Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-18-2008   #121
sakebomb
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1859 sakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Myers Traded and Signed

Serious Question - What's up with his old man posting info on message boards? Is he the fan liaison for his son or something?
Old 03-18-2008   #122
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe he's his son's biggest fan and is excited for him?

I think it's kind of cool that family members hang out on the boards - as long as they understand the nature of message boards and to ignore the knuckleheads that they will encounter at times. Although the criticism should never be as bad for a center as it would be for say ...a QB ....

You never know who's lurking.

-----------------------------------

Bear with me, this is long but I had to share since this reminded me of it (what follows is an edited version of an email I sent to someone last fall):

I got this email from "walter foreman" at 1:48 in the morning last September 7 and it's something about 'The White Reggie Bush.' So I watch the attached video and it's some 12 year old kid wearing #5 tearing up Pop Warner.

But then I thought to myself ...walter foreman.... hmm.. I got several emails from this guy back in March '05 when I wrote an article about Jamie Sharper and Jay Foreman being released. (I wrote more about Sharper because it was the bigger surprise of the two)

I remember Walter Foreman because he came at me with guns blazing for something I said in the article about Jay.

As an aside, here is what I said (verbatim) in my March 2005 article about Jay:

"Foreman's release is not a big surprise to most fans. The low key LB spent most of the last three years flying under the radar and even though he was steady and dependable, he was not a huge playmaker -- which is a must for a linebacker in Dom Capers 3-4 defense."

'Walter' didn't like those remarks and told me I needed to go back to school to learn what the hell I was talking about and that Jay was a productive player within the construct of a 3-4. I never argued 'production.' In fact I reiterated to him that he was steady, dependable, but not a huge playmaker.

He signed his name "Chuck." He wasn't very nice. In fact, he was pretty much an a-hole.

We traded a few emails - I kept it cordial - and his parting shot was to send me a link to a football 101 website for women. (I'm not kidding. I still have all of his emails)

I never thought it was the real Chuck Foreman (Univ. of Miami/Vikings #44) even though he used an email address that made it pretty obvious. I thought it was just some guy jerking my chain. I knew Jay's dad was Chuck Foreman and I wondered 'could it really be him?'

But then I forgot about it and didn't hear from 'walter' again until early that morning last September.

Which finally leads me to my point.

For reasons I'll get into in a minute, I checked in my football encyclopedia and Chuck Foreman's real name is Walter Eugene Foreman.

Okay, so it was him and he was pissed that I made a negative comment (one) about his son. Truth hurts I guess. (For the record Jay played in 3 NFL games for the Giants and 49ers after he was cut by the Texans - and he's now out of football). So I guess other teams didn't think that much of him either. Take that, Walter.

But for further confirmation that those original emails were from the 'real' Chuck Foreman, you needed only to take one look at some of the other email addresses (besides mine) in 'Walter's' distribution list that he shared the White Reggie Bush video with at 1:48 in the morning.

The first notable address I saw on the list is Hall of Fame defensive end #81 Carl Eller. Carl was a teammate of Chuck's back in the day.

Then I saw the name "ed." If you right click on 'ed' and check properties, I found the email address for former Cornell/Vikings RB and movie star Ed Marinaro (#49) who was Foreman's backfield mate at Minnesota back in the 70's

Then I saw Joe Greene (yeah I guess it's that Joe Greene). Joe tackled Chuck quite a few times in the first Steelers Super Bowl win. I guess they're still friends.

Then when I checked properties on "Larry" I found the email address for Miami Dolphins Hall of Fame O-Lineman Larry Little who Chuck played against in a Super Bowl at Rice Stadium as a rookie in '73.

Then I saw the email address for Marv Fleming, long time Packers and Dolphins tight end who played in that same Super Bowl. (note the Miami connection -- Chuck went to college there) --- edit: as did Winston and Myers).

Then, the most bizarre one of the bunch. Rubin Carter? Rubin (Hurricane) Carter?

I checked and he's still alive. If you're under 45 years old you will probably have to Google Rubin Carter to learn about the controversy he generated back in the day.

Anyway, I'm now convinced that Walter is really Chuck and I'm honored to be part of his personal email distribution list with an illustrious list of Hall of Famers and an ex boxer who had Bob Dylan write a song about him.

I'm sure he's not aware that aj the Texans fan is still on his fun email list. His email tool probably auto captures addresses that he uses, and in this case it may have put me in his "football" group without his knowledge. He probably still wants to kick my ass.

Do you think I should email him back and ask him how Jay's doing? ..... nah.

Last edited by aj.; 03-18-2008 at 07:45 AM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008   #123
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Good story, thanks AJ.

I agree, do not write him, keep lurking
Old 03-18-2008   #124
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texaninlild View Post
This a great move for the Texans. I have no idea why the Broncos wouldn't match the deal unless they are in cap hell and have enough depth to cover the center spot.
Even though Tom Nalen is 35 years old, the Broncos still view him as their
starting center this year after coming off of an injury from last year when
Myers filled-in for him, and reportedly filled-in reasonably well.
But the Texans obviously see him as their 2008 starting center and are willing to pay him accordingly while he's only a backup to the Broncos. Now longer-term, given Nalens age and Myers youth, the move by them is curious ? But lets be completely honest with ourselves here, maybe the Broncos think Myers is a marginal talent who has little or not upside left in the tank ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008   #125
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 99691 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Looks like Meyers' dad joined the message board. I saw the newest member listed as 62olinesdad.

If so, welcome aboard...
Old 03-18-2008   #126
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Crazy story aj.

Just for reference, there was a fantastic movie about Rubin Carter that starred Denzel Washington. I highly, highly recommend it if you aren't familiar with his story
Old 03-18-2008   #127
Hook'er
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 Hook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden cover

Awesome signing Rick!
Old 03-18-2008   #128
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Once again Rick Smith does it again.

Welcome to Houston Chris.

<shakes head> Starting C for a 6th. Why did we have to be cursed with CC when this team was founded?
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008   #129
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Even though Tom Nalen is 35 years old, the Broncos still view him as their
starting center this year after coming off of an injury from last year when
Myers filled-in for him, and reportedly filled-in reasonably well.
But the Texans obviously see him as their 2008 starting center and are willing to pay him accordingly while he's only a backup to the Broncos. Now longer-term, given Nalens age and Myers youth, the move by them is curious ? But lets be completely honest with ourselves here, maybe the Broncos think Myers is a marginal talent who has little or not upside left in the tank ?
I saw on their board that there is someone else that they were high on that was injured this year, and they think he's coming back and will win the starting C job. Sounds Charles Spencer-esque. Maybe they think with this guy stepping up and Nalen as a backup they can afford to gamble Myers for another pick. That gives them a ton of late round picks that they can package together to move up.
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008   #130
TexanAddict
Texan 'til I Die

Rep Power: 77 TexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm glad we were able to get a young, experienced center, that has a chance to start for us (at a position I believed to be a weakness) for only a 6th round pick.

I wish I had the Texans v Broncos game from last season recorded, so I could see how Myers played against our D-Line.

Edit: Here are the highlights from that game. Myers seems to hold his own and have pretty good awareness in what is shown (I know it's not enough to really form an opinion from, but it's all I've got).

Last edited by TexanAddict; 03-18-2008 at 10:20 AM.
TexanAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008   #131
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanAddict View Post
I wish I had the Texans v Broncos game from last season recorded, so I could see how Myers played against our D-Line.
If I can remember correctly, Mario/ND Kulu got all of the sacks in that game which would put the responsibility on the tackles, although the DTs did get pressure on Cutler several times which contributed to some of the sacks. I would also be interested in seeing how Myers played in that game, who he was matched up with, and how he fared against them. Particularly if he was matched up against our Amobiwan.
Old 03-18-2008   #132
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: texans trade 6th for myers

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Shadows View Post
Drew Henson, one of the better moves made by Casserly. He turned that into a 3rd round pick who I think with a move more like Casselry he wasted on P-Burnt.:I think:

Good picking up Myers btw......
Actually Drew Henson became a 3rd round pick, which we used to draft Vernand Morency, who was then traded straight up to Green Bay for Samkon Gado, who is becoming a doctor.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008   #133
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas_Texan View Post
I saw on their board that there is someone else that they were high on that was injured this year, and they think he's coming back and will win the starting C job. Sounds Charles Spencer-esque. Maybe they think with this guy stepping up and Nalen as a backup they can afford to gamble Myers for another pick. That gives them a ton of late round picks that they can package together to move up.
Or could Shanahan Sr. be sabotaging his own team to help out his son?

J/K.

Not a lot of comments about his actual play in that Broncos thread. A few "good player," a lot of "promising/potential," a "will be great," and a bunch of "quality/solid backup."
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008   #134
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas_Texan View Post
They are probably talking about Ben Hamilton. He had some serious issues/complications last year because of a concussion and was one of a few Broncos OLs to end up on the IR - giving Myers a chance to play. I want to say Hamilton and Eslinger were teammates in college - although Hamilton might be a bit older.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008   #135
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex King View Post
Or could Shanahan Sr. be sabotaging his own team to help out his son?

J/K.

Not a lot of comments about his actual play in that Broncos thread. A few "good player," a lot of "promising/potential," a "will be great," and a bunch of "quality/solid backup."
These comments in today's Denver Post may shed light on the situation:

Quote:
Although the deal appears lopsided in the Texans' favor, Bronco fans were essentially informed through Myers' departure that center Tom Nalen and left guard Ben Hamilton will be back healthy and starting for the 2008 season.

"I don't know if that's what it means, but I'm perfectly fine," Nalen said. "I've been full strength the past two months. I've been working out with Ben and he's perfectly fine."

Myers first started in place of Hamilton, who missed the entire 2007 season with a concussion, and then Nalen, who suffered torn biceps in Week 5. Now that Nalen and Hamilton are back, Myers would have gone back to the bench. And in this salary-cap era, teams cannot afford to allocate $11 million on a reserve.

"I don't want to say it's a surprise because I know the situation the Broncos are in," Myers said. "It was definitely a bittersweet situation. I live in Denver, I didn't want to leave Denver. I love it there. I love the organization and the city as a whole. But you have to look at what they have right now. Tom is coming back. Ben's coming back. They can't pay a multiyear deal to a backup because that's pretty much what I would have gone back to."

The Texans not only gave Myers financial security, but also their starting center position.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008   #136
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

I'm just wondering how well he played as a starter last season. Apparently he showed a lot of promise and potential, but if so, then why gamble on Nalen coming back to full strength and not dump him instead? Nalen's all-pro, but he probably doesn't have a lot left, particularly after having to sit out all last year. IMO, the Broncos aren't going to contend this year, so why not look to the future?
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008   #137
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex King View Post
I'm just wondering how well he played as a starter last season. Apparently he showed a lot of promise and potential, but if so, then why gamble on Nalen coming back to full strength and not dump him instead? Nalen's all-pro, but he probably doesn't have a lot left, particularly after having to sit out all last year. IMO, the Broncos aren't going to contend this year, so why not look to the future?
I suppose that the Broncos FO values that 6th round pick as much as Rick Smith and Kubes do. The only difference is, he was a backup over there... he may be a starter over here.
Old 03-18-2008   #138
55Olinesdad
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 55Olinesdad was voted MVP55Olinesdad was voted MVP55Olinesdad was voted MVP55Olinesdad was voted MVP

Hello everyone,

I want to thank everyone for their posts with well wishes and positive comments. I just found out Chris's Jersey number will be 55 for Houston so I changed my name to reflect his number. I look forward to hopefully being on this board for many years with Chris playing for Houston. We are looking forward to come to Houston for many games and hopefully meet many of you. Thanks again
55Olinesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008   #139
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55Olinesdad View Post
Hello everyone,

I want to thank everyone for their posts with well wishes and positive comments. I just found out Chris's Jersey number will be 55 for Houston so I changed my name to reflect his number. I look forward to hopefully being on this board for many years with Chris playing for Houston. We are looking forward to come to Houston for many games and hopefully meet many of you. Thanks again
Good to see you made it to this MB as well as the official one. houstonprofootball.com is the third MB around town. I think most of us agree around here that we really hope Chris comes in and solidifies the C position for years.
Old 03-18-2008   #140
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 12627 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55Olinesdad View Post
Hello everyone,

As long as you don't go to all the practices and take multiple interviews with the media you will be fine here!
Brandon420tx is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read