Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-19-2008   #21
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: QB Quinn Gray to visit the Texans

Sage will not go anywhere
Old 03-19-2008   #22
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Texan View Post
Sage will not go anywhere
Everything has a price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008   #23
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5063 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
What is it about Gray you don't like as a QB or at least a QB for the Texans?
his accuracy is horrid.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008   #24
Lucky

Rep Power: 218553 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 281 View Post
his accuracy is horrid.
Gray was pretty accurate on Week 17. Yes, it was against the Texans secondary. But, Gray was on the money that Sunday.

Gray doesn't seem to be a good fit for the Texans offense because he's not very mobile. I said the same thing about Matt Schaub last offseason. Then the Texans traded for him.
Old 03-19-2008   #25
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5063 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Gray was pretty accurate on Week 17. Yes, it was against the Texans secondary. But, Gray was on the money that Sunday.

Gray doesn't seem to be a good fit for the Texans offense because he's not very mobile. I said the same thing about Matt Schaub last offseason. Then the Texans traded for him.
that was one of two texans games i missed this year, actually. so i missed that one. and it was against our secondary, so it's not THAT great. haha. seriously though, i'd rather keep sage around. but we'll see soon if the texans value that 3rd round pick more.

-Ben Franklin
Old 03-19-2008   #26
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 121746 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 281 View Post
this is interesting... i hate gray as a QB... but if he signs, i'm pretty sure it's writing on the wall for sage to go to minny or elsewhere. i doubt gray would willingly come here to be the third stringer.
Particularly since Kubes has shown a preference to only keep 2 QB's on the roster.
ChampionTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008   #27
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Particularly since Kubes has shown a preference to only keep 2 QB's on the roster.
that too.

-Ben Franklin
Sponsored links
Old 03-19-2008   #28
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I liked what I saw from Boyd in the preseason. Of course, it was the preseason...against us.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008   #29
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

I think David Carr's effect on the fan base may have well skewed some people's ability to evaluate QB play for the next 5-10 years(for some I wonder if the scars ever will heal).

Pre-Broncos Jake Plummer erratic at best. With Denver he made HUGE strides. Post Kubiak Denver not so well.

If Quinn Gray does get signed I do hope the Sage trade goes through. I think his proper value is probably a third with some people wanting to jack it up to a second. If they can great. If not, another third would really help this team in the long run considering Sage could very well walk next year without any compensation.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008   #30
Lucky

Rep Power: 218553 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
If not, another third would really help this team in the long run considering Sage could very well walk next year without any compensation.
Sage is signed through 2009.
Old 03-20-2008   #31
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 318355 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

We don't need to be spending money on Gray when we have Sage. I don't want Gray as the backup, I want Sage as the backup.

If Gray is coming in as training camp fodder or future practice squad guy, OK, as long as we get him cheap. I see no need to be spending more than the NFL minimum on more QBs right now.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008   #32
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
We don't need to be spending money on Gray when we have Sage. I don't want Gray as the backup, I want Sage as the backup.
The Texans won't sign Gray unless Sage is dealt. That's the reality of the situation. I guess the Vikings looksee at Gus Frerotte pushed the Texans to reconsider this deal.

I would prefer Rosenfels to Gray as the Texans backup QB. He's a known quantity who has had success in this system. But, I can understand why Smith & Kubiak are contemplating the move. The Texans have done well in free agency with the limited resources they've been willing to use. This is not the year to break the bank in free agency. But, this team still needs more talent and depth. An additional 3rd rounder could be used on a situational pass rusher or a FS of future.

I'm sure Kubiak is thinking about Gray's performance in Week 17 against the Texans. He was the best QB on the field that day, throwing 4 TD passes. Gray has always been a strong-armed pocket passer, whose accuracy and decision making have been questioned. Gray answered those questions in that game.

I don't know if Sage will be traded or not. If so, I'll always admire him for how he's handled being the backup QB here. He never complained about his status even when he had preformed at a high level in the '06 preseason. Nor last season, when he stepped in for Schaub and helped the Texans to their 1st non-losing season. Sage would be missed, but he's deserving of an opportunity to start in the NFL. And he and his agent have probably told Smith and Kubiak as much, in private. Here's hoping that things work out well for all parties involved.
Old 03-20-2008   #33
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
I look at it like an insurance policy. Gray's not as good as Sage, but if we get an offer we can't refuse for Sage - we're not caught with our pants down... like say, we would be if our only other backup was Craig Nall or someone like that.

Also, as usual, I agree with everything AJ said. LOL.
How do we know that? Gray has much more upside than Sage did before he came here. IMO, the system is what makes the offense run. The QB just needs to know how to steer it.

If Gray has the smarts, he'd be fine as a backup QB. Let's take what we can get and make our team better.
Old 03-20-2008   #34
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

The Smith/Kubiak duo gambled big time with Texan Draft picks (2 second-rounders in case you forgot), to get Schaub. How's that lookin after we
factor in the very critical question about Schaubs durabilty ? Do they want to gamble again at QB and negotiate a trade that sends the player who many feel is the better QB for the Texans when all is considered ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008   #35
Lucky

The Chronic finally acknowledges Gray's visit.

Quote:
The Texans have set up a free agent visit with Jacksonville quarterback Quinn Gray on Sunday at Reliant Stadium.

Gray, 28, is entering his sixth season. He has played in 11 games, starting four, with the Jaguars.

The Texans have carried just two quarterbacks on their active roster the past two seasons, and both Matt Schaub and Sage Rosenfels are slated to return.

Gray won two of his four starts last season. He threw for 302 yards and four touchdowns in a losing effort against the Texans in the season finale.
Old 03-20-2008   #36
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I like bringing him in. I have no idea where the Vikings are at the moment, but us bringing Gray in does make a statement or smoke screen that we may have another suitor for Sage. If the Vikings were truly ever interested in Sage they better be on the line with us or other GMs to have a finger on the pulse of the demand for Sage around the leaue.
Old 03-20-2008   #37
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the Vikes talking to Ferrote and Atlanta picking up an extra 2nd have alot to do with this. Why not sign Gray to keep Atlanta from getting him so you can do some trading?

I am one who wants Sage to stay but if we can put a guy like Gray back there, and get a 2nd for Sage, we have to pull the trigger.

We don't know if Gray can win 4 games for us but we don't know if he will have to and we know he has done some good for his team before. Signing Gray would make Sage, who is most likely leaving us next year, expendable.

Last edited by El Tejano; 03-20-2008 at 11:25 AM.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008   #38
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Picking up a extra second or third + late round picks would really help our draft.

I think we need

1-oline
1-DB
1-Dline or 1-LB out of this draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008   #39
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
I like bringing him in. I have no idea where the Vikings are at the moment...
This probably has nothing to do with anything but I've always been interested in players/coaches background and how much of an effect that plays in personnel decisions (see endless Green Bay and Denver signings in the last 2 years)

But Darrell Bevell (the Vikings Offensive Coordinator) was on the football staff in 1997 at Iowa State. Sage Rosenfels was a four year letterman at Iowa St. from 1997-2000. Doesn't look too significant at all but just found it rather interesting that Bevell was at Iowa St. when Sage was a freshman on the team.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008   #40
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

If you can get a third for Sage and all you lose is downgrading from Sage to Gray then TAKE IT, TAKE IT FAST. Are you kidding? As someone earlier said..Gray has more upside than Sage did when he came here. What's to say Kube's and our system can't do the same for Gray.

Gray made quick work out of us last year, he just didn't have a defense doing him any favors that game.

With our drafting abilities to me a third rounder means our decision is between:
Sage or Gray AND Eric Winston

I'll take a starter and a quality backup over a slightly higher quality backup who will leave us next year for nothing and no starter.
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read