Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-11-2004   #41
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
Thanks for elaborating. Since I'm using sarcasm, I'll ask again. Like what?
I know this question wasn't directed at me, but didn't Benson get charged with possession of marijuana around his junior year?
texasguy346 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004   #42
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Quote:
I know this question wasn't directed at me, but didn't Benson get charged with possession of marijuana around his junior year?
Quote:
it's not the marijuana. it's also assault, obstruction of justice, ...

he pulled a ron artest^2. he beat the **** out of a guy who he thought had stolen his TV. not "spur of the moment"- a planned assault. the guy did not have his TV- he was just someone who lived in their apartment complex who was "different looking" they knocked his door down to enter his apartment. multiple felonies.
1. He was never charged with possession of marijuana. He was in an apartment of a girl that had marijuana in her purse and paraphenalia in a closet. They also tried a minor in possession of alcohol because there was some beer in her refrigerator. In otherwords, the police could knock down my door right now and take my kids in because they're all 3 under 21 and I have beer in the refrigerator. Any charges that the DA thought about bringing on were dropped because he knew he didn't have a case.

2. He was never charged with assault. There was no fight between Benson and some other person.

Quote:
Texas running back Cedric Benson was charged Tuesday with forcing his way into an apartment to look for a television he says was stolen from him. Benson was charged with criminal trespassing, a misdemeanor punishable by up to one year in jail and a $4,000 fine if convicted, police spokeswoman Laura Albrecht said. Benson turned himself in to the Travis County Jail and was released, said his attorney, Brian Carney. Benson, the leading rusher for the 19th-ranked Longhorns (5-2) with 498 yards and 10 touchdowns, did not practice Tuesday and coach Mack Brown said he would not start Saturday against Baylor. The player is accused of joining three other males in forcing their way into the apartment Oct. 7. Benson had reported the television was stolen from him in 2002. According to the arrest warrant, a woman who lived at the apartment told police four men knocked on the door. When she didn't answer, the men tried the doorknob before kicking in the door. The woman told police that a male with braided hair told her that her roommate had taken his plasma television and he wanted to know where it was. Benson wears his hair in dreadlocks. The woman said the men looked through the apartment for the TV and left when they didn't find it.
Odd...I don't see any mention of Benson planning an assualt. In fact, I don't see any mention of any type of assualt on anybody.

As you can see, "criminal trespassing" is hardly a "felony". Neither is possession of marijuana (even if he was convicted of it). Obstruction of justice? This one is new to me.

But if you could provide a link that describes this assault and the other felonies, I'll glady announce Cedric Benson to be a piece of trash. Finding a link shouldn't be too hard. We're talking about a Doak Walker winner with a criminal background, right?
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004   #43
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Did you not bother reading the police report? He was charged with criminal trespassing. Felony breaking and entering and misdemeanor criminal trespassing are different things. Are you aware of these differences?

Here ya go:

breaking and entering [n] - trespassing for an unlawful purpose; illegal entrance into premises with criminal intent

Now Benson's "purpose" was to recover his stolen TV. When he realized his TV wasn't in the apartment...he left. He didn't take anything with him. Hence, it wasn't "breaking and entering".

But again, any luck with that assault and "multiple felonies" link?
Old 12-11-2004   #44
Huge
Hall of Fame

Also, Brock Edwards (Texas Longhorn football player) was charged with assault stemming from a fraternity fight.

It (UT football players getting charged) does happen. Am I blind to other incidences? Nope. But I guarantee you're further from the truth than I am on Benson.
Old 12-11-2004   #45
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Benson is lucky he didn't get shot.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004   #46
Huge
Hall of Fame

Quote:
BS. unless you're prepared to say OJ is innocent. cedric got the (darrel) royal treatment there in austin.
Which part are you claiming to be BS?

Brock Edwards was indeed charged with assault. This is simple fact. See...
Quote:
University of Texas fullback Brock Edwards was sentenced to two years probation and 200 hours of community service and was ordered to pay $5,700 in restitution after pleading guilty to assault in a fraternity fight last year. Edwards, 20, pleaded guilty on Thursday. He had been charged with aggravated assault causing serious bodily injury, a felony punishable by up to 20 years in prison. The charge was reduced to misdemeanor assault at the victim's request, prosecutors said. According to Travis County Assistant District Attorney David Luna, Edwards punched Thomas Graham in the face, knocking him out, and then kicked him in the face. Graham suffered a broken nose and had reconstructive surgery, Luna said. Edwards also was fined $1,500 by state District Judge Jon Wisser.
See how easy that was to find an internet quote? That took about 37 seconds. So I'm sure you'd have no trouble finding any felonies on Benson considering he's a much higher profile player than Edwards was. Or are you dodging this for a reason?

Was Cedric given special treatment? I'd agree with that. Had he served his 8 day sentence (customary with misdemeanor criminal trespassing convictions), would you still be claiming felonies?
Old 12-11-2004   #47
Huge
Hall of Fame

Well okay. I guess you and I just have differing opinions about what a "stone-cold criminal" is.

Benson has pleaded guilty to misdemeanor criminal trespassing because he kicked the door down of an apartment where he thought his stolen TV was.

Outside of that, there isn't anything else on him. If that makes him a "stone-cold criminal" in your eyes...then okay. I'll just have to disagree.
Sponsored links
Old 12-11-2004   #48
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

the presentation ceremony is about to begin I hope they are able to squeeze in some interview time, I may weight this facet to heavy but I'm always impressed when the physcially gifted can communicate & express effectivley with people & don't seem disturbed or big headed about the whole superstar thing. If so I think you all will be impressed with Alex, what a bright young man with a clear understanding of football, unselfish & everything the Heisman should stand for.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004   #49
MarleyFan
Veteran

Did they mention during the show that Alex Smith, and Reggie Bush were high school teamates?
MarleyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004   #50
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

yes they sure did, actually interviewed together. I see your from CA you probably know a little more information from their High School days, apparently Reggie Bush was quite the stud even back then while Alex played second fiddle. Tonight Alex edged his former teammate but next year will be even more competitive with Alex, Reggie & Peterson all returning.
Old 12-11-2004   #51
MarleyFan
Veteran

I am in Norcal, so we do not get much info about the Southern California High Schools. But I heard earlier this year that Reggie Bush was highly recruited and only one or two D1 colleges offered Alex Smith a scolarship while they went to scout Reggie Bush.
Old 12-11-2004   #52
beerlover
Site Contributor

Glad to have you a board Marley are the Raiders going to draft a QB this year? thought they might of taken Rothelisberger last year, but Gallery is an awesome talent as well.
Old 12-11-2004   #53
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Peterson beats out teammate but finishes second to USCs Leinart.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004   #54
Huge
Hall of Fame

Bush was considered the #1 all-purpose RB in the country by Rivals (good judgement on Rivals part).

Alex Smith was not rated at all and considered a "2-star" (out of 5) prospect (not-so-good judgement on Rivals part).

Leinart wins, eh? Guess it had to be somebody.
Old 12-11-2004   #55
MarleyFan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
Glad to have you a board Marley are the Raiders going to draft a QB this year? thought they might of taken Rothelisberger last year, but Gallery is an awesome talent as well.
I am a big Tuiasosopo fan, I hope he gets a shot at the starting job going into next year. If they keep Collins they are paying him a lot of money to be a backup.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read