Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-24-2008   #241
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: QB Quinn Gray (update) signs with Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Here's a question I have for those buying the company (and the Chronic's) line of the Texans going with 3 QBs in 2008:

Why didn't Smith & Kubiak bring in Quinn Gray earlier?

Free agency started 3 weeks ago. Gray could have been scooped up by another team in the mean time. I'm pretty sure he visited a couple of teams. And the Texans haven't brought in another QB other than Gray since FA began.

Here's the Sage/Quinn timeline:

2/28 - Don Banks of SI.com quotes a "league source" that the Vikings offered the Texans a 3rd round pick for Rosenfels. Houston is reported to be seeking a 2nd rounder.
2/29 - The Star Tribune reports that the talks between the Texans and Vikings had stalled, with Minnesota possibly turning to Bills backup QB J.P. Losman.
3/18 - The Star Tribune reports that Gus Frerotte will visit Minnesota to discuss the backup QB job.
3/19 - PFT reports that Gray will visit Houston.
3/20 - Frerotte leaves Minnesota without a contract.
3/24 - The Chronic reports that Gray is signed to a one year deal.

I don't know what the next timeline entry will be. But, I see a connection between what the Vikings have done, and the Quinn signing. My feeling is that once Frerotte made his visit, the Texans caved in to the Vikings' offer of the 3rd round pick. Which in turn, had Rick Smith on the horn to Drew Rosenhaus (Quinn's agent). It wouldn't surpise me if the Vikings aren't trying to work an extension with Rosenfels, right now. Pure speculation on my part. Tell me why I'm wrong.
Guy on vikings MB made a good point Sage for a 3rd more than likely would be better than drafting anyone in the 3rd and developing them, esp if TJ is their starter.. Sage could push TJ for the starting position while a rookie would have a harder time
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008   #242
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 215632 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: QB Quinn Gray to visit the Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJB View Post
I wouldn't feel comfortable speaking in such absolutes but that's just me. You may be right...maybe Sage isn't going anywhere, but your reasoning doesn't mean anything given recent history.

Seems like I remember some saying the same thing about Carr a year ago. Something to the effect of 'we will not get rid of Carr for an unproven back-up QB'.

Well, as we all know, not only did we get rid of him and acquire an unproven back-up, we gave up two 2nd round picks for the unproven back-up...mainly b/c of the talent evaluation of Smithiak which led them to believe Schaub was worth the risk. Now, we have this current scenario which leads many of us to believe we acquired Gray in order to deal Rosenfels. It is a risk letting go of a capable back-up, but apparently Smithiak feels that Gray can step into that role AND we can get an extra draft pick.

I guess what I'm saying is that I trust the current regime to make the correct decisions...and IMO it seems that they may be leaning towards trading Rosenfels. If so, judging by our front office's track record, I believe they will make the correct call.

The difference was Carr was indisputably horrible.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008   #243
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 215632 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
No, if traded for it will be a very cheap contract through 2013. If traded, the Texans would not be responsible for any bonuses already paid and starting salaries of 2008: $3.25 million, 2009: $2.9 million, 2010: $4.6 million, 2011: $4.9 million, 2012: $4.5 million, 2013: $4 million are cheap for a LT.

Valid concern.
CAK,
I probably didn't make myself clear.............I meant specifically if we take on Bryant and he is suspended, especially long term or permanently-----shortly or down the line, it would make a seemingly cheap contract quite costly.
Old 03-24-2008   #244
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
CAK,
I probably didn't make myself clear.............I meant specifically if we take on Bryant and he is suspended, especially long term or permanently-----shortly or down the line, it would make a seemingly cheap contract quite costly.
If he grew to incorrigible then we would just cut him and carry no dead cap since the Vikings would assume the signing bonus.

This would be a great contract (sans signing bonus) to have if only on-field production were the only variable to consider for this type of young talent.

I do not think he is great, but his contract would be a tremendous value if it did happen.
Old 03-24-2008   #245
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Two other points to ponder:

- If we got McKinnie we would have three starters from Miami (FL) on the O line.
- McKinnie's agent is Mario's - Ben Dogra
Old 03-24-2008   #246
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 354011 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
If he grew to incorrigible then we would just cut him and carry no dead cap since the Vikings would assume the signing bonus.

This would be a great contract (sans signing bonus) to have if only on-field production were the only variable to consider for this type of young talent.

I do not think he is great, but his contract would be a tremendous value if it did happen.
Exactly--this is precisely the kind of deal with very low risk for a guy with potential character issues. Zero dead money if unsuccessful, with the only risk a lost backup QB.
Old 03-24-2008   #247
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting Quinn Gray video.

FWIW, he mentions Schaub. Says nothing about Rosenfels.

Hmmmmm:

HT.com Quinn Gray video.
Old 03-24-2008   #248
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

This is interesting

Quote:
When quarterback Brett Favre turns in his retirement papers, the Green Bay Packers will strike $11.4 million from payroll and quite possibly lead the National Football League in available salary cap room.
Quote:
"We don't need the cap room," Thompson said of the delay.

Indeed, they don't.

As of last weekend, they were $24.3 million below the $116 million salary cap
Quote:
Next in line: Apparently, the Packers didn't think that much of free-agent quarterback Quinn Gray.

On Monday he signed a one-year, $645,000 deal with the Houston Texans, according to the Houston Chronicle. If the Packers had any interest in signing him, they would have offered a lot more.

Gray visited the Packers, who are taking their time in finding a backup for Rodgers.
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=731473

Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008   #249
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post

Can McKinney not demand renegotiation of his contract (including guaranteed money and bonuses) from the receiving team prior to the completion of the trade (ala Hall from the Raiders)?
Old 03-24-2008   #250
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

This is from the Sports/Texans online "front page" introducing the interview concerning the new acquisitions...........accuracy is not a consideration??????

Texans update: New faces

Quote:
The Texans pick up a few players they think can help them get above .500, including Chris Brown, Jacques Reeves, Chaun Thompson and Chris Henry.
Old 03-24-2008   #251
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Is there a confused looking smiley that opens and closes his mouth while its brain seems to be working something over?

Because I just had one of those moments when I read that CnD.
Brandon420tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008   #252
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbajwp View Post
If we dont trade sage this year and he either doesnt play or plays bad then next year he will have nearly no value.

Who here wish's the Astros would have traded Brad Lidge after 05. I do.
exactly. its almost a lose-lose proposition to keep Sage. if he gets time this year like last year he will demand a trade if not given the starting QB job which would diminish value because teams knew we had to deal him. if he isn't used he would probably ask for a trade to a team that needs a starter and we would probably feel more secure at QB stability if Schaub stays healthy and effective.

Sell high (trading Sage for 2nd rounder) and buy low and hope it matures (Gray). I don't think a 3rd Rounder is enough for Sage though. I would actually take a 5th Rounder this year and a Vikings 2nd Rounder next year for Sage.
Old 03-25-2008   #253
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 7197 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected

The cover story...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5645519.html

Do you believe it? Its plausible, and that's why its good as a cover story.

Texan, back in Texas!
Texan in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008   #254
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan in Japan View Post
Gotta love McClain's Waffle del Grande at the end of the article. I guess he's just covering all the possibilities :

Quote:
Kubiak and general manager Rick Smith would like to get back the second-round pick they gave to Atlanta last year in the trade for Schaub.

Gray gives the Texans flexibility. He could be insurance in case the Texans are offered a second-round pick by Minnesota or any other team. When opposing quarterbacks are injured in preseason, they might be able to trade Gray for a draft choice or a player.
Up until now - and in that article up until the final two paragraphs, it's been no, no, no, the Texans aren't considering trading Sage and they're going to carry three QBs ...

It's funny how before the internet, sports writers and op/ed columnists used to help shape the views of fans. Now with blogs, message boards, email and things like pft it's the other way around.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008   #255
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
its almost a lose-lose proposition to keep Sage.
A second round pick, especially since we don't have one this year, would be very tempting. But wouldn't you feel better if we had atleast one full-year of Schaub at QB to establish his ability and durability before we delt the QB who many feel is just as good ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008   #256
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
A second round pick, especially since we don't have one this year, would be very tempting. But wouldn't you feel better if we had atleast one full-year of Schaub at QB to establish his ability and durability before we delt the QB who many feel is just as good ?
Honestly, I think it's a matter of "who a small minority feel is just as good" turning that into "many" is quite an exageration imho.
Old 03-25-2008   #257
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 233844 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: QB Quinn Gray to visit the Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13 View Post
"No one is giving that up for a backup"

Uhm... hello? Matt Schaub?
what he meant was: no one is giving that up for someone coming in to be the backup

Matt was coming in to be the starter
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008   #258
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
exactly. its almost a lose-lose proposition to keep Sage. if he gets time this year like last year he will demand a trade if not given the starting QB job which would diminish value because teams knew we had to deal him. if he isn't used he would probably ask for a trade to a team that needs a starter and we would probably feel more secure at QB stability if Schaub stays healthy and effective.

Sell high (trading Sage for 2nd rounder) and buy low and hope it matures (Gray). I don't think a 3rd Rounder is enough for Sage though. I would actually take a 5th Rounder this year and a Vikings 2nd Rounder next year for Sage.

Again, there was a difference. No one even considered a Lidge trade until AFTER he showed that he was not reliable. That's not the Sage scenario.
Old 03-25-2008   #259
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
As I've said before, I see no way Sage is going anywhere this year........and Quinn is in for the Texans to evaluate up close. As other teams' QBs go down..........and options have been "dried up," Quinn's value goes straight up in the mix of available "promising/potentially capable" QB's. When all is taken into account, a future Quinn based deal is the most probable.
Old 03-25-2008   #260
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 233844 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
Gotta love McClain's Waffle del Grande at the end of the article. I guess he's just covering all the possibilities :

Up until now - and in that article up until the final two paragraphs, it's been no, no, no, the Texans aren't considering trading Sage and they're going to carry three QBs ...

It's funny how before the internet, sports writers and op/ed columnists used to help shape the views of fans. Now with blogs, message boards, email and things like pft it's the other way around.
Its still "no, no, no" in my mind. McClain is speculating on possible moves - like we've been doing for 13 pages on this thread.

Its like I said several pages back; Kubiak has been head coach two years and has lost a QB both years. Both starters if you're real about it - there's no way Carr would have finished out the 2006 season had Rosenfels not busted his hand on a special teams play. We all know this. So when Kubiak says....
Quote:
"I know what people are saying, but signing Quinn has absolutely nothing to do with it," Kubiak said about acquiring Gray to expedite a trade for Rosenfels. "I've been a two-quarterback type of guy, but what happened to us last season scared the heck out of me, and I don't want to go through that again.
and...
Quote:
"I don't know what we would have done if something had happened to Sage," Kubiak said. "I don't want to go through that again. I think my philosophy has changed. I've become more of a three-quarterback guy.
...I TOTALLY believe him. Not only that, I agree.

Slow down and think about, you guys know our luck with injuries! Its always sucked! ALWAYS!! What the heck makes you think its suddenly and magically gonna get better?? It would be just our luck for us to trade Sage then have Matt go down again and have to have Quinn Gray as our starter and Shane Boyd as the back-up. Or worse have to bring in somebody like Culpepper in mid-season. No thank you.

I like this insurance idea.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read