Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-14-2008   #301
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans interested in RB Chris Brown/Signed

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Good god, isn't there a way to temporarily ban him so he can calm down for a sec? Goddamn.
Can you please not use that kind of language. It is not necesary.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #302
TITAN1
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 TITAN1 is a Hall of FamerTITAN1 is a Hall of FamerTITAN1 is a Hall of FamerTITAN1 is a Hall of FamerTITAN1 is a Hall of FamerTITAN1 is a Hall of FamerTITAN1 is a Hall of FamerTITAN1 is a Hall of FamerTITAN1 is a Hall of FamerTITAN1 is a Hall of Famer

I have always liked Chris Brown. When healthy, he is usually productive and can break off the long one at any time. Hopefully, he can stay healthy in Houston.
TITAN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #303
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrewster2000 View Post
Can you please not use that kind of language. It is not necesary.
Why not just send that as a PM message?

It has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #304
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
We did get him on the cheap, that's for sure. As long as he's thought of as backup and debth for the RB position, and we are still going after our franchise back in the draft and NOT expecting our franchise back to be ANYONE currently with a contract, I guess I'm OK with it. Lots of ifs there, but that's how I feel about it.

I don't see where any one of the backs we have under contract right now should be considered our future. Not a single one of them. Not even Dayne, whom I'm going to miss quite frankly.
It's @ redund@nt pick. Morency with more injuries due to his very upright running style. So now we seem to be collecting them ? there is no purpose to this st@ffs collection of t@llent...they continue to me@nder into helter skelter. The hump ye@r....will there be ye@r six ?

The "boys" first boo-boo.

Ronnie just got the c@ll from the turk.

Looks more @nd more like there will not be @ Rb with the first three picks...something I predicted three months @go btw... s@y hello to Corey Boyd or someone simul@r. . if @t @ll.
Old 03-14-2008   #305
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 119106 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
It's @ redund@nt pick. Morency with more injuries due to his very upright running style. So now we seem to be collecting them ? there is no purpose to this st@ffs collection of t@llent...they continue to me@nder into helter skelter. The hump ye@r....will there be ye@r six ?

Looks more @nd more like there will not be @ Rb with the first three picks...something I predicted three months @go btw... s@y hello to Corey Boyd or someone simul@r. . if @t @ll.
Is there something wrong with your 'A' button?
Old 03-14-2008   #306
Texaninlild
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4558 Texaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Texaninlild

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post

Eric Dickerson and Roger Craig both had upright running styles. They were pretty ok.

This doesn't bother me, but I was hoping to get a back by round 4, but that may not happen.

I think a more important signing would be the center from Denver. A starter who knows the offense, that would be nice.

Oh and the A key is on the left of the keyboard and does not require 'shift' to be used in conjunction with it. Therefore the A key might be a better choice in the future. It could save you from carpel tunnel syndrome.

Last edited by Texaninlild; 03-14-2008 at 01:50 PM.
Texaninlild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #307
Texaninlild
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4558 Texaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Good god, isn't there a way to temporarily ban him so he can calm down for a sec? Goddamn.
b0ng is going to hell!
Sponsored links
Old 03-14-2008   #308
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 119106 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

IIRC, Eddie George ran kind of upright, didn't he? He was a big dude though. I met him a looong time ago and the dude's built like a brick shithouse. :elle:
Old 03-14-2008   #309
Texaninlild
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
IIRC, Eddie George ran kind of upright, didn't he? He was a big dude though. I met him a looong time ago and the dude's built like a brick shithouse. :elle:
Eddie George eventually broke down, but he had some very good years. Brown doesn't have nearly as many miles on his tires.

I see Brown more as a 2 x 4 with a quarter moon on the door shithouse.

Old 03-14-2008   #310
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 93152 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I am for the signing. Mark my words if (if being the big word with Chris Brown) he is healthy through camp and for as long as he stays healthy, he will be the starter for our team.

If he is not we paid chicken feed for him so who cares.
Old 03-14-2008   #311
austintexanite
All Pro

I'm not completely sold on Brown, but I think he can add good depth for us and he can hit the hole a lot quicker than Ron can. Having said that, I doubt than Ron will comeback and thank him for helping us out for the past two years. Like him or hate him, he was probably the most consistent back we had during his tenure. I wonder if we could have waited a little bit more and given Kevin Jones a shot, but I guess Detroit released him too late.

I remember Brown from Colorado and he still runs the same way in the NFL, which leaves him susceptible to big hits and injuries. He always ran hard, but with him and Ahman as our two main backs I'm thinking that Darius and Chris Taylor will have make some massive strides and pick up the slack when/if one of these guys goes down again.

Finally, I severely doubt we are going to draft a RB with our first pick, so now it's down to either CB, OT, OLB.
Old 03-14-2008   #312
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texaninlild View Post
Eddie George eventually broke down, but he had some very good years. Brown doesn't have nearly as many miles on his tires.

Eddie George was also consistantly one of the backs with top # of rush Attempts per year. It caught up with him.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #313
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 64444 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
You gotta' be kidding me.

The free agent move we make is for a guy who can't wrestle the starting job from LenDale White?

I want to publicly state that I am ready to fist-fight anybody who thinks this is a good move. He's injury-prone and M.I.A. as much as Green was last year.

Forget the details of the contract. I wouldn't care if we'd spent $1 on him. To me, that's $1 that could have bought a burger for Dayne.

LOL. I hate this team. We are so retarded when it comes to running backs.
I think its a good move, what?

GP, I think you should step back for a few days, stretch the legs a bit. I am sure if you talk to Herv he can recommend a good place to chill for a while. You are starting to sound an awful lot like our resident troll Nighthawk, or worse, the infamous BoBo.

You are blasting everything the Texans do. If Rick Smith stopped to pick up a quarter you would probably start an entire thread about how Rick Smith is waisting time and thats why this team never signs any good players.

Chill, its only the offseason.

TEXANRED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #314
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 64444 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
Why not just send that as a PM message?

It has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.
And this does?

TEXANRED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #315
Bulluck53
All Pro

Rep Power: 1628 Bulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respected

In Houston's situation I see this as a good signing. You guys lack a true #1 back but the combination you have should suffice. Brown's biggest obstacle is obviously his health. Even as a part-time guy for us last year he got hurt and missed some practices. He does have speed and is a lot more elusive then he seems. He hits the hole quckly and has pretty good vision. He is best used as a receiver out of the backfield as he has a knack for making the first man miss. He's good on screens and the like. It will be interesting to see him in the zone-blocking scheme.

FYI, he did get a chance to start... it was the year after we let Eddie walk, which was made easier by the promise Brown showed the year before and in the playoffs, but he got hurt and never really amounted to anything.
Bulluck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008   #316
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans interested in RB Chris Brown | Update: Signed

Just saw this after getting back from vacation. I think it is a good pickup. We could use a running back and he can use a new situation. He was a mean runner in college. He was a good back in the first couple of years of his pro career but injuries caught him. Wasn't he the guy Simmons laid out? Dislocated his shoulder I think.

Rick Smith is smart to take a chance on Brown, maybe he has a good year with the opportunities he will get with the Texans.

Last edited by TexansSeminole; 03-15-2008 at 12:29 AM.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008   #317
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
It's not often you get to mix in football and Hanson in the same post. Bravo, sir.
Forgive my writing but working 15 hour days is kicking my ass. Work at normal job real slow so I have been working SXSW and doing Personal Assistance work with a production company and one of the bands we had was Hanson. the funny thing is that there were as many 20 year girls as there were 40 + year old ladies. It was funny seeing that.
Old 03-15-2008   #318
rickyb
Scarlet is hot.

Rep Power: 211 rickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texaninlild View Post

I love that the board will allow a word like ******house (those are my asterisks; not a prude, i just recognize that some kids read this), but type in the word ***** (that's I D -- I -- O-- T) and the asterisk police blot it out.

rickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008   #319
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 108211 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i've either ignored or skimmed most of the posts so forgive me if i missed something relevent, but dang yall are worked up over a backup working a near minimum salary. this has been a less than eventful offseason obviously but put that effort into our biggest free agent, coach gibbs, and what he can do with the current roster and what it's going to do to impact our scheme and draft and future season.

chris brown is a solid player who's injury prone. when healthy he's been successful and coming from a division rival who we play twice a season is worth signing. brown fits what kubiak/gibbs/shanahan are building and at very least can compete in camp for a starter or backup role. he has zero bearing on the draft or other potential free agent signings. what brown is, is exactly how rick smith has been so successful thus far. low risk, high reward ... talents fit the the system ... costs next to nothing relatively ... and if nothing else boosts the talent level of the overall 53. since it's the current flavor it's comparative to the current rockets' success - TEAM talent instead of individual talent. with brown our group talent is higher.

kubiak and smith have done a great job of building this team in two ways ... schaub is one direction and brown is the other. in schaub the office researched their hearts out and threw the bank at one player. brown is at the other end of the spectrum and why we've gone from a 2-14 team to an 8-8 team under a rookie coach and office ... sign 300 players for pennies who fit the system and let the best man win. we've missed twice so far on big spending (weaver/green) simply because we were so far behind that reaches needed to be made, but these nickel potential signings are paying huge (walter, demps, kalu, leach, killings, andre davis, cochran, and many more).

brown's a nickel signing that cant hurt us, but is capable of helping us in a big way.

hell if nothing else ... if brown, green, and taylor can each play 5 or more games before their inevitable injury, we're in good shape.
Old 03-15-2008   #320
markn
All Pro

Rep Power: 31617 markn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
i've either ignored or skimmed most of the posts so forgive me if i missed something relevent, but dang yall are worked up over a backup working a near minimum salary. this has been a less than eventful offseason obviously but put that effort into our biggest free agent, coach gibbs, and what he can do with the current roster and what it's going to do to impact our scheme and draft and future season.

chris brown is a solid player who's injury prone. when healthy he's been successful and coming from a division rival who we play twice a season is worth signing. brown fits what kubiak/gibbs/shanahan are building and at very least can compete in camp for a starter or backup role. he has zero bearing on the draft or other potential free agent signings. what brown is, is exactly how rick smith has been so successful thus far. low risk, high reward ... talents fit the the system ... costs next to nothing relatively ... and if nothing else boosts the talent level of the overall 53. since it's the current flavor it's comparative to the current rockets' success - TEAM talent instead of individual talent. with brown our group talent is higher.

kubiak and smith have done a great job of building this team in two ways ... schaub is one direction and brown is the other. in schaub the office researched their hearts out and threw the bank at one player. brown is at the other end of the spectrum and why we've gone from a 2-14 team to an 8-8 team under a rookie coach and office ... sign 300 players for pennies who fit the system and let the best man win. we've missed twice so far on big spending (weaver/green) simply because we were so far behind that reaches needed to be made, but these nickel potential signings are paying huge (walter, demps, kalu, leach, killings, andre davis, cochran, and many more).

brown's a nickel signing that cant hurt us, but is capable of helping us in a big way.

hell if nothing else ... if brown, green, and taylor can each play 5 or more games before their inevitable injury, we're in good shape.
So much common sense in one post.
markn is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read