Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-17-2008   #101
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249442 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Myers Traded and Signed

I think that you've got McKinney coming off of an injury and you don't know how he's going to hold up next year. Also you have to wonder if he's going to get the "real" Gibbs system down right away. I'm not saying he won't necessarily but if he has trouble with it then you know he can slide over to RG or LG and let the player whose spent three years in it make the line calls. The rest of the OL will sort itself out from there.

This signing isn't a home run necessarily because Myers is going to be some kind of future Pro Bowl center or anything (not saying he couldn't develop into something great either). It's a home run for us because it gives us a head start on learning this system at a position where it's going to make a huge difference from day one having an experienced player there. You have to wonder if Pitts is going to fit into this well and if Winston will pick it up quickly. Will Spencer come back and be able to do it? Can Salaam excel in this kind of system? The guys are going to have to gel (I know how much some of you hate that word) and this will really, really help that process.

If Eslinger can play then he could end up playing Center and Myers could slide back to guard. Lots of flexibility in this move.
Old 03-17-2008   #102
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

His dad posted on the Broncos board today, and had this to say:

Quote:
Chris didn't have much choice when he was low tendered but to accept the offer from Houston. Trust me he DID NOT wish to leave Denver but it didn't make sense to stay as a back up with a low tender contract. I felt he proved himself last year and should of been offered a contract for 3 or 4 years. He would of accepted less then 11 million if he could of stayed. He loves Denver and always will.

Personally, I will truely miss coming to Denver for games we loved coming there and being part of it all.
Another poster had this to say about Myers and Coach Alex Gibbs:

Quote:
Good news for him though is that he will now be coached by the best O-Line coach in the NFL. That running game is going to explode in the next couple of years and Myers is going to be apart of a competitive team.
I laughed out loud when another poster on the Broncos said this (bolded part is what I thought was funny):

Quote:
Mile High Salute to you and your son, Mr. Myers...

I know he didn't have a choice in the matter, and I doubt many here would hold it against him for going.

I'm glad he's going to our sister team though.
Old 03-17-2008   #103
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I think that you've got McKinney coming off of an injury and you don't know how he's going to hold up next year. Also you have to wonder if he's going to get the "real" Gibbs system down right away. I'm not saying he won't necessarily but if he has trouble with it then you know he can slide over to RG or LG and let the player whose spent three years in it make the line calls. The rest of the OL will sort itself out from there.

This signing isn't a home run necessarily because Myers is going to be some kind of future Pro Bowl center or anything (not saying he couldn't develop into something great either). It's a home run for us because it gives us a head start on learning this system at a position where it's going to make a huge difference from day one having an experienced player there. You have to wonder if Pitts is going to fit into this well and if Winston will pick it up quickly. Will Spencer come back and be able to do it? Can Salaam excel in this kind of system? The guys are going to have to gel (I know how much some of you hate that word) and this will really, really help that process.

If Eslinger can play then he could end up playing Center and Myers could slide back to guard. Lots of flexibility in this move.
The other obvious benefit that we get from this move is a young experienced center. Everyone else on our roster was either on their last leg or woefully under-experienced to be considered our starter. Now we wont have to target a center in the first few rounds of the draft.. and we get a player coming in who not only has playing time under his belt, but also a good understanding of the system we run.

This move is just a homerun for the Texans.

Welcome to Houston Chris! I hear you would have preferred to stay in Denver but I promise you are going to like it here. You'll see.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008   #104
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5748 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post

I agree, I like the deal for two reasons, upgrade in talent, but I think our line just got smarter. With Myers, the learning curve just got a lot shorter. Sure, he will be ahead of the game in his position, but he should be able to help the guys to his right and left pick it up faster as well.
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008   #105
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
The deal was done as a sign and trade as a courtesy to Myers and the Texans. If it had been done by letting Denver refuse to match the offer, a certain amount of time would have to go by before it was final (not sure exactly how much).

As far as the bonus, Denver was performing a courtesy, but it didn't extend to bonus dollars either in cash or cap space. Nice thought though.
My question with that is how does a team trade a guy they don't have on their roster or did the trade his restricted rights to us which was followed by us signing the guy ourselves?

My other question is as a trade has this been signed off by the league yet?
Old 03-17-2008   #106
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Found this very impressive writeup of Myers from his Miami days. Can't figure out why the Broncos let him get away. Another terrific move by Mr. Smith.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...2BOC-Miami.htm
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008   #107
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
Found this very impressive writeup of Myers from his Miami days. Can't figure out why the Broncos let him get away. Another terrific move by Mr. Smith.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...2BOC-Miami.htm
Good find. It looks like most of his weaknesses can be coached up, but that there also might be a grain of truth to C&D's "like a stump" comment.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-18-2008   #108
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

This is a fantastic trade for us! His dad posted last week on thursday I think that the center spot will be cleared up by tomorrow. Stay tuned. I didn't realise it was Chris Myers dad at the time on the official board.

Welcome to Houston Chris and many years of good football. Your gonna love Houston and its fans. They are the best in the country hands down. Heck. You're gonna love Texas!
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008   #109
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 108211 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

why dont kubiak and smith have 10 year extensions in the works?

it's not possible to get a starting 4th year center in a 4 year contract for butt cheap who has experience in your system and fills one of your 3 or 4 biggest holes ... FOR A 6TH ROUNDER! seriously, welcome dad & young myers to the family. you've landed on a team that knows how to make your potential into reality with arguably the two top o-line coaches in football (gibbs-kubiak) and a roster that without losing anyone, have added more than 20 players to an 8-8 team because of last year's aweful injury luck, along with key FA's and we're not even to the draft yet.

be glad you got traded from houston north.

i could write for days right now, this type of signing is what teams are built on ... kubiak and/or smith WILL be receiving national awards at the end of the 09 season.
Old 03-18-2008   #110
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

This feels like the Rockets trading for Luis Scola all over again.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008   #111
JayCee
Veteran

Rep Power: 14 JayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden cover

It's nice to read the Broncos boards.

Nice to get a steal.
JayCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008   #112
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
This is a fantastic trade for us! His dad posted last week on thursday I think that the center spot will be cleared up by tomorrow. Stay tuned. I didn't realise it was Chris Myers dad at the time on the official board.

Welcome to Houston Chris and many years of good football. Your gonna love Houston and its fans. They are the best in the country hands down. Heck. You're gonna love Texas!
for a second i was wondering what you were talking about, then i remembered that this is not the official board...

wherever he frequents, i hope the texans online community make him feel welcome
Old 03-18-2008   #113
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2030 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdude730 View Post
for a second i was wondering what you were talking about, then i remembered that this is not the official board...

wherever he frequents, i hope the texans online community make him feel welcome
I welcomed him to Houston and invited him to TexansTalk like an hour after the signing. He told me he'll stop by later.
Old 03-18-2008   #114
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 108211 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i'd honestly like to hear more about him. mine included, almost all of the posts have regarded the signing itsself. i didnt watch denver (or anyone outside of houston) as fanatical as most seasons last year but myers stood out as a complete player. i for one would like to hear as much about him as possible. strengths, weaknesses ... give me his free agent combine. tear him down, who did we sign?
Old 03-18-2008   #115
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyE View Post
I welcomed him to Houston and invited him to TexansTalk like an hour after the signing. He told me he'll stop by later.
thats good to hear. thanks for contacting him
Old 03-18-2008   #116
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyE View Post

I did the same. Also houstonprofootball.com. I'm sure they are overwhelmed with the welcome they are receiving from Texan fans.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008   #117
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Whoops ..I contacted him and told him about Texans Talk too...hehe.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008   #118
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogmrb View Post
Hope we made out like bandits on this one!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
holy crap, this is the best move of the offseason, i'm developing a man crush on mr. smith, anyone else
You can make out like bandits together

Last edited by Malloy; 03-18-2008 at 06:02 AM.
Malloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008   #119
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
One technical question with this being a trade rather than a free agent signing, how does the signing bonus etc get effected? Does this get traded too or are the Broncos paying this still??

On the signing itself, I think that it is a great pick up.
The way I would think it to happen is for the trade to take place and then the contract signed so as Denver does not pay any of the signing bonus. Because if he had signed the deal before hand they would have to eat all of the bonus this year. Why would you do that even out of respect? What I mean is you can not kil your cap space.

Does not matter we got him and that is all that matters.
Old 03-18-2008   #120
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
My question with that is how does a team trade a guy they don't have on their roster or did the trade his restricted rights to us which was followed by us signing the guy ourselves?
Denver owned the rights to Myers since they had already tendered him. So they had two options on how to proceed with this deal: a) go through the RFA offer sheet/first right of refusal process; or b) sign him to a contract with terms and conditions negotiated by the Texans (or any other team) then trade that contract to the Texans (or any other team) in exchange for a sixth round draft pick.

Apparently Denver chose the latter when they found out what the Texans were offering - deciding up front that they wouldn't be matching the offer. Denver essentially waived their first refusal rights at that point and drew up the new contract. The Texans traded for the contract after it was signed. The signing bonus will be payable by the Texans on or about May 15.

This is just like Schaub's deal where the contract was drawn up by the Falcons before he was traded to the Texans (because the Falcons still owned his rights).
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read