Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-21-2008   #81
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: QB Quinn Gray to visit the Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I think Manfull has talked to the Texans, but can't get anyone to go on the record. They're telling her that they may carry 3 QBs and that no deals are imminent. Megan's just carrying the water for the Texans. McClain does this all the time.
I agree with most of your post, but want to make one observation. Since Kubiak has come to town, McClain's writing in particular has changed. In circumstances like you suggest, he used to say "sources with the team" or some such anonymous reference to having actually spoken to someone (**cough**Casserly**cough**). Since the last piece of the regime change was completed, those references to having an anonymous source have largely dried up. I don't think he or the Chronicle folks generally are getting the access they used to.
Old 03-21-2008   #82
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 269060 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Let me make one thing perfectly clear..............Here at the Chronicle, we deal only with the FACTS............ONLY with the FACTS...............Understand that we are only human..........and the facts can at times be confusing...........

CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008   #83
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I agree with most of your post, but want to make one observation. Since Kubiak has come to town, McClain's writing in particular has changed. In circumstances like you suggest, he used to say "sources with the team" or some such anonymous reference to having actually spoken to someone (**cough**Casserly**cough**). Since the last piece of the regime change was completed, those references to having an anonymous source have largely dried up. I don't think he or the Chronicle folks generally are getting the access they used to.
I agree and wonder if McClains comments over the Mario/Vince/Reggie selection impacted his new reduced status. He did seem to carry a torch for a while.
Old 03-21-2008   #84
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I think you are correct and I also think that McClain doesn't really have a good eye or feel for the sport....he just has good sources and contacts that give him his opinions (basically I think his journalism skills are better than his eye for the game). Over the years his ability to critically break down football games/personnel/strategy without piggy backing on some 'inside scoop' has been lacking.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008   #85
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I think you are correct and I also think that McClain doesn't really have a good eye or feel for the sport....he just has good sources and contacts that give him his opinions (basically I think his journalism skills are better than his eye for the game). Over the years his ability to critically break down football games/personnel/strategy without piggy backing on some 'inside scoop' has been lacking.
But he can sure spin a good tale and make funny videos with Anna Megan!

That's what a lot of casual fans seem to want....and 'guy talk' radio, of course.
Old 03-21-2008   #86
Arky
Veteran

Rep Power: 2328 Arky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respected

re: McClain, I think in the past Casserley was somewhat open with him but I think Smith and Kubiak are a lot more tight-lipped so, he does more speculating these days.... I'm thinking the Chronicle is pretty much reliant on whatever the Texan PR dept. feeds them...

His (McClain's) projections always seem to be just a tad off: last year we had "Carr's going to be traded" - reality: Carr was released. Lately, we get "Texans are going to select a CB in round 1 and another CB in a later round" has been revised to "they are going to take a CB or LT with the 1st pick and select the other with the next pick". So, in some respects, he's just like many of us who kinda piece together things from various tidbits even though he should have an insider's angle.

His real strength is as an "all purpose" around the NFL guy... I believe he has a weekly appearance on Titans radio. But as local Texan analyzer, I think he's lacking quite a bit. His game day blogs can be particualarly difficult to read as he becomes petulant and gripey that the Texans aren't meeting his expectations not unlike the 5-star restaurant critic who's only getting 2-star service. I recall last year season when he claimed midway through the 2nd qtr of the New Orleans game that "Mario (is) invisible today". Not sure what game he was watching but I had Mario down for a couple of tackles and a couple QB pressures at that point. Mario went on to have one of his (many) "break-out" games and had a terrific 2nd half of the season. Sometimes with him it is either "praise or slam" so I've learned to filter while reading... As mentioned, analysis is not his strong suit but for reporting the news, he's adequate...
Arky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008   #87
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

McClain can spin some yarns from the ole days when the Oilers were around,
and of course he's also usually promoting a movie which "features" a 10 to
15 second appearance by him.
Wonder what kind of money the Chronical pays someone like McClain ?
LZ probably could write a column as well as McClain and make it much more interesting and informative to serious Texans/NFL fans.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-23-2008   #88
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Anybody see Richard Justice's article in the Chron today? He basically says that trading a strength on your team to fill a weakness on another part of your team is not a step in the right direction.

Personally I feel he left out the possibility that Sage could be asking for out himself. I mean, if you were a back up getting paid a lousy back up contract and knew you were in demand somewhere else and you felt you had really only a few years left in football, wouldn't you want a trade?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008   #89
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Anybody see Richard Justice's article in the Chron today? He basically says that trading a strength on your team to fill a weakness on another part of your team is not a step in the right direction.?
Personally I feel Justice is a baseball guy and knows jack about football and needs to shut his pie hole. He just throws a lot of contrarian views out there and then acts smug when one in a hundred hits.
Old 03-23-2008   #90
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

the visit is today according to NFLTA
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008   #91
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 91895 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
But he can sure spin a good tale and make funny videos with Anna Megan!

That's what a lot of casual fans seem to want....and 'guy talk' radio, of course.
Hey now, I still stand by what I said so there. Besides, McClain's writing is no better or worse than any other journalist that writes something about the Texans and then gets flamed.

God himself could ascend from the Heavens and write something about the Texans and somebody would start a thread blasting him for not knowing anything about the Texans and calling him stupid.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008   #92
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

If Manfull said this:
Quote:
The Texans are looking to possibly carry three quarterbacks this season.
...then she spoke with someone. She typically doesn't stray too far from the quote sheet and that's about as much stepping out on a limb or quasi-independent thought that you'll ever see in one of her articles.

Everyone is talking about trading Rosenfels from an insurance sense. From a strategy sense, the Texans are paying Rosenfels next to nothing.* If they sign another QB before the draft and pay him any more then 'next to nothing,' (hard not to do) there will be adverse effects on a couple fronts - which is reason to believe they won't do it - or at least not consummate the deal before the draft when a trade is most likely to occur. And that's only possible if they can find a willing trade partner with suitable terms and a QB/agent that's willing to be strung along like that for another month or so.

*Texans | Contract update: Rosenfels - from www.KFFL.com
Tue, 28 Mar 2006 15:37:55 -0800

Houston Texans QB Sage Rosenfels signed a four-year contract with a base salary of $600,000 (2006), $1.1 million (2007), $1.35 million (2008), and $1.35 million (2009).

Last edited by aj.; 03-23-2008 at 10:49 AM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008   #93
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Quinn Gray, he can play in the league

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008   #94
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5641676.html

Quote:
Former Jacksonville quarterback Quinn Gray, said Sunday that he plans to sign a one-year contract with the Texans.

Gray, who has visited Green Bay and Oakland, said after arriving at George Bush International Airport that he has another visit lined up in Buffalo but doesn't plan to take it.

"I don't plan on leaving here," Gray said today. "I'm ready to sign. We've been talking on the phone, and now I'm going to meet face to face with Coach (Gary) Kubiak and coach (offensive coordinator) Kyle Shanahan."

"My agent (Drew Rosenhaus) has an agreement in place. It's a one-year deal."
How long till the other shoe drops?
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008   #95
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow. Thanks for posting the link, Hoth.

I just don't think we are going to carry these 3 QB's, if he does sign, and it appears he will, I will be suprised if we keep Rosenfels. I know they want to carry 3 QB's this year, but two really good back-ups translates to an additional draft pick IMO.

I wouldn't mind having all 3. I like Gray, he looked good last year and I can't believe the Jags let him get away. Guess we will see, but my guess is Boyd will be kept at the 3rd stringer (maybe on the PS if that is possible). Either way I think it is a great move, we will either have great depth at QB or we are going to get an extra pick in the draft.
Old 03-23-2008   #96
Lucky

Rep Power: 218553 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
How long till the other shoe drops?
Frerotte left Minnesota without a deal. That may signal that the Vikings are preparing to make the trade for Sage. Most teams want to get their new QBs into their facilities ASAP so they can pickup the system and interact with the players. If the Vikings are the team that's targeting Sage, I expect something in the next week.

Gray will sign a one year deal. So it's possible that the Texans could carry 3 QBs this season if they decide to spend a late choice on a prospect that fits the system. Oregon's Dennis Dixon & Tulsa's Paul Smith are a couple that come to mind.
Old 03-23-2008   #97
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Frerotte left Minnesota without a deal. That may signal that the Vikings are preparing to make the trade for Sage. Most teams want to get their new QBs into their facilities ASAP so they can pickup the system and interact with the players. If the Vikings are the team that's targeting Sage, I expect something in the next week.

Gray will sign a one year deal. So it's possible that the Texans could carry 3 QBs this season if they decide to spend a late choice on a prospect that fits the system. Oregon's Dennis Dixon & Tulsa's Paul Smith are a couple that come to mind.
I think Boyd has already filled that role (the one that might be filled by a late round draft pick). I could easily see them signing another UDFA to be a camp arm.

It would be odd for the Texans to start carring 3 QBS now, espically since Kubiak has only carried 2 in the previous years.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008   #98
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3326 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Out of all the places, I would love Sage to end up in MIN. It seems like a pretty good situation for him.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008   #99
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

"The Texans have two good quarterbacks, and if everything goes like I hope it does, I'll be added to the mix," Gray said. "I think that I can fit in here. I love Houston. I like the organization and where the Texans are headed."

"Hopefully, everything will go well when we meet (Monday at Reliant Stadium)," Gray said.

love the fact, "this just in" The Texans Have Stability @ QB- Richard Justice

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/5640711.html

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008   #100
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
At the price now in the article, at least finanically it does not have to happen.

Quote:
Gray, who has visited Green Bay and Oakland, said after arriving at George Bush Interconential Airport that he has another visit lined up in Buffalo but doesn't plan to take it. The Texans are giving Gray a one-year deal worth $635,000, including $40,000 to sign
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read