Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-18-2008   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 140377 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Earned every $

Texans have had some players that were over paid for what they did, but name some that earned every dollar. I will start off with LT Salaam. Signed as basically a back up, he has started almost every game for two years. I remember a game last season he had a foot or leg injury and waived off the guy coming in as he wanted to remain in the game. Past or present players accepted. We may draft a LT of the future, but like Ephraim said on a recent sport talk show, he was not planning on rolling over.
Old 03-18-2008   #2
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Earned every $

D. Ryans.....kids a freakin' beast. I know he's young, but he's earned his money and then some.

Dunta....great corner and a secondary building block. Hopefully he'll return 100%.

Dayne.....I know I'll get hammered on this one, but he's been servicable and helped out at the end of both seasons; sometimes single handedly. He doesn't cost much, so I think he earned his pay.

Sage.....kids been a great backup QB. Nuff said.

Almost forgot....AJ & AD....both solid players.
Old 03-18-2008   #3
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 72571 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I think you would have to add most of the backup DL we have, like Maddox and Killings. We've had several backups step up and play well on the cheap.
Old 03-18-2008   #4
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 72750 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Cochran isn't even counted againt the cap he get paid so little. (outside the top 51 players)

Diles, Winston and Bennett are all bargains still on there rookie contracts, but making an impact.
Old 03-18-2008   #5
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2029 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

Anthony Weaver - There's a reason this guy earns the most out of our d-linemen. He consistently gets to the quarterback and in almost every single play, I see him in the backfield making a huge tackle or disrupting a play.

But seriously, DeMeco, OD, and Caveman all deserve to be on the list. Pretty much anyone from the 2006 draft, lol.

Last edited by AnthonyE; 03-19-2008 at 03:15 PM.
AnthonyE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008   #6
MeLoveTexans
All Pro

Rep Power: 1781 MeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedMeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedMeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedMeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedMeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedMeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedMeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedMeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedMeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedMeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedMeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Cochran isn't even counted againt the cap he get paid so little. (outside the top 51 players)

Diles, Winston and Bennett are all bargains still on there rookie contracts, but making an impact.
Yea.. but even though Cochran gets paid hardly anything, i still think he needs to have an All-Pro year in order to be worth every dollar to make up for what he did to Dunta
MeLoveTexans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008   #7
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 140377 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

what about guys from our past?
Old 03-18-2008   #8
marroncito
Rookie

Aaron Glenn - he and Dunta formed a great tandem. the secondary took a noticable decline when he left.

Dominic Davis - he played most of his short career being paid as a 4th round pick. I'd say he would have been worth the deal they gave him if he stayed healthy.

Jonathan Wells - this guy really produced as a spot starter. The Texans won a game or two on his back.

Billy Miller - any time your Carr's only target, you're earning your pay. He was the passing offense the 1st year.

Jamie Sharper - he was paid decently, but i think he went a little bit above and beyond as the leader of the defense. a bad defense became horrible when he left.
marroncito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008   #9
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyE View Post
Anthony Weaver - There's a reason this guy earns the most out of our d-linemen. He consistently gets to the quarterback and in almost every single play, I see him in the backfield making a huge tackle or disrupting a play.

But seriously, DeMeco, OD, and Caveman all deserve to be on the list. Pretty much anyone from the 2006 draft, lol.
OD seems like a younger Dallas Clark. However he seems to be a little ahead of where dallas was at this time. IMO

might get ripped for that but oh well
Old 03-18-2008   #10
Texaninlild
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4558 Texaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Texaninlild

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipTraxx View Post
OD seems like a younger Dallas Clark. However he seems to be a little ahead of where dallas was at this time. IMO

might get ripped for that but oh well
I think OD is a little more well rounded TE. OD was a steal in round 4 for the production and ability. Who had even heard of OD before he was drafted?

I think Clark is a better receiver and deep threat. He always seems to find the sweet spot for Payton.
Texaninlild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008   #11
badboy
Site Contributor

I think Chester Pitts was a huge bargain until he made up for it with his extension.
Old 03-19-2008   #12
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Kris Brown. He's bailed us out of a couple games.

Vonta Leach. Nuff said.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008   #13
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 82785 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texaninlild View Post
I think OD is a little more well rounded TE. OD was a steal in round 4 for the production and ability. Who had even heard of OD before he was drafted?

I think Clark is a better receiver and deep threat. He always seems to find the sweet spot for Payton.
when you've had marvin and reggie around your whole career its a little easier to find that deep seam.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008   #14
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Jason Simmons. I don't really have much an opinion on him as a player besides he's good depth, but what he did for that family in order for Ahman Green to get his number was awesome. So I figured he belonged on this list.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008   #15
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

The fans: for having to endure 5 years of CC and crew

seriously
I think El Tejano said it best with his choices (underrated people)
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008   #16
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

I'm real surprised his name hasn't come up, but Andre Davis was the first name that came to mind. I want to say his contract was only around $800,000. For that money he: sold out on passes, returned kickoffs with the best of them, helped out on special teams, and stepped in for AJ when he was injured. You couldn't of asked him to do anything more than he did last year, and this is after he decided to take less money so he could come to Houston.
Old 03-22-2008   #17
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 119538 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Houston got their dime's worth with Mario. I just stumbled onto this article and wanted to post it, this is as good a place as any.

Mario Williams Visits Houston
By J. P. Crawford

Mario Williams is arguably the most explosive Defensive End in the 2006 draft. Could it be that the Texans are looking for a way to obtain Williams to help out their defensive line?

The Houston Texans met with potential draft prospect Mario Williams yesterday at Reliant Stadium in Houston. Williams (6-7, 295) is a Defensive End from North Carolina State University and is considered to be the nation’s top defensive end pick in this year’s draft.

The pure athletic talent that is demonstrated by Williams is one that is unrivaled by many. After starting every game last season for the Wolfpack, Williams was selected to All-ACC First Team honors. The Sporting News has Williams ranked as the number two Defensive End in the country, as well as selecting him to their All American first team.

Williams is very fast considering his big frame and size. He runs the 40 in 4.66 seconds. He is very aggressive and excellent against the pass block. At the end of his Junior season at NC State, he had racked up 13 sacks and 23.5 tackles for a loss. With some final touches on his consistency, Williams could become one of the elite pass rushers of the NFL.

Williams’ biggest problem heading into the draft is that he is not a finished product, which is not necessarily a bad thing. He looks sometimes like he doesn’t give 100% on every play and will need to be taught self-motivation, although an NFL contract may do just that for Williams. While he is an outstanding pass blocker, Williams does need to work on run blocking to become a more will rounded Defensive End.

The Texans haven’t really spoken about potentially drafting Williams, but that may be because Williams is expected to go early in the first round, which means that unless the Texans are willing to choose a Defensive End instead of the Heisman Trophy winning Running Back Reggie Bush, it is unlikely that Texans fans will see Williams in a Houston uniform next season. Although, word is from the Texans that they were very impressed by Williams showing and is really giving them something to think about.

Realistically, the Texans will not have the ability to get to Williams before he is snatched up by another team. Prior to his visit with the Texans, he had been to Detroit to talk to the Lions, and still has another six visits scheduled with other NFL teams during the next two weeks on the road. While Williams is indeed an impressive prospect.

hou.scout.com

Showtime100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008   #18
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

You've hit most of our recent players but I think there are a couple others you've forgot from previous years

Lundy- started a few games on 6th round salary even if he was cut the following year

Sage- okay he didn't start but if backing up Carr didn't make him kill himself than he deserved more than he got that first year
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008   #19
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

also Fred Weary
not great but started opposite Pitts who was making like 10 times his salary

Briesel steped in and didn't mess up which was the only thing he had to do
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008   #20
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
when you've had marvin and reggie around your whole career its a little easier to find that deep seam.

Mike
well put

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read