Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-20-2008   #41
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: QB Quinn Gray to visit the Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
get something while the getting is good. if minnesota throws in a 6th round with their early 3rd rounder to compensate for the Myers signing, I think we have to think about trading our backup Sage. He is going to want to leave the Texans next year in just about every scenario except complete Schaub ineptitude or poor health.

Why not bring someone else in and get while the gettin is good. A great backup is a luxury that the Texans may not need to afford. There are backups out there that wouldn't be horrible alternatives. I want a 2nd for Sage but after the Myers signing maybe a 3rd and a 5th or 6th rounder gets the job done.

I love Sage but you gotta be open to moving him if you can get something in return. Some guys will become available here over the next few months in particular. The Bucs have a glut of QBs and they can't keep em all on that roster.
I agree with what you say but Sage is under contract for two years and team is in driver's seat. Smith can play this one tight and maybe get a 2nd rounder draft day. I am not very knowledgable on other fringe QBs that might be available. I am just very pumped at the way this year seems to be breaking for Texans. Solid off season especially getting Myers (and his dad "55olinesdad")for a 6th. Man that is good dealing. We should fill some spots with 1st, 3rd and 4th in draft. I want to see what will do with 5th and 7th. ANd this is all without trading Sage or the #18.
Old 03-20-2008   #42
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas_Texan View Post

I'll take a starter and a quality backup over a slightly higher quality backup who will leave us next year for nothing and no starter.
That's what I'm saying. I want Sage to stay too but getting a backup like Gray, who has been shown alot of interest by other teams, helps me move Sage to make our team better and better through the draft.

Also take into consideration what this does to a rival. It removes a quality back up from a division rival.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008   #43
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
It removes a quality back up from a division rival.
The Jags signed Cleo Lemon to be their #2.
Old 03-20-2008   #44
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
That's what I'm saying. I want Sage to stay too but getting a backup like Gray, who has been shown alot of interest by other teams, helps me move Sage to make our team better and better through the draft.

Also take into consideration what this does to a rival. It removes a quality back up from a division rival.
Now imagine this, b/c it's not THAT unlikely. If we move Sage for a third, and we trade down in the first for another third, we will have

1st round, 3 - 3rd round picks, and a 4th rounder!!!!!!!!!
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008   #45
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas_Texan View Post
Now imagine this, b/c it's not THAT unlikely. If we move Sage for a third, and we trade down in the first for another third, we will have

1st round, 3 - 3rd round picks, and a 4th rounder!!!!!!!!!
2 3rd rounders can get you a 2nd real quick and a high one too. I guess what we are seeing here is that the value of trading Sage increases with the signing of Gray.
Old 03-20-2008   #46
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

As it stands right now we have a 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 7th Rd. Pick (5 total).

I don't know if we're going to trade Sage or trade down our first but I do think that for a team wanting to build through the draft (and needs too), Smith will be looking very hard at getting more picks. I seriously doubt we finish the draft with our 5 picks and only those.

Even if nothing too exciting happens it could be like last year during the draft. New Orleans gave us their 4th and 5th rounders to move up about 12 spots? (getting our 4th round). We netted Fred Bennett (who I think we were eyeing anyways) and Brandon Frye.

I can't wait, it's only 5 weeks away.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008   #47
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 21318 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Gray is more well regarded currently then Sage was when he was signed to be Carr's back-up.

Gray + a 3rd round pick > Sage. If the Vikings panic and offer both of their 3rds or a second then this should be a no brainer.

Times that make the playoffs, or even contend for them, rely on their starting Qb to get them there. Not their back-up; nor a combination of their starter and their back-up.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-20-2008   #48
Lucky

Rep Power: 103975 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
But Darrell Bevell (the Vikings Offensive Coordinator) was on the football staff in 1997 at Iowa State.
Nice catch.
Old 03-20-2008   #49
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Pickin's are getting slim for a reasonably promising backup QB..............Anybody thinking that we may sign Gray for the sole purpose of turning around and marketing him for a 3rd round pick? Once the draft is completed, it becomes pretty late to be trying to get a "quality" backup in. Certainly waiting until roster cuts begin is even chancier. Therefore, if Gray may be considered a semblance of a quality backup, then there will be someone out there interested in turning a deal.
The best of both worlds..............definitely hang on to Sage and get the 3rd rounder.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008   #50
Lucky

Rep Power: 103975 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
...Anybody thinking that we may sign Gray for the sole purpose of turning around and marketing him for a 3rd round pick?
I can't think of any team that's done that in recent memory. Unless you want to include the sign & trade of Henson (who was a draft pick) to Dallas.
Old 03-20-2008   #51
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I can't think of any team that's done that in recent memory. Unless you want to include the sign & trade of Henson (who was a draft pick) to Dallas.
That's one that came to mind.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008   #52
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 21318 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Pickin's are getting slim for a reasonably promising backup QB..............Anybody thinking that we may sign Gray for the sole purpose of turning around and marketing him for a 3rd round pick? Once the draft is completed, it becomes pretty late to be trying to get a "quality" backup in. Certainly waiting until roster cuts begin is even chancier. Therefore, if Gray may be considered a semblance of a quality backup, then there will be someone out there interested in turning a deal.
The best of both worlds..............definitely hang on to Sage and get the 3rd rounder.
Why would Minnesota do that when they can just sign Gray now?

One of the facets of this deal is that Minnesota wants to bring in somebosy who can compete for the starting jog, or take over if Jackson fails. If the rumors are to be believed they think Sage is the best option for this and they appear to be willing to pay, with draft picks, for him.
Old 03-20-2008   #53
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

I'm very happy to see that Rick Smith is not resting on Easter.
Old 03-20-2008   #54
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Looking over the stats from last season, some of Gray's and Sage's numbers are relly similar (if we extrapolate Gray's numbers to roughly the same amount of playing time as Sage.)

Sage would have a definite edge in completion %. The TDs would be 14 for Gray and 15 for Sage, while the INTs would be 12 for Sage and only 7 for Gray. Avg yards per completion is 6.8 to 7 with Sage getting the edge. Gray had a QB rating of 85.6, Sage's was 84.8.

Sage definitly put the ball up more then Gray, but it looks like Gray took better care of the ball. Gray had the advantage of a good running game to support him, but Sage easily had better recievers to throw to.

All in all they performed about the same last year.
Old 03-20-2008   #55
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7106 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

sage is worth a 2nd, nothing less, this will open up the 3rd to be used on a qb, is anyone high on henne? i think he could be a steal
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008   #56
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
sage is worth a 2nd, nothing less, this will open up the 3rd to be used on a qb, is anyone high on henne? i think he could be a steal
Why draft a Qb if you are going to keep Boyd on the PS, sign Gray and/or trade Sage? Why waste the 3rd?
Old 03-20-2008   #57
barrett
Hall of Fame

Section: 636
Rep Power: 1155 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

i agree with the thinking that although Sage may be a better backup than Gray, you have to take advantage of a backup's value when it's high. If trading away Sage gains us another good pick and we still have an arguably decent backup it seems to me that we gain more than we loose. But it is a risk. Make no mistake. But you have to gamble sometimes, not every time, but sometimes.
Old 03-20-2008   #58
camron1269
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 camron1269 was voted MVPcamron1269 was voted MVPcamron1269 was voted MVP

wow if we can trade sage for even a third round pick and have gray as our backup id do it in a heartbeat. gray played well in jacksonville and his receivers werent exactly andre johnson and andre davis.
what do you guys about bringing culpepper in as a backup if we trade sage?
camron1269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008   #59
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Sage is definitely worth a 2nd rounder (and maybe a little bit more). I wouldn't mind at all if they shipped him off for draft picks and signed Gray, considering how well Rick Smith and Kubes draft.

Hopefully Schaub can stay healthy, though.
Old 03-20-2008   #60
Lucky

The Chronic's Megan Manfull's take on Quinn Gray's upcoming visit:

Quote:
Everyone knows Jacksonville quarterback Quinn Gray feels comfortable at Reliant Stadium. After all, he threw for 302 yards and four touchdowns against the team in the season finale.

Now, he will visit the Texans as a free agent. The Texans are looking to possibly carry three quarterbacks this season. The past two seasons, they have carried only two. But because of all in the injuries around the league last season, it has become clear that having a third quarterback isn't such a bad idea.

Now, Quinn would seem more likely to sign with a team where he is going to be a No. 2 though. He started four games last season and won two of them. The only way he could become a No. 2 in Houston is if the Texans were made an offer they couldn't refuse for Sage Rosenfels.

Minnesota already offered them a third round pick for Sage, so he could backup to Tarvaris Jackson. With the Texans bringing in Gray, the speculation is going to increase about whether or not Rosenfels will be traded.

At this point, I don't think the Texans expect Rosenfels to be going anywhere. He is too valuable to a team that is still unsure just how many games Matt Schaub can play in a season. Because of injuries, Schaub missed five starts and left four other games early. But as the draft gets closer, if a team surprises the Texans with an offer that's hard to refuse, Gray could be their backup plan.
This reads like something out of the Texans PR department. "Now" the Texans will carry 3 QBs? "Now" Quinn Gray will agree to become a 3rd stringer, after being a backup last season? "At this point", I don't think Rosenfels will be traded, either. But if and when the Texans sign Gray, you can bet the deal for Sage is in the oven.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read