Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-14-2008   #61
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 7744 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: LB Chaun Thompson to visit | update: signed contract 3-14

Looks like a good backup ....... which is what we lost. Upgrade, maybe, but probably not. We've stayed about even.
maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #62
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
If we can sign one of those corners coming in - Bryant or Dyson, I really think we might go with a LT in the draft in rd 1. It's a good draft for them, and having a Bryant/Dyson and a Reeves takes the pressure off a bit on the CB position. Take a LT in rd 1, CB in rd 3, and best available from there at any position of need.
Agreed, except I'd like them to get an RB in the third. But an LT or a CB/safety with that first pick.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #63
Imatexanfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1227 Imatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Signed Chaun Thompson

The Texans have reached a two-year contract agreement worth $4 million and a $650,000 signing bonus with outside linebacker Chaun Thompson, an unrestricted free agent from the Cleveland Browns.

Still, I'd like to see some competition for his spot. I believe Thompson can play all three LB positions, so maybe if it's a neck-and-neck race between he, Diles, and Bentley on one side, Kubes will try whoever is in 2nd place in that race on Greenwood's side too.

We can't have playmakers at every position. Nobody does. I think a lot of teams would like to have a solid, not spectacular LB like Greenwood.

Also - guess who had the highest base salary on the Texans last year? Morlon Greenwood. $3,264,000. Others made more money after bonuses and such - but as far as base salary, Greenwood topped the list. Second-highest base salary? Anthony Weaver.
Imatexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #64
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

this offseason is working out great, starting to look like bpa in the draft, it's nice to have people that know what they're doing
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008   #65
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

someone made a point about losing the expansion tag

I probably (like normal) over analyze things..

I wonder how much of the decision process beside money was get the chance to play next to Williams and Ryans
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008   #66
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
this offseason is working out great, starting to look like bpa in the draft, it's nice to have people that know what they're doing
All hail Rick Smith.
Old 03-15-2008   #67
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: LB Chaun Thompson to visit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrewster2000 View Post
2 years 4 mil, 600,000 guaranteed. Its another reasonable signing. chaulk another one up to Smith. He is putting road graders all thru the roster without breaking the bank. those #s are in the link above.
Conflicting stories. NFL Network reports this deal as 2 years 2.4 mil, 605,000 guaranteed. That makes this an even better signing for a versatile depth/SP guy.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-15-2008   #68
rickyb
Scarlet is hot.

Rep Power: 211 rickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
See this is the type of signing I like. New blood, some team speed, not too expensive...just bits and pieces that add up on the collective defense or offense. I think it is this type of work that Smith really makes his mark.
Smith is probably one of the top 3 signings in the history of our organization.
rickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008   #69
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyb View Post
Smith is probably one of the top 3 signings in the history of our organization.
Rep your way. I agree: Rick Smith is earning all of his salary.

I know I'm critical of QB/RB situations here, which is also a function of Rick Smith's job, but overall the guy is doing a great job.
Old 03-15-2008   #70
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: LB Chaun Thompson signed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
he is a physical specimen....at worst case he can make us a little more physical and still has some upside I assume.
Something I don't think that has been mentioned.................In his rookie year 2003, he played in all 16 games................and has played UNINJURED in every subsequent game to date............
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008   #71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1298 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: LB Chaun Thompson signed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Something I don't think that has been mentioned.................In his rookie year 2003, he played in all 16 games................and has played UNINJURED in every subsequent game to date............
don't jinx it!!!

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008   #72
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 49476 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Chaun is a solid addition- all the way around. adds length & edge rusher, excellent speed/vertical to disrupt passing lanes. starter material.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008   #73
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

In an interview, post-game, after the losing to us at the end of the '06 season...Chaun said that next year (07) the Browns would be a playoff team.

He was almost right...but I bet none of us (nor most fans in America) would have predicted it. That tells me that he has a nose for analysis; he has the ability to see "down the road" and to anticipate based on his knowledge of things.

As a WTAMU grad (where Chaun played college ball) I am definitely biased, and I think he's a quality person, so I tend to hype a guy who is maroon & white like me.

CND's right: The guy is an iron man. Unless a freakish thing happens, we won't be seeing him in-and-out of the lineups all the time. If I'm not mistaken, he spend a lot of time on special teams early on...so, he adds value in that respect, too.

So glad he's on the team. I hope he prospers back home in the Lone Start state.
Old 03-16-2008   #74
Hook'er
Veteran

Rep Power: 13 Hook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogmrb View Post
Looks like a good backup ....... which is what we lost. Upgrade, maybe, but probably not. We've stayed about even.
I think he could win the starting job.
Old 03-16-2008   #75
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

I like the signing, I like the Bentley signing also, our LB corps just got twice as deep IMHO. I also think we will not see a big drop off if either of them or Diles has to spell Ryans in the Middle, wich is huge to me. I think as good as Ryans is, he shouldnt have to take every snap. Fresh LB's are quicker LB's.
Old 03-16-2008   #76
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2029 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_Gamer View Post
I like the signing, I like the Bentley signing also, our LB corps just got twice as deep IMHO. I also think we will not see a big drop off if either of them or Diles has to spell Ryans in the Middle, wich is huge to me. I think as good as Ryans is, he shouldnt have to take every snap. Fresh LB's are quicker LB's.
I have to agree with this. I like this signing as well.
Old 03-17-2008   #77
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Does anyone think he might be told to add a few more lb's and become our 3rd down speed rusher? I'm just thinking aloud again so be nice.

From everything I've read about him, his speed and pass rushing abilities are his strengths and his "smarts" are not. I'd say throw him in there on third downs and let'em eat.
Old 03-17-2008   #78
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

My initial evaluation of him was he would back up Greenwood and could play all 3. I anticipated the SAM to be Diles with Bentley supporting unless he could beat out the sophomore. With Diles allegedly being slower, I'm now thinking Diles may remain in a back up role unless he has a great TC and Chaun and Bentley will compete for starter on strong side. Over all the LB corps appear much stronger than last year and quicker on the right.
Old 03-17-2008   #79
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 85708 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
In an interview, post-game, after the losing to us at the end of the '06 season...Chaun said that next year (07) the Browns would be a playoff team.

He was almost right...but I bet none of us (nor most fans in America) would have predicted it. That tells me that he has a nose for analysis; he has the ability to see "down the road" and to anticipate based on his knowledge of things.

As a WTAMU grad (where Chaun played college ball) I am definitely biased, and I think he's a quality person, so I tend to hype a guy who is maroon & white like me.

LOL... nose for analysis... yeah, I'd say you might be a little biased...
Another way to look at it is that he was just being a cocky young football player, and was nearly correct in saying they would make the playoffs...

But he "missed it by that much"

michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008   #80
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 7744 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'er View Post
I think he could win the starting job.

Well, I hope you are right. But, it also depends on the quality of his competition, right? Which is ????
maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read