Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-15-2008   #321
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans interested in RB Chris Brown | Update: Signed

Good post scooter. I agree with you on all points. I'm excited about Chris Brown coming to Houston. I didn't like the Green signing last year because of his age but Brown is in his prime if he can stay healthy. One thing I'll add about Rick Smith and Kubiak signing all these players that fit the system and letting the best man win is that they can draft the best player available instead of reaching to fill a need.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008   #322
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

nice post scoots.

some of us do have issues with the signing, "you can't please everyone" I guess.

1. Chris Brown was a Titan. drafted by & developed by Tennessee.

Fisher left him unprotected for a reason, whether he didn't fit the offense, couldn't stay healthy, whatever seems like another teams discards.

2. Championship pedigree.

What has he done or proven over the course of his career to indicate he will lead his team to a championship? I posted much earlier on in this thread the 2003 Fiesta Bowl & what has he done in Nashville?

3. Character issues.

Chris may be prone to making bone-headed deceisions (started off @ Fort Scott Kan. Junior College, then transferred to Northwestern & redshirted before Colorado, why?) might be physically gifted but is that any guarentee his talent is a blessing for the Texans? not to mention this signing is going to dislodge Darius Walker off the active roster, who has worked his tail off, back to the practice squad.

4. Injury concerns.

Concussion, back, ankle, toe, shoulder & hammy are all applicable injurys sustained over the past 5 years. Is it his running style, body type, what?

5. Texans won't use a high draft pick on an elite RB

Forgive me for wanting a franchise RB ala Adrian Peterson. RB by committee seems like the buzz word for Gibbs style. so now we have locked & loaded Ahman Green & Chris Brown, if Chris Taylor can bounce back thats a bonus.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008   #323
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 128861 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
nice post scoots.

some of us do have issues with the signing, "you can't please everyone" I guess.

1. Chris Brown was a Titan. drafted by & developed by Tennessee.

Fisher left him unprotected for a reason, whether he didn't fit the offense, couldn't stay healthy, whatever seems like another teams discards.

2. Championship pedigree.

What has he done or proven over the course of his career to indicate he will lead his team to a championship? I posted much earlier on in this thread the 2003 Fiesta Bowl & what has he done in Nashville?

3. Character issues.

Chris may be prone to making bone-headed deceisions (started off @ Fort Scott Kan. Junior College, then transferred to Northwestern & redshirted before Colorado, why?) might be physically gifted but is that any guarentee his talent is a blessing for the Texans? not to mention this signing is going to dislodge Darius Walker off the active roster, who has worked his tail off, back to the practice squad.

4. Injury concerns.

Concussion, back, ankle, toe, shoulder & hammy are all applicable injurys sustained over the past 5 years. Is it his running style, body type, what?

5. Texans won't use a high draft pick on an elite RB

Forgive me for wanting a franchise RB ala Adrian Peterson. RB by committee seems like the buzz word for Gibbs style. so now we have locked & loaded Ahman Green & Chris Brown, if Chris Taylor can bounce back thats a bonus.
good questions. i'll attempt to argue each but as you said, some folks arent going to like the signing regardless and i respect that as i'm not exactly fond of a few already signed/resigned.

1. signing divisional castoffs is part of the game, i'm assuming as a way to gain insight on the other team. we did it atleast twice last year (colts db and bucs) with players who i'm drawing a blank on but didnt last past their respective games. it's a matter of opinion, but IMO brown would've been snatched up regardless ... what we did is take from a rival to strengthen ourselves.

2. completely bogus and i'm sure you know it. marino didnt win a ring. everyone outside of san diego wants LT who hasnt made a superbowl appearance. antowain smith has 2 rings and couldnt make it half way through preseason.

3. i got nothing, i dont know enough about brown's background to agree or argue. as far as dislodging players ... isnt that the point? fans can play favoritism til we're blue in the face, when coaches do we're in heaps of trouble. every signing should beat someone for the job ... the beauty of this signing is it's dirt cheap, these guys have to COMPETE for a job. neither is guaranteed anything.

4. injuries are a concern but as far as i can tell (which isnt far at all) none are career threatening or recurrences by default. history isnt on our side, but it's not necessarily against us either.

5. as i said in my last post, chris brown has zero effect on our draft and free agent signings. he's not being paid to save the franchise, hell at his current status he's nowhere guaranteed a roster spot.

arguing each individually makes more fun, but i'll reiterate what i've said ... every concern about brown can be squashed with one word - price. brown signed for butt nothing and if he boselli's on us we're not losing much at all. minimal loss, we lose the opportunity to sign a couple of college walkons. on the flipside if brown manages to do what he's done when healthy he can not only fit the system, but thrive in it. minimum risk, big reward. i keep going back to it, but this is our 06 defensive tackle push when we had so many injuries ... this is a spot we need filled. sign every minimum possible and see what sticks.
Old 03-15-2008   #324
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 243112 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Came across this video of Brown from his Colorado days.............Observe his running style.........it hasn't really changed..............and one cut and go........
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008   #325
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 128861 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Came across this video of Brown from his Colorado days.............Observe his running style.........it hasn't really changed.
follow the linemen, not the hole (zbs preaching) ... one cut and go
Old 03-15-2008   #326
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 243112 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
follow the linemen, not the hole (zbs preaching) ...
You must have responded as I was adding that very same point.
Old 03-15-2008   #327
TexanAddict
Texan 'til I Die

Rep Power: 77 TexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Just saw this after getting back from vacation. I think it is a good pickup. We could use a running back and he can use a new situation. He was a mean runner in college. He was a good back in the first couple of years of his pro career but injuries caught him. Wasn't he the guy Simmons laid out? Dislocated his shoulder I think.

Rick Smith is smart to take a chance on Brown, maybe he has a good year with the opportunities he will get with the Texans.
TexanAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-15-2008   #328
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
arguing each individually makes more fun, but i'll reiterate what i've said ... every concern about brown can be squashed with one word - price. brown signed for butt nothing and if he boselli's on us we're not losing much at all. minimal loss, we lose the opportunity to sign a couple of college walkons. on the flipside if brown manages to do what he's done when healthy he can not only fit the system, but thrive in it. minimum risk, big reward. i keep going back to it, but this is our 06 defensive tackle push when we had so many injuries ... this is a spot we need filled. sign every minimum possible and see what sticks.
not my intention to argue points just a reflection of what many out here are thinking Gibbs prophecy fullfilled

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008   #329
Scooter
Funky

lol thanks for the video ... the texans DB's arent known for their coverage skills but they'll damn sure hit somebody (simmons & dunta ... are there any smaller players in the NFL or any who hit harder?). not having to play the texans twice a year should help brown's injury risk.
Old 03-15-2008   #330
Dcolbyt
starter

Where do you see Darius Walker? He looked good too!Except that his size seemed to help him and hurt him.
Old 03-15-2008   #331
Dcolbyt
starter

Or what about Alexander from Seatle?
Old 03-15-2008   #332
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 86293 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcolbyt View Post
Or what about Alexander from Seatle?
My guess is that Alexander is going to sign a decent sized deal to be some poor teams RB1 or RB2. I don't think the Texans would be interested in him as they already have a somewhat injury prone RB with Green. I also imagine that this is going to make it very difficult for Darius Walker to find a spot on this team unless he really works his butt off in camp.
Old 03-15-2008   #333
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans interested in RB Chris Brown/Signed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
I think its a good move, what?

GP, I think you should step back for a few days, stretch the legs a bit. I am sure if you talk to Herv he can recommend a good place to chill for a while. You are starting to sound an awful lot like our resident troll Nighthawk, or worse, the infamous BoBo.

You are blasting everything the Texans do. If Rick Smith stopped to pick up a quarter you would probably start an entire thread about how Rick Smith is waisting time and thats why this team never signs any good players.

Chill, its only the offseason.
Advice taken.

I have pulled away from the dark side, and the force is now balanced again. I am burying the hatchet on the QB and RB situations. It's going to be a whole new GP--I am reformed and on the wagon. Sorry to everyone for being a titty baby for so long on those two issues.

I need to see the big picture, and not paint with a broad brush.
Old 03-16-2008   #334
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 86293 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Thnx you GP that took guts to post. First post from an I-phone
Old 03-16-2008   #335
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Default Re: Texans interested in RB Chris Brown/Signed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Advice taken.

I have pulled away from the dark side, and the force is now balanced again. I am burying the hatchet on the QB and RB situations. It's going to be a whole new GP--I am reformed and on the wagon. Sorry to everyone for being a titty baby for so long on those two issues.

I need to see the big picture, and not paint with a broad brush.
Welcome back.
Old 03-16-2008   #336
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 294595 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

GP, I did the same thing with the Schaub trade last year. I went from being raving mad about it, to later a big supporter of it, and now I'm in a wait and see mode. As to this deal, I also didn't like it at first, but after some posts getting though my thick skull he was being signed cheap to add debth, I'm OK with it now.

We all make mistakes and then later step back and sometimes change our minds, and then change them again. LOL

It's called being human.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008   #337
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Thnx you GP that took guts to post. First post from an I-phone
I think we're getting an I-phone in a week or so. How you liking it?
Old 03-18-2008   #338
Scooter
Funky

i'd like to see this thread keep going. how does brown match up with our line? how does he compare with what gibbs wants? what are are go-to plays with brown in the lineup? how does brown stack up when healthy ... does he start over green or do they split time or does green start? because of age & risk, do you committee 3 or is it a 4+ way competition for exclusive #1? what type of complimentary draft are we looking at with green/brown/walker+ ? (we will draft a RB or sign many UFA's). how likely is it that neither green or brown even make the starter with both the draft and june 1st cuts coming up?
Old 03-18-2008   #339
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 72911 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the thing Im most worried about is the following depth chart:

Ahman Green - Coming off injury
Chris Brown - Coming off injury
Chris Taylor - Coming off injury

We could easily see any or all those guys go down early in the season, and that means another year of musical RB
Old 03-18-2008   #340
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 320620 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
i'd like to see this thread keep going. how does brown match up with our line? how does he compare with what gibbs wants?
When Brown was at the University of Colorado, he ran in this same system and was effective.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read