Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-14-2008   #1
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Ron Dayne??

I've heard NOTHING about him, and Houston media lines us up like this:

Green - will get hurt
Brown - will get hurt
Taylor - will he be back and 100%?
Walker - too small to be every down back

So I'm confused as to why Dayne isn't in the mix as the back up, everyone else is hurt, I'm on fire starting in November back?

Is he wanting too much money or what?
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #2
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ron Dayne??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post

Green - will get hurt
Brown - will get hurt

So I'm confused as to why Dayne isn't in the mix as the back up, everyone else is hurt, I'm on fire starting in November back?

I am pretty sure its as simple as wanting to go in a different direction. Sure Taylor and Walker are on the roster now but neither one of those guys cost anything to cut and there is no reson to think the Texans wont Draft a guy come Apr 26.

Dayne is slow and old thats why he isnt back.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #3
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrewster2000 View Post

Dayne is slow and old thats why he isnt back.
With the injury histories of Green, Brown, and Taylor...Dayne should keep the phone nearby.
Old 03-14-2008   #4
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Cool Re: Ron Dayne??

If we draft I just hope he turns out better than our laundry list of drafted/FA backs (Davis, Lundy, Walker, Green, Taylor...). I only want him around because he's been a sure bet.

NOW, if we get someone like Mendenhall, I'm ok with Dayne being gone. 1 Wisconsin mini-helmet notwithstanding.
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Old 03-14-2008   #5
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
With the injury histories of Green, Brown, and Taylor...Dayne should keep the phone nearby.
Well, I guess I'll have to cut his phone line then. I don't want him near our team in 08.

Old 03-14-2008   #6
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Well, I guess I'll have to cut his phone line then. I don't want him near our team in 08.

What if we draft a late round back? You don't want Dayne then?
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Old 03-14-2008   #7
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 56461 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Dayne can't make the squad of a quality NFL team. If he's on the team, that means we have a serious talent deficit.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-14-2008   #8
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No. I don't want Dayne under any circumstance. I hate to sound like a broken record about my stance on Dayne, but he lacks vision for the cut-back, he's unable to get to the outside on wide stretch plays or pitches and he doesn't run through tackles like a 250+ lb RB should.

I've watched a few of this past season's games numerous times (lol) and there were way too many yards left on the field on his runs.

Old 03-14-2008   #9
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Dayne can't make the squad of a quality NFL team. If he's on the team, that means we have a serious talent deficit.
Which I think we have at RB - and I fear the Chris Brown signing may be an indication we're not drafting a RB early. A few injuries, and BLAMO! It would be nice to have Dayne in the wings.

I only hope I'm wrong and the FO doesn't think Brown is the solution.
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Old 03-14-2008   #10
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
I think we could still get a very good back in the later rounds of the draft. A guy like Tashard Choice or Cory Boyd are talented backs that could likely be had in the 5th round or later.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #11
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
And in the last 2 years that's been exactly the case. Could be the case this year yet again, who knows. There are too many unknowns right now to have any solid opinion. Of course there are going to be those that don't like Dayne at all, and that can be justified. However, as much as most people don't want to admit this, our team would be worse off the last two years without him.

Ahman Green is an unknown- heck he may be forced to retire like Domanick.

Chris Brown, while intruiging got a very small contract, so that tells me the front office isn't bettin on him being our savior.

Chris Taylor is coming off injury too and as high as kubiak is on him, there's no guarantee he's going to make the squad.

Darius Walker performed decently, but it doesn't look like he's going to be the everydown back we need.

Draft- doubtful we go RB in the 1st round with McFadden/Mendenhall most likely gone, Stewart just had surgery on his toe, we have Green who's expensive but can be cut, Brown who looks like the FA RB kubiak said he'd get...et. We are definitely going to draft a back but not on the first day if our picks stand as they are.... Kubiak doesn't like putting rookies out there to start right away at RB (so we think).

Yikes, this position doesn't look so solid now does it? I've always liked Dayne because he's a hard worker and gives us a solid effort. He's not an all-pro by any means but he's done exactly what we've needed him to do. Not be our franchise RB but come in because we're desperate and need the help. Seems to me in the past we really havn't had any better options so I don't get all the hate towards Dayne. Now we're starting to have better options like maybe Green, maybe Brown + hopefully Taylor/Walker, but those are all still unknowns and if they fail Dayne might just need to be that grinder we need at this point in their building.

Dayne will find a spot on another team and he won't be sitting there waiting for our phone call right before the first regular season game. We can count on some injuries at various positions during the offseason/training camp. we can count on at least one of our RB's getting cut.

Now this is not saying we need to sign Dayne right away or at all, or that he's the right guy for the team. It's just stating that in the past we haven't had any better options and Kubiak/Smith are trying to field the best team the can. Hopefully our outlook looks better from here on out but it's not a solid position by anymeans. We can't name 1 running back out of 5 currently on the team that we know for sure will be on the team during the regular season.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #12
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Hopefully our outlook looks better from here on out but it's not a solid position by anymeans. We can't name 1 running back out of 5 currently on the team that we know for sure will be on the team during the regular season.
"must spread some rep around..."

Exactly my point (your entire post). Guess we'll all have to wait and see in April
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Old 03-14-2008   #13
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

I think what is going to happen is that Ahman Green will get hurt in pre-season and will be cut and the rookie will end up as the starter and Brown as the short yardage back and Darius Walker as the 3rd back. From the looks of it that we will probably go best available in the 1st round which will be either a RB, OT, DL or DB. I think if we sign either Andre Dyson or Fernando Bryant we will probably draft Mendenhall if he is there and if not I think should trade back.
Old 03-14-2008   #14
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90373 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

If its possible to buy stock in Twinkees and Ho-Hos, I would. Their stock is bound to go up when Ronnie get's the depression binge thing going.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #15
steds
Veteran

Rep Power: 329 steds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't worry. Arliss Beach is the answer...
steds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #16
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Green - will get hurt
Brown - will get hurt

You also have to put Dayne on the - "will get hurt" list too.

He could have some keep running it games, but kept on having nagging injuries. In 2006, he got injured during pre-game warmups of the last game. Last season, he had ankle and rib issues that were messing with him too.

They figure Brown is an upgrade over Dayne if both are healthy, and then hopefully they get their young back who won't hurt himself during warmups.

If you are chosing between two players who have gotten dinged, Brown and Dayne, they figure Brown fits their style better. Just guessing.
Old 03-14-2008   #17
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Exactly my point (your entire post). Guess we'll all have to wait and see in April

my te@ le@ves tell me Ronnie is *gone*. The only quetion rem@ining now is when do they do it ?

Wh@t should be prety obvious by now is this crew is not going to over p@y for s@fties or running b@cks. They @re looking for their Ry@n Gr@nt @nd they @in't giving up till they find him.

The 800k de@l is only good @s the @mount of time they c@n keep him re@dy to pl@y.
I guess three broke b@ck veter@n RBs, in their mind, equ@ls one stud rookie. Might work out.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 03-14-2008 at 01:46 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #18
Spled
All Pro

Rep Power: 51 Spled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respected

773 yards last season, 4 per carry, 1 fumble, zero lost. This was with a mediocre line and pass game. Hasn't been injury prone and since he's usually been a back up he's not used up. Hopefully Green and Brown won't both go down or we may miss Dayne.
Spled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #19
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 329529 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
my te@ le@ves tell me Ronnie is *gone*. The only quetion rem@ining now is when do they do it ?
He isn't even on the team--he is an UFA.
Old 03-14-2008   #20
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
I think what is going to happen is that Ahman Green will get hurt in pre-season and will be cut and the rookie will end up as the starter and Brown as the short yardage back and Darius Walker as the 3rd back. From the looks of it that we will probably go best available in the 1st round which will be either a RB, OT, DL or DB. I think if we sign either Andre Dyson or Fernando Bryant we will probably draft Mendenhall if he is there and if not I think should trade back.
Unless Green is only @ble to cr@wl onto the prctice feild....they
@re not going to e@t th@t contr@ct... they would be @dmitting they m@de @ mist@ke. They @ren't going to do th@t untill the horse is shot, stone cold de@d, @nd they're throwing lime on the corpse. This w@s @ cle@r sign@l...better buck up there...they @in't dr@fting @ Rb in the top nintey pl@yers. Not going to h@ppen.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read