Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-24-2008   #181
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: QB Quinn Gray to visit the Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
Why would Gray sign a low $ (by back-up QB standards) contract to come here under the umbrella of being the 3rd stinger when he could have just as likely signed with GB, Oak, or Buff for real back-up money (say a contract similar to Sage's)?

If he is here to be the back-up and we complete the Sage trade to Minn, not only will the Texans have pick-ed up an extra draft pick but they will also have generated some extra cap room (I think). It just seems like a scenario that would be to good to be true.

The easier scenario to believe is that Gray was signed to be the 3rd stringer.
March 24th article by McClain in which Gray said things had not gone in free agency that he had agent had planned. Maybe other teams had not offered much better. He did have another team (Buffalo I think) scheduled but hoped he'd not have to visit there.
Old 03-24-2008   #182
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21867 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I'll take Atlanta's 2nd rounders and a swap of our firsts if they want.
If Rick can pull that one off, I've got some money for him to invest in the market for me. Two 2nd's & a swap of 1st's (move down 2 spots) in exchange for three 2nd's & a swap of 1st's (move up 15 spots) for a one year rental. Not a bad return if I must say so myself.

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008   #183
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

I honestly think Houston is simply keeping it's options open. I believe they recieved an offer for Sage that they were not comfortable with from the Vikings, but I think they may have recieved other inquiries that prompted them to look into the possiblities for improving the team , wich lead to the possiblity of aquiring Gray to open their options up even further. It could also be possible that the Vikings wanted something more etched in stone and prior to the draft, and having someone like Gray around was the only way a pre-draft deal could go down. I don't think they are locked into any of this the way some here are hedging. I really don't think the Texan's front office is that compulsive. If you look at all the moves they have made to this point in the off-season, you can surmise that they are systematicly increasing their talent pool, upgrading where they can and leaving them in a very enviable position come draft day. They have covered several positions of need, in talent if not only depth and have spent very little cap doing it. The bummer to all this is , that doesnt guarantee them success on draft day, only incereases their odds some. Still smart moves though IMHO.
Old 03-24-2008   #184
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
No, but saying you are keeping three when it goes against philosophy is analogous to this

That is the biggest egg roll I've ever seen. Who is the Chinese guy holding it? Can you pass an egg roll?
Old 03-24-2008   #185
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Seems like this is the way Rick Smith does business when it comes to QB's.

They didn't get rid of Carr until they had Schaub locked up. I imagine that's the same way that they'll handle the 2nd stringer as well.

This wouldn't go down unless Gray knew that he had a chance to play here.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008   #186
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 4279 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
March 24th article by McClain in which Gray said things had not gone in free agency that he had agent had planned. Maybe other teams had not offered much better. He did have another team (Buffalo I think) scheduled but hoped he'd not have to visit there.
He signed the veteran minimum. It's impossible for another team to have offered him anything less.

I believe that Kubiak wants Rosenfels to be in a position of success, and that he would give him the chance if he were able. We have Schaub, and Rosenfels can never take that spot due to the truckload of money we are paying him.

I would love to see Rosenfels start for another team. He deserves it. Now that we have Gray I have no problems with it.
Old 03-24-2008   #187
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14190 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

What if we end up trading Boyd for a lower round pick?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-24-2008   #188
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
That is the biggest egg roll I've ever seen. Who is the Chinese guy holding it? Can you pass an egg roll?
"it is labrador man"
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008   #189
badboy
Site Contributor

Who is our new starter selected in 2nd round to be?
Old 03-24-2008   #190
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
What if we end up trading Boyd for a lower round pick?
I think Rick Smith should be awarded NFL Executive of the Year if he can turn a QB who has never thrown a pass in a regular season game into a draft pick.
Old 03-24-2008   #191
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14190 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

If anything, what we need to do is look to Rick Smith and staff and give them a round of applause. Even if nobody goes anywhere, they basically increased the level of talent at the QB position which is the most important position on a football team.

Also, they've allowed The Texans to be fully prepared for any possible scenarios come draft day. Now The Texans wont be caught slipping if a great trade scenario comes about and we will not be handcuffed on our ability to manuever.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008   #192
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 171483 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

They latched onto a commodity .
Old 03-24-2008   #193
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I'm wondering now if there is another team in play for Sage? Green Bay still needs a backup. If the Bills trade Losman, they'll need one too.
Chris Brown of buffalobills.com thinks this idea is peachy keen. But, he thinks Sage is worth no more than a 4th round pick.

Quote:
QB ROSENFELS AVAILABLE?: With Houston reportedly set to sign Jacksonville free agent QB Quinn Gray, their current #2 QB Sage Rosenfels is said to be on the trading block. While there are those in Houston who don't like that idea, I like him a lot as an option for the Bills as a #2 assuming J.P. Losman isn't serving in that role. Rosenfels appeared in 9 games last year, starting five and put up an impressive 84.8 passer rating despite playing on a roster lacking talent and no #1 receiver with Andre Johnson out most of the season with an injury. And by the way he also has that colossal comeback win over the Bills while serving as the backup QB for the Dolphins in 2005. The Texans are reportedly asking for a 2nd or 3rd round pick, but no one is giving that up for a backup. He could probably be had for a 4th, so if the decision is made to move Losman in one deal, making another to acquire Rosenfels would be a solid move.
Old 03-24-2008   #194
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 195074 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
Exactly. Couple this with the way Gray played last year when filling in for Garrard. He didn't look like a #3 to me, he looked a lot like Sage, definite solid #2 who could start when your #1 goes down with very little drop off. There is no way we can carry these 3 QB's.

Think about it, Sage is in demand right now, we can trade him for real value. We bring in Gray to replace Sage, they are both solid QB's and are great back-ups. Here's the head scratching part, why didn't Minnesota make a play for Mr. Gray instead of giving up the hypothethical 3rd Rounder.....or there is another suitor for Sage, either way great move by Rick, yet again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie View Post
Here's a wild idea that has no basis or thought process what so ever. If Minnesota wants Sage so badly & we need a LT so badly, why not trade Sage for the troubled Bryant McKinnie? I realize it's not a fair swap, but if we could work out the particulars, would you consider it? Is he salvageable? According to this article, his cap hit wouldn't be that bad for a starting LT & Sage's $1.85 million cap hit would offset 25% of it. I'm not sure how bonus money would be transferred, but that could possibly further reduce the cost. Not likely to even be discussed, but it's food for thought.

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci...nclick_check=1

One of the deterrents for clubs to release high-priced veterans is the salary cap. But if the Vikings cut or trade McKinnie, their salary-cap implications would be minimal. Not only is the club approximately $17.5 million under the cap, McKinnie's current cap number is $7.4 million. Releasing or trading him would cost the club only an additional $1.4 million.

If the Vikings are serious about moving him, they probably would have several suitors. Although he could face a suspension because of this incident — NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has the authority to punish players, even without guilty pleas — McKinnie plays a high-demand position, he's 28, he's extremely durable (87 consecutive starts), and he's relatively cheap (his base salary is less than $5 million through 2011). In fact, there has been speculation that the Vikings have discussed a trade with the Carolina Panthers. Among the players rumored to be discussed: defensive end Julius Peppers and offensive tackle Jordan Gross. The offensive tackle class also is considered fairly strong in the NFL draft.
This isn't McKinnie's 1st brush with the law [LINK]
..........and for the type of problems he has demonstrated, it's not likely to be his last.

Quote:
McKinnie has faced legal charges before. He was involved in the "Love Boat" scandal in 2005, pleading guilty to misdemeanor disorderly conduct. The NFL fined him $41,000 dollars for that on September 9, 2006, a day before he signed a reported 7-year, $48-million dollar contract extension. If convicted for this latest arrest, the NFL's personal conduct policy makes it clear:

Any Covered Person convicted of or admitting to a criminal violation (including a plea to a lesser included offense; a plea of nob contendere or no contest; or the acceptance of a diversionary program, deferred adjudication, disposition of supervision, or similar arrangement) will be subject to discipline as determined by the Commissioner. Such discipline may include a fine, suspension without pay and/or banishment from the League. Any Covered Person convicted of or admitting to a second criminal violation will be suspended without pay or banished for a period of time to be determined by the Commissioner.
Besides, somehow, I don't think that the Texans would be interested in taking on the risk of a big contract (and it will ultimately be a big contract), with impending suspension, and justifiable fear of ban following a 3rd incident due to not being able to confine "violence" to the field.

Last edited by CloakNNNdagger; 03-24-2008 at 01:17 PM.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008   #195
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 4279 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Chris Brown of buffalobills.com thinks this idea is peachy keen. But, he thinks Sage is worth no more than a 4th round pick.
"No one is giving that up for a backup"

Uhm... hello? Matt Schaub?
Old 03-24-2008   #196
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Gray is officially a Texan. Welcome aboard.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5643930.html
alphajoker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008   #197
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13 View Post
"No one is giving that up for a backup"

Uhm... hello? Matt Schaub?
You have a great point.

I think the national media tends to downplay how good Rosenfels is and the local media is a little delusional.

I'm still amazed by this sentence in Richard Justice's missive on Rosenfels:

Quote:
The Texans cannot and must not trade Sage Rosenfels. It's not even a close call.
Wha?

Basically, it's a question of respective value.

1. Is Gray good enough to be coached up to be a respectable backup? I think the answer is yes. Justice dismissed Gray as just someone who was replaced with Cleo Lemon, but Rosenfels was in similar positions with the Redskins and later the Dolphins.

2. Is someone going to give the Texans enough value to let lose of Rosenfels? The team he would be going to would be getting a relatively cheap contract, so in some ways Rosenfels' value is higher than Schaub's in that regard.

I think that value is worth more than a third round pick in a market of really crappy quarterbacks.

Here's what I wrote on this stuff:

Quinn Gray to the Texans: Where Will Sage Rosenfels Go?
Old 03-24-2008   #198
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Basically, it's a question of respective value.

1. Is Gray good enough to be coached up to be a respectable backup? I think the answer is yes. Justice dismissed Gray as just someone who was replaced with Cleo Lemon, but Rosenfels was in similar positions with the Redskins and later the Dolphins.

2. Is someone going to give the Texans enough value to let lose of Rosenfels? The team he would be going to would be getting a relatively cheap contract, so in some ways Rosenfels' value is higher than Schaub's in that regard.

I think that value is worth more than a third round pick in a market of really crappy quarterbacks.

Here's what I wrote on this stuff:

Quinn Gray to the Texans: Where Will Sage Rosenfels Go?
Great article and good points.

So here is a new question I have.

Rick Smith may say that we want to carry three veteran QBs, but most Texans fans know that that hasn't been the case. Is Rick playing some smoke and mirrors to prevent Rosenfels from losing trade value, or is he serious about having all three?
Old 03-24-2008   #199
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10704 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13 View Post
Great article and good points.

So here is a new question I have.

Rick Smith may say that we want to carry three veteran QBs, but most Texans fans know that that hasn't been the case. Is Rick playing some smoke and mirrors to prevent Rosenfels from losing trade value, or is he serious about having all three?
There are many veteran QB's, it does not neccesarily has to be Quinn and Rosenfels. I smell a trade coming, and for Rosenfels sake, I hope he gets the opportunity to go somewhere and show his worth, he deserves a shot at it.

Seriously, if Kitna can (and I kinda like Kitna), Rosenfels should have a chance too
Old 03-24-2008   #200
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 7197 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected

I believe Sage will be traded. It might not happen until the draft, but more than likely he's already got several possible buyers. Signing Gray gives us protection and leverage. We can wait for the best possible deal and then execute.

I really like Rick Smith's style and savvy. The three QB rhetoric keeps Sage's value up, but also lets prospective teams know that first buyer to meet our price will get themselves a darn good QB and leader.

Daddy likes!

Texan, back in Texas!
Texan in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read