Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-14-2008   #261
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans interested in RB Chris Brown/Signed

This signing is cheap for a possible high reward like other players at other positions. Good competition. 10-12 carries by Brown @ 4yds avg will be acceptable. I see Brown as a third down back with enough speed to break one sort of a cheaper and younger Green. TC is where it comes together. I see Green likely a June 1st cut to save $3.8 million cap unless Brown collapses & Walker or Taylor are disappointing. I still see a ZBS type back on 2nd day.

With Stewart a ? with his toe requiring surgery, Kevin Smith and Forte are looking better.
Old 03-14-2008   #262
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrewster2000 View Post
Brown's contract says backup to me. And that being said, I have no understanding as to why a backup signing has you so pissed. If you want to be pissed after they draft a RB then fine, but hold off until then.

And aswer peoples questions for once. Alot of people on here ask you legitimate questions that you just blow off by continuing to repeat the rant that you started off with, and the adding nothing else to the discussion. I think for the most part we would all tolerate your specific brand of pessimism, if you didnt talk down to people so much, and just assume that you opinion is the only right one.

By the way saying that you want to fist fight people that think this is a good signing (which I do, for what it is) is rediculuos. Get over yourself. You act like you are 13 instead of 31 sometimes.
Well, if you missed the sarcasm with the smiley I provided...then blame yourself for that one. In the old days, in the bginning of the original houstontexans.com board, I actually had a guy replying to me and ASKING me to meet him at a truck stop to fight him. Seriously.

Look, I am going to lay this down. I don't want the thread getting locked up because everyone's battling me, or I'm battling them. I am going to try and use restraint.

It's just that there's a lot of parroting going on here. A lot of people rubber-stamping the RB situation, believing that it's workable. I disagree.
Old 03-14-2008   #263
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
LOL. I hate this team. We are so retarded when it comes to running backs.
We don't think too much of you either. We should cut the tie and count our losses before we get to deep.

Goodbye and good luck.
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #264
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Seriously?

You think it plays out in a way where those two guys are spelling each other? Goodness, look at Chris Brown's attendance record. Please. He's just all of a sudden going to change? No way, man. I'll take the other side of your theory and say that Darius Walker and Chris Taylor will be the ones switching in and out.
Two years in a row we have taken a gamble on a talented runner who won't be healthy enough to make a lasting contribution. And two years in a row, people are trying to rationalize and justify it.

At least with my support of Carr, there was some reasoning behind it: Could Kubiak reform David Carr in a new system...could he do what he did with other QBs?" In addition, I am not in love with Sage as you have tried to paint it: I want an open competition and a chance for the QB to win the job and to not be crowned AS HAPPENED WITH DAVID CARR. For all of the times you try to say that I lie and distort facts, you sure spend a lot of time doing the same thing to me.

Two years in a row we have posters who parrot each other and pat each other on the back in regards to us signing a worthless running back. This must be Chris Brown's last stop in the NFL for as cheap as he signed.

And, I guess we'll all be scrambling on the football websites (and this one, too) on Saturday nights and Sunday mornings...trying to find out whether Ahman or Brown is the one playing on Sunday. Is that how you want to spend your time? Trying to find out who's healthy enough to play each Sunday?

(A) Taylor had a knee issue. Is it OK? Will it aggrevate and bench him?

(B) Ahman lasts exactly three plays in each game before getting banged up.

(C) Chris Brown is a total enigma, splitting time with Henry and White.

(D) That leaves Darius Walker who was cut, re-signed, and didn't look too bad in the limited time he had with us at the end of the season. From the posts I saw, I didn't see too many people with high hopes for him. I was not anticipating anything special from him.

Our running back situation is far from being stable. Not even with a RBBC situation. Sorry to be the pessimist (again). If you guys would level out your pie-in-the-sky outlooks on the perpetually awful condition of our running back crew, then I'd shut up. But there's just not a level of honesty going on here, with yourselves and with the others on the board, in terms of how bad it is. It's not good. Period. Gibbs and LUCK will save us.
Seriously, I'm not sure where you get your info or where you theories come from but do you really think that Kubes and Smith would go after another RB if they thought Walker and Taylor would split?I mean give me a break. My scenario actually makes alot of sense. You have Green who was never injured until a year before we got him and last year. He still has talent and is getting a little older. He knows the system. You have Chris Brown, the most talented of the bunch , who played at Colorado and was taught Gibbs system at Colorado. If you have two guys who get banged up, yet are talented..you split them and keep them fresh. Its pretty simple. You are probably drafting a back and still have Taylor. In your world we would just keep rotating backups and 3rd stringers.

BTW. you don't thionk Gibbs signed off on this...he coached the kid up in his system!!
Old 03-14-2008   #265
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

GP, you love to play the me vs. the world card, even when it's not there. Have you read through this entire thread? There are very, very few "pie-in-the-sky", Chris Brown is the man and is going to save our running game posts. There are quite a few oh ok, he was cheap and could help us if he stays healthy, ok but not great signing posts. If you would stop trying to polarize everyone's opinions into black and white you might realize that we all agree more than you seem to acknowledge.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #266
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Pride View Post
We don't think too much of you either. We should cut the tie and count our losses before we get to deep.

Goodbye and good luck.
Thanks for saying it. I don't like that he calls things "retarded" either.
Old 03-14-2008   #267
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well, if you missed the sarcasm with the smiley I provided...then blame yourself for that one. In the old days, in the bginning of the original houstontexans.com board, I actually had a guy replying to me and ASKING me to meet him at a truck stop to fight him. Seriously.

Look, I am going to lay this down. I don't want the thread getting locked up because everyone's battling me, or I'm battling them. I am going to try and use restraint.

It's just that there's a lot of parroting going on here. A lot of people rubber-stamping the RB situation, believing that it's workable. I disagree.
I am really not trying to battle you just trying to get you to answer questions. I am not rubber stamping anything either, I just dont see any reason to get ticked about a backup RB being signed to the team.

And you did further my other points by choosing to ignore the questions I asked.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-14-2008   #268
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
Seriously, I'm not sure where you get your info or where you theories come from but do you really think that Kubes and Smith would go after another RB if they thought Walker and Taylor would split?I mean give me a break. My scenario actually makes alot of sense. You have Green who was never injured until a year before we got him and last year. He still has talent and is getting a little older. He knows the system. You have Chris Brown, the most talented of the bunch , who played at Colorado and was taught Gibbs system at Colorado. If you have two guys who get banged up, yet are talented..you split them and keep them fresh. Its pretty simple. You are probably drafting a back and still have Taylor. In your world we would just keep rotating backups and 3rd stringers.

BTW. you don't thionk Gibbs signed off on this...he coached the kid up in his system!!
Frog:

In a true spirit (from me) to discuss the issues and separate the personalities from it, here's my response:

(A) I just dislike putting faith in banged up players. I see a potential pattern in your analysis of our players: You and I disagree on Matt Schaub--I personally think he's injury-prone and not going to be able to last due to his playing style/shortcomings that will always endanger him. You think I'm a turd for suggesting it (fair to say?).

(B) I would rather have Walker and Taylor (hopefully he's healed) than two guys who are seemingly always M.I.A., and you are thinking that at least one of them will be healthy at all times.

Being an analytical guy, I conclude that you're always putting faith and "uspide" in high priority.

I guess I've had my soul crushed too many times, with this team, to really feel safe in the idea of placing stock in what I'm told about RB acquisitions.

I also think we draft a RB...but it'll be so late in the draft that it's going to take a miracle un-earthing of Terrell Davis proportions to make any difference.
Old 03-14-2008   #269
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrewster2000 View Post
I am really not trying to battle you just trying to get you to answer questions. I am not rubber stamping anything either, I just dont see any reason to get ticked about a backup RB being signed to the team.

And you did further my other points by choosing to ignore the questions I asked.
If we were serious, we'd have signed Warrick Dunn who is arguably more durable than Ahman and Brown put together. Plus, as Frog says about Brown having been in Colorado's system under Gibbs, Dunn was also in the Gibbs system and the stories say that Gibbs took the Falcons from being a bad running team to being a lot better.

Yeah, I'm ticked off that we signed a cripple. Regardless of contract or roster depth. Like I said: Gibbs and LUCK will be needed.
Old 03-14-2008   #270
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
OJ was a much stronger runner inside, more explosive and was more physically imposing....not to mention his "slashing style" of running (couldn't resist).
I guess what I mean is Stride. Their strides are similar. OJ did run up more too though but mostly after the LOS>
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #271
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
GP, you love to play the me vs. the world card, even when it's not there. Have you read through this entire thread? There are very, very few "pie-in-the-sky", Chris Brown is the man and is going to save our running game posts. There are quite a few oh ok, he was cheap and could help us if he stays healthy, ok but not great signing posts. If you would stop trying to polarize everyone's opinions into black and white you might realize that we all agree more than you seem to acknowledge.
There needs to be more "What?! Again?" posts.

It's like we used all of our anger and outtrage on David Carr, and now that he's gone...well, anything we do has got be better or smarter. I just don't see very much open criticism of a move that adds virtually no long-term payoff for us.

And for as much as we hate being laughed at, by the media and by co-workers etc., I really thought we'd all agree to not be so gullible about these sorts of signings anymore. His position on the RB depth chart is of no consequence to me. It's another bad move.
Old 03-14-2008   #272
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Frog:

In a true spirit (from me) to discuss the issues and separate the personalities from it, here's my response:

(A) I just dislike putting faith in banged up players. I see a potential pattern in your analysis of our players: You and I disagree on Matt Schaub--I personally think he's injury-prone and not going to be able to last due to his playing style/shortcomings that will always endanger him. You think I'm a turd for suggesting it (fair to say?).

(B) I would rather have Walker and Taylor (hopefully he's healed) than two guys who are seemingly always M.I.A., and you are thinking that at least one of them will be healthy at all times.

Being an analytical guy, I conclude that you're always putting faith and "uspide" in high priority.

I guess I've had my soul crushed too many times, with this team, to really feel safe in the idea of placing stock in what I'm told about RB acquisitions.

I also think we draft a RB...but it'll be so late in the draft that it's going to take a miracle un-earthing of Terrell Davis proportions to make any difference.
So which is it? You don't like banged up players or like Taylor who has had an injury worse then either Green or Brown?

In an earlier post you basically screamed that Kubiak would never draft a RB in the 1st round. My question (and I know the odds of you answering it are low) is how do you reconcile that comment with the fact that the Texans/Kubiak were trying to trade back up to draft DeAngelo Willimas.

In addition to that when have we ever been in a position where a RB was the BPA on the baord when we drafted inthe 1st (under Kubiak and Smith)? Willaims over Bush was the right decsion. I think a slight arguement could be made that Lynch might have been ok at 10 last year, but if FA has taught us anything (besides that OG are getting paid lately) it is that a good/great DT is much harder to find then a good/great RB.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #273
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

It's like we used all of our anger and outtrage on David Carr, and now that he's gone...well, anything we do has got be better or smarter. I just don't see very much open criticism of a move that adds virtually no long-term payoff for us.
That's fine, if you want to be outraged that there aren't enough outraged people on the boards that's cool, whatever. But if 6 months from now Chris Brown goes down with a season ending nipple injury I don't want to see you on here spouting your "I told you so! You were all shooting sunshine out of your ass and saying he was going to be a HoF'er but I knew it all along!" when in truth most everyone's taking a wait and see approach.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #274
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 125605 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If we were serious, we'd have signed Warrick Dunn who is arguably more durable than Ahman and Brown put together. Plus, as Frog says about Brown having been in Colorado's system under Gibbs, Dunn was also in the Gibbs system and the stories say that Gibbs took the Falcons from being a bad running team to being a lot better.

Yeah, I'm ticked off that we signed a cripple. Regardless of contract or roster depth. Like I said: Gibbs and LUCK will be needed.
33 year oldWarrick Dunn contract:
Quote:
3/10/2008: Signed a two-year, $6 million contract. The deal includes $2 million in guarantees. 2008-2009: $3 million, 2010: Free Agent
27 year old Chris Brown contract:
Quote:
Brown, who turns 27 next month, signed a two-year contract worth $3.6 million on Thursday. He received an $800,000 signing bonus.
Hmm....for a situational type RB I'll take....let's see here....boy this is a tough one.......

Dude, get a grip!
Old 03-14-2008   #275
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

And for as much as we hate being laughed at, by the media and by co-workers etc., I really thought we'd all agree to not be so gullible about these sorts of signings anymore. His position on the RB depth chart is of no consequence to me. It's another bad move.

sorry but its not carr ..for the most part, the new staff have shown they're more than competent at evaluating personnel and deserve the benefit of the doubt
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #276
GP 
Go Texans!

I do realize Dunn signed for more, which is why I say that the contract details of no significance to me. Giving Brown $800,000 is giving Brown $800,000 to be called a Texans RB before he's cut and gone...providing no long-term payoff for this team, which is my main beef. If we're going to make a move in free agency, at least make one with logical sense: Dunn would be better, hypothetically, than Chris Brown.

Dunn is arguably better than Chris Brown. Dunn costs more. I would have liked to have seen us stone up and pay for a better RB than what we have now.
Old 03-14-2008   #277
Arky
Veteran

Rep Power: 2327 Arky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respected

Actually, I think GP makes some valid points. Perhaps a little harsh sometimes but logical and valid, IMO.

One thing is I see people keep saying is that Chris Brown has "breakaway speed", "could bust a long one", "take it to the house type back", etc, etc. In reality, he's only gone 40+ yards twice in his career (5 years, 54 games). Twice. Hell, Darius Walker who has only been in 4 NFL games has one run of 40+ yards.... Yet, he might be the odd man out... :-/
Arky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #278
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
So which is it? You don't like banged up players or like Taylor who has had an injury worse then either Green or Brown?

In an earlier post you basically screamed that Kubiak would never draft a RB in the 1st round. My question (and I know the odds of you answering it are low) is how do you reconcile that comment with the fact that the Texans/Kubiak were trying to trade back up to draft DeAngelo Willimas.

In addition to that when have we ever been in a position where a RB was the BPA on the baord when we drafted inthe 1st (under Kubiak and Smith)? Willaims over Bush was the right decsion. I think a slight arguement could be made that Lynch might have been ok at 10 last year, but if FA has taught us anything (besides that OG are getting paid lately) it is that a good/great DT is much harder to find then a good/great RB.
Well, at least give a young kid (Taylor) a chance to show he's healed. Schaub is being given that chance, so can Taylor.

Chris Brown has been given lots of seasons. Ahman has a condition that I think we all feel is a pretty chronic or not-so-hopeful situation.

I'd take Darius Walker at this stage, and hopefully a healed Taylor, over two guys (Ahman and Brown) who, IMO, are not going to give us a payoff.
Old 03-14-2008   #279
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

sometmes I feel like
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #280
GP 
Go Texans!

I give up.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read