Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-13-2008   #21
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans talking to FA Myers

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I think Schaub is 6'5" too. If an OLineman is blocking at his full height, it wouldn't be for long because he'd be knocked on his butt.
I gave this info because, the general rule of thumb for interior guys is typically under 6'4". I was being coy with the Schaub thing.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #22
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Myers update:
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_8565774

Quote:
A Broncos starter at left guard and center last season, Myers is a restricted free agent who Thursday visited with the Houston Texans.

No offer sheet was presented and Myers was scheduled to return home today. But the fact Myers has already started making visits nearly five weeks before the restricted free agency period passes indicates he will draw considerable interest.

"I'm going to keep my options open," Myers said. "If a team makes an offer, I'll look at it. If not, I don't want to leave Denver, anyway. I started my career there and I love it there. It's a win-win."
Quote:
At first glance, the Broncos would figure to match an offer to Myers because they would only get the Texans' sixth-round draft pick in return.

However, if Houston offers a "starter" contract to Myers, the Broncos may balk at paying big dollars to a player who may not beat out left guard Ben Hamilton or center Tom Nalen, who are expected to be back healthy next season.
It sounds like the only way to get Myers is to offer him the starting gig at C and pay him like a starter, and lose a late round draft pick. He left without an offer.

I'm curious to see how this plays out.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #23
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3733 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

If Myers was in the draft this year, where would you have him slotted to be picked?
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #24
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrewster2000 View Post
I am not really sure where you are going with this comment. I would maybe understand it if we werent targeting a 3rd year player that has been tendered by Denver and was their starting Center last year.

Now if we were discussing a 30+ year old, oft injured RB I would agree.
It was a quick emotional post. We seem to be looking at FAs that threaten to "leave" their teams and use Htown to get more $ (part of the business I know), old over the hill players or injured guys we hope will make it through a few games. I don't see Myers signing with Texans but hey, we can't say Smith isn't bringing 'em in.
Old 03-14-2008   #25
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
Myers update:
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_8565774

It sounds like the only way to get Myers is to offer him the starting gig at C and pay him like a starter, and lose a late round draft pick. He left without an offer.

I'm curious to see how this plays out.
It sounds as if it's already played out, Hoth. At least for us anyways.

Thanks for the update.
Old 03-14-2008   #26
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
In college, I had opportunity to watch him. He was a "push forward" type of player. He had a superlative supporting OL. Last year at Denver, their OL was not the force of past, and he did not appear to be a dominance in the center. His foot work to me seemed somewhat mechanical and awkward. At 6'5", I would like to ask especially Vinny (but anyone is welcome to respond) if he feels that height would be something that hinders him at the center position. Classically you want someone who can take up space and is relatively low to the ground. Are these qualifications less important/unimportant in the smooth running ZBS. Greg Eslinger, before his injury was thought to be Denver's center of the future. He has a more prototypical height of 6'3".
You are right that bigger and taller hasn’t always been better like the other linemen. Olin Kreutz and Tom Nailen are two of the best linemen in the NFL and both are about 6’2 - 6'3 and also less than 300 pounds. The Center is probably the smallest guy on the line on just about every team since you really want a player with some flexibility with the guy snapping the ball. Being able to get low and build a base is important so long tall types usually don’t play here but I’ve seen some pretty tall Centers in the league the last few years.

Seems he would be better at pass blocking since he could keep guys off his body but would have more trouble in short yardage. I think with all the swing players and limited rosters, and really tall interior Defensive Tackles, the 'undersized' Center may be more rare going forward especially since it’s harder to justify a line spot to a guy that can only play one position due to his size unless he is the best of his position.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #27
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
You are right that bigger and taller hasn’t always been better like the other linemen. Olin Kreutz and Tom Nailen are two of the best linemen in the NFL and both are about 6’2 - 6'3 and also less than 300 pounds. The Center is probably the smallest guy on the line on just about every team since you really want a player with some flexibility with the guy snapping the ball. Being able to get low and build a base is important so long tall types usually don’t play here but I’ve seen some pretty tall Centers in the league the last few years.

Seems he would be better at pass blocking since he could keep guys off his body but would have more trouble in short yardage. I think with all the swing players and limited rosters, and really tall interior Defensive Tackles, the 'undersized' Center may be more rare going forward especially since it’s harder to justify a line spot to a guy that can only play one position due to his size unless he is the best of his position.

Well put
Old 03-14-2008   #28
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=113059

this is a link to a thread talking about myers. seems a few of the posters really like him and his versatility on the line. they also talk about how he did really well when nalen went on IR.

FYI, myers dad is a poster on the boards over there and this is what he had to say:

Quote:
Just so you all know..........I am very interested to see what Denver may wish to do, to keep Chris in Denver. If they don't match the offer on the sheet it would truely be a sad thing for us and for Chris. We had hoped Chris would play his career out in Denver. He has just added on to his home and brought his girlfriend out to live here.

Having said that.........whatever happens.....Chris will make the right choice for him and hopefully Denver will also make the right choice for the team.

Wish I could say more but will refrain until everything has been decided on. GO BRONCOS
i would have liked to see him get an offer from the texans
Old 03-14-2008   #29
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3733 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't really spend much time worrying about the "business" side of the Texans, so I'm looking for some input on this. Since they didn't tender an offersheet to Myers, does that typically mean that the team has written him off. If teams have a real desire to sign a player, do they not let them leave before giving them an offer, or do they sometimes let them leave and see if other teams tender an offer and then try and top it?
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008   #30
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookinreds View Post
I don't really spend much time worrying about the "business" side of the Texans, so I'm looking for some input on this. Since they didn't tender an offer sheet to Myers, does that typically mean that the team has written him off. If teams have a real desire to sign a player, do they not let them leave before giving them an offer, or do they sometimes let them leave and see if other teams tender an offer and then try and top it?
That would be a risky game of "chicken" unless you had an informal understanding with the player to notify your team that "an offer is on the table." Once one team (other than his "home" team) signs him to an offer, only that team or the "home" team has a chance to obtain/retain his rights.

With that said, it's been quiet on the Myers front. He's returned to Denver without activity. He still has a month to visit other teams. I'm sure he's hoping for closer to starter money and more than his one year tender. In Denver, he was moved last year from guard to center when starting veteran center Tom Nalen went on IR. Nalen has one more season on his contract and has hinted that he may want to retire thereafter. Myers would be Denver's logical replacement. I wouldn't rule out Myers altogether since for whatever reason Denver tendered him so low even though they have "groomed" him for the last 3 years.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008   #31
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookinreds View Post
I don't really spend much time worrying about the "business" side of the Texans, so I'm looking for some input on this. Since they didn't tender an offersheet to Myers, does that typically mean that the team has written him off. If teams have a real desire to sign a player, do they not let them leave before giving them an offer, or do they sometimes let them leave and see if other teams tender an offer and then try and top it?
I would say that if he left without an offer from the Texans then it's pretty much a garuntee that he won't come back to us.

Sounds intriguing, but as somebody else asked, if Myers was in the draft, he'd probably go about 5th or 6th unless you're counting his NFL experience. Then it'd have to be in the 2nd or 3rd because he's a sure thing, he's already played in the NFL.
Old 03-15-2008   #32
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans seem to want to add a center, but really are committed at doing it at their price. This is what the 3rd or 4th guy we have looked at this off-season with no takers yet.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008   #33
santo
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25222 santo is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/pa...Y&pageId=6.1.1

Quote:
NFL sources told FOX 26 Sports on Monday that the Houston Texans will acquire restricted free agent center Chris Myers from the Denver Broncos.
Looks like the Texans signed him.
Old 03-17-2008   #34
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by santo View Post

GREAT ADDITION in light of Gibbs controlling the ground game.
Old 03-17-2008   #35
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by santo View Post
I assume there's a typo in here.

Quote:
League sources told FOX that Denver will sign Myers to a four-year contract worth $11 million. The deal will give Myers $3 million in guaranteed money. The Texans will give Denver a sixth-round pick in the 2008 NFL Draft.
edit: Nevermind, it was a sign and trade deal.

Last edited by HOU-TEX; 03-17-2008 at 03:07 PM.
HOU-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008   #36
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I assume there's a typo in here.
God i hope so. LOL
Old 03-17-2008   #37
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 23636 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Good signing for us. What are the chances a six round pick will even make our roster? By signing Myers we get a starting center, something which we needed to do desperately. Another good move by GM Rick Smith.
Old 03-17-2008   #38
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8733 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected
Default texans trade 6th for myers

just reported in the chronicle. im at work so i cant paste it. sounds like a pretty reasonable contract.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008   #39
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Default Re: texans trade 6th for myers

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbeth View Post
just reported in the chronicle. im at work so i cant paste it. sounds like a pretty reasonable contract.
4 years 3million garaunteed. Pretty good.
Old 03-17-2008   #40
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47761 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: texans trade 6th for myers

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/5626217.html

huge for Texans

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read