Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-14-2008   #41
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: LB Chaun Thompson to visit | update: signed contract 3-14

See this is the type of signing I like. New blood, some team speed, not too expensive...just bits and pieces that add up on the collective defense or offense. I think it is this type of work that Smith really makes his mark.
Old 03-14-2008   #42
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Good price, I'm all for it.

Hey, we can chalk it up as our second round pick 5 years removed!
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #43
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon
Default Re: LB Chaun Thompson to visit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Will Demps could not even make an NFL roster last year.
Kevin Walter was the 4th WR with the Bengals.
Andre Davis could not contribute with the Browns or Bills two horrible offenses.
Sage Rosenfels was not a regualr starter with Miami.

I could probably go on.

The job of a GM and scouting department is to locate players that have some chance to be better here than they were somewhere else. Does it work every time? Of course not. As long as the team is not overpaying for the "risk" of this type of player the Texans are welcome to sign as many as responsible salary cap management will allow.
great point. all these guys are pretty much the same speed in pads, its all about putting them in position to make plays and coaching/using them in such a way that they show production and improve.

i like the fact that almost all our pickups are young players that still have upside and could blossom in the Texan's program. We are still building through youth and now seem to be able to attract players without having to overpay due to the expansion tag.
Old 03-14-2008   #44
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 275769 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Why did he lose his starting role?
D'Qwell Jackson beat him out.
Old 03-14-2008   #45
texdawg
Veteran

Rep Power: 2455 texdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Why did he lose his starting role? He did start for a couple seasons, right? I like Peek, but it wasn't him that beat him out was it?

Do you think he'll fit the 4-3 better than the 3-4?

Sorry for all the ?'s. Just curious
I do not get see all the games and will not try to act like some know it all scout. My opinion of what I have seen is that Chaun was in a situation in Cleveland where he was under-utilized. By that, I mean that the coach (Romeo) almost ALWAYS plays veterans over less experienced and more athletic guys. Exceptions are Joe Thomas and Eric Wright.

I do not believe Chaun actually ever was a consistant starter, maybe I'm wrong. Either way, if he was, he did not register as any sort of star as LB. He made some plays that as a fan you say " why doesn't he play more?". Part of why some (female dog) about Romeo.

Sorry I'm not an expert and can't give more detailed info on his potential. But, you should know that as a Browns fan, I'm not alone in thinking that the Browns let a good player go.
Old 03-14-2008   #46
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been checking out a few Browns MB's and several people seem to think he's a bit slow upstairs. They said he wasn't able to adjust from the team switching defenses so much.

Most seem to agree that he's a very good player who makes alot of big plays. Everyone says he's a burner and the reason Cribbs has had success in the return game.

I'm glad to have him. Especially at the price agreed to.
Old 03-14-2008   #47
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
D'Qwell Jackson beat him out.
Jackson is a hell of a player and picked right after DeMeco when he was drafted.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-14-2008   #48
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Looks like this year the Linebacking corps has a chance to turn around like our WR's last year.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #49
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 166542 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: LB Chaun Thompson to visit

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
No offense, but the source isn't that credible when it says he hasn't visited anyone and he is in Houston right now.
Obviously, "It is what it is."
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #50
hobie
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3753 hobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respected

Well it's good that they are going after players who have some upside, that being said though, his numbers aren't that great, but adds depth and has experience. With the D line coming into it's own and the LB's building to be better, it's looking like this team will be able to add pressure to opposing teams. And then add that the salary hit is low, so not overspending is the biggest thing...
Kubiak and Smith are building it slow, but it is coming along !
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #51
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 166542 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I've been checking out a few Browns MB's and several people seem to think he's a bit slow upstairs. They said he wasn't able to adjust from the team switching defenses so much.

Most seem to agree that he's a very good player who makes alot of big plays. Everyone says he's a burner and the reason Cribbs has had success in the return game.

I'm glad to have him. Especially at the price agreed to.

Does this mean we've picked up another player with bad knees????????
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #52
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Does this mean we've picked up another player with bad knees????????
Think of it this way, we now have Chaun for Antwaan.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #53
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie View Post
Well it's good that they are going after players who have some upside, that being said though, his numbers aren't that great, but adds depth and has experience. With the D line coming into it's own and the LB's building to be better, it's looking like this team will be able to add pressure to opposing teams. And then add that the salary hit is low, so not overspending is the biggest thing...
Kubiak and Smith are building it slow, but it is coming along !

I think this is a solid pick up. I think they are counting on him to come in and compete for a starting job but aren't handing it to him. If nothing else he could be a solid rotation guy. As you said his numbers for last season aren't great but he had the same number of sacks as Weaver did last season as our starting DE. The chain keeps getting stronger.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #54
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

If only for his special teams impact it is a great signing. Our special teams is a good unit and if Thompson can push that another step forward I'm all for it.

The battle for the SAM spot should be fascinating. Am I right that it will be Diles vs. Bentley vs. Thompson? Whoever emerges from that talented trio will be a worthy player for the team.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #55
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 12627 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

I have one question though, Can he cover? Sure he's fast, but can he cover from the linebacker spot too? That would help alot in our defense.
Brandon420tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #56
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 275769 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon420tx View Post
I have one question though, Can he cover? Sure he's fast, but can he cover from the linebacker spot too? That would help alot in our defense.
He covers better than Danny Clark.
Old 03-14-2008   #57
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52757 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm kinda hoping he turns into the Browns reject of the year. I kinda liked the last one.
Old 03-14-2008   #58
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

does this mean that Greenwood is gone?

Thompson comes in and they are pretty high on Diles.

is he ridiculously overpayed or am i just cheap?
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #59
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3rm0nt3r View Post
does this mean that Greenwood is gone?

Thompson comes in and they are pretty high on Diles.

is he ridiculously overpayed or am i just cheap?

Dont think Greenwood is going anywhere. The competition is for the Strong Side or SAM linebacker position. Diles, Thompson and perhaps Bentley/Draftee will compete.

Diles seems a little small to play that backer. He'd have to cover tight ends and from what i hear he's not all that fast.

I'd say Thompson is the front runner at that spot.
Old 03-14-2008   #60
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52757 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

If we can sign one of those corners coming in - Bryant or Dyson, I really think we might go with a LT in the draft in rd 1. It's a good draft for them, and having a Bryant/Dyson and a Reeves takes the pressure off a bit on the CB position. Take a LT in rd 1, CB in rd 3, and best available from there at any position of need.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read