Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-23-2008   #101
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: QB Quinn Gray to visit the Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
"The Texans have two good quarterbacks, and if everything goes like I hope it does, I'll be added to the mix," Gray said. "I think that I can fit in here. I love Houston. I like the organization and where the Texans are headed."

"Hopefully, everything will go well when we meet (Monday at Reliant Stadium)," Gray said.

love the fact, "this just in" The Texans Have Stability @ QB- Richard Justice

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/5640711.html
I was just thinking why would gray want to come here. He would become the third string QB. Third string. Either he thinks he can beat out Sage and or Schaub or he knows somthing we dont. Makes me wonder if we already have a trade in place to move Sage and were just waiting for Gray to sign the dotted line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008   #102
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 7197 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected

This sets up the trade for Sage and gives Quinn an opportunity to prove himself in another system.

I like Sage, but for anything more than a 3rd it will be hard to not trade him. Hey Bryant McKinney could be our new Lt...doubt that happens, but stranger things have. A 3rd and 6th for Sage or a 2nd for Sage would be a nice addition to our draft plans.

Texan, back in Texas!
Texan in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008   #103
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
At the price now in the article, at least finanically it does not have to happen.
With such a cap friendly contract he really could be coming here to be the 3rd string QB.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008   #104
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
At the price now in the article, at least finanically it does not have to happen.
Basically a one-year minimum. Interesting. That fits the 'we want to keep three QBs' sales job at least.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008   #105
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, that low salary number makes me think maybe he actually could be the 3rd-stringer. That pretty much shocks me. I never thought for a second he would want to be a 3rd. I still think there's a pretty good chance that a trade goes down... but it's certainly not 'carved in stone' like I stupidly said on my blog.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008   #106
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
I think Boyd has already filled that role (the one that might be filled by a late round draft pick). I could easily see them signing another UDFA to be a camp arm.
I'm not as sold as others are on Boyd becoming an NFL backup. He looks like a CFLer, at best, to me.

There's not a lot of quality QBs at the top of this draft, but there are some interesting projects at the back. Marshall's Bernard Morris flashed a NFL arm at the allstar games and the combine. He might be worth the investment of a roster spot.
Old 03-23-2008   #107
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I'm not as sold as others are on Boyd becoming an NFL backup. He looks like a CFLer, at best, to me.

There's not a lot of quality QBs at the top of this draft, but there are some interesting projects at the back. Marshall's Bernard Morris flashed a NFL arm at the allstar games and the combine. He might be worth the investment of a roster spot.
agreed.

Quinn signs here one he feels "in the mix" because even with Schaub & Sage the QB position is far from settled given the nature of injurys & two he likes what the Texans are doing & feels from a buisness move one year out another team (if its not the Texans) will give him the big contract he ultimately seeks based on his ability to flourish in this system.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-23-2008   #108
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Gray's other suitors:

GB: Aaron Rodgers-Starter(1st year, also ???)
??????-Back-Up

Oak: JaMarcus Russel-Starter(1st year, also ???)
?????-Back-Up

Buf: Trent Edwards-Starter(decent, but could upgrade)
?????-Back-up(JP on the trading block)

Hou: Matt Schaub-Starter(legit, aside from injuries)
Sage Rosenfels-Back-Up(Solid back-up QB, with starting potential)

Two problems,

Quinn was the back-up for the jaguars last year, he could at the very least be the back-up for oak, gb, buf; maybe even a starter with there starter as a question mark.

So why would he DOWNGRADE to come play for us, especially at the prime of his career(he's about 28).

I'm pretty sure he's coming here to be our back-up, so that means:

Bye-bye Sage.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008   #109
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
Gray's other suitors:

GB: Aaron Rodgers-Starter(1st year, also ???)
??????-Back-Up

Oak: JaMarcus Russel-Starter(1st year, also ???)
?????-Back-Up

Buf: Trent Edwards-Starter(decent, but could upgrade)
?????-Back-up(JP on the trading block)

Hou: Matt Schaub-Starter(legit, aside from injuries)
Sage Rosenfels-Back-Up(Solid back-up QB, with starting potential)

Two problems,

Quinn was the back-up for the jaguars last year, he could at the very least be the back-up for oak, gb, buf; maybe even a starter with there starter as a question mark.

So why would he DOWNGRADE to come play for us, especially at the prime of his career(he's about 28).

I'm pretty sure he's coming here to be our back-up, so that means:

Bye-bye Sage.
Maybe, but I tend to think he probably could have gotten more money from any of those other teams you just listed. SO why not just sign with them now, why this charade of singing here to be the 3rd stringer, unless he really signed here to be the 3rd stringer.
Old 03-23-2008   #110
Polo

Quote:
Maybe, but I tend to think he probably could have gotten more money from any of those other teams you just listed. SO why not just sign with them now, why this charade of singing here to be the 3rd stringer, unless he really signed here to be the 3rd stringer.
?????

I don't get how that makes sense...
Old 03-23-2008   #111
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post

Ever since Carr busted I've concluded that I have no eye for judging potential QB talent. Established talent, yeah I can see why Manning and Brady are the best in the NFL, judgin between rookies I don't have a clue.

But I do trust Kubiak when it comes to QBs, so we'll see how it plays out in camp and the pre-season.
Old 03-23-2008   #112
mattschaub#8
hi im matt jk

let me make this clear

1st if we trade sage we will need beter off line man to protect matt and.....
quinn....

2nd i would trade for 2nd rounder...

3rd ... quinn may be good he did not have much playing time i think its an another gamble like we did for matt

so i think we arent tradeing sage because of # 3 he had 1 good game aginst our def that i rember....

tell me what yall think
mattschaub#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008   #113
Polo

I think Gray is going to be the second stringer.

The low salary definitely catches my attention, but I just can't see him signing here knowing we like to carry two QB's and knowing that if Sage stays he will be hard pressed to see playing time, let a lone making the team.
Old 03-23-2008   #114
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
?????

Why would Gray sign a low $ (by back-up QB standards) contract to come here under the umbrella of being the 3rd stinger when he could have just as likely signed with GB, Oak, or Buff for real back-up money (say a contract similar to Sage's)?

If he is here to be the back-up and we complete the Sage trade to Minn, not only will the Texans have pick-ed up an extra draft pick but they will also have generated some extra cap room (I think). It just seems like a scenario that would be to good to be true.

The easier scenario to believe is that Gray was signed to be the 3rd stringer.
Old 03-23-2008   #115
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Overall , maybe he likes warm weather climates? and with sage and Matt he feels he would have a better shot (in case one gets injured)

http://jaguars.com/Team/Player.aspx?id=1846

just throwing that out .

geeze I forgot how bad he lit us up

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=271230034

25 of 39 for 302 yards 4 td's
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008   #116
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

mcClain weighs in

http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2008/03/g...imum_is_a.html

Quote:
Getting Gray for minimum is a steal for Texans

I still can't believe the Texans are getting former Jacksonville quarterback Quinn Gray for a one-year deal worth $635,000, including $40,000 to sign.

The last time we saw Gray he was tearing up the Texans' defense at Reliant Stadium. It was in the last game of the regular season -- the Texans' 48-22 victory over the Jaguars, or at least part of Jacksonville's team. Coach Jack Del Rio rested many of his starters in preparation for the playoffs.

Gray replaced quarterback David Garrard and put up the best numbers of his career. Gray was 25-of-39 (64.1 percent) for 302 yards and four touchowns and no interceptions.

I don't know about you, but watching Gray play so impressively in that game made me think he'd leave Jacksonville for at least a backup job. Now he's going to sign for the $595,000 minimum and the $40 grand signing bonus.
Quote:
Here's what the Texans are getting. After spending almost all of his first four seasons on the Jaguars' bench, Gray started four games last season and was 2-2. He was 2-1 with his lineup intact, including victories over playoff teams Tampa Bay and Tennessee and a loss to New Orleans.

In his seven games, including four starts, Gray was 80-of-144 (55.6) for 986 yards, 10 touchdowns and five interceptions. His rating was 85.6. In his four starts, he had eight touchdown passes and three interceptions.

What the Texans have at quarterback is three veterans who are coming off the best seasons of their career.

Now, let me ask you this: Do you think they'll go into the season with Schaub, Rosenfels and Gray on the roster?
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008   #117
mattschaub#8
hi im matt jk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
thos this mene no more sage =[
mattschaub#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008   #118
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Why would Gray sign a low $ (by back-up QB standards) contract to come here under the umbrella of being the 3rd stinger when he could have just as likely signed with GB, Oak, or Buff for real back-up money (say a contract similar to Sage's)?

If he is here to be the back-up and we complete the Sage trade to Minn, not only will the Texans have pick-ed up an extra draft pick but they will also have generated some extra cap room (I think). It just seems like a scenario that would be to good to be true.

The easier scenario to believe is that Gray was signed to be the 3rd stringer.
What? Quinn is going to sign with us, the contract already there, it's unlikely he back outs. The Viking was willing to trade a 3rd for Sage no less then a month ago, the intrest is still there. How is it impossible to think it will happen? Why is it a easier scenario to have Gray become our 3rd stringer, wouldn't it actually be more logical to trade Sage after we sign Quinn?

Step 1 - Get a solid back-up to replace Sage: check

Step 2 - Trade Sage for a high draft pick: uncheck?

ok......

Btw, I think the staff is high on Boyd, and he'll take over the back-up spot after the 09 season.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008   #119
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216190 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
?????

With this type of contract (options):

the Texans have a cheap QB willing to gamble that he makes it up the ladder quickly, with injuries or though competition

the Texans can see what they have and if not enthralled $40,000 will not be a deterrent when deciding cuts

he can still be used for trade when all better options to other teams are gone or another team's QB goes down and that team becomes desparate (evidently, he is the best alternative available at this time and therefore probably also later)............the more desparate the more lucrative for him and the more valuable for the Texans.

the Texans didn't want to insult Sage with a more lucrative contract and Gray was promised a renegotiation if he "beats out" Sage

the Texans are gambling that he can play up to Sage's level or better and have a Sage trade awaiting (and as you know, I feel that this could be catastrophic..........and unlikely)

Last edited by CloakNNNdagger; 03-23-2008 at 06:59 PM.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008   #120
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
What? Quinn is going to sign with us, the contract already there, it's unlikely he back outs. The Viking was willing to trade a 3rd for Sage no less then a month ago, the intrest is still there. How is it impossible to think it will happen? Why is it a easier scenario to have Gray become our 3rd stringer, wouldn't it actually be more logical to trade Sage after we sign Quinn?
Step 1 - Get a solid back-up to replace Sage: check

Step 2 - Trade Sage for a high draft pick: uncheck?

ok......

Btw, I think the staff is high on Boyd, and he'll take over the back-up spot after the 09 season.

First off I never said it was impossible to think anything will happen. The preverbial wrench in your plan is the fact that Gray signed for the smallest amount of money he could.

Why would he do that if he knew he was going to be the back-up or if he even thought he was going to be the back up? Most back-ups are paid a bit more then the vet minimum that Gray will be getting paid. The money makes the "Gray as 3rd stinger" easier for me to believe then "Gray as back up, clear additional cap space and get an additional 3rd round pick".

I hope it happens as you have described it, I really do; but giventhe contract Gray is signing it just seems unlikely to me. Espically when you factor in the fact that Drew Rosenhaus is Gray's agent.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read