Nov/Dec because Sage got hurt during a special teams play. Anyone recall who Sage's backup was? Anyone?

In 2007 we got pushed into desperation mode when Matt when down and Sage became the #1 and we basically had no real #2 guy who had any experience with our system.

Rick is buying some insurance. If Matt or Sage goes down we'll at least have someone who's been on board since training camp and is familiar with our offense.

Just because we have three on the roster doesn't mean we suit up three QBs every week.

And if Quinn Gray shows promise, then we extend his contract and trade Sage NEXT year.
while I agree with most, I think that IF we were to trade Sage
This offseason will be the best time, his value is at the highest it ever has been. I am not saying make the trade just to make the trade, but if a deal comes through that the Texans want, I could see them trading Sage.

two scenarios
1) Matt stays healthy.. that means Sage does't play, trade value goes down
2)Matt gets hurt again, Sage plays equally to what he did last season, we definitely don't trade Sage and we ponder on the Schaub deal (injury prone)
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008   #145
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 85795 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope this doesn't mean we trade Sage just for the sake of an extra pick(unless its a 1 or 2). If teams want him that bad, make them pay. We have the upper hand in negotiations unless Sage is quietly demanding a trade so he can compete for a starting job.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008   #146
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

It's kind of a double edged sword IMO

We have Sage, who's value has never been higher, and can be gotten for a fairly good draft pick (Vikings 3rd rounder, maybe another team will offer something more). We have plenty of needs that need to be filled on our team and getting an extra draft pick definitely helps out in filling those needs.

On the other hand, Sage is a quality backup. If Schaub had stayed healthy all of last year then it would be easier to trade Sage. But Schaub wasn't healthy and we saw what a quality backup can do for us. That's not to say Quinn Gray could be a good #2 guy, but he's unproven on our team as opposed to Sage.

It's a touch decision and I don't think there's a real right answer. I would hate to trade him, but on the other hand I would like to get a good draft pick for him as well.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008   #147
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
It's kind of a double edged sword IMO

We have Sage, who's value has never been higher, and can be gotten for a fairly good draft pick (Vikings 3rd rounder, maybe another team will offer something more). We have plenty of needs that need to be filled on our team and getting an extra draft pick definitely helps out in filling those needs.

On the other hand, Sage is a quality backup. If Schaub had stayed healthy all of last year then it would be easier to trade Sage. But Schaub wasn't healthy and we saw what a quality backup can do for us. That's not to say Quinn Gray could be a good #2 guy, but he's unproven on our team as opposed to Sage.

It's a touch decision and I don't think there's a real right answer. I would hate to trade him, but on the other hand I would like to get a good draft pick for him as well.
tough decision.. and only time will tell
and if we trade him and draft well.. and Schaub stays healthy ,all will be forgotten, he'd be like charlie banks where (at least for me) I barely remember him on the early team
Sponsored links
Old 03-23-2008   #148
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
...he'd be like charlie banks where (at least for me) I barely remember him on the early team
Who could forget good ol' Charlie Banks?
Old 03-23-2008   #149
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

I suspect that there is some sort of agreement allready in place to move Sage. It was probably contengent on us finding a suitable backup. That is probably why Gray is willing to come for minimum and only a one year deal. He gets his shot to be a #2 and we move Sage for a pick(s) of some sort (could it be for a player, like a rush DE or corner instead of pick(s)?). Heck, they might even be playing this straight up and taking a 3rd QB into the system. Going to be an interesting couple of weeks.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008   #150
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 195032 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I never knew Charlie Banks to forget him..............the only Banks I knew was Tony............You guys are too young for Azlheimer's..........I think...............

Last edited by CloakNNNdagger; 03-23-2008 at 10:16 PM.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008   #151
Wolf
100% Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
wow, I read that and went

see I already forgot about
Tony Banks
Old 03-23-2008   #152
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 127050 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe they trade Schaub and keep Sage/Gray.

I crack myself up.

Sage's days are numbered. He has value right now and Smith will get something for it. He also got a steal on a decent backup.

The old regime is dead.
Old 03-24-2008   #153
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 81907 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

On one hand, I've got to believe that Kubiak recognizes the value of a backup QB that can step in when necessary and keep his team competitive - I mean, after all, that's what Kubes was his entire NFL playing career (oh yeah, and there's that whole 4-1 thing for Sage as a starter). Therefore, there's no way Sage gets traded.

On the other hand, I'm also pretty sure that he's got enough of an ego to believe that he can spin gold out of straw again, and turn Quinn Gray into a top-notch backup QB. Whether he believes his (and Rick Smith's) eye for talent saw something in Sage that others didn't/couldn't, or whether he believes his and Shanny Jr's. coaching/tutoring turned Sage into something others didn't/couldn't (or a combination of both), I would be pretty surprised if he's not absolutely convinced that he can't make history repeat itself. Therefore, Sage is as good as gone.

Perhaps backup QB's are just products of the system Kubiak runs much like you hear in regard to RB's and O-Linemen.
ChampionTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008   #154
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

610am just reported Quinn Gray is going to sign a 1 year, 650K deal this afternoon with the Texans.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008   #155
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Barring unforeseen complications, former Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback Quinn Gray will sign a one-year deal for $645,000 with the Texans today, giving them three veterans at the most important position on the team.

"My agent (Drew Rosenhaus) has a one-year deal in place. We've been talking on the phone, and now I'm going to meet face-to-face with coach (Gary) Kubiak and coach (offensive coordinator Kyle) Shanahan. I'm excited about it."
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/5641676.html
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008   #156
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Pure smokescreen on keeping 3 QBs in my opinion as Sage or Gray will be gone before training camp.

Kubiak gets the most out of his 52 and Gibbs and Rhodes are going to want bodies due to the injuires their units have endured over the years and the question marks that remain.

We ain't keeping three QBs, unless Kubiak was wondering out in Buffalo Bayou and had a peyote inspired vision quest of Doug Flutie, Clint Longley and Frank Reich.
Old 03-24-2008   #157
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Pure smokescreen on keeping 3 QBs in my opinion as Sage or Gray will be gone before training camp.
But that would mean the acquisition of Gray would certainly be no smokescreen if they deal SR after signing Gray.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008   #158
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 246310 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I also don't see them keeping three QBs on the active squad. They had better get something more than a single 3rd round pick for Sage, or I'm not gonna like it. Not that that would make any difference. LOL

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008   #159
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
Why would Gray sign a low $ (by back-up QB standards) contract to come here under the umbrella of being the 3rd stinger when he could have just as likely signed with GB, Oak, or Buff for real back-up money (say a contract similar to Sage's)?

If he is here to be the back-up and we complete the Sage trade to Minn, not only will the Texans have pick-ed up an extra draft pick but they will also have generated some extra cap room (I think). It just seems like a scenario that would be to good to be true.

The easier scenario to believe is that Gray was signed to be the 3rd stringer.
Well...

One thing that I thought was interesting was that the guy has never left Florida...

GB, Oak, and Buff have pretty cold climates...

Some guys just absolutely hate playing in cold weather and would rather not play more than a game or two a year in that kind of weather...maybe Houston's weather had a little something to do with his decision...From the get go it seemed like we were HIS #1 option...

I don't know why thinking Gray came here as a third stringer is the easier scenario to believe because the Texans have shown to be kinda loyal to their players (to a certain degree)...I think that the Texans would like an extra pick, and I think Sage would like a legit chance to start....I also don't see Kubes carrying three QB's...

It makes no sense to go into a season planning for all your QB's to get injured...If that were the case, and we DID have to go with our third string QB, we will probably be in bad shape regardless....

Honestly, I really can't see the logic in carrying three veteran QB's like that...If Matt and whoever the second stringer is gets hurt, was it really worth the extra roster spot when we could have carried an extra WR or TE, or RB, or LB, or DB vs. going out and getting a Craig Nall or someone not much worse than Quinn Gray ?
Old 03-24-2008   #160
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
But that would mean the acquisition of Gray would certainly be no smokescreen if they deal SR after signing Gray.
The smokescren is keeping three QBs

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read