Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-18-2008   #341
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 104376 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans interested in RB Chris Brown | Update: Signed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
I think the thing Im most worried about is the following depth chart:

Ahman Green - Coming off injury
Chris Brown - Coming off injury
Chris Taylor - Coming off injury
Ron Dayne - Slow with no power

We could easily see any or all those guys go down early in the season, and that means another year of musical RB
Added one for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008   #342
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

To be truthful about it, i dont think its anything as a franchise back anymore. I think a team has to rrun the ball which gives you a physical identity, but the rules have been set up for explosive pass plays. I'm as old school as they come and i really love smash mouth football, but at the rate rb's go down, why spend a high pick or alot of money on them? When was the last time a high 1st rd tb made it to the sb on a team? i love to watch peterson,lt and the other dynamic backs, but how many rings do they have? Peterson showed alot as a rookie, but his back up was a 4th rd pick that ran for 1200 yds the yr before and avg 5 ypc when he was hurt. The colts lost a future hof in james and a 1600 yd back and replaced him with a late 1st rd pick and a cfl guy and won the bowl.

To me its about the running game in general. The 2 superbowl teams had great running games. Maroney, the injured smith, and faulk vs. Jacobs and bradshaw. maroney was a late 1st, morris 3rd rd as well as faulk and jacobs was a 4th and bradshaw a 7th. With the success gibbs and kubes have had with backs no higher than the 2nd on portis, why would they ever pick a back in the 1st? if anyone listens to gibbs long enough from his denver days he basically only like guys out of the traditional 2 back sets that he knows can do what he wants in a back. Also he doesnt like 1st rd lineman. he gets guys specific to what he wants to do . Gibbs will coach the backs and the line for the most part. Backs like Stewart and Mendenhall that run from that spread set are pretty much out of the question.

Back to brown. Brown is probably a gibbs pick. As a titans fan 1st and texans fan 2nd although i would say i'm 51/49 now, the only limitations to brown is health. We can say thats huge and it is to some extent, but he does exactly what gibbs wants. He presses the heels of the linemen, make the cut and comes downhill. He can break the long run and doesnt get arm tackled. The concept of getting 1800-2000 yds from the running game is what will help the texans become a force. Under Shannahan and Kubes as the oc, denver was a 55/45 run pass team and avg 25ppg. They would avg 550 runs a yr which used to be 2nd only to pitts and dallas in the 90's. I expect the same here. Brown will get 225 carries, green if healthy will get 175 and 30 catches and taylor/walker will get the other 150 carries. That means brown will be at about 950-970 yds, Green at 700 yds,and the other 2 at 500 yds. to do this though, the defense has to be good enough to keep you in the run game mode or the team has to be ahead. If the defense isnt good enough and teams get a big lead early, the the carries will be down and pass attempts up.

If guy want to go and get this "franchise back" and the defense isnt good enough, the guy will be on the sideline with his helment chillin because the other team will be running the ball down their throats.
leebigeztx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008   #343
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Added one for you.
Dayne is a UFA and not on the team currently so adding him into that kist is not accurate.
Old 03-20-2008   #344
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 78537 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
To be truthful about it, i dont think its anything as a franchise back anymore. I think a team has to rrun the ball which gives you a physical identity, but the rules have been set up for explosive pass plays. I'm as old school as they come and i really love smash mouth football, but at the rate rb's go down, why spend a high pick or alot of money on them? When was the last time a high 1st rd tb made it to the sb on a team? i love to watch peterson,lt and the other dynamic backs, but how many rings do they have? Peterson showed alot as a rookie, but his back up was a 4th rd pick that ran for 1200 yds the yr before and avg 5 ypc when he was hurt. The colts lost a future hof in james and a 1600 yd back and replaced him with a late 1st rd pick and a cfl guy and won the bowl.

To me its about the running game in general. The 2 superbowl teams had great running games. Maroney, the injured smith, and faulk vs. Jacobs and bradshaw. maroney was a late 1st, morris 3rd rd as well as faulk and jacobs was a 4th and bradshaw a 7th. With the success gibbs and kubes have had with backs no higher than the 2nd on portis, why would they ever pick a back in the 1st? if anyone listens to gibbs long enough from his denver days he basically only like guys out of the traditional 2 back sets that he knows can do what he wants in a back. Also he doesnt like 1st rd lineman. he gets guys specific to what he wants to do . Gibbs will coach the backs and the line for the most part. Backs like Stewart and Mendenhall that run from that spread set are pretty much out of the question.

Back to brown. Brown is probably a gibbs pick. As a titans fan 1st and texans fan 2nd although i would say i'm 51/49 now, the only limitations to brown is health. We can say thats huge and it is to some extent, but he does exactly what gibbs wants. He presses the heels of the linemen, make the cut and comes downhill. He can break the long run and doesnt get arm tackled. The concept of getting 1800-2000 yds from the running game is what will help the texans become a force. Under Shannahan and Kubes as the oc, denver was a 55/45 run pass team and avg 25ppg. They would avg 550 runs a yr which used to be 2nd only to pitts and dallas in the 90's. I expect the same here. Brown will get 225 carries, green if healthy will get 175 and 30 catches and taylor/walker will get the other 150 carries. That means brown will be at about 950-970 yds, Green at 700 yds,and the other 2 at 500 yds. to do this though, the defense has to be good enough to keep you in the run game mode or the team has to be ahead. If the defense isnt good enough and teams get a big lead early, the the carries will be down and pass attempts up.

If guy want to go and get this "franchise back" and the defense isnt good enough, the guy will be on the sideline with his helment chillin because the other team will be running the ball down their throats.
easily the best post i've read in a long time. it's nice to see common sense isnt lost in hype.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read