Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-12-2008   #41
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP
Default Re: Rotoworld: Texans intersted in meeting with Tacks RB Chris Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
True in part, but then you aren't considering his yards per reception which are piss poor even for a RB--Link

DD by the way averaged 8.3 ypc for 939 yards in his first two years. I seem to recall hearing people around Houston talking about how ineffective all those little dump-offs were.
You know the reason for that though, it was the sheer number of dump-offs that were caused by you-know-who's innability to ready the field and get rid of the ball. Not too many people thought DD was a mediocre back. It was our toal offense that was mediocre.
Old 03-12-2008   #42
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8652 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Isn't Barry Sayer's ypc like the worst in 60 years or something?
Old 03-12-2008   #43
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 302162 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_Gamer View Post
Not too many people thought DD was a mediocre back.
Oh, there were plenty of people who thought DD was a mediocre back and certainly he was not a great one--slightly above average very versatile back, but not a great one. You'll still see people post that DD was really nothing more than a 3rd down back. That is why the Bush contrast is so amusing. 4th round 3rd down RB sure looks good in comparison:

First 2 years:

DD--2,219 rushing yards at 4.2 ypc, 21 TD's, 103 1st downs, 10 of 20+ yds, 3 of 40+ yds, 939 receiving yards at 8.3 ypr, 1 TD, 42 1st downs, 1 of 20+ yds, 8 total fumbles.
Bush--1,146 rushing yards at 3.7 ypc, 10 TD's, 59 1st downs, 3 of 10+ yds, 0 of 40+ yds, 1,159 receiving yards at 5.7 ypr, 4 TD's, 56 1st downs, 6 of 20+, 2 of 40+, 9 fumbles.
Old 03-12-2008   #44
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
and i'll stick up for dayne, in his role as a grinder he was solid and filled in admirably as a starter because our main backs couldnt. he did his job and then some, give him the credit that one of the worst tackles in football (salaam) gets for his efforts. dayne earned his check.
Rep time
Old 03-12-2008   #45
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

I am not hating on Dayne. I would rather have him over Brown and most of the other FA RBs out there. He did his job every where on the field except when we had four tries for one yard.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008   #46
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Oh, there were plenty of people who thought DD was a mediocre back and certainly he was not a great one--slightly above average very versatile back, but not a great one. You'll still see people post that DD was really nothing more than a 3rd down back. That is why the Bush contrast is so amusing. 4th round 3rd down RB sure looks good in comparison:

First 2 years:

DD--2,219 rushing yards at 4.2 ypc, 21 TD's, 103 1st downs, 10 of 20+ yds, 3 of 40+ yds, 939 receiving yards at 8.3 ypr, 1 TD, 42 1st downs, 1 of 20+ yds, 8 total fumbles.
Bush--1,146 rushing yards at 3.7 ypc, 10 TD's, 59 1st downs, 3 of 10+ yds, 0 of 40+ yds, 1,159 receiving yards at 5.7 ypr, 4 TD's, 56 1st downs, 6 of 20+, 2 of 40+, 9 fumbles.

hehe...hehehehe....hehehehehehehe...I love a good bush bashing. Hopefully I'm not too late to join the party.

It's a sad state of affairs where we can't judge someone who was their teams primary RUNNING BACK based on his running yards. LT has good hands too, but he can stand on his rushing totals alone. I want a running back that can run the ball. I said the day he was drafted, and i stand by it...Reggie Bust will NEVER run for 1000 yards in the nfl. Maybe if you add up his punt return yards, trips to the gatorade cooler to fetch for the vets, and miles traveled to and from practice...but by conventional metrics...no. Didn't justin fargas rush for around 1000 last year?

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008   #47
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overalls View Post
I am not hating on Dayne. I would rather have him over Brown and most of the other FA RBs out there. He did his job every where on the field except when we had four tries for one yard.
agree
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-12-2008   #48
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44942 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overalls View Post
I ain't afraid to say it, I hate Ron Dayne. The only roll that Ron Dayne should have with the Texans is working the concession stand at Reliant. Even then he would get stopped right before he got your food to the counter.

Our running game has been in the bottom half for the past two seasons, and guess who has been our primary back? He averaged 59.6 yards a game. His career hi in rushing is 150 yards! Hell, even Gary Brown had a pair of 200 yard games in his short career. Dayne is old man river.

Dayne needs to move on and so does Brown. I would be fine with Green/Taylor/Walker/Draft pick. I predict this though, if they sign a vet back Green will get cut. Theres no room for 4 backs much less 5.

TEXANRED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008   #49
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Ron Dayne.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008   #50
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Dayne needs to move on and so does Brown. I would be fine with Green/Taylor/Walker/Draft pick. I predict this though, if they sign a vet back Green will get cut. Theres no room for 4 backs much less 5.
People were making fun of the Patriots for signing all those WR's last season...looks like it turned out pretty nicely for them.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008   #51
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104642 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I like Ron Dayne.
Sorry, but Dayne's horrible. Lack of vision, lack of speed and doesn't pound tacklers like a 250+ lb RB should.

Obviously Kubiak & Co. have the same feelings.
Old 03-12-2008   #52
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44942 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
People were making fun of the Patriots for signing all those WR's last season...looks like it turned out pretty nicely for them.
Not 5 total but 5 on the active roster. We didn't even carry 3 last year, It was a rotation of Green, Dayne, Gado, and that other guy whose name I can not spell. You can have 5 but then who are you going to put onto the practice squad? Walker, Taylor, and our Draft pick, plus you know we will sign anther UDFA RB and he will land on the practice squad. So then you are looking at 6 backs with four on the practice squad if they really do sign another vet AND keep Green then you will have Green/Taylor/Walker/Draft Pick/UDFA/Vet.

Of course unless we cut Walker, which is possible. I do think we cut Green if we sign a Vet which leaves us Taylor/D.P./UDFA/VET. Which is what I think they are jockeying for.

Even if we do carry 3 on the active roster what spot do you short? OL? WR? DL? ect....

Who knows, maybe he only carried 2 backs last year b/c he really did think that lowly of Walker.

TEXANRED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008   #53
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's the latest on Brown:

http://beta.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

BROWN OUT OF TENNESSEE?
Posted by Mike Florio on March 12, 2008, 8:27 p.m.
Running back Chris Brown hit the open market a year ago after completing his rookie contract with the Titans. After finding not much interest, Brown returned to the Titans.

And after making jaws drop with 175 yards in Week One against the Jaguars, Brown disappeared. Over the balance of the year, he didn’t rush for more than 46 yards in any game, and he finished the season with only 464 yards.

So this time around Brown might not be going back to Tennessee. He has visited the Texans, and there is now a report that the Bears might be interested.

Chicago needs help at the position, with Cedric Benson still not making good on the potential that made him the No. 4 overall draft pick in 2005. With Thomas Jones traded away in 2007, Benson couldn’t get it done as the go-to back.

With all that said, Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that Brown could sign with the Texans as soon as Thursday.

Dear Chicago,

I never ask you for anything so I guess you owe me this: Please sign Chris Brown.

Thanks!

Andrew
Old 03-12-2008   #54
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183543 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

The thing that bothers me most about Brown is that he has not had your typical severe ACL injuries that puts a finite end to your play for a season. He has a history of spaced multiple injuries at multiple different sites putting him out of action for indeterminate periods of time virtually every season. Now you see him, now you don't.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008   #55
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Chris Brown signing imminent

Here

It's acceptable to start a new thread for his actual signing, right? If not - apologies.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008   #56
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5747 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Chris Brown signing imminent

No, you are banned.
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008   #57
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Mods - please move this to the 'nominations for banning this poster' forum, thanks!

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008   #58
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Chris Brown and Ahman Green? Hmmmmm???? Maybe one will be healthy for each game. I doubt it..
stingray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008   #59
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports a deal between the Texans and free agent Chris Browns is expected to be completed by Thursday.
It sounds like Houston may be offering Brown a multi-year deal, but we won't know for sure until the contract is finalized. The Texans seem set to use a running back by committee approach in 2008.
Ahman Green, Chris Brown, Chris Taylor, Darius Walker.

What a crop of runningbacks!
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008   #60
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5747 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Wait, was it acceptable to reply to a new thread started for his actual signing that might not be acceptable to start in the first place?
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read