Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-17-2008   #81
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Myers Traded and Signed

This signing I like. A fresh center. That also allows us to move McKinney back to guard. Unless of course they leave Steve at center and move Myers to guard.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008   #82
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I like getting extra picks, but I really don’t understand giving up a young, versatile o-lineman who has 3 years in the organization. Unless there was some trouble behind the scenes, I can’t understand this move at all…..
There’s just so much about this I don’t understand. First of all, why we would let this happen is beyond me. This is a lot of faith to show in an aging, recently injury-prone interior line. Anyone want to lay odds on a 36 year old center coming off a season-ending injury making it through a whole season without missing any time? Secondly why did we bother making this a trade? It sounds like it would have gone down exactly the same way if the Texans had just signed him to an offer sheet. It just seems weird. I absolutely hate this move, hate it with a fiery passion. It’s not like we entered this offseason without a ton of personnel needs, and it seems like all we’ve done is create more holes while signing underacheivers and practice-squad caliber bums to “fill” the old holes. We better have the BEST draft ever if we want to be competitive in the next few seasons. Look here comes Keary Colbert and Marlon McCree to save the day… Yeesh. BOOOOO, front office, BOOOOO!

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/mason/...sixth-rounder/
These 2 different comments on the transaction are from the Broncos website
and they express a general tone about the trade (from the Broncos perspective), which is one of puzzlement and disapproval.
Sounds like a real good deal for us, especially if it only cost us a 6th rounder.
I dunno if I'd have a problem with it even if it were a 4th rounder: only 27 yet
versatile as he started all year for the Broncos at both guard & center. And
in the ZB system to boot. I think I like it !
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008   #83
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 657 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

This is one of the few cases where I don't mind giving up a draft pick. It's a low pick, it's for a young player who will be a starter, and the contract is very affordable.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008   #84
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 77974 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I like getting extra picks, but I really don’t understand giving up a young, versatile o-lineman who has 3 years in the organization. Unless there was some trouble behind the scenes, I can’t understand this move at all…..
There’s just so much about this I don’t understand. First of all, why we would let this happen is beyond me. This is a lot of faith to show in an aging, recently injury-prone interior line. Anyone want to lay odds on a 36 year old center coming off a season-ending injury making it through a whole season without missing any time? Secondly why did we bother making this a trade? It sounds like it would have gone down exactly the same way if the Texans had just signed him to an offer sheet. It just seems weird. I absolutely hate this move, hate it with a fiery passion. It’s not like we entered this offseason without a ton of personnel needs, and it seems like all we’ve done is create more holes while signing underacheivers and practice-squad caliber bums to “fill” the old holes. We better have the BEST draft ever if we want to be competitive in the next few seasons. Look here comes Keary Colbert and Marlon McCree to save the day… Yeesh. BOOOOO, front office, BOOOOO!

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/mason/...sixth-rounder/
These 2 different comments on the transaction are from the Broncos website
and they express a general tone about the trade (from the Broncos perspective), which is one of puzzlement and disapproval.

Sounds like a real good deal for us, especially if it only cost us a 6th rounder.
I dunno if I'd have a problem with it even if it were a 4th rounder: only 27 yet
versatile as he started all year for the Broncos at both guard & center. And
in the ZB system to boot. I think I like it !
It may be just me, but I think you should move the emboldened statement to the beginning of your post. I was confused for a while, thinking that those two sentences where from you, not the Broncos MB...
On the other hand, it has been a loooooooonnnnnnnngggg work day, and I am usually easy to confuse...
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008   #85
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56771 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

As Long as it's not this guy:

I Love it!
ChampionTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008   #86
maddogmrb
Veteran

Rep Power: 5153 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

He's young and still should have upside. Hope we made out like bandits on this one! It does seem curious that a team would give up a young lineman that started 16 games for them last year for only a 6th pick. Especially when most of their line is aging. I know I wouldn't do it.

maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008   #87
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7106 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

holy crap, this is the best move of the offseason, i'm developing a man crush on mr. smith, anyone else
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-17-2008   #88
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4640 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

This is a very solid pickup IMO. Kudos to Rick and the boys.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008   #89
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 30712 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overalls View Post
This signing I like. A fresh center. That also allows us to move McKinney back to guard. Unless of course they leave Steve at center and move Myers to guard.

I think this is going to move McKinney back to the streets. He is an older player that has been hurt two years in a row. Not to mention that he was going to be a bench player if not for Flanagan being really really bad.

I would be surprised to see either McKinney or Green make it out of training camp and be apart of the opening day 52 man roster.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008   #90
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
I think this is going to move McKinney back to the streets. He is an older player that has been hurt two years in a row. Not to mention that he was going to be a bench player if not for Flanagan being really really bad.

I would be surprised to see either McKinney or Green make it out of training camp and be apart of the opening day 52 man roster.
Flanagan must have been the most non-athletic center i've ever seen.
Old 03-17-2008   #91
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 657 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Myers, Thompson and Bentley are signings like Anthony Maddox last year. These are low risk, low cost but potentially high value transactions.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008   #92
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
Myers, Thompson and Bentley are signings like Anthony Maddox last year. These are low risk, low cost but potentially high value transactions.
Was it me or did Maddox seem to out play Travis ?
Old 03-17-2008   #93
Texaninlild
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4558 Texaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Texaninlild

This a great move for the Texans. I have no idea why the Broncos wouldn't match the deal unless they are in cap hell and have enough depth to cover the center spot.

I am not so down on Steve. He has been a decent O-Lineman for years for us.

I thought Demps and Davis were the main free agents on the roster we needed to lock up and we did. They have gone out and got faster, younger and more athletic at outside linebacker. Even though most of you hate it, Brown isn't a bad move at RB.

Trust in Smith and Kubes
Texaninlild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008   #94
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56771 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: texans trade 6th for myers

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
The bronco's fans thought on the trade...

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=113225
Off-topic comment to the Mods - and whoever else is responsible.

Thanks for controlling the sigs and other personalizations on this board. If you want to see what a totally out of control board looks like, visit this MB (Warning - it aint pretty).

Makes me really appreciate what we've got here.
Old 03-17-2008   #95
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP
Default Re: texans trade 6th for myers

I think this is a great signing, although I'm still not sure how we ended up with 2 of Denvers prototypical ZBS centers. We now have Myers and Eslinger, both picked for their system, both young and very coachable. I think Rick Smith is one of the best signings in Texan's History. I believe we are now in the list of top offseason teams in the conference. We didnt go big marquee moves, but I think we got very good value at every move. We can now securely go BPA at 18 regardless of position. I think with the depth of secondary players in the draft we could easily fill our needs there on day 2 if a good pick is there at 18. JMO
Old 03-17-2008   #96
kiwitexansfan
Let's Mock!!!!!

Rep Power: 43261 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

One technical question with this being a trade rather than a free agent signing, how does the signing bonus etc get effected? Does this get traded too or are the Broncos paying this still??

On the signing itself, I think that it is a great pick up.
Old 03-17-2008   #97
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 36493 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I am pretty pleased with this deal. Getting a 6th rounder w/ 3 yrs experience in your system is like a Mastercard Commercial. Priceless.
I see a lot of people saying they aren't down about McKinney. I remember a ton of posts on here crucifying the guy before we got Flanagan and saw just how bad it could really be. I think McKinney could be a value to us as depth, but I'm way too busy at work to look up his cap hit if he makes the team.
Old 03-17-2008   #98
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

So with the signing of Myers, we now know 3 out of 5 starting linemen for years to come. Going left to right, LT is still an unknown....LG is Mr.Reliable Chester Pitts....C Chris Myers....RG is an unknown....RT is "The Caveman" Eric Winston. Which makes my predictions of OG Brandon Albert in Round 1 and LT Tony Hills in Round 3 all the more worth it.
Old 03-17-2008   #99
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I am pretty pleased with this deal. Getting a 6th rounder w/ 3 yrs experience in your system is like a Mastercard Commercial. Priceless.
I see a lot of people saying they aren't down about McKinney. I remember a ton of posts on here crucifying the guy before we got Flanagan and saw just how bad it could really be. I think McKinney could be a value to us as depth, but I'm way too busy at work to look up his cap hit if he makes the team.
I agree about McKinney, I think I would like to see Eslinger or Myers win the starting job, but McKinney is still valuable as a interior backup, especially in the running game. Last year there was no comparison between Flanagan and McKinney.
Old 03-17-2008   #100
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
One technical question with this being a trade rather than a free agent signing, how does the signing bonus etc get effected? Does this get traded too or are the Broncos paying this still??

On the signing itself, I think that it is a great pick up.
The deal was done as a sign and trade as a courtesy to Myers and the Texans. If it had been done by letting Denver refuse to match the offer, a certain amount of time would have to go by before it was final (not sure exactly how much).

As far as the bonus, Denver was performing a courtesy, but it didn't extend to bonus dollars either in cash or cap space. Nice thought though.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read