Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Which RB do you want as our starter this year
Shaun Alexander 6 7.32%
Chris Brown 12 14.63%
Ahman Green 10 12.20%
Chris Taylor 18 21.95%
Darius Walker 4 4.88%
Kevin Jones 4 4.88%
A Rookie 23 28.05%
Other 5 6.10%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-13-2008   #21
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7106 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Which RB would you like to see in Battle Red next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattieuk View Post
I can't seem to find the Dayne train on the list...
its the posts like this that get me through the offseason, lol a hundred times
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008   #22
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 156181 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Why is everyone so down on Dayne? At least he stayed healthy and produced while everyone else was falling down with injuries.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008   #23
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 224914 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Why is everyone so down on Dayne? At least he stayed healthy and produced while everyone else was falling down with injuries.
Because he is slow and is only productive when the line gives him three yards to get up to speed. If they give him that, he is a load to bring down but if he doesn't get it he goes down at first contact. His late season success is largely a product of the OL getting their run blocking together. He also can't run to the outside. Open the same holes for a RB with some burst and you will see a much more dynamic rushing attack--ex. look at how the purely mediocre Walker looked hitting the same holes.
Old 03-13-2008   #24
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 156181 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Because he is slow and is only productive when the line gives him three yards to get up to speed. If they give him that, he is a load to bring down but if he doesn't get it he goes down at first contact. His late season success is largely a product of the OL getting their run blocking together. He also can't run to the outside.
Granted. But still, I'll miss jumping off the couch and yelling "The Dayne Train!" LOL

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008   #25
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7106 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

i dont understand all the mendenhall hype, we need to spend our 1st rd pick on a defensive starter, the offense was fine minus the turnovers, we are a pass happy offense, we pass first, we need to stop teams from scoring after our "O" turns the ball over. mendenhall had one good game against usc, that's it. he doesn't have the body of work that peterson did or mcfadden. he also played with a mobile qb in a spread offense. that makes it easy, especially in the big ten. dude didnt run wild in the SEC nor did he carry his team to victories while 8 men were in the box. that rose bowl game was an absolute mismatch and usc waited for the game to end. it's kinda like when chris taylor had a nice game against cleveland in a meaningless season finale.
Old 03-13-2008   #26
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Because he is slow and is only productive when the line gives him three yards to get up to speed. If they give him that, he is a load to bring down but if he doesn't get it he goes down at first contact. His late season success is largely a product of the OL getting their run blocking together. He also can't run to the outside.
Dayne is like your old car ... it's not real efficeint but it still runs .

I think you cut him and he'll be there if you need him .
Old 03-13-2008   #27
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd personally prefer us to get our Offensive line fixed and working great BEFORE spending high $$ or high draft picks on a runningback. I would love to spend high draft picks (even though guru Gibbs is here) on the OL and get it being one of the best in the league, and THEN we would be able to have a backfield full of Taylors, Walkers, and 2nd day rookies- all cheap cheap cheap.

Anybody know the $ figures on the Brown deal?
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-13-2008   #28
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Dayne is like your old car ... it's not real efficeint but it still runs .

I think you cut him and he'll be there if you need him .
dayne will find a job for a small contract, he'll never live up to the heisman but is a more than capable back, he is what he his, you gotta appreciate what he did during his time in houston
Old 03-13-2008   #29
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Some people think Mendenhall will transition into the NFL better than McFadden will. I see Mendenhall and am a lot more excited at an overall Runningback. Sure McFadden did EXTREMELY well in college and in a super tough conference but I'm not in the least bit excited about spending a top 5 pick on him at all. There would be absolutely no way I'd do it unless I had a team that was fully built on both offense and defense and I needed a superb complimentary back like a Reggie Bushish type player and I had a healthy starting running back (pounder/grinder- like a Maurice Jones-Drew).

But again I'm one of the people who see McFadden as a closer comparison to a larger Reggie Bush than I do to an Adrian Peterson. I'm a person that values an Adrian Peterson type of back more than a Reggie Bush type. But at the end of the day McFadden should find his place in the NFL and be successful- at least I hope so, because he's just too talented.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008   #30
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

i just dont see it with mendenhall, his presence doesn't make us a better team, if green and brown are healthy then he doesn't see the field, i guess he can thrive in the right system like bush (excuse), peterson played in a pro style "o" and even when he was all OU had he still thrived, do people really think that mendenhall will have a year in houston like peterson had in minnesota? if he does then i'll admit to being wrong but i don't see anything special about him
Old 03-13-2008   #31
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 114151 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
i just dont see it with mendenhall, his presence doesn't make us a better team, if green and brown are healthy then he doesn't see the field, i guess he can thrive in the right system like bush (excuse), peterson played in a pro style "o" and even when he was all OU had he still thrived, do people really think that mendenhall will have a year in houston like peterson had in minnesota? if he does then i'll admit to being wrong but i don't see anything special about him
That's an interesting thought given that Kubiak is somewhat hesitant about starting rookie RBs in his offense after having been let down by Wali Lundy. Remember how long it took Taylor and Walker to get significant P.T.?

I wonder if Smithiak are (is?) betting that neither Mendenhall nor Stewart nor McFadden will still be around by the #18 pick and are protecting themselves.
Old 03-13-2008   #32
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
this isn't going to well considering I just heard the Texans have signed Chris Brown & nobody (yet) has selected your newest Houston Texan
Source?
Old 03-13-2008   #33
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1664 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Source?
The Chronicle

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008   #34
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 54416 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

I voted for Ahman Green because if he's healthy I imagine he starts. If he doesn't take that helmet to the knee last year, I don't even think we have this conversation.

I think a more interesting poll would be who we thought would be the starting RB for the last game of the season.
Old 03-13-2008   #35
frequentfliertx
Rookie

Rep Power: 11 frequentfliertx is on the Pro-Bowl ballotfrequentfliertx is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Smile Re: Which RB would you like to see in Battle Red next year?

I chose "Other". LOL
frequentfliertx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008   #36
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Source?
hours ago on 1560 am

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008   #37
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 21318 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

I've come to the conclussion that Sage Rosenfels and Chris Taylor are the 2 most beloved Texans in history.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008   #38
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 54416 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
I've come to the conclussion that Sage Rosenfels and Chris Taylor are the 2 most beloved Texans in history.
Hey, Chris Taylor's career stats as a Texan are LEGENDARY I tells ya.
Old 03-14-2008   #39
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Dont even get me started on Chris Taylor. Could he be great? Maybe. But to annoint him the starter after 1 game against cleveland a year ago is almost silly
Old 03-14-2008   #40
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
ain't that the truth

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read