Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-18-2008   #1
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans 1st round trade Rumor

Does anyone know where this Thomas Hilton cat gets his info? Here's something he posted on his blog. Actually TC's old blog. I don't know how much weight this has, but I thought I'd post it anyways.

Quote:
NFL trade talks heat up: I have heard from NFL scouts and there are a number of websites and media networks who have recently reported that the Texans are in talks with the Pittsburgh Steelers for Houston to trade their # 18th pick to Pittsburgh for their # 23 (1st round) & # 88 (3rd round) picks. This would give the Texans two picks in the 3rd round - # 79 & # 88.

The Steelers are wanting to move up in the first round in order to have a chance at getting: Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma. - This makes sense in order to keep Big Ben happy by supplying him with his requested "taller receiver" and Kelly is one of the best WR in this draft.
http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans...hold_em_1.html
Old 03-18-2008   #2
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans 1st round trade Rumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Does anyone know where this Thomas Hilton cat gets his info? Here's something he posted on his blog. Actually TC's old blog. I don't know how much weight this has, but I thought I'd post it anyways.

http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans...hold_em_1.html
I have no clue about Thomas Hilton at all, but I would be pretty happy with this scenario. The only thing better would be getting a second rounder but for 5 spots a 3rd round pick is very fair IMO.
Old 03-18-2008   #3
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it would make more sense if they were moving up for Brandon Albert. Probably using Malcolm Kelly as a smokescreen. I'd rather the Texans sit tight and take Brandon Albert themselves.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008   #4
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
I have no clue about Thomas Hilton at all, but I would be pretty happy with this scenario. The only thing better would be getting a second rounder but for 5 spots a 3rd round pick is very fair IMO.
Oh there's no doubt I'd jump all over this scenerio. I'm just questioning this dude's sources. Which IMO, are bogus.
Old 03-18-2008   #5
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Oh there's no doubt I'd jump all over this scenerio. I'm just questioning this dude's sources. Which IMO, are bogus.
Yeah, I agree. But if turns out to be accurate we need the practice in drafting this late, as this is to be where we draft for the next decade.
Old 03-18-2008   #6
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Well, he says he's heard from NFL scouts. Intentionally vague, with no chance of verification. I'd say he's in line for a job at the Chronic.
Old 03-18-2008   #7
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I havn't heard this rumor but I really think draft pick and draft player trades aren't going to be this detailed this early in the game. I can definitely see Rick Smith talking with other GM's around the league, letting them know we are very interested in trading with someone because we would like more draft picks, but that it's going to have to be a fair trade or else it wont get done.

I think WR is a position a team might definitely trade with us to select though. The teams immediately behind us may all really be targeting a WR. And most teams will be targeting a certain WR to fit their scheme and what they're trying to do- so they most likely won't be like "oh darn Kelly is gone we'll just take the next best guy. It's of my opinion they think- this certain player is worth giving up a third rd pick to move up to get- he's EXACTLY what we want."

Of course, hopefully, no team is going to make this kind of trade before the draft even occurs. From our standpoint, we NEED to see who's available and if a certain player like a LT in Clady or Williams is available, we might say 'we value this guy way more than a trade down'. Likewise, a player the Steelers are targeting (Kelly) could be taken much earlier and so trading up would be useless. Again, I could see the Texans/Steelers talking but I doubt they are going to say yea we're looking to get Kelly wanna trade maybe on draft day?

Back to the trade though, Assuming some of the top guys that would really help us are gone by the 18th, I would love this trade. And would take it.

Last edited by Ole Miss Texan; 03-18-2008 at 01:01 PM.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-18-2008   #8
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
(UPDATE: Mon. March 17) - The Texans, Vikings, and Packers have reportedly had discussions with free agent QB Craig Nall. If all the Vikings do is add Nall behind Tarvaris Jackson, we wouldn't bet on them making the playoffs. Nall knows Gary Kubiak's system, but the Texans already have one of the league's top backups in Sage Rosenfels. If Houston acquired Nall, it's possible that Rosenfels would go on the trade block.
from the link on original post

could be interesting
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008   #9
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know what Hilton knows or doesn't know. He was floating the rumor that Michael Turner was signing with the Texans. That didn't pan out.

If Kelly ever works out for scouts, he could be a hot commodity. And the teams that are between Houston and Pittsburgh in the draft order (Philly, Tampa Bay, Washington, and Dallas) could be looking at a big WR like Kelly. So, I'm not saying this deal wouldn't make sense. Just that you have to consider the source as to how real it is.
Old 03-18-2008   #10
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I havn't heard this rumor but I really think draft pick and draft player trades aren't going to be this detailed this early in the game. I can definitely see Rick Smith talking with other GM's around the league, letting them know we are very interested in trading with someone because we would like more draft picks, but that it's going to have to be a fair trade or else it wont get done.

I think WR is a position a team might definitely trade with us to select though. The teams immediately behind us may all really be targeting a WR. And most teams will be targeting a certain WR to fit their scheme and what they're trying to do- so they most likely won't be likey "oh darn Kelly is gone we'll just take the next best guy. It's of my opinion they thinking- this certain player is worth giving up a third rd pick to move up to get- he's EXACTLY what we want."

Of course, hopefully, no team is going to make this kind of trade before the draft even occurs. From our standpoint, we NEED to see who's available and if a certain player like a LT in Clady or Williams is available, we might say 'we value this guy way more than a trade down'. Likewise, a player the Steelers are targeting (Kelly) could be taken much earlier and so trading up would be useless. Again, I could see the Texans/Steelers talking but I doubt they are going to say yea we're looking to get Kelly wanna trade maybe on draft day?

Back to the trade though, Assuming some of the top guys that would really help us are gone by the 18th, I would love this trade. And would take it.
I'm glad i read your post before just immediately posting as I agree with you. Unless it is an over whelmingly favorable offer, I do not see Texans making a trade prior to draft day. We have to see if a Mendenhall or WIlliams falls.
Old 03-18-2008   #11
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
from the link on original post

could be interesting
COme on dice, throw me a snake eyes (2nd round) for Sage.
Old 03-18-2008   #12
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

I like the idea of getting an extra third. I also like the idea of not dropping too far down. Then again, I am not sure of its source, but I think its an interesting idea.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008   #13
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If Houston acquired Nall, it's possible that Rosenfels would go on the trade block.
The Texans had Nall last season and cut him. If the Texans sign Nall, he's training camp fodder. Not Sage's replacement.
Old 03-18-2008   #14
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

I would be cool with this, if the people like Mendenhall and Chris Williams are gone.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008   #15
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
The Texans had Nall last season and cut him. If the Texans sign Nall, he's training camp fodder. Not Sage's replacement.
If Nall was so well liked and so good why does he keep getting cut by the Packers and Houston and other teams through out the year every year, repeatedly.
Old 03-18-2008   #16
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

Without getting into the validity of the source or the merits of trading Sage or not, it sure would be interesting to see what Rick Smith could do with three 3rd round draft picks.

The move down to Pittsburghs spot would still leave us simular quality of players as we would have at 18. More than likely if the Texans have 5 players they are looking at for the 18th spot, one or more will still be there at 23

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008   #17
Hook'er
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 Hook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden cover

I would be all over that, then grab Cason at #23.
Old 03-18-2008   #18
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the Titans will be looking for a WR, don't know where they pick but Pitt may be wanting to prevent a team like that from getting the guy they want. I say do it. We don't have a 2nd and if we can get another pick it would be good.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008   #19
steds
Veteran

Rep Power: 329 steds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
I think the Titans will be looking for a WR, don't know where they pick but Pitt may be wanting to prevent a team like that from getting the guy they want.
Titans have 24, one below Pittsburgh
steds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008   #20
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1067 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think he has a single solitary source that's reliable. He himself admits that his 'sources' are just college buddies who have jobs around the league. That doesn't really mean anything.

Let's not forget that right when FA started, he said through his sources that the Texans were on the verge of signing a name FA running back... then promptly named every single name FA available, as if that were privledged or difficult-to-find information. Then it turned into Michael Turner, which was based again on college buddies. I like Thomas and his blogs, but he doesn't have any more information than any of the rest of us do.

Look at this latest post -
Quote:
I have heard from NFL scouts and there are a number of websites and media networks who have recently reported that the Texans are in talks with the Pittsburgh Steelers for Houston to trade their # 18th pick to Pittsburgh for their # 23 (1st round) & # 88 (3rd round) picks.
Okay... a number of websites? If so, where are the links? It may very-well be true, but if there are a "number" of sites reporting it, don't you think one of us hardcore Texan off-season junkies would have found it by now? I know like a lot of you guys, I constantly scour the internet for updates and info on our off-season moves. I haven't seen a peep about it.

Quote:
If Houston acquired Nall, it's possible that Rosenfels would go on the trade block.
... that's just a football-ignorant statement. TH knows better than that. I'm surprised he said that.

www.HoustonDiehards.com

Last edited by DiehardChris; 03-18-2008 at 01:46 PM.
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read