Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-05-2008   #281
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Myers Traded and Signed

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Are you really claiming Pitts has slow feet and does not get down field? I thought you were claiming Pitts was doing a poor job once down field. If it was the former I'd say the tape shows quite the opposite.

Unnecessarily rude response as well.
So was a.j.'s.
get what you give.....speaking of get....
big difference in getting there and executing a block once you are there. I stand by my posts. some thing has to change for Pitts this summer.
Old 04-05-2008   #282
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 158703 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
WIll it help Pitts to go down from 320? I thought he had fairly quick feet at LT?
I think he moves well at 320 and agree with the others that state that Chester has good feet and is quicker that 3tp portrays.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008   #283
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75541 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I think Chester is quick enough ... sometimes I think he has to much of that Californa cool .
I agree

It says something that Pitts is the best ol in Texans history.

IMO he is way overrated.

Hopefully Gibbs gets him to shape up. I love the way KUBES chews his butt out when he misses assignments. If he thinks KUBES is hard on him wait till he gets chewed out by Gibbs. It remains to be seen if he can take the mental challenge & improve.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008   #284
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
So was a.j.'s.
get what you give.....speaking of get....
big difference in getting there and executing a block once you are there. I stand by my posts. some thing has to change for Pitts this summer.
In the spirit of get what you give, you basically call a lineman with better than average quickness slow and that he needs to be "cut or moved" so naturally I called BS. I now understand why I should have just let that one slide by into the fish meal conveyor.

Given the claim, I wanted to hear an explanation/example or two of Pitts' sloth ... and not just a random 'missed assignment' or two - something that really exemplified these chronic weaknesses you see in his game.

I touched on what I think are his strengths and weaknesses but there's only so much a fan can intelligently comment on in terms of line play with no insight into playbook, play calls and coaches tape. Sherm's power and counter was fundamental and repetitive enough that you knew pretty much on every play what the OL and TE assignments were, but the inside outside zone stuff is a little less predictable in terms of how long you stay on your man before you release, etc....

I have no doubt that Gibbs will have a low tolerance for poor play from any player, or for players that don't have the quickness, strength and agility to function in his schemes, but what you're saying is kind of like me saying Petey's a shut down corner.

The more I think about it, the more I think Pitts is ready made for a Gibbs coached offensive line - I just wish he wouldn't have had to wait until his 7th year to work in it. I think he and Myers will be a very good tandem. I'm far more concerned about RG at the moment.

Last edited by aj.; 04-05-2008 at 07:15 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008   #285
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
That is what appears to be Pitts' biggest problem IMO--decision making on helping out teammates and who to pick up at times. His quickness then is nullified by analysis paralysis.
I'd agree with that, along with his propensity for false starts - he's been a penalty-making machine. I'm assuming Gibbs will implement more zone schemes in pass protection as well as run blocking (maybe 55olinesdad could help clarify this - thanks in advance??), which may help with that. Hypothetically, would moving him to LT make it easier for him to decide who to pick up?

Last edited by Rex King; 04-05-2008 at 04:25 PM.
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008   #286
55Olinesdad
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 55Olinesdad was voted MVP55Olinesdad was voted MVP55Olinesdad was voted MVP55Olinesdad was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex King View Post
I'd agree with that, along with his propensity for false starts - he's been a penalty-making machine. I'm assuming Gibbs will implement more zone schemes in pass protection as well as run blocking (maybe 55olinesdad could help clarify this - thanks in advance??), which may help with that. Hypothetically, would moving him to LT make it easier for him to decide who to pick up?
I am not sure what clarification you are asking me for but I do know that Gibbs will surely make decision making by the O line a very automatic event for them. After 3 years in Denver, I saw very little problems for the linemen, on who to block on any given play.
I just watched this past years game against the Dolphins on NFL network today. I am glad I got the chance to watch the linemen in a regular game before camp starts. Gibbs will bring it all together thats for sure. I see the tools he needs are pretty much in place.
55Olinesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008   #287
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 107472 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55Olinesdad View Post
I am not sure what clarification you are asking me for but I do know that Gibbs will surely make decision making by the O line a very automatic event for them. After 3 years in Denver, I saw very little problems for the linemen, on who to block on any given play.
I just watched this past years game against the Dolphins on NFL network today. I am glad I got the chance to watch the linemen in a regular game before camp starts. Gibbs will bring it all together thats for sure. I see the tools he needs are pretty much in place.
Well, just keep in mind that the Miami game was very ugly. I rate that game right up there with the Sd, Atl and the 2nd Indy game. The lack of a running game stuck out like a sore thumb. The lack of a running game against the worst running D at the time was just pathetic. Our Oline sucked that game! Flabbygan and Salaam were horrible as usual and the rest of the interior were beat more often than not too.

Shaub had a decent game. The 1 INT was a little high, but still should've been caught (OD would've).

A team with a bad Offensive and Defensive running game screams mediocrity. Let's all hope we improve on both sides of the ball. With the addition of Gibbs I'm less concerned about the O than the D.

Old 04-07-2008   #288
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

The Miami game was very nearly a loss. I've never seen an opposing team come into Reliant stadium more intent on giving the Texans a win than the Dolphins were last year. Ugly, ugly game. I had a good time sitting with Vinny and making fun of the way Mario was run out of practically every single run play the Dolphins tried in the first half (and trying to figure out why the Dolphins just seemingly quit trying to run the ball for no reason when it was working so well) but it was a real stinker.

I'm so excited about getting coach Gibbs here that I think this may be (at least for me) the longest off-season in Texans history. All 6 years of it! Every single place Gibbs has been he's had success and he's had it from the start. It's like he knows exactly what he's looking to do and how to get that out of any competent offensive lineman. I haven't felt this good about an aspect of "my" team since the year the Oilers brought in Buddy Ryan to run the defense. You absolutely knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that the Oilers were going to have a fearsome defense the next year. Sure, it might take a few games but there was no doubt where that was going to end and the defense lived up to the expectations.

I see the Texans in a very similar situation with Gibbs coming in. I have no worries where the running game is concerned. They'll learn it and they'll execute it.
Old 04-07-2008   #289
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 143539 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

RE: the Miami game. I remember thinking that the team was very poorly prepared. It seemed a total fiasco from the start. It was a W but to me not very satisfying. ALso, I appreciate the talk about Pitts. I see this possibly opening up another LT candidate in Otah that I have been leery of. Also, Spencer would fall in this area too. Has anyone seen anything on Charles Spencer's current weight? I heard a few weeks ago he was over 360 lbs.
Old 04-07-2008   #290
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Well, just keep in mind that the Miami game was very ugly.
Excuse, excuse. This is totally off the subject here, but about last years games I just happened to watch my recording of last years Saints game.
First time for me to watch the game on TV as I attended it in person last year, but what a great for the Texans. And helped get me thru another long offseason Sunday afternoon.
But good game for a lot of players including Mario, AJ (just back from his long absense due to injury), DeMeco as usual, but Schaub. Dang if Schaub can only stay healthy in '08 and play like he did in that game vs. the Saints most of the time next year, IMO we're gonna be OK.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008   #291
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 186361 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's a great interview with 55Olinesdad............all you ever wanted to know about Chris and family...........It's genetic

Quote:
Chris' favorite thing to do is lead block. He loves to get down field and block linebackers and safeties. He gets upset when the play runs the other way and he's not blocking in front of it. Willis McGahee was interviewed after the Fiesta Bowl and asked what he would remember about the game. McGahee said "running behind Chris Myers' butt."
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008   #292
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
that's down right encouraging to hear
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008   #293
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 107472 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Here's a great interview with 55Olinesdad............all you ever wanted to know about Chris and family...........It's genetic
Thanks, Cloak. I like these little snipetts.

Quote:
And other than your son, who is your favorite Texan?

He told me that Eric Winston was his favorite Texan. He said that he's known Eric personally since he and Chris played in Miami. Eric comes to his home for dinner and has come to his office on several occasions. They too affectionately refer to him as "Neanderthal."
Quote:
What are Chris' strengths on the field?

Chris is a very technical player and really understands his position. He's good at making line calls.

Another thing Chris works on is finishing his blocks. His father watches him every play as long as the camera is on him to see if he finishes every block.
Quote:
He's looking forward to squaring off with Haynesworth and Henderson.
Old 04-09-2008   #294
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 304149 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He's looking forward to squaring off with Haynesworth and Henderson.
Music to this Texans fan's ears. I hope he lays Haynesworth back on his ass, and keeps driving him into the ground every play.
Old 04-09-2008   #295
55Olinesdad
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 55Olinesdad was voted MVP55Olinesdad was voted MVP55Olinesdad was voted MVP55Olinesdad was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Music to this Texans fan's ears. I hope he lays Haynesworth back on his ass, and keeps driving him into the ground every play.
I am kinda hoping the same thing. When he was getting ready to go against Haynesworth last year to be honest i was a bit nervous. It was about mid way through the season and he only had about 6 or 7 starts under his belt. He was pretty pumped up the few weeks before knowing he was getting ready to go against him. It ended up Haynesworth was injured and did not even get to play in that game. Personally, I saw it as a let down for Chris because he was super anxious to show what he could do against such a seasoned pro. Chris then got the chance to go against one of his childhood hero's, Warren Sapp. He grew up watchin Warren at the U of Miami and really was a huge fan of Sapps. He pretty much took care of Sapp the entire game and if I recall correctly only lost one block against him but it wasn't for a sack. Yes Warrens best days have past I would agree but he is still a huge force on the field and you can never take that away form him.
I do think this year Haynesworth is going to see a entire differnt O line against the Texans. Gibbs is going to do what he does best. The tools are there as far as I can tell ( pending draft picks also ).
55Olinesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008   #296
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I am kinda hoping the same thing. When he was getting ready to go against Haynesworth last year to be honest i was a bit nervous. It was about mid way through the season and he only had about 6 or 7 starts under his belt. He was pretty pumped up the few weeks before knowing he was getting ready to go against him. It ended up Haynesworth was injured and did not even get to play in that game. Personally, I saw it as a let down for Chris because he was super anxious to show what he could do against such a seasoned pro. Chris then got the chance to go against one of his childhood hero's, Warren Sapp. He grew up watchin Warren at the U of Miami and really was a huge fan of Sapps. He pretty much took care of Sapp the entire game and if I recall correctly only lost one block against him but it wasn't for a sack. Yes Warrens best days have past I would agree but he is still a huge force on the field and you can never take that away form him.
I do think this year Haynesworth is going to see a entire differnt O line against the Texans. Gibbs is going to do what he does best. The tools are there as far as I can tell ( pending draft picks also ).

can the season get here any sooner, really pumped to see Chris play as our new starting center

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008   #297
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 161683 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I gotta hunch that if he dropped a Snickers bar , Haynesworth would fall to pick it up . Haynesworth is going to revert back to his old self ... he got paid .
Old 04-09-2008   #298
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56384 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree the tools are almost there, but I would sure like to see a LT in round one to really anchor and solidy this line.

I also have a concern about RG. Are we letting Weary go? Even if he comes back, he is coming off an injury. Who are the other candidates? I guess Spencer would be ideal, but we all know his circumstances. Kasey Studdard didn't look that good to me in limited duty last year. Who else is a possibility? Maybe we take a flyer on a guard in the 5th or 7th.

I'm happy we have Myers, and I am keeping my fingers crossed that he solidifies center for many years. I'll add my welcome to #55 and his Dad.
Old 04-09-2008   #299
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 143539 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
I agree the tools are almost there, but I would sure like to see a LT in round one to really anchor and solidy this line.

I also have a concern about RG. Are we letting Weary go? Even if he comes back, he is coming off an injury. Who are the other candidates? I guess Spencer would be ideal, but we all know his circumstances. Kasey Studdard didn't look that good to me in limited duty last year. Who else is a possibility? Maybe we take a flyer on a guard in the 5th or 7th.

I'm happy we have Myers, and I am keeping my fingers crossed that he solidifies center for many years. I'll add my welcome to #55 and his Dad.
Briesel is RT G and with Spencer a strong candidate, we should be ok. This is my primary reason for not going with Albert + his lack of time at LT. As Spencer continues to improve, he might be ok @ LT eventually. I just don't want to depend on that. WIth a strong draft pick for LT I see Jordan Black as on the bubble, That would be an improvement as he has been under the bubble so far.
Old 04-09-2008   #300
Ckw

Quote:
All I can say is I cannot wait to see what Chris can do! Thanks for visiting the board and tell Chris the fans at TexansTalk are rooting for him.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read