Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-19-2008   #161
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Myers Traded and Signed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55Olinesdad View Post
Chris is excited about playing with Eric again. They are very close friends and they often meet up back in Miami when offseason. Eric even came to my daughters wedding last year he has been a close friend of all of us since he started at the U of Miami. We are very happy that Eric is there already and can give Chris information on Houston so his move from Denver is hopefully not too overwhelming for him.
Thanks for sharing, good to hear.
Old 03-19-2008   #162
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 110481 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Chris is excited about playing with Eric again. They are very close friends and they often meet up back in Miami when offseason. Eric even came to my daughters wedding last year he has been a close friend of all of us since he started at the U of Miami. We are very happy that Eric is there already and can give Chris information on Houston so his move from Denver is hopefully not too overwhelming for him.

Welcome . Great to have you here .

Thats great to hear . Team chemistry , especially on the O-Line can go a long way into making a squad special . Now Caveman has a buddy to help wreck shop on some of those Tacks , and Colts D-Lines .

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008   #163
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 160 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

He is on/going to be on 610 this morning sometime before 10, could be on now but Im in class....

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008   #164
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I watched the Denver game again last night focusing on Myers as well as out Oline. IMO, y'all are going to like him. It was odd seeing the Center actually getting to the second level and making his block. Something we haven't been accustom to with Flabbygan and McKinney. He was able to get to the LB's with ease, taking Greenwood out of the play on multiple occasions. On one play the run was to Greenwood's side and Myers still pushed him out of the play, wtf. D-Ryans would already be running the RB down, so never saw him get caught up.

Most of the game he was mainly chipping then hitting the second level. I did get to see a few 1 on 1's and only counted 3 occasions where he was beat. 2 run plays and 1 pass. The 1st run play it looked as if Zgonina caught him off balance and made the tackle for a couple yard loss. The second run was by Zgonina too, but more times than not Myers beat him. On the pass play TJ just beat him and forced Cutler to get rid of the ball, which IIRC was completed.

Overall, I'd say their guards and center won the battle against our DT's. Okoye did pretty good at times, but TJ didn't fair too well. Cochran even played some DT towards the end of the game. I suppose it was for passing situations. Mario had his way with whoever was across from him. A split second longer and he'd have a few more sacks.

I gave up watching Flabbygan after the first half. I'd expect him to retire because he was a step or two behind the entire time. He has to hold in order to win a block.

Fellow MBer's, compared to what we've had in the past, this guy's a steal. I expect McKinney will restructure his contract for a backup because he IS NOT going to beat this guy out.

Oh Yeah....it's a pleasure to have you here Mr. Myers and hopefully you can keep us updated on the team throughout.

Old 03-19-2008   #165
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Let me join the long list of other fans to say "Welcome" !
I've lived and worked in Denver 2 different times over the years and its one of
my favorite cities, so I can understand the affection and loyalty you and your son developed for the city and its fans/people. And it is a great sports city still owned by the Broncos I would imagine ? Its now been about 10 years since I lived there.
But we've got a good group here in Houston and this Board in particular has some very intense, knowledgilbe fans. You've come to the right place.
That's pretty neat to hear that Winston is so close to your son and also being an OLineman makes their bond even stronger I'd think. With Butler
also being from Miami we are liable to end up with a starting OLine with
no less than 3 guys from the U.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008   #166
Lucky

Rep Power: 213963 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I expect McKinney will restructure his contract for a backup because he IS NOT going to beat this guy out.
McKinney restructured last offseason, and is due to make "only" $1.35 mil in '08 salary. That's not a lot in this era, and McKinney's versatility makes him worth to keep around. If he's healthy.

I've never been a big McKinney fan, so this wasn't easy for me to type.
Old 03-19-2008   #167
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 195710 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Mr. Myers, welcome to you and your son. Houston fans are pretty rabid as we seem to have an under dog role with the national press in all sports. If your son decides to move into the Clear Lake area (near the space center) I'll give him a ride on 1 BAD BOY 26 foot tunnel boat (cat). We want to keep our players happy. He does have to enjoy speed. Guess I could give him a ride even if he does not become a neighbor. Steve
Old 03-19-2008   #168
55Olinesdad
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 55Olinesdad was voted MVP55Olinesdad was voted MVP55Olinesdad was voted MVP55Olinesdad was voted MVP

Quote:
I watched the Denver game again last night focusing on Myers as well as out Oline. IMO, y'all are going to like him. It was odd seeing the Center actually getting to the second level and making his block. Something we haven't been accustom to with Flabbygan and McKinney. He was able to get to the LB's with ease, taking Greenwood out of the play on multiple occasions. On one play the run was to Greenwood's side and Myers still pushed him out of the play, wtf. D-Ryans would already be running the RB down, so never saw him get caught up.

Most of the game he was mainly chipping then hitting the second level. I did get to see a few 1 on 1's and only counted 3 occasions where he was beat. 2 run plays and 1 pass. The 1st run play it looked as if Zgonina caught him off balance and made the tackle for a couple yard loss. The second run was by Zgonina too, but more times than not Myers beat him. On the pass play TJ just beat him and forced Cutler to get rid of the ball, which IIRC was completed.

Overall, I'd say their guards and center won the battle against our DT's. Okoye did pretty good at times, but TJ didn't fair too well. Cochran even played some DT towards the end of the game. I suppose it was for passing situations. Mario had his way with whoever was across from him. A split second longer and he'd have a few more sacks.

I gave up watching Flabbygan after the first half. I'd expect him to retire because he was a step or two behind the entire time. He has to hold in order to win a block.

Fellow MBer's, compared to what we've had in the past, this guy's a steal. I expect McKinney will restructure his contract for a backup because he IS NOT going to beat this guy out.

Oh Yeah....it's a pleasure to have you here Mr. Myers and hopefully you can keep us updated on the team throughout.

Thanks HOU-TEX,

Chris has only played 11 games at center in the NFL so each game he will learn more. Your comments are pretty much dead on from what I recall of the game. I have watched it a few times. Just like any other linemen, Chris will get beat at times and thats not unusual in this league. Its the consistency and intensity of his play that matters in my view. He can only get better and better with Gibbs coaching him. I AM VERY VERY EXCITED about that. You have no idea.
55Olinesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008   #169
55Olinesdad
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 55Olinesdad was voted MVP55Olinesdad was voted MVP55Olinesdad was voted MVP55Olinesdad was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Mr. Myers, welcome to you and your son. Houston fans are pretty rabid as we seem to have an under dog role with the national press in all sports. If your son decides to move into the Clear Lake area (near the space center) I'll give him a ride on 1 BAD BOY 26 foot tunnel boat (cat). We want to keep our players happy. He does have to enjoy speed. Guess I could give him a ride even if he does not become a neighbor. Steve

LOL thanks badboy,

I will let him know. He has no clue what area he will reside yet. He has only been there for the visit and when he comes back out for workouts at the end of the month he will get with Eric and I am sure look around for a place.
Old 03-19-2008   #170
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 295319 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Thanks HOU-TEX,

Chris has only played 11 games at center in the NFL so each game he will learn more. Your comments are pretty much dead on from what I recall of the game. I have watched it a few times. Just like any other linemen, Chris will get beat at times and thats not unusual in this league. Its the consistency and intensity of his play that matters in my view. He can only get better and better with Gibbs coaching him. I AM VERY VERY EXCITED about that. You have no idea.
So are we. So are we.

Old 03-19-2008   #171
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Thanks HOU-TEX,

No problem. The off-season is tough, so recorded games come in handy. The signing of Chris just gave me a reason to watch that game again.

Chris' foot speed was the thing that impressed me most. Not only to the second level, but along the line as well. He was able to swing off a double team back to the middle to pick Mario up off a stunt twice that I noticed.

I agree with you about Gibbs. I can't wait to see him in action during camp.

Old 03-19-2008   #172
55Olinesdad
Rookie

Quote:
No problem. The off-season is tough, so recorded games come in handy. The signing of Chris just gave me a reason to watch that game again.

Chris' foot speed was the thing that impressed me most. Not only to the second level, but along the line as well. He was able to swing off a double team back to the middle to pick Mario up off a stunt twice that I noticed.

I agree with you about Gibbs. I can't wait to see him in action during camp.

What many people may not know about Chris's speed........

At the U of Miami he was the main downfield blocker for Willis MacGahee and also Frank Gore. Willis gave Chris a large credit just before the National Championship game against Ohio State in the Fiesta Bowl. The following is cut and pasted from that article....

Crediting Myers: Somebody asked McGahee what memories he'll take away from this season. The seven school records he eclipsed? His six-touchdown performance against Virginia Tech? His 68-yard catch and carry on the screen play that set up the Hurricanes' winning score against Florida State? Nah.
"Chris Myers," McGahee said, grinning.
Why the Hurricanes' right guard? "He's the only one that keeps blocking for me 20 yards down the field," McGahee said

I tell you what as a dad........you can't ask for anything better then to read that the morning of a National Championship game. I am very blessed.
Old 03-19-2008   #173
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 195710 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What many people may not know about Chris's speed........

At the U of Miami he was the main downfield blocker for Willis MacGahee and also Frank Gore. Willis gave Chris a large credit just before the National Championship game against Ohio State in the Fiesta Bowl. The following is cut and pasted from that article....

Crediting Myers: Somebody asked McGahee what memories he'll take away from this season. The seven school records he eclipsed? His six-touchdown performance against Virginia Tech? His 68-yard catch and carry on the screen play that set up the Hurricanes' winning score against Florida State? Nah.
"Chris Myers," McGahee said, grinning.
Why the Hurricanes' right guard? "He's the only one that keeps blocking for me 20 yards down the field," McGahee said

I tell you what as a dad........you can't ask for anything better then to read that the morning of a National Championship game. I am very blessed.
Many athletes' parents have an athletic back ground. Do you? Also on the move to Texas, many players choose the Woodlands or Sugar Land outskirts of Houston. Clear Lake area has many "bedroom" communities encircling Clear Lake that empties into Galveston Bay. Beautiful homes in his price range (ahem) excellent schools, malls/shopping and is locate 1/2 between Houston and Galveston. If he likes the water as I do, he will love the area. Oh BTW I am not a realtor or with the Chamber of Commerce just a long time resident of water front living.
Old 03-19-2008   #174
55Olinesdad
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Many athletes' parents have an athletic back ground. Do you? Also on the move to Texas, many players choose the Woodlands or Sugar Land outskirts of Houston. Clear Lake area has many "bedroom" communities encircling Clear Lake that empties into Galveston Bay. Beautiful homes in his price range (ahem) excellent schools, malls/shopping and is locate 1/2 between Houston and Galveston. If he likes the water as I do, he will love the area. Oh BTW I am not a realtor or with the Chamber of Commerce just a long time resident of water front living.

I started playing international rugby back in 1974 and have played as recently as last year. Its not to often the "old boys" get a game put together but we still bang out a few games when we can.

I will let Chris know about those areas I appreciate the feedback. For a month or two I think he doesn't plan to jump on a home purchase till he gets to know the area a little better. He has Eric there and also some other friends who can show him around for a while.
Old 03-19-2008   #175
Xetuoh1836
Rookie

Rep Power: 10 Xetuoh1836 is a Pro BowlerXetuoh1836 is a Pro Bowler

A hardy Texans "Howdy" to you sir! I look foward to seeing Chris contributions to the Texans! Chris will have to readjust to steamy weather like he experienced in Florida! I, for one, look foward to your "behind-the-scenes" look at what the team is up to (without the butt kicking, of course).

Do you have a link to the MaGahee article so that I might foward it to other Texan fans? That's a hell'ave compliment to your son! I can see why your so proud of your boy!

Last edited by Xetuoh1836; 03-19-2008 at 12:40 PM.
Xetuoh1836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008   #176
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 41385 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I started playing international rugby back in 1974 and have played as recently as last year. Its not to often the "old boys" get a game put together but we still bang out a few games when we can.

I will let Chris know about those areas I appreciate the feedback. For a month or two I think he doesn't plan to jump on a home purchase till he gets to know the area a little better. He has Eric there and also some other friends who can show him around for a while.
I don't know much about your son, but I will take my well educated fellow message boarder's opinions and I think he'll be a great addition to our team and city. I thank you for posting here and hopefully you'll be able to give us some inside scoops from time to time, starting in training camp. Thanks again for posting and welcome aboard.
Old 03-19-2008   #177
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Just make sure you warn Chris that the water in Galveston Bay is more like caffe mocha than it is blue windex.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008   #178
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
Just make sure you warn Chris that the water in Galveston Bay is more like caffe mocha than it is blue windex.
....and to have a bottle of urine handy because you're guarranteed to get stung by jellyfish.
Old 03-19-2008   #179
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

#55 is going to be a very popular "sold jersey"

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008   #180
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Having another C.M. in Houston wearing #55 can only be good karma. I think the time has arrived for the "Texan Cannonball."

aj. is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read