Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-13-2008   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Exclamation LB Chaun Thompson to visit | update: signed contract 3-14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
From what the fatty with no neck is saying, we're looking at Chaun Thompson too.

http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2008/03/i...ns_rbs_fi.html

I didn't want to derail the CB thread that we were looking at..so HOU-TEX first showed this

this is a 5 part serious on Chaun before the draft and i realize people change after 5 years in the league but

Quote:
This is the first in a series as SI.com follows West Texas A&M linebacker Chaun Thompson in the weeks leading up to the 2003 NFL Draft in April.

By B. Duane Cross, SI.com

He has the size -- 6-foot-2 and 240 pounds -- and the speed -- timed at 4.53 in the 40. Now all West Texas A&M linebacker Chaun Thompson wants is the chance to play on Sundays.

With E.J. Henderson, Mario Haggan, Terry Pierce and Bradie James garnering most of the hype for inside íbackers at the NFL Scouting Combine last month, Thompson felt like a wide-eyed kid while walking among the players heíd previously only seen on TV.

Maybe now those "big-name" players will tell their grandchildren of being on the same field as Thompson.

"After doing my physical," Thompson said of his initial combine experience, "I looked down at my shorts, and thought, 'Dude, Iíve got on new NFL gear! Iíve got my name on my back!' I was really happy.

"Then I walked in and bench-pressed 225 [pounds] 29 times. I was pumped about that; others didnít get as many. Those Division I players are just like me; youíve got to hit the weight room and work hard."
2nd part
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo.../thompson_two/
3rd part
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...hompson_three/
4th part
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...thompson_four/
5th part
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...thompson_five/
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008   #2
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: chaun thompson

not much but his cleveland browns page
http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/player.php?id=235

can play inside or outside
Old 03-13-2008   #3
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30856 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd assume he would be the SAM backer; where his blitz skills could be best used.
Errant Hothy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008   #4
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30856 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Texans | Team meets with C. Thompson
Thu, 13 Mar 2008 14:19:05 -0700

Tony Grossi, of The Plain Dealer, reports the Houston Texans met with free-agent LB Chaun Thompson (Browns) Thursday, March 13. Thompson is scheduled to take a physical with the Texans Friday, March 14.
http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Already scheduling a physical? Maybe they are close on a deal?
Old 03-13-2008   #5
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 199937 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
not much but his cleveland browns page
http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/player.php?id=235

can play inside or outside

Monday, March 3, 2008
Who is Chaun Thompson?[/

He is a versatile linebacker that the Seahawks may be eying help shore up the reserve corps, which was decimated by the loss of Kevin Bentley and Niko Koutouvides. Adam Caplan states......

While the Cleveland Browns are still interested in re-signing Chaun Thompson, a league source told Scout.com the versatile free agent linebacker has also drawn the interest of the Seattle Seahawks.

Seattle lost versatile backup LB Kevin Bentley to the Houston Texans on Monday and are looking for a linebacker, such as Thompson, who is capable of playing multiple linebacker positions.

For another thrilling scouting report......

007 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.
Grade: 57 | Key
Alert: TM

Comment: Thompson has good size, speed and in-line explosiveness. He is somewhat versatile. He has played outside linebacker and now aligns inside. He is a playmaker who has untapped ability. He is a high-effort defender who can pursue and chase down plays from the back side in the run game. He can make quick reads and disrupt plays before they gain any momentum. He has enough functional strength to set the edge on the outside. He can bend the edge and close with a burst to the quarterback. He is a valuable kickoff cover guy who can blow up a ball carrier. But Thompson has a lot of holes in his game. He isn't a very good take-on player. He prefers to slip blocks and isn't very explosive or technically sound in stack-and-shed mode. He lacks fluidity and struggles to flip his hips in space. He makes occasional jaw-dropping plays, but not consistently. He doesn't pick things up quickly.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008   #6
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: LB Chaun Thompson to visit

As a West Texas A&M University graduate, and as a fan who has seen virtually every WTAMU home game since 1997, I can say that Chaun is THE type of player and PERSON that McNair wants on this team.

I have seen Chaun play for WTAMU, and I have followed him during the time he spent on the Browns. He was mostly a 3rd down LB due to 4.53 speed (used as a blitzer on most 3rd downs), but he started getting lots more reps due to some injuries to other LBs on the team. From what I remember, he began playing a fairly large role over the course of many seasons in Cleveland. IMO, he was a casualty of a crowded LB crew, and a lot of his interviews tend to point towards that assumption.

As a person, Chaun is top notch. He hasn't forgotten his home, where he came from, and he gives a lot back to this area. He needed some hours to get a degree, and he finished it up after going pro. He's a dedicated person.

I'm obviously a homer for the guy. Would love to see us sign him.

Here's some articles on Chaun from our local newspaper:

A Good Pre-Draft Article With Lots of Background Info

Quote:
"In his years at WT, Thompson had shifted position, seen a succession of position coaches come and go, lost his grandmother and recovered from a broken elbow. His statistics were good but not spectacular. Thompson played most of his senior season in 2002 hobbled with an ankle sprain but recorded 100 tackles for the third straight season.

"He played hard every down," Head Coach Ronnie Jones said. "People in the conference were aware of him and what he meant to our team. It's a tribute to him and his character that he was named LSC linebacker of the year and all-conference and all-American."
Chaun Returns Home to WTAMU

Quote:
"This is a pleasure. Every time I sign an autograph, maybe it will change somebody's life for the better. I know that if I make a mistake, all this could end. People are looking up to me, and I know I've got to provide a positive role model," Thompson said.
Thompson Interview After Losing to the Texans in '06 Season

Quote:
"I know this team is getting better," the 6-2, 250-pounder said. "It's all about making plays in this league. If you make them, you win. If you don't, you lose."

Thompson has been an iron man since the start of his NFL career. He has played in all 64 Browns games since he has been a pro, starting 13 in 2004 and 15 in 2005.

Last edited by GP; 03-13-2008 at 07:46 PM.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008   #7
Wolf
100% Texan

so he might be a cheaper Jason Babin type

serious nice work GP thanks for the info
We will see what happens

Last edited by Wolf; 03-13-2008 at 08:15 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 03-13-2008   #8
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 51315 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Hate to rain on anyones parade but how does a guy who cant crack the starting rotation of the worst defense in the league supposed to help us?

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008   #9
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 52901 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

What does '5 part serious' mean?
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008   #10
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Hate to rain on anyones parade but how does a guy who cant crack the starting rotation of the worst defense in the league supposed to help us?
I think the switch from a 3-4 D to our 4-3 D could really help the kid.

On the plus side he is durable depth at the worst...if we even sign him.
Old 03-13-2008   #11
Wolf
100% Texan

Quote:
I am hoping he is at least a better version than Danny clark

for me, we still need holes filled for we still need a draft or two (good ones) so I am hoping if he were to sign he can fill a spot or two and he can play ST
Old 03-13-2008   #12
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34423 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
Good question.
Old 03-13-2008   #13
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Good question.
Will Demps could not even make an NFL roster last year.
Kevin Walter was the 4th WR with the Bengals.
Andre Davis could not contribute with the Browns or Bills two horrible offenses.
Sage Rosenfels was not a regualr starter with Miami.

I could probably go on.

The job of a GM and scouting department is to locate players that have some chance to be better here than they were somewhere else. Does it work every time? Of course not. As long as the team is not overpaying for the "risk" of this type of player the Texans are welcome to sign as many as responsible salary cap management will allow.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008   #14
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 51315 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Andre Davis could not contribute with the Browns or Bills two horrible offenses.

I could probably go on.

The job of a GM and scouting department is to locate players that have some chance to be better here than they were somewhere else. Does it work every time? Of course not. As long as the team is not overpaying for the "risk" of this type of player the Texans are welcome to sign as many as responsible salary cap management will allow.
Will Demps was IR'd and was playing for the Giants.
Kevin Walter was playing behind Chad, TJ, and Chris Henry
Andre Davis until last year was injury prone and could not stay healthy
Rosenfels was playing against the ghost of Moreno. No QB that has gone there has had any type of success since.

I am not trying to be negative but we are looking for upgrades and I just dont see how a guy who cant beat out guys who wouldnt have been able to start for our team, come in and help us out.

Old 03-13-2008   #15
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Rosenfels was playing against the ghost of Moreno. No QB that has gone there has had any type of success since.

I am not trying to be negative but we are looking for upgrades and I just dont see how a guy who cant beat out guys who wouldnt have been able to start for our team, come in and help us out.
So who is the the Texans 5th LB right now?
Old 03-13-2008   #16
Wolf
100% Texan

Quote:

I think we are doing like last year, not overspending and building depth.. Drafting is the key here, we have to get our "Studs" through the draft
Old 03-13-2008   #17
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Quote:
So who is the the Texans 5th LB right now?
You will get no argument from me that we need one, I just don't see how this particular guy can help our team win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf
I think we are doing like last year, not overspending and building depth.. Drafting is the key here, we have to get our "Studs" through the draft
I would not be the least bit surprised to see the Texans draft a LB with our first pick.

Old 03-13-2008   #18
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 199937 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Looks like Thompson is soon-to-be off the table:

Quote:
Thursday, March 13, 2008
Tony Grossi
Plain Dealer Reporter

Nearly tapped out in free-agency spending without having added any linebackers, the Browns are focusing on re-signing Chaun Thompson.

They have been negotiating to bring back the defensive role player and special teams contributor, and hope to have a two-year deal done today. Thompson, a second-round draft choice of the Browns in 2003, has not visited any other teams.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008   #19
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34423 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:

I could probably go on.

If any one can work with him and make him better it's Gary K.
Old 03-13-2008   #20
ArlingtonTexan

Quote:
You will get no argument from me that we need one, I just don't see how this particular guy can help our team win.

I would not be the least bit surprised to see the Texans draft a LB with our first pick.
The good news is that we fans don't have to see it. While you tried to spin them, those moves they were either not thought of or thought of negatively at the time they occurred by the general fanbase. All of those guys helped us become better than we were. Upgrading player number 42 just does seem like much in March. We will have to see in October.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read