Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-25-2008   #261
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: QB Quinn Gray (update) signs with Texans

I'm like many others, I'm puzzled how we got Quinn so cheaply ? It just doesn't add up, given the very high consideration teams pay in cash
and Draft picks for the service of QBs, e.g. what we paid for a very unproven but high potential Matt Schaub.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008   #262
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I'm like many others, I'm puzzled how we got Quinn so cheaply ? It just doesn't add up, given the very high consideration teams pay in cash
and Draft picks for the service of QBs, e.g. what we paid for a very unproven but high potential Matt Schaub.
A few ideas:

1. In some of his wins, he was mostly handing off the ball. It is hard to evaluate quarterbacks who come from a team which is one of the best at running the ball.

2. He doesn't have that big college background to look at. He is athletic but doesn't have a traditional QB build.

3. There is some noise that he wasn't the best guy in the locker room. That he undermined Garrard. But then again, JAX situation last year at the QB spot was a freaking emotional mess. Lots of locker room unhappiness that didn't explode because the team was winning with Garrard. So I am guessing that is what is meant with hiim wanting a fresh start. And that his desire to compete for the starting job is not something that a lot of teams appreciate in the guy who is going to be a backup QB.

4. Given Kubiak's background, Houston is a destination for quarterbacks looking to improve.
Old 03-25-2008   #263
Lucky

Rep Power: 153310 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
"I know what people are saying, but signing Quinn has absolutely nothing to do with it," Kubiak said about acquiring Gray to expedite a trade for Rosenfels.
If that's the case, why wait so long after free agency started to bring Gray in? Gray was the first and last QB they looked at, and it took nearly a month after FA began. Why doesn't da General ask that question?

When these teams like the Vikings, Bills, and Pack settle the QB position without trading for Rosenfels, then I'll believe Kubiak is keeping Gray as a 3rd QB.
Old 03-25-2008   #264
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
Gotta love McClain's Waffle del Grande at the end of the article. I guess he's just covering all the possibilities :

Up until now - and in that article up until the final two paragraphs, it's been no, no, no, the Texans aren't considering trading Sage and they're going to carry three QBs ...

It's funny how before the internet, sports writers and op/ed columnists used to help shape the views of fans. Now with blogs, message boards, email and things like pft it's the other way around.

Well said.

Something that the article doesn't mention but I've wondered about is whether if the Texans had a viable #3 at the end of last season, Schaub would have got his shoulder surgery earlier. There was a time where there were discussions of whether Schaub would be dressed just for purposes of mostly handing off the ball.

Though the waffle del grande at the end is where the meat of this situation is, I sometimes wonder if Houston will ever get a newspaper that is more directly questioning of what is being put out in press conferences. I'm not saying that they need to be more critical as in harsh, but showing more critical thinking about moves that the team makes.
Old 03-25-2008   #265
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
"I know what people are saying, but signing Quinn has absolutely nothing to do with it," Kubiak said about acquiring Gray to expedite a trade for Rosenfels. "I've been a two-quarterback type of guy, but what happened to us last season scared the heck out of me, and I don't want to go through that again.

and...

Quote:
"I don't know what we would have done if something had happened to Sage," Kubiak said. "I don't want to go through that again. I think my philosophy has changed. I've become more of a three-quarterback guy
These two quotes could easily be smokescreens to raise the value of Sage even more. Or atleast to keep it from falling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008   #266
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
If that's the case, why wait so long after free agency started to bring Gray in? Gray was the first and last QB they looked at, and it took nearly a month after FA began. Why doesn't da General ask that question?

When these teams like the Vikings, Bills, and Pack settle the QB position without trading for Rosenfels, then I'll believe Kubiak is keeping Gray as a 3rd QB.
Dude.....

you're so right.
Old 03-25-2008   #267
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Well said.

Something that the article doesn't mention but I've wondered about is whether if the Texans had a viable #3 at the end of last season, Schaub would have got his shoulder surgery earlier. There was a time where there were discussions of whether Schaub would be dressed just for purposes of mostly handing off the ball.

Though the waffle del grande at the end is where the meat of this situation is, I sometimes wonder if Houston will ever get a newspaper that is more directly questioning of what is being put out in press conferences. I'm not saying that they need to be more critical as in harsh, but showing more critical thinking about moves that the team makes.
I think if that was the case they would just let Owen Daniels come in to be the emergency QB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-25-2008   #268
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbajwp View Post
I think if that was the case they would just let Owen Daniels come in to be the emergency QB.
But they were still talking Schaub up as someone who might play games even when he wasn't. Which may have been a matter of having teams semi-prepare for him.

I think they may have preferred Schaub with a messed up non-throwing arm over using their TE as a quarterback.

In basic terms, they really were screwed if something bad happened to Rosenfels. That being said, I'm not sure that you need a Quinn Gray to be your #3 to succeed.

Interesting thing brought up in the DGDB&D blog. By aquiring Gray, you may have in some ways increased your leverage by taking one of the potential competant backups off the QB market. And have increased interest by others by putting yourself in a position where other teams know you can deal but don't have to.
Old 03-25-2008   #269
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

We were willing to TALK to Minnesota before we even had Gray in place. I don't think this is going to take Sage off the table.

BUT... for the price that we paid for Gray and our past experience with injuries, I believe Kubiak when he says that we're going to go with 3 QB's from now on and that Gray was brought in to battle with Boyd for that third spot.

However, if someone offers us the right deal, I think we'll deal Sage. And there's a good possibility that things may work out (with injuries and the draft) that some team could get really desperate for a QB.

We're really in a pretty sweet position. We don't have to deal Sage. We're planning on going ahead with what we've got but if someone wants to throw a sweet deal our way, then great. If not, then great.

Smithiak rools.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008   #270
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
A second round pick, especially since we don't have one this year, would be very tempting. But wouldn't you feel better if we had atleast one full-year of Schaub at QB to establish his ability and durability before we delt the QB who many feel is just as good ?
I certainly wished I had been in a one year relationship with a beautiful woman that had a great job and thought I was the man of her dreams + she could cook. Having said that I would quickly settle for the telephone #(draft pick) that someone said fits the description of the woman above that I don't have. This woman may come in my life after I start dating the other (draft pick) but I have to go with what I have. Unfortunately, I keep getting third round opportunities rather than seconds.
Old 03-25-2008   #271
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's my take.

Trade Sage.
Move Quinn Gray up to #2.
Re-sign Bradlee Van Pelt.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008   #272
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Can McKinney not demand renegotiation of his contract (including guaranteed money and bonuses) from the receiving team prior to the completion of the trade (ala Hall from the Raiders)?
Hall had stroke to play with in the deal because he was only under contract through 2008. No team trading for him would want to do the deal unless a new contract was reached. McKinnie is almost in the opposite position and has no stroke because he is under contract through 2013. His only option is to sit out at which point he is not getting paid and the Texans would have zero money on their cap.
Old 03-25-2008   #273
Lucky

Rep Power: 153310 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
BUT... for the price that we paid for Gray and our past experience with injuries, I believe Kubiak when he says that we're going to go with 3 QB's from now on and that Gray was brought in to battle with Boyd for that third spot.
Have the Texans re-signed Boyd? I can't find anything on him, whether he's an exclusive free agent, a restricted free agent, or what.
Old 03-25-2008   #274
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Hall had stroke to play with in the deal because he was only under contract through 2008. No team trading for him would want to do the deal unless a new contract was reached. McKinnie is almost in the opposite position and has no stroke because he is under contract through 2013. His only option is to sit out at which point he is not getting paid and the Texans would have zero money on their cap.
Thanks for the clarification.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008   #275
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Have the Texans re-signed Boyd? I can't find anything on him, whether he's an exclusive free agent, a restricted free agent, or what.
He becomes a RFA in 2009 (He's not listed as a free agent under 2008)

Last edited by CloakNNNdagger; 03-25-2008 at 10:24 AM. Reason: for clarification
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008   #276
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
exactly. its almost a lose-lose proposition to keep Sage. if he gets time this year like last year he will demand a trade if not given the starting QB job which would diminish value because teams knew we had to deal him. if he isn't used he would probably ask for a trade to a team that needs a starter and we would probably feel more secure at QB stability if Schaub stays healthy and effective.

Sell high (trading Sage for 2nd rounder) and buy low and hope it matures (Gray). I don't think a 3rd Rounder is enough for Sage though. I would actually take a 5th Rounder this year and a Vikings 2nd Rounder next year for Sage.
Not to mention the fact that if Schaub starts off a little slow, everyone will be wanting Kubiak to pull the trigger and start Rose' right away. QB controversy is not what a young team needs.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008   #277
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Keep in mind guys get interviewed by teams before the teams give them a deal. There may have been something that the other teams didn't like that we did and we made an offer.

From what I understand the dude likes to try and become the starter, which is what I want from the QB position - starters looking behind them and reserves looking over their shoulders.
Old 03-25-2008   #278
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Because you are dealing with a QB who thought he could get a starting job somewhere else, and you don't want to deal with that dude so early in FA. Rather you wait it out and when his options are gone, you give him your deal - not his.
Old 03-25-2008   #279
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post

Re-sign Bradlee Van Pelt.
:elle:
Old 03-25-2008   #280
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmar74 View Post
:elle:
Fine fine. Dave Ragone! He's the only QB in Texans history to complete a pass to himself.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read