Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Going toward the draft--depth chart

Wolf

100% Texan
this is just going off of ESPN (nfl.com was way outdated) and we know the depth chart is not set, but this was the websites list and i added from transactions

This is just to give someone an idea of what we look like before the draft. and anybody want to add to it, feel free

POS STARTER 2nd 3rd 4th
WR Andre Johnson Andre Davis Harry Williams.
TE Owen Daniels Joel Dreessen Mark Bruenner
LT Ephraim Salaam..Jordan Black..Charles Spencer
LG Chester Pitts Kasey Studdard Scott Jackson
C Steve McKinney Chris White Chukky Okobi greg Eslinger
RG Michael Brisiel Brandon Frye Dan Stevenson
RT Eric Winston Rashad Butler
WR Kevin Walter Jacoby Jones David Anderson
QB Matt Schaub Sage Rosenfels Shane Boyd
FB Vonta Leach Jameel Cook
RB Ahman Green Darius Walker chris brown Arliss Beach

Base 4-3 D
POS STARTER 2nd 3rd 4th
LDE Anthony Weaver Earl Cochran Eric Powell
LDT Travis Johnson Anthony Maddox Tim Bulman
RDT Amobi Okoye Jeff Zgonina DelJuan Robinson
RDE Mario Williams
WLB Morlon Greenwood Kevis Coley
MLB DeMeco Ryans Zac Diles
SLB Kevin Bentley chaun thompson
CB Jacques Reeves Derrick Roberson Curome Cox
SS Will Demps Brandon Harrison
FS C.C. Brown Curome Cox Brandon Mitchell Glenn earl
CB Fred Bennett DeMarcus Faggins Jamar Fletcher Derrick Johnson

PK Kris Brown
P Matt Turk
H Matt Turk
PR Jacoby Jones
KR Andre Davis
LS Bryan Pittman

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/teams/depth?team=hou&formationId=18

transactions so far
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/teams/transactions?team=hou

Matt turk as holder /punter wasn't on the ESPN but on Texan website
http://www.houstontexans.com/team/depthchart.html

IR
CB Dunta Robinson(IR)

this is just going off of ESPN (nfl.com was way outdated) and we know the depth chart is not set, but this was the websites list and i added from transactions

This is just to give someone an idea of what we look like before the draft. and anybody want to add to it, feel free

POS STARTER 2nd 3rd 4th
C Steve McKinney Chris White

Base 4-3 D
POS STARTER 2nd 3rd 4th
RDE Mario Williams
SLB Kevin Bentley Charlie Anderson
SS C.C. Brown Brandon Harrison
FS Curome Cox Brandon Mitchell Glenn earl

PK Kris Brown
P Matt Turk
H Matt Turk
PR Jacoby Jones
KR Andre Davis
LS Bryan Pittman

transactions so far

IR
CB Dunta Robinson(IR)

will demps is the free safety last i heard:elle:

nice, I edited on that one, i was trying to balance between ESPN and Texans website, but things are so crazy now, got to be hard to update

Dunta is not on IR, if a player is put on IR, he is forced to stay out for the season, IIRC. Where's Chris Taylor?

Won't Dunta be placed on the PUP list?
The decision on whether to place Robinson on IR or PUP will come just prior to the season. The Texans should know a lot more about Dunta's progress in rehab by then.

I think eventually Jacoby will beat out walter. Not sure if either of them will be ahead of Davis
Walter was ahead of Davis when AJ returned from injury. Don't know why that would change. The Texans really like Walter as a blocker from the WR spot.

i like the offense, still worried about he D

Little light @t the S@m @nd OLT @ren't we ?

The decision on whether to place Robinson on IR or PUP will come just prior to the season. The Texans should know a lot more about Dunta's progress in rehab by then.

No the deidsion is do they redo the de@l now or then ? @re they going to let him hit the mr@ket in '09 ? Or @re they going to g@mble on the 60 to eighty million doll@r contr@ct next ye@r ?

Little light @t the S@m @nd OLT @ren't we ?

Diles, Bently and Thompson are going to compete for SLB.

No the deidsion is do they redo the de@l now or then ? @re they going to let him hit the mr@ket in '09 ? Or @re they going to g@mble on the 60 to eighty million doll@r contr@ct next ye@r ?

Not a chance a deal gets done til he has made it back on the field. The Texans can't gamble that kind of money and Dunta won't want to take a lowball. Dunta isn't going to command that kind of money anyway.

I think eventually Jacoby will beat out walter. Not sure if either of them will be ahead of Davis

You were wrong l@st ye@r @nd you will be just @s wrong this ye@r. The first thing he J.J. h@s to prove is th@t @ tough hit will not let him get out of his g@me. The hunter Smith hit wrecked the guys se@son l@st ye@r. He w@sn't @nd you don't know for @ f@ct he will be...the s@me pl@yer he w@s before th@t hit. No one knows.

Diles, Bently and Thompson are going to compete for SLB.

Not a chance a deal gets done til he has made it back on the field. The Texans can't gamble that kind of money and Dunta won't want to take a lowball. Dunta isn't going to command that kind of money anyway.

So wh@t is the c@p hit if they rele@se him June 1st?

we do this every year guys, the DC is never right till like the 2nd preseason game. speculating is fun , but ignore the DC till preseason or you will go crazy hehe

POS STARTER 2nd 3rd 4th
C Steve McKinney Chris White Chukky Okobi greg Eslinger
RB Ahman Green Darius Walker chris brown Arliss Beach chris taylor

Base 4-3 D
POS STARTER 2nd 3rd 4th
RDE Mario Williams

PK Kris Brown
P Matt Turk
H Matt Turk
PR Jacoby Jones
KR Andre Davis
LS Bryan Pittman

transactions so far

IR
CB Dunta Robinson(IR)(or will be gone for most of the season

updated as far as I can tell

You were wrong l@st ye@r @nd you will be just @s wrong this ye@r. The first thing he J.J. h@s to prove is th@t @ tough hit will not let him get out of his g@me. The hunter Smith hit wrecked the guys se@son l@st ye@r. He w@sn't @nd you don't know for @ f@ct he will be...the s@me pl@yer he w@s before th@t hit. No one knows.

Is there a reason for all of the "@'s" in your posts? It's pretty annoying.

POS STARTER 2nd 3rd 4th
WR Andre Johnson Andre Davis Harry Williams LeRon McCoy
C Chris myers Steve McKinney Chris White Chukky Okobi greg Eslinger
QB Matt Schaub Sage Rosenfels Shane Boyd Quinn Gray
FB Vonta Leach Jameel Cook john Abate (I think we were using him as a fB)

Base 4-3 D
POS STARTER 2nd 3rd 4th
RDE Mario Williams N.D. Kalu

PK Kris Brown
P Matt Turk
H Matt Turk
PR Jacoby Jones
KR Andre Davis
LS Bryan Pittman

transactions so far

IR
CB Dunta Robinson(IR) (putting him here becase not sure when he will back and don't trust the reports we get from the Texans)

updated

he is hidden among the 5 centers that we are showing (mckinney probably going back to guard but going by espn's depth chart

Based on numbers alone, expect to see at least 2 and possibly 3 new linebacker names on that roster before OTAs. One will probably be a draft choice, maybe not until the 4th round but there will be one LB taken. The Texans are a Demeco injury away from something I don't want to see.

OL, CB, RB, LB top 4 picks, not necessarily in that order.

POS STARTER 2nd 3rd 4th
WR Andre Johnson / Andre Davis / Harry Williams / LeRon McCoy
TE Owen Daniels / Joel Dreessen /Mark Bruenner
LT Ephraim Salaam. /.Jordan Black. ./Charles Spencer
LG Chester Pitts /Kasey Studdard /Scott Jackson
C Chris myers /Chris White / Chukky Okobi /greg Eslinger
RG Michael Brisiel /Brandon Frye /Dan Stevenson
RT Eric Winston / Rashad Butler
WR Kevin Walter /Jacoby Jones /David Anderson
QB Matt Schaub /Sage Rosenfels / Shane Boyd /Quinn Gray
FB Vonta Leach /Jameel Cook /john Abate (I think we were using him as a fB)
RB Ahman Green / Darius Walker /chris brown / Arliss Beach

Base 4-3 D
POS STARTER 2nd 3rd 4th
LDE Anthony Weaver / Earl Cochran /Eric Powell
LDT Travis Johnson / Anthony Maddox /Tim Bulman
RDT Amobi Okoye /Jeff Zgonina /DelJuan Robinson
RDE Mario Williams /N.D. Kalu
WLB Morlon Greenwood / Kevis Coley
MLB DeMeco Ryans /Zac Diles
SLB Kevin Bentley /chaun thompson
CB Jacques Reeves /Derrick Roberson
SS Will Demps /Brandon Harrison / Nick Ferguson
FS C.C. Brown /Curome Cox /Brandon Mitchell / Glenn earl
CB Fred Bennett / DeMarcus Faggins /Jamar Fletcher / Derrick Johnson

PK Kris Brown
P Matt Turk
H Matt Turk
PR Jacoby Jones
KR Andre Davis
LS Bryan Pittman

transactions so far

IR
CB Dunta Robinson(IR) (putting him here becase not sure when he will back and don't trust the reports we get from the Texans)

Added Ferguson and took off McKinney

at this point some positions are probably wrong still. I am just adding to slots and of course depth chart on original website won't mean squat for a long long time from espn or texans site

Added Ferguson and took off McKinney

at this point some positions are probably wrong still. I am just adding to slots and of course depth chart on original website won't mean squat for a long long time from espn or texans site

You've got Curome Cox under both CB and Safety. I thought he was just a safety.

And is Frye a Guard or a Tackle?

Just wanted to note we have 71 players under contract. With the TC roster limit set at 80 this year, after our draft picks, we'll have only 4 spots to sign UDFA's or street free agents.

I think I read that the owners are going to re-visit the 80 man roster limit at the May meeting. No NFLE exemptions this year. CBA politics swirling. Hard to read whether there's going to be support to expand this number or just go with 80 and save a few bucks - because the league is so far in debt <rolls eyes thingy>

I think I read that the owners are going to re-visit the 80 man roster limit at the May meeting. No NFLE exemptions this year. CBA politics swirling. Hard to read whether there's going to be support to expand this number or just go with 80 and save a few bucks - because the league is so far in debt <rolls eyes thingy>
I believe I saw 86 as a number here for the rosters.

I'm no economics major but this all really doesn't make much sense to me to be honest with you. I just want my game ticket to pay for 53 (however much is supposed to be on our roster). Paying these other guys to practice seems silly to me. Real silly. Sure, I get the practice squad thing but to sign a player to a million dollar contract only to cut him to get the team under the roster seems freakishly and outlandish. All that really is doing is getting money out to the lawyers and arbritators just to draft up some contract that'll be out the door.

Expand the practice squad is the answer to me. Not expanding the overall roster only to be forced to cut it down as the season approaches. 53 man roster at all times and a 35 (or whatever) man practice squad. Seems simple but I'm sure you can debunk that and give me a nice explaination as to why things are the way things are.

Anyone is welcome to jump in if you've got insight. I have none. I'm just talking out of my arse and was puzzled as to why the owners would want to expand rosters because that only seems like it'd cost ticketholders more money. I'm NOT a season ticket holder but I do go to every game that I can (which isn't much YET). Seems to me that season ticket holders would have a beef with this expansion thing.

I believe I saw 86 as a number here for the rosters.

I'm no economics major but this all really doesn't make much sense to me to be honest with you. I just want my game ticket to pay for 53 (however much is supposed to be on our roster). Paying these other guys to practice seems silly to me. Real silly. Sure, I get the practice squad thing but to sign a player to a million dollar contract only to cut him to get the team under the roster seems freakishly and outlandish. All that really is doing is getting money out to the lawyers and arbritators just to draft up some contract that'll be out the door.

Expand the practice squad is the answer to me. Not expanding the overall roster only to be forced to cut it down as the season approaches. 53 man roster at all times and a 35 (or whatever) man practice squad. Seems simple but I'm sure you can debunk that and give me a nice explaination as to why things are the way things are.

Anyone is welcome to jump in if you've got insight. I have none. I'm just talking out of my arse and was puzzled as to why the owners would want to expand rosters because that only seems like it'd cost ticketholders more money. I'm NOT a season ticket holder but I do go to every game that I can (which isn't much YET). Seems to me that season ticket holders would have a beef with this expansion thing.

IMO, the owners are just setting up a bargaining chip to use the next labor agreement. In terms of money, most of the guys beyond the 53 man limit are some version of street free agent who get a fairly small signing bonus and no guaranteed salary unless they make the final 53 man roster. Practice squad players "only" make somewhere around 85,000 versus a minimium of around 275,000. During training camp the guys get around $1,000 per week which, considering pre-season games are pretty much forced on the season ticket holder, I am betting the owners are not losing much by having even up to 125 guys during training camp.

On your notion of having as large pratice squad, honestly considering teams now effectively will only cut around 20 players (53 rostered and 8 practice squad, not counting the guys who go on IR), and there is no version of minor league professional football having a bunch of guys who make a relative samll amount makes a ton of sense to me.

Originally Posted by Wolf View Post

POS STARTER 2nd 3rd 4th
LT Ephraim Salaam. /.Jordan Black. ./Charles Spencer/Duane Brown(r)
WR Kevin Walter /Jacoby Jones /David Anderson/Ryan Grice-Mullen(r-udf)
QB Matt Schaub /Sage Rosenfels / Shane Boyd /Quinn Gray/Alex Brink (r)
RB Ahman Green / Darius Walker /chris brown / Arliss Beach/Steve Slaton (r)

Base 4-3 D
POS STARTER 2nd 3rd 4th
LDT Travis Johnson / Anthony Maddox /Tim Bulman/Frank Okam (r)
WLB Morlon Greenwood / Kevis Coley/ Xavier Adibi (r)
MLB DeMeco Ryans /Zac Diles/Ben Moffitt(r-udf)
CB Jacques Reeves /Derrick Roberson/ Antwaun Molden (r)
SS Will Demps /Brandon Harrison / Nick Ferguson/ Dominique Barber (r)

PK Kris Brown
P Matt Turk
H Matt Turk
PR Jacoby Jones
KR Andre Davis
LS Bryan Pittman

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/teams/...formationId=18

transactions so far
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/teams/...tions?team=hou

IR
CB Dunta Robinson(IR) (putting him here because not sure when he will back and don't trust the reports we get from the Texans)

added the rookies and so far 2 udf
positions may be off (aka SS or FS)

Another article about roster limits:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/don_banks/05/09/roster.size/?eref=sircrc

On another note:
Gary Kubiak said:
(on if LB Zac Diles is getting the first crack to start at strong side linebacker) “Yes, he is. You know, there’s a lot of guys in there competing, with (Kevin) Bentley and Zac (Diles) and of course (Xavier) Adibi and (Chaun) Thompson, but Zac’s lining up with the first group right now. He needs the reps. We’ll see how he does.
Does this mean Adibi's going to be tried at SLB? I fully expected him to compete with Greenwood, as Wolf has him listed.

Does this mean Adibi's going to be tried at SLB? I fully expected him to compete with Greenwood, as Wolf has him listed.

There is an article at HT.com about Ryans and Greenwood being pillars of the LBs and how the competition is for the third spot. Adibi is fighting with Diles, not with Greenwood.

Originally Posted by Wolf View Post

POS STARTER 2nd 3rd 4th
LT Ephraim Salaam. /.Jordan Black. ./Charles Spencer/Duane Brown(r)
WR Kevin Walter /Jacoby Jones /David Anderson/Ryan Grice-Mullen(r-udf)
QB Matt Schaub /Sage Rosenfels / Shane Boyd /Quinn Gray/Alex Brink (r)
RB Ahman Green / Darius Walker /chris brown / Arliss Beach/Steve Slaton (r)

Base 4-3 D
POS STARTER 2nd 3rd 4th
LDT Travis Johnson / Anthony Maddox /Tim Bulman/Frank Okam (r)
WLB Morlon Greenwood / Kevis Coley/ Xavier Adibi (r)
MLB DeMeco Ryans /Zac Diles/Ben Moffitt(r-udf)
CB Jacques Reeves /Derrick Roberson/ Antwaun Molden (r)
SS Will Demps /Brandon Harrison / Nick Ferguson/ Dominique Barber (r)

PK Kris Brown
P Matt Turk
H Matt Turk
PR Jacoby Jones
KR Andre Davis
LS Bryan Pittman

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/teams/...formationId=18

transactions so far
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/teams/...tions?team=hou

IR
CB Dunta Robinson(IR) (putting him here because not sure when he will back and don't trust the reports we get from the Texans)

added the rookies and so far 2 udf
positions may be off (aka SS or FS)

If you're listing all the players, you should add Darnell Jenkins, Fred Weary and Chris Taylor to the offense, and Jesse Nading, Gabe Long and Marcus Richardson to the defense. PUP would probably be a better designation for Dunta if you want to account for his injury status.

Back