Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-14-2008   #1
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Interesting Contrast

In past years we have all seen how Stats, Inc. attributed sacks across the OL and the total came no where close to the number of times the QB's were sacked. For this past season:

Player--sacks, false starts, holds

Salaam--10, 3, 3
Pitts--2.5, 3, 4
Flanagan--2, 2, 0
McKinney--1, 0, 0
Weary--.5, 1, 0
Studdard--.5, 0, 0
Briesel--0, 1, 0
Winton--3.5, 7, 0

So in 2007, 20 of 22 total sacks were attributed to the OL leaving just 2 to the RB's and QB's. Quite the change.
Old 03-14-2008   #2
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 103838 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Interesting Contrast

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
In past years we have all seen how Stats, Inc. attributed sacks across the OL and the total came no where close to the number of times the QB's were sacked. For this past season:

Player--sacks, false starts, holds

Salaam--10, 3, 3
Pitts--2.5, 3, 4
Flanagan--2, 2, 0
McKinney--1, 0, 0
Weary--.5, 1, 0
Studdard--.5, 0, 0
Briesel--0, 1, 0
Winton--3.5, 7, 0

So in 2007, 20 of 22 total sacks were attributed to the OL leaving just 2 to the RB's and QB's. Quite the change.
It also shows how bad Salaam really is, too.
Old 03-14-2008   #3
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30855 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
It also shows how bad Salaam really is, too.
You have to factor in the fact that Salaam typiclly sees the opposing team's best DEs week in and week out.

The 7 false starts on Winston is what really jumped out to me. That and the fact that only the left side of the line seems to get called for holding.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #4
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
You have to factor in the fact that Salaam typiclly sees the opposing team's best DEs week in and week out.

The 7 false starts on Winston is what really jumped out to me. That and the fact that only the left side of the line seems to get called for holding.
yes typically the LT and LG get the lion share of the pressure. Then conversely in the run game the RG and C usually blow the assignment.
Old 03-14-2008   #5
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 103838 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I understand that and I think he can do well as a backup swing OT, but he's not good as an everday starting LT. He's continuously beat by speed.

I agree on Winston.
Old 03-14-2008   #6
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 13034 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

The false starts just show he's eager to jump out and pop someone in the mouth!!
Brandon420tx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #7
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153410 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I understand that and I think he can do well as a backup swing OT, but he's not good as an everday starting LT. He's continuously beat by speed.

I agree on Winston.
I think that was the original plan but when Spencer went down it forced him in the starting line up...frankly imo he hasn't played badly for a guy forced into action from the reserves so I cut him a bit of slack when I think of his game.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-14-2008   #8
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

That must be 7 holds total on the offensive line on pass plays. If you include running plays, there must have been more holding penalties, right?

The stats also don't include penalties such as lining up in an illegal formation (Salaam) and such.
Old 03-14-2008   #9
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I think that was the original plan but when Spencer went down it forced him in the starting line up...frankly imo he hasn't played badly for a guy forced into action from the reserves so I cut him a bit of slack when I think of his game.
I agree for the most part. Spencer was injured 2 seasons ago, which forced Salaam into action. I gave Salaam some slack then (06), but not so much this past season. I presume he'll step back into his backup roll this season. At least I hope.
Old 03-16-2008   #10
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 57275 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Whats the story on Weary? From these numbers, he had an OK year last year
Old 03-16-2008   #11
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Whats the story on Weary? From these numbers, he had an OK year last year
He will be lucky to make it back from his injury for training camp. Moreover, he is an unrestricted FA.

I would love to have him back, but this is a team on the rise and there will be a lot of competition on the O Line in my opinion, and that competition starts with being signed and being healthy.
Old 03-17-2008   #12
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

I wish we knew more about Spencers status. It could give us a clue about where we will go in the draft. Hopefully he has the work ethic to come back this season and show what he was showing before he went down. It would be REAL nice not to have the injury bug hit this team as bad as it has in the past. I truely believe that if a few key player wouldn't have been out last season we could have had our first playoff birth. I know it doesn't mean a gosh darn thing but man it would have been nice to have Spencer, AJ, Schaub, Green and Dunta for a full season last year. Oh well Que sera, sera.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008   #13
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overalls View Post
I wish we knew more about Spencers status. It could give us a clue about where we will go in the draft......

I wouldn't at all be surprised to see Spencer become the invisible man (no mean feat considering his size) as the draft gets nearer. Everybody plays their cards close as the draft nears and I could see the Texans keeping Spencers status under wraps or even reporting it incorrectly to keep our intentions concealed.
Old 03-17-2008   #14
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And that he dosen't get nearly as much help from a TE as the RT does.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008   #15
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

player----sacks---false starts---holds

Salaam----10-------3---------3 (16 game, starter)
Pitts-------2.5-----3---------4 (16 game, starter)
Flanagan---2-------2---------0 (13 game, starter) released
McKinney---1-------0---------0 (3 game, starter)
Weary-----.5-------1---------0 (8 game, starter) UFA
Studdard--.5-------0----------0 (3 game, spot duty)
Briesel-----0-------1----------0 (4 game, over Studdard)
Winston---3.5------7---------0 (16 game, starter)

Pitts & Winston are keepers, Salaam has been serviceable. center position filled by back-ups. RG has been a carousel needing help but unwilling to spend the 5 mil FA going rate. This is why the Texans need/should address the OL via this draft

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008   #16
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 57275 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I wouldn't at all be surprised to see Spencer become the invisible man (no mean feat considering his size) as the draft gets nearer. Everybody plays their cards close as the draft nears and I could see the Texans keeping Spencers status under wraps or even reporting it incorrectly to keep our intentions concealed.

Honestly, with this history this team has with injuries, Im beginning to think that the smoke and mirrors they seem to produce is more a factor of them being wrong or not knowing than purposely witholding information.
Old 03-18-2008   #17
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

Quote:
I'm looking at it like Kubes....he's gone and not coming back. But maybe that can be the surprise lift we need this year if he does!
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008   #18
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
...I could see the Texans keeping Spencers status under wraps or even reporting it incorrectly...
Hasn't that been the case? With Spencer and just about every Texan injury?
Old 03-18-2008   #19
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 217165 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Salaam is probably the best left tackle we've had. I suppose an argument could be made for Pitts, but Salaam has played well, given the situation. And he has played tough. I like him.

The fact that a journeyman left tackle is the best we've ever had is somewhat unsettling, however.
Old 03-18-2008   #20
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Hasn't that been the case? With Spencer and just about every Texan injury?
Most teams are doing this, the Broncos was always bad about reporting info and Patriots are the worst at it.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read