Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-19-2008   #181
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Myers Traded and Signed

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
Just make sure you warn Chris that the water in Galveston Bay is more like caffe mocha than it is blue windex.
Cafe mocha? If I did not know better I would think you worked for Chamber of Commerce.
Old 03-19-2008   #182
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3733 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55Olinesdad View Post
What many people may not know about Chris's speed........

At the U of Miami he was the main downfield blocker for Willis MacGahee and also Frank Gore. Willis gave Chris a large credit just before the National Championship game against Ohio State in the Fiesta Bowl. The following is cut and pasted from that article....

Crediting Myers: Somebody asked McGahee what memories he'll take away from this season. The seven school records he eclipsed? His six-touchdown performance against Virginia Tech? His 68-yard catch and carry on the screen play that set up the Hurricanes' winning score against Florida State? Nah.
"Chris Myers," McGahee said, grinning.
Why the Hurricanes' right guard? "He's the only one that keeps blocking for me 20 yards down the field," McGahee said

I tell you what as a dad........you can't ask for anything better then to read that the morning of a National Championship game. I am very blessed.
Heck, that made my chest pump out, can only imagine how many shirt sizes you grew into after reading that. I'll add my welcome to this board as well as the others. I think this team is turning into something special, and it will be nice to have some insight from the trenches. It will be interesting having Chris and Eric back on the same line, and seeing if we have a running back that can catch up to Chris' downfield blocks!
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008   #183
55Olinesdad
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 55Olinesdad was voted MVP55Olinesdad was voted MVP55Olinesdad was voted MVP55Olinesdad was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xetuoh1836 View Post
A hardy Texans "Howdy" to you sir! I look foward to seeing Chris contributions to the Texans! Chris will have to readjust to steamy weather like he experienced in Florida! I, for one, look foward to your "behind-the-scenes" look at what the team is up to (without the butt kicking, of course).

Do you have a link to the MaGahee article so that I might foward it to other Texan fans? That's a hell'ave compliment to your son! I can see why your so proud of your boy!
I have the article in word format. Not sure why I saved it that way I think I was afraid the site would delete the article so I saved it in a file. If you PM me and give me your e mail I can mail it to you later.
55Olinesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008   #184
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Looks like Meyers' dad joined the message board. I saw the newest member listed as 62olinesdad.

If so, welcome aboard...
Quote:
Hello everyone,

I want to thank everyone for their posts with well wishes and positive comments. I just found out Chris's Jersey number will be 55 for Houston so I changed my name to reflect his number. I look forward to hopefully being on this board for many years with Chris playing for Houston. We are looking forward to come to Houston for many games and hopefully meet many of you. Thanks again
Okay, that explains it...
Old 03-19-2008   #185
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3733 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

As our starting C, if he's going to be #55, please tell him to go with black cleats! Seemed to work around these parts pretty well. Oh...and how's his signing? Carl Mauck had a very popular single, that could use a cover rendition.
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008   #186
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Chris is excited about playing with Eric again. They are very close friends and they often meet up back in Miami when offseason. Eric even came to my daughters wedding last year he has been a close friend of all of us since he started at the U of Miami. We are very happy that Eric is there already and can give Chris information on Houston so his move from Denver is hopefully not too overwhelming for him.
That is good to hear. That should make the transition smoother. I bumped into Kasey Studdard's uncle a month or two ago, I will probably see him again since he frequents the same wing bar I do. It will make for an intersting conversation to talk about Chris. I hope he gels well with the rest of the O-Line. His experience with the ZBS makes this a great match for him and the Texans, he can hit the ground running.

And another "Welcome to the Board". We are a very passionate fan base and this MB is the best IMO. Lot of smart and insightful posters here. For me, this is the best way to keep with our team especially since the Austin area has basically zero coverage of us. There are alot of here that drive the 3 hours one way to Houston on those fall Sundays though.
Old 03-19-2008   #187
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 226347 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I don't think luck has as much to do with it as our need to aquire a starting Center that fits Gibbs scheme & whom Gary & Rick are both familar with plus having such close relationships

Really? Well what if Denver hadn't been stacked at that position? What if they had decided that they were going to hang on to the younger player and let the old timer go? We'd be looking at bringing in Gary Kubiak's own version of Mike Flanagan in that case. What if they had decided to tender him higher?

No, I think the circumstances lined up pretty nicely for us to be able to get this guy at a this time for this price.
Old 03-19-2008   #188
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
No, I think the circumstances lined up pretty nicely for us to be able to get this guy at a this time for this price.
"the circumstances lined up pretty nicely" yes they did, but there is a reason for everything

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008   #189
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

55olinesdad, a question you may be able to answer for me. When negotiating with a new team, how much did Chris or his agent evaluate the Texans? I know a starter's spot and the money/contract length were priority but was he interested in things beyond Gibbs and guys he knew like Winston? Did Chris concern himself with the team adding a Rb or left tackle in draft? I am sure his agent was up to date on free agent signings but as most players are win oriented, I was interested in if he evaluated what Texans might do for other positions?
Old 03-19-2008   #190
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll add my welcome as well here.

What has impressed me the most with this thread is i haven't seen the what seemed to be an cliche with some of the posters around here. How they used to complain about signing players formerly associated with the coaching staff.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008   #191
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
I'll add my welcome as well here.

What has impressed me the most with this thread is i haven't seen the what seemed to be an cliche with some of the posters around here. How they used to complain about signing players formerly associated with the coaching staff.
I think mainly because it is not one of those aging guys and it is a relatively young player in terms of what has been done in the past.
Old 03-19-2008   #192
55Olinesdad
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 55Olinesdad was voted MVP55Olinesdad was voted MVP55Olinesdad was voted MVP55Olinesdad was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
55olinesdad, a question you may be able to answer for me. When negotiating with a new team, how much did Chris or his agent evaluate the Texans? I know a starter's spot and the money/contract length were priority but was he interested in things beyond Gibbs and guys he knew like Winston? Did Chris concern himself with the team adding a Rb or left tackle in draft? I am sure his agent was up to date on free agent signings but as most players are win oriented, I was interested in if he evaluated what Texans might do for other positions?

To be honest the first thing he said to me ( yes of course after 11 million ) was that he loved the idea of playing for Kubes and Gibbs which pretty much sold him on Houston pretty quick. He has the ultimate regard for what he did for Chris in Denver and Kubes was most likely the guy that drafted Chris. I have talked with Kubes a few times after games in Denver and I can agree with one thing. Kubes is a class act and will do something very special here in Houston. He is putting the puzzle together.......and a lot of pieces are already in place now. Just got to find those few that have tough pegs to match up. Houston will be a force to reckon with.

By the way...........THANKS EVERYONE for the welcomes and good wishes.

Last edited by infantrycak; 03-20-2008 at 09:16 AM.
Old 03-19-2008   #193
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1298 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=55Olinesdad;870091]
Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
55olinesdad, a question you may be able to answer for me. When negotiating with a new team, how much did Chris or his agent evaluate the Texans? I know a starter's spot and the money/contract length were priority but was he interested in things beyond Gibbs and guys he knew like Winston? Did Chris concern himself with the team adding a Rb or left tackle in draft? I am sure his agent was up to date on free agent signings but as most players are win oriented, I was interested in if he evaluated what Texans might do for other positions?[/QUOTE

To be honest the first thing he said to me ( yes of course after 11 million ) was that he loved the idea of playing for Kubes and Gibbs which pretty much sold him on Houston pretty quick. He has the ultimate regard for what he did for Chris in Denver and Kubes was most likely the guy that drafted Chris. I have talked with Kubes a few times after games in Denver and I can agree with one thing. Kubes is a class act and will do something very special here in Houston. He is putting the puzzle together.......and a lot of pieces are already in place now. Just got to find those few that have tough pegs to match up. Houston will be a force to reckon with.

By the way...........THANKS EVERYONE for the welcomes and good wishes.
we're glad to have your kid aboard; we needed him pretty badly. i appreciate your kindness.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008   #194
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 85708 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hello everyone,

I want to thank everyone for their posts with well wishes and positive comments. I just found out Chris's Jersey number will be 55 for Houston so I changed my name to reflect his number. I look forward to hopefully being on this board for many years with Chris playing for Houston. We are looking forward to come to Houston for many games and hopefully meet many of you. Thanks again
Welcome to both you and your son, sir.
I'm sure there is a sentimental attachment to the name 62Olinesdad, but 55Olinesdad is much, much cooler!!!

Welcome!
michaelm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008   #195
55Olinesdad
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
Welcome to both you and your son, sir.
I'm sure there is a sentimental attachment to the name 62Olinesdad, but 55Olinesdad is much, much cooler!!!

Welcome!

LOL its very odd looking at this new name. Its going to take a bit of time for me to get used to it. Regardless.........62 is long gone and time to make a new mark.
Old 03-19-2008   #196
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
LOL its very odd looking at this new name. Its going to take a bit of time for me to get used to it. Regardless.........62 is long gone and time to make a new mark.
I was just wondering, Did Shanahan want your son to come to the Texans if he left Denver.

Oh and welcome aboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008   #197
55Olinesdad
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbajwp View Post
I was just wondering, Did Shanahan want your son to come to the Texans if he left Denver.

Oh and welcome aboard.
I think Shanny saw a good oppurtunity for Chris to do well with a contract and start right away with Houston. In my view Shanny was stuck between a rock and a hard place with existing starters comming back from injuries and also the cap. In many ways I feel he did wish for Chris to come to Houston and learn from Gibbs and Kubes. You cannot ask for a better situation then that for Chris.
Old 03-20-2008   #198
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 78537 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think Shanny saw a good oppurtunity for Chris to do well with a contract and start right away with Houston. In my view Shanny was stuck between a rock and a hard place with existing starters comming back from injuries and also the cap. In many ways I feel he did wish for Chris to come to Houston and learn from Gibbs and Kubes. You cannot ask for a better situation then that for Chris.
i said it in a previous post but will again, welcome to the team. we're glad to have both of yall here in houston.

with lil shanahan, kubiak, and gibbs in place ... how does chris feel he'll fair in the short term? i'm as critical as they come on linemen (so take no offense in future posts) but the signing of myers automatically struck a chord with me as a positive and immediate impact ... chris is exactly what i wanted for this team. i understand you're biased but it's nice to get an insider's perspective, especially with gibbs being the biggest hardass in football and kubiak being a relative mastermind. my biggest worry with our young guys, especially chris since i'm so high on him is that in the way we're headed it's going to be commonplace to be always doing something wrong despite heading in the right direction. being hard-headed, gritty, nasty, and determined are requirements to survive training camp, let alone becoming the starter we're hoping for. how is chris looking forward to working with the gibbs/kubiak connection not in the "potential" cliche with the team and in a player, but as the aspect of being broken down and made into raw talent as we've brought gibbs in for.
Old 03-20-2008   #199
55Olinesdad
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
i said it in a previous post but will again, welcome to the team. we're glad to have both of yall here in houston.

with lil shanahan, kubiak, and gibbs in place ... how does chris feel he'll fair in the short term? i'm as critical as they come on linemen (so take no offense in future posts) but the signing of myers automatically struck a chord with me as a positive and immediate impact ... chris is exactly what i wanted for this team. i understand you're biased but it's nice to get an insider's perspective, especially with gibbs being the biggest hardass in football and kubiak being a relative mastermind. my biggest worry with our young guys, especially chris since i'm so high on him is that in the way we're headed it's going to be commonplace to be always doing something wrong despite heading in the right direction. being hard-headed, gritty, nasty, and determined are requirements to survive training camp, let alone becoming the starter we're hoping for. how is chris looking forward to working with the gibbs/kubiak connection not in the "potential" cliche with the team and in a player, but as the aspect of being broken down and made into raw talent as we've brought gibbs in for.
Thanks for the welcome Scooter,

I do know that the days prior to the signing with Houston all Chris was concerned about was getting it done and getting to Houston to start workouts at the end of the month. He has been in Miami this week for Easter with us and goes back to Denver on Sunday to pack some things up and get to Houston. He plans to get there extra early and start working out before the scheduled start on the 31st.

Every coach that Chris has had since high school has personally told me that Chris is one of the most coachable players they have ever had. He is a sponge waiting to soak up any coaching given to him. He is very structured and technical. If you get a chance to go to the camp this summer you will be able to see how hard he will work to contribute to the Texans. Already in his heart he is a Texan. He hasnt been there except for the one visit and he is already chomping at the bit to get to work. Chris will fit in with the other linemen no matter where he would of played. Gibbs and Kubes are going to make this O line something special and Chris knows it. He is pumped.
Old 03-20-2008   #200
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Sir, it will not take you long to get use to the new name because we are going to bombard you. Plus, we are going to hear "Chris Myers holds off the Dman allowing Texans Qb to throw for another completion" and did you see the block #55 made on that dude?" On a side note, nothing has been mentioned as to Chris' mom? I do not mean to go into a personal area and offend you but anyway she is very welcome to our "family" also. Happy Easter and may God Bless.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read