Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-02-2008   #261
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 140377 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Myers Traded and Signed

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
nice post BL. That's what I'm thinking also.
I disagree. Salaam/draft, Pitts, Myers, best guard on roster, Winston. People have been moving Pitts from LG since he moved from LT. Only coach got him to LG and he is not going anywhere. We have been in lots worse shape than we are this year on O line.
Old 04-02-2008   #262
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I disagree. Salaam/draft, Pitts, Myers, best guard on roster, Winston. People have been moving Pitts from LG since he moved from LT. Only coach got him to LG and he is not going anywhere. We have been in lots worse shape than we are this year on O line.
I love Pitts I really do. The eye in the sky don't lie....he made a lot of wiffs down the field last year.... What I read about Gibbs brace yourself big guy their choices are going to be cut him or move him.
Old 04-02-2008   #263
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 140377 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I love Pitts I really do. The eye in the sky don't lie....he made a lot of wiffs down the field last year.... What I read about Gibbs brace yourself big guy their choices are going to be cut him or move him.
So the wunderkind coach can work miracles with all except Chester?
Old 04-02-2008   #264
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104409 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree. IMO, if Brisiel continues to improve, I think he's got a good chance at starting RG.

If LT is addressed in the 1st round, I expect him to be the week 1 starter.
Old 04-02-2008   #265
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So the wunderkind coach can work miracles with all except Chester?
I just know that Gibbs will not except that kind of production from the LG spot.
Pitts has got to get quicker or move. Something has to change this summer. Gibbs will not expcept the wiffs on his down the field assingments. No way no how.
Old 04-02-2008   #266
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
I just know that Gibbs will not except that kind of production from the LG spot.
Pitts has got to get quicker or move. Something has to change this summer. Gibbs will not expcept the wiffs on his down the field assingments. No way no how.
WIll it help Pitts to go down from 320? I thought he had fairly quick feet at LT?
Old 04-02-2008   #267
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
See, the thing is at least Pitts got his butt down field to where he could whiff at the second level. The remainder of the interior line wasn't getting that kind of push near as often. Hopefully Myers will improve the C spot.
Old 04-02-2008   #268
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Since when is Pitts not quick? Someone pls explain with hard examples, not male bovine rectal product.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008   #269
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

downfield blocking is a special skill/will its like special teams players only a few have the knack and are really good at it. I think you need a determination to hit someone and the explosiveness to blast thru them. I think it also takes more upper body strength and timing. I havent really seen many Texans with that kind of explosiveness on their hits.
Old 04-03-2008   #270
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
Since when is Pitts not quick? Someone pls explain with hard examples, not male bovine rectal product.
Put in any tape you want before you open your pie hole.
Old 04-03-2008   #271
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Are you really claiming Pitts has slow feet and does not get down field? I thought you were claiming Pitts was doing a poor job once down field. If it was the former I'd say the tape shows quite the opposite.

Unnecessarily rude response as well.
Old 04-03-2008   #272
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I remembering watching Pitts pull a number of times and was very surprised how quick the guy moved for his frame.
Old 04-03-2008   #273
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 151960 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Chester is quick enough ... sometimes I think he has to much of that Californa cool .
Old 04-03-2008   #274
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 192752 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_Gamer View Post
downfield blocking is a special skill/will its like special teams players only a few have the knack and are really good at it. I think you need a determination to hit someone and the explosiveness to blast thru them. I think it also takes more upper body strength and timing. I havent really seen many Texans with that kind of explosiveness on their hits.
Downfield blocking is made most effective by a running back that sets up those blocks intelligently. Last year, Walker was probably the best at doing that - which really ain't sayin' much when you think about it.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008   #275
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 151960 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...php?pyid=60047

This was one draft sites opinion .
Old 04-03-2008   #276
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

#69 is quick enough, so quityabishin!
Old 04-03-2008   #277
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You forgot to say 'rack me, I'm out!'

I haven't used tape in years but I do have the last several seasons on DVD and DVR and between those worn out recordings and watching every game live, I think I have a pretty good handle on what Chester can and can't do. Sherman's power/counter required Chester to pull on a regular basis and I thought he handled it quite well. This year will be totally different again - back to more what Kubiak and Calhoun required in '06 in terms of assignment and technique that was being taught then by Sherman.

Chester is actually one of our quicker linemen in space which makes your comments all that more bizarre. If you could provide examples of these 'blown assignments,' it would be helpful. As an aside, how do you even know what his downfield assignments are anyway? (I'm talking second level zone stuff which is the only thing relevant here)

From what I've seen over the years, his main problem area is man assignments in tight space, i.e., the offensive version of holding the point -- but that's just me....

I think Chester will do just fine under Gibbs and I look forward to watching him work next to Myers. In fact, it may bring out his best in this... his what..... 7th season? I hope he can stay healthy because he is an asset. I'm more concerned about RG and keeping Salaam healthy until we can find an able replacement.

Last edited by aj.; 04-03-2008 at 08:35 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008   #278
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You forgot to say 'rack me, I'm out!'

I haven't used tape in years but I do have the last several seasons on DVD and DVR and between those worn out recordings and watching every game live, I think I have a pretty good handle on what Chester can and can't do. Sherman's power/counter required Chester to pull on a regular basis and I thought he handled it quite well. This year will be totally different again - back to more what Kubiak and Calhoun required in '06 in terms of assignment and technique that was being taught then by Sherman.

Chester is actually one of our quicker linemen in space which makes your comments all that more bizarre. If you could provide examples of these 'blown assignments,' it would be helpful. As an aside, how do you even know what his downfield assignments are anyway? (I'm talking second level zone stuff which is the only thing relevant here)

From what I've seen over the years, his main problem area is man assignments in tight space, i.e., the offensive version of holding the point -- but that's just me....

I think Chester will do just fine under Gibbs and I look forward to watching him work next to Myers. In fact, it may bring out his best in this... his what..... 7th season? I hope he can stay healthy because he is an asset. I'm more concerned about RG and keeping Salaam healthy until we can find an able replacement.
I agree with your take on Chester. He does have good to excellent quickness/agility for an interior OLineman. We shouldn't forget that it was
enough to allow him to play effectively at LT against some premiere edge
rushers in the NFL. One of his most memorable games to me was the season opener in the Texans second season when he was outstanding down in South FLA against Jason Taylor. But I think Chesters athleticism make him an excellent candidate for Gibbs ZB system
I do however recall either a blown assignment or internal mix-up within the Texans Oline in that game against the Jags last year when we were right at their goal-line. I think the Jags RT (Stroud ?) and the DE executed a stunt and he got into the backfield and the Texans suffered a big loss. It looked to be a missed block by Chester, but maybe it wasn't Chesters fault ? But that wasn't a quickness issue, and that was just one play of course. But on balance, I believe Chester has been thought to be the best OLineman the Texans have had to date. But I realize everything is relative, so that's not exactly high praise given the history of our Oline.
BTW, on the subject of terminology, I take the "second-level" to mean the area of the defense where the LBs play as compared to "downfield" which is
beyond the second-level into the D-backfield ? Maybe others would disagree ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008   #279
Polo

When y'all are talking about blocking "down field" are we talking second level or third level ?
Old 04-04-2008   #280
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I do however recall either a blown assignment or internal mix-up within the Texans Oline in that game against the Jags last year when we were right at their goal-line. I think the Jags RT (Stroud ?) and the DE executed a stunt and he got into the backfield and the Texans suffered a big loss. It looked to be a missed block by Chester, but maybe it wasn't Chesters fault ?
That is what appears to be Pitts' biggest problem IMO--decision making on helping out teammates and who to pick up at times. His quickness then is nullified by analysis paralysis.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read